Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The No Alternative to Ridsdale Myth

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:45 pm

I don't see how anyone can say there are no credible alternatives to Ridsdale. Advertising the position of Chief Executive for a salary of around £300k per year should attract applicants of the necessary pedigree and also be a considerable saving to the club given our expenditure for the present incumbent, especially given the bonuses and expenses that he also gets on top. Much as I feel the buck stops with Ridsdale, the whole board are culpable too, but as for him staying being better than him leaving is frankly laughable. Barring a miracle, admin is certain, its just a case of when or whether it could even be liquidation. Hardly value for money or worth sticking with I would suggest.

As for the embargo, I don't think there is any doubt everyone at board level would have been fully aware of it, indeed Flitcroft admitted this at the EGM. They were obviously hoping to clear the HMRC debt, thus lifting the embargo and investing as promised. Obviosuly the problem lies in why the club made such promises when they were patently not in the position to do so and were wholly reliant on external investment to fulfil those assurances.

I was also astounded when PR replied to a direct question as to whether Keith Harris takes a wage at the club with what is quoted by Dave Sugarman to be "He said he believes that, to date, Harris has not been paid any fees at all by the club, and if he has they are certainly not in six figures." Clear as mud, thanks Pete!

The biggest concern though remains the "business plan." Despite the claims of striving for self sufficiency, the club is as far from such an outcome as ever, despite the plentiful assurances from Peter that the new stadium will virtually wipe out our financial difficulties overnight when built. Well it's pretty clear they are getting worse, not better. The "plan" is;

1) to seek new investment and funding

2) to sell the club to new owners

3) to continually review overheads and costs until either of the first two goals are achieved.

Points 1 & 2 can hardly be construed as plans, more hopeful and something way beyond what is under the boards control. Point 3 is fatally flawed as costs are so high across the board, player wages, staff wages, running costs etc and to make such savings will take time we do not have. The most obvious way to make cuts is selling players, but that raises various problems too. First and foremost, clubs know our perilous state and will likely get far better value than us, much like the position we were in when ironically Peter first took over. Secondly, how would we replace those players? By operating the same policy we have under Ridsdale's tenure, not paying transfer fees, but lucrative wages and agent fees? If so, there would be little gain.

It's all good and well for innuendo such as Ridsdale & the board got us into this mess, it's up to them to get us out of it, but there is no substance whatsoever to such a viewpoint. Ridsdale's history has proven he is simply incapable pf doing so beyond any doubt with the carnage left at Leeds & Barnsley. So severe is our plight, I confess to struggling to know what credible alternatives there are. It is clear the board are putting there eggs in one basket in that investment is the only thing that can save us because it's pretty clear whatever we do as a club, we cannot save ourselves.

Re: The No Alternative to Ridsdale Myth

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:48 pm

So he's the Chief executive and he doesn't even know if Keith Harris gets paid, you couldn't make it up.
And this new figure of his wage being 300 grand, well he said in the Muni it was 350 grand and he was worth every penny, and that's without the bonus's just for doing his job badly.
And pound to a penny, that 350 grand a year he mentioned is after deductions, not that he pays them anyway. allegedly.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:50 pm

Lol, I and we know he's on more Gwyn, it was just as a ball park figure to get the necessary quality of applicant interested and crucially to give us a saving on what we pay the present incumbent of that position, less his bonuses, expenses etc!

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:59 pm

Also his completion bouns for the stadium seems to have dropped from 500k to 100k both figures from the man himself, 1 at the Muni, 1 yesterday :shock:

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:11 pm

BigGwynram wrote:So he's the Chief executive and he doesn't even know if Keith Harris gets paid, you couldn't make it up.

If the sums Harris has been paid are relatively small, then why would he be expected to know what they are? Wouldn't that be the responsibility of the Finance Director?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:14 pm

joncandy wrote:Also his completion bouns for the stadium seems to have dropped from 500k to 100k both figures from the man himself, 1 at the Muni, 1 yesterday

Ridsdale didn't state he took a £500,000 completion bonus at the Muni. That was merely a rumour, which is why I asked for clarification yesterday.

He also didn't state he has taken a £100,000 completion bonus yesterday. Company Secretary Alan Whiteley made that statement.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:18 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:
joncandy wrote:Also his completion bouns for the stadium seems to have dropped from 500k to 100k both figures from the man himself, 1 at the Muni, 1 yesterday

Ridsdale didn't state he took a £500,000 completion bonus at the Muni. That was merely a rumour, which is why I asked for clarification yesterday.

He also didn't state he has taken a £100,000 completion bonus yesterday. Company Secretary Alan Whiteley made that statement.

I took that as good news :lol:

As to Keith Harris, PR denied he's had any payment, bt then backtracked when somebody mentioned the £250k o free shares he'd had and admtted they were in exchange for services or fees or some other bull. He really did his best to mislead people on several occasions, the worst was when he tried to hide behind company names when questioned over the winding up order.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:31 pm

Business Plan?

A concept developed by fuckwits for the less intelligent fuckwits, so they too can hang on the backs of the people that do rather than talk.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:56 am

BigGwynram wrote:And pound to a penny, that 350 grand a year he mentioned is after deductions, not that he pays them anyway. allegedly.

:lol: That has to be one of the best lines ever written on AAMB, classic.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:58 am

saladthedragon wrote: investment is the only thing that can save us because it's pretty clear whatever we do as a club, we cannot save ourselves.

TBH Salad I believe the only way to save this club is for the supporters to do it collectively.

We need a membership scheme aimed at buying the club over the long term.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 am

so if Keith Harris has not been paid a " fee " , is he then on the payroll at CCFC instead coz we all know hiw Ridsdale words things to avoid answering the question ?

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:16 am

Well Said Salad, of course on his Basic Salary of £500,000 or even it was £300,000 there would be plenty of alternatives.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:07 am

Forever Blue wrote:Well Said Salad, of course on his Basic Salary of £500,000 or even it was £300,000 there would be plenty of alternatives.

How is this for a plan.

Alan Flitcroft is already paid £200,000 P/A as finance director and he could takeover from Ridsdale as Chairman who would be given 12 months notice to quit served out on gardening leave.

Flitcroft would receive a £100,000 increase meaning the total cost of removing Ridsdale would in affect be £100,000.

In 12 months time Ridsdale would be off the pay roll and the club would make a saving of £500,000 on his wages.

Now that's what I call cost cutting. :ayatollah: :D

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:11 am

Why such confidence in Alan Flitcroft, Tony?

Since he's been Group Finance Director, the companies within the Group have been the subject to at least three winding-up orders.