Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

o/t Laser eye surgery

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:04 pm

Anybody had laser Eye surgery?

I have a free consultation the week after next in Cardiff.

I have worn glasses (occasionally 1 day disposal lenses when I can be arsed) for 25 years. My eyesight is pretty crappy but only -1.75 and -1.25.

Not been quoted a price yet but was wondering if there were any recomendations as I have randomly selected this company (will not say who it i as I want feedback wihout prejudice) via a google search and read some of their internet bumph but this kind of thing is usually done via recomendation.

Could be the end of my reffing career mind being able to see properly unaided.

Re: o/t Laser eye surgery

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:22 pm

bump

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:23 pm

My mate had it and said it's the best thing he's ever done in his life. ;)

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:26 pm

Zabier wrote:My mate had it and said it's the best thing he's ever done in his life. ;)

I also know a bloke who got it done and he raves about it. He got it a few years back.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:30 pm

PtB wrote:
Zabier wrote:My mate had it and said it's the best thing he's ever done in his life. ;)

I also know a bloke who got it done and he raves about it. He got it a few years back.

any recomendations regarding companies. There are a few out there and prices vary.

I have gone for a company advertising mid range as it is my eyesight and cheaper may not mean best value.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:31 pm

I have heard people say its the best thing they done but you got to think is nobody knows what the long term problems are, you could end up blind in a few years its always going to be risky shining a powerful lazer in to the eye

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:42 pm

My wife's had it and hasn't looked back ( excuse the pun ), it wasn't painful and she could see without glasses almost immediately.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:45 pm

Can't remember the company my mate had it done with. It's something where the extra hundred or so pounds will be worth it because it's your eyes and you want it done properly.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:47 pm

squashed grapes wrote:
PtB wrote:

any recomendations regarding companies. There are a few out there and prices vary.

I have gone for a company advertising mid range as it is my eyesight and cheaper may not mean best value.

I'll hopefully catch up with him at the weekend and will ask. It was somewhere in Glasgow though, that's all I know for now.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:41 pm

I had it done in January '09. Total cost was just under £2k, the adverts you see for £300 per eye is for the very basic correction. You also pay if you select a laser to cut your eye, I went for the "mechanical" version which is basically a blade, but honestly you don't feel a thing, only thing I can link it to is its like a windscreen wiper going in front of your eye. If your having it done go for the best you can afford as the results are better. My eyesight was -2 in both eyes but is now better than 20/20. Eyes like a fooking eagle now.
The actual process itself took about 30secs per eye.

Optical Express in Queen Street, aftercare was also very good in fairness

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:20 pm

Valleyram, I've got this image of you being like the Six Million Dollar Man Steve Austin! :D

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:14 pm

valleyram wrote:I had it done in January '09. Total cost was just under £2k, the adverts you see for £300 per eye is for the very basic correction. You also pay if you select a laser to cut your eye, I went for the "mechanical" version which is basically a blade, but honestly you don't feel a thing, only thing I can link it to is its like a windscreen wiper going in front of your eye. If your having it done go for the best you can afford as the results are better. My eyesight was -2 in both eyes but is now better than 20/20. Eyes like a fooking eagle now.
The actual process itself took about 30secs per eye.

Optical Express in Queen Street, aftercare was also very good in fairness

Cheers Senior grapes is footing the bill so I wont be skimping but want to have some options, feedback and quotes.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:36 pm

you still wont see the back of ridsdale lol :D :D :D :D :D

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:43 pm

My mum and my uncle have had it done. My mum couldn’t see much before without contact lenses, best thing she has ever done was get laser eye surgery according to her.

I’m thinking of going for a consultation in the same place my mum had it done, can’t for the life of me remember the name of the company right now.

My eyesight is not bad, I only need glasses whilst driving but they are slowly deteriorating.

Come to think about it my ex missus also had it done as a gift from her parents on her 21st birthday, cost about £2k in total.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:57 am

I had it done 10 years ago in Ultralase Cardiff.

i was -4.5 in both eyes....still perfect after all these years.

Make sure that your eyes have not changed for at least 4 years or you could be wasting your money.

I paid 1750 and had LASIK.