Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Pompey Impending Point Deduction Is Pointless

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:49 pm

Pompey are on their way down anyway so the point deduction they may receive tomorrow does nothing to them they are already 8 points adrift as it is.

At least with Palaces' it moved them from Play-off contenders to fighting a relegation battle.

Point deductions just seem irrelevent in this situation.

Re: Pompey Impending Point Deduction Is Pointless

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:55 pm

im sure i heard somewhere that they could start with minus points next season instead of a pointless reduction this season.

sky sports or maybe talk sport, i cant remember

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:01 am

craigo wrote:im sure i heard somewhere that they could start with minus points next season instead of a pointless reduction this season.

That's what happened to Southampton. Talk about a kick in the teeth, administration, relegation and then start next season minus 10 points.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:48 am

craigo wrote:im sure i heard somewhere that they could start with minus points next season instead of a pointless reduction this season.

Isn't that something to do with an extra points deduction for not emerging from administration before next season starts?

I'm sure that's what happened to Leeds.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:07 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

Isn't that something to do with an extra points deduction for not emerging from administration before next season starts?

I'm sure that's what happened to Leeds.

Wasn't the Leeds deduction also to do with the theory that administration was contrived in some way? This was my worry with our situation. I would expect the Football League to not look kindly if we seemed to be out of the play-offs then hit 60 points on a Saturday and go into administration on the Monday.

To me that would look like we were just waiting to be at 50 points.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:28 pm

If the deduction would have had no effect and they would have been relegated without any deduction being applied then the penalty is held over until next season and they start on -10 points because of it. This makes sure they don't just give up and have something to play for this season.