Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I FEEL FOR PORTSMOUTH PLEASE DONT LET IT HAPPEN

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:44 pm

TO US, YOUR FANS ARE LIKE US,WE ARE THE SAME TYPE OF CLUBS.
:cry:

Re: I FEEL FOR PORTSMOUTH PLEASE DONT LET IT HAPPEN

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Wage bill 90% of their turnover, average players on big money (John Utaka on £80,000 a week), no PAYE, nat ins or VAT paid for years. I read somewhere that Peter Storrie was saying what a great negotiator he is. We can all negotiate big deals for players on big wages, it's realistic deals within your realistic and real budgets that is the challenge that is beyond these inept businessmen.

Ridsdale, anyone?

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:47 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:Wage bill 90% of their turnover...........

Better than us then.

At Cardiff City in 2008, turnover £12.8m, wage costs alone £13.3m. :o

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Portsmouth are doomed. I hate to say it. Odds on them coming back up next season are 6/1. That's terrible. They won't have a squad left next season!

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:53 pm

Pompey are a great club. Don't get me wrong I was gutted when we lost the final to them, but it sort of helped losing to a club that was so similar to ours in many ways.

If we had lost to Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea who were winning their umpteenth FA Cup it would have devalued the day IMHO.

So it does sadden me to see them where they are and of course you can't see anything but relegation this season and probably the next one to.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:07 pm

Zabier wrote:Portsmouth are doomed. I hate to say it. Odds on them coming back up next season are 6/1. That's terrible. They won't have a squad left next season!

I cant ever see them coming back from this.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:23 pm

Shame to see Pompey in this state, a good club with great fans, though Play Up Pompey gets on my nerves.

It seems this is the start of things to come, football clubs are now feeling the pinch, ourselves more than others, perhaps players wages need to be capped to help clubs out.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:35 pm

Very sad for them and a little taste of what it could be like for us.

My guess is they'll have to take another points deduction next season and prob be in league 1 the season after with a team full of kids and free transfers.

Ridsdale and Storrie are like 2 peas in a pod after hearing how pompey are mismanaged.

As always it's the fans who will suffer and have to pull the club through as the real villans move onto pastures new.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:36 pm

Forever Blue wrote:TO US, YOUR FANS ARE LIKE US,WE ARE THE SAME TYPE OF CLUBS.
:cry:

Administration for us today would not be a bad outcome. We would probably stay up. The Administrators would have time to find a new owner and we would start with a clean slate next season. However this board would never allow it.

I am fearful of going to the end of the season, selling all our players to pay money to this current board and then going into Administration. No time to find a new owner and we start next season -10 points. This could set us back 5 years or more.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:23 pm

It's been said that a bunch of their players were asking for their wages to be cut so that they could ease pressure of the mounting bills. Players who actually care about their club :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:25 pm

To be fair Dafydd, Portsmouth's players are on about 10 times the amount of ours... still, I agree with your sentiments. Start with the board first though to lead by example!

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:33 pm

They went in to administration in 1999, so its their second time

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:34 pm

Don't they have to have a winding-up order if it happens one more time after this?

Like, completely wound-up, as in no club?

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Dafydd wrote:Don't they have to have a winding-up order if it happens one more time after this?

Like, completely wound-up, as in no club?
i really dont know, its palace's 3rd time i think

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:58 pm

Dreamlike or Chic wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:Wage bill 90% of their turnover...........

Better than us then.

At Cardiff City in 2008, turnover £12.8m, wage costs alone £13.3m. :o

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:22 pm

Just watched it on the news - are we sure PR aint a silent partner in that club too ?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?

How the fook they can sell 4 top players and still end up in shit.................CCFC board members better sit up and take note of whats going on around them!