Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Are We A Big Enough Club To Be Self Sufficient AND . . . .

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:11 am

. . . . still compete at the top level?

I know a few clubs have done it like Burnley, Stoke and Hull but you need a hell of a lot of luck as well.

If we had the scenario that someone came in paid off every debt and then said, "there you go, now we only spend what we bring in", would you be happy or would you want a money man who threw money at it again with the chance of future trouble?

If I had £20million and could get rid of the debt (on the cheap :D ) I'd like to think we could be self sufficient, apart from the fact tit head has used our future income. But I reckon I'd be a hated chairman for not splashing the cash.

Just not sure we know what we want, we are annoyed at spending money that we do not have but loved it when we were the big spenders in the 3rd (old money) division even though that is where the debt began to grow.

Don't you just love football, never was a business opportunity yet so much money is thrown at it.

Re: Are We A Big Enough Club To Be Self Sufficient AND . . . .

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:19 am

Wayne S wrote:. . . . still compete at the top level?

I know a few clubs have done it like Burnley, Stoke and Hull but you need a hell of a lot of luck as well.

If we had the scenario that someone came in paid off every debt and then said, "there you go, now we only spend what we bring in", would you be happy or would you want a money man who threw money at it again with the chance of future trouble?

If I had £20million and could get rid of the debt (on the cheap :D ) I'd like to think we could be self sufficient, apart from the fact tit head has used our future income. But I reckon I'd be a hated chairman for not splashing the cash.

Just not sure we know what we want, we are annoyed at spending money that we do not have but loved it when we were the big spenders in the 3rd (old money) division even though that is where the debt began to grow.

Don't you just love football, never was a business opportunity yet so much money is thrown at it.

Our business model has to be finding the Roger Johnson's in the lower leagues (or developing good academy players) getting 2 or 3 good seasons out of them and selling on at a big profit.

We have done that in the past but for whatever reason decided to derail things by splash out on resigning Chopra and bunging a £1m on Hudson.

Added to wages we couldn't afford (espiecally at boardroom level) we ended up living beyond our means.

If we turf this hopless lot out, it has to be a case of back to basics.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:24 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

That's my point, back to basics is good but can we placate the fans with efficient running and no big spends :?:

Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:04 pm

The bottom line is we're a capital city football club. We should be! We just need to get rid of the spongers. Realistic wages and realistic targets over a realistic period of time. Enough of this £15k wages per player per week for success now. It's taken the self sufficient clubs years to have success. We need to scrap what we have and start again if we're to be as successful as we can be. Right now the best we're going to be is a yo-yo team.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Our average gate is 20k. True, there are some teams [excluding Derby & Newcastle] who are getting between 3k and 5k more for their home games.

That equats to £2 million extra per season at tops. However we alledgedly get close to a £million in rent from Rugby and other areas, so probably not a massive amount of difference in income, despite what people may think

Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:15 pm

We have done that in the past but for whatever reason decided to derail things by splash out on resigning Chopra and bunging a £1m on Hudson.

Added to wages we couldn't afford (espiecally at boardroom level) we ended up living beyond our means.

Back to basics, and back to league 1!

Had we not bought Chopra, or spent any money strengthening I would imagine the majority of fans would have been pretty annoyed! Especially given the money we had from transfers.
Obviously now we can see it wasn't the best thing to do, but I would imagine the club were under some pretty huge pressure to sign players.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Wayne S wrote:. . . . still compete at the top level?

Our business model has to be finding the Roger Johnson's in the lower leagues (or developing good academy players) getting 2 or 3 good seasons out of them and selling on at a big profit.

The business model doesn't need to be the one you described. That model is needed now due to the way Ridsdale has run things - big wages on players, additional stadium managers etc.

Burnley, after all, were hardly a big selling club. Nor Swansea, who seem to be doing ok.

The model simply needs to work on two levels; increase income streams ( I'd revamp the Premier Club stuff for a start, offer deals/compensation to existing members ) and lessen the wage bill. Initially, that would necessitate some player sales at the right price - bring in decent players without paying the wages Ridsdale has done. Wages > Income cannot be allowed to succeed.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:48 pm

We all seem to be on the same wavelength, but as Owain has said many fans would not like the efficient running of a club however obvious and prudent it is.

Fans think their club should be spending CASH and proving their worth as one upmanship on their rivals.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:58 pm

Wayne S wrote:We all seem to be on the same wavelength, but as Owain has said many fans would not like the efficient running of a club however obvious and prudent it is.

Fans think their club should be spending CASH and proving their worth as one upmanship on their rivals.

Well, if I was running the club, I'd not listen to fans who are idiots. Mind, had some beauts sat behind me all game - talking absolute shit all game. Didn't know the player names, kept referring to "no 4", "pass it to no 11"...