Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Good Luck Corkmeister!

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Thanks for all you have done for this great club of ours. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Get well soon mate. ;)

Trust Chairman Steps Down

The Cardiff City Supporters’ Trust has announced that Paul Corkrey is to stand down from his position as Chairman with immediate effect as a result of medical advice.

A 51 year-old former coal miner from Treharris who lost his right leg in an accident at Taff Merthyr colliery in 1978, Paul has been advised by his consultant to minimize his involvement in the Trust following a recent deterioration in his physical condition.

Corky, as Paul is better-known, acted as Secretary of the Valley RAMS supporters’ club between 2001 and 2006 before founding the Cardiff City Supporters’ Trust in 2007. A lifelong Bluebirds fanatic, he also serves as the Secretary of FSF Cymru, which is the Welsh branch of the national Football Supporters’ Federation.

CCST Vice-Chairman Tim Hartley led the tributes to Paul, saying: “On behalf of the board, I would like to place on record our sincere thanks for the incredible amount of work Corky has put into the Trust over the last couple of years.

“Paul was the man who got things started in November 2007 when he called the initial meeting aimed at setting up a trust for Cardiff City supporters, and since then he has been tireless in his efforts to help the organisation become properly established. He has done a wonderful job for the fans of our club throughout the last nine years, so hopefully he will now enjoy a well-deserved break.”

Membership Secretary Dave Sugarman added: “Corky is very disappointed at having to step down, but obviously his health must come first. He’s become a good friend to a great many Bluebirds fans over the years and his unique brand of leadership will be sorely missed by everyone involved in the Trust.

“Having said that, I know Paul is a very firm believer in the supporters’ trust movement and he’s rightly proud of what our trust has managed to achieve so far, so I’m sure he’ll be involved again in some capacity once he’s had a rest and regained his strength.”
Last edited by SBF1 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Good Luck Corkmeister!

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:05 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:06 pm

uncle fester fantastic meeting you wba . next time the beers will flow. :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:07 pm

All the best Corky, your sacrifices and efforts are highly recognised and truly appreciated :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:08 pm

mrs harry ramsgate wrote:uncle fester fantastic meeting you wba . next time the beers will flow. :ayatollah:

You too love. XXXXXXXX ;)

A few beers would be nice. :D 8-) :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:09 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:
mrs harry ramsgate wrote:uncle fester fantastic meeting you wba . next time the beers will flow. :ayatollah:

You too love. XXXXXXXX ;)

A few beers would be nice. :D 8-) :ayatollah:
,,,, keep the faith. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:09 pm

Don't get tooo bored sitting on ya bum watching the world go bye Mr. C !!!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:12 pm

Yes Corky Mate, Your a Goodun and Honest one too, I only joined the Trust because off you.
See you at the March on Saturday :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:19 pm

Absolutely gutted for the old man.

We all share a love for our club but there are a small percentage who take it to another level and he is one of them.He eats,breathes and shits Cardiff City.My mother will testify to it,she divorced because Cardiff came first :lol: :lol: .I cant remember the last time I went into his house and he wasnt on the phone to either Annis,Ketty,Big Sam,TLG or someone else,he never gets tired of talking City.

He'l be involved somehow though,he loves it too much.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:25 pm

Corkrey wrote:Absolutely gutted for the old man.

We all share a love for our club but there are a small percentage who take it to another level and he is one of them.He eats,breathes and shits Cardiff City.My mother will testify to it,she divorced because Cardiff came first :lol: :lol: .I cant remember the last time I went into his house and he wasnt on the phone to either Annis,Ketty,Big Sam,TLG or someone else,he never gets tired of talking City.

I couldn't sleep one night and ended up going on line about 2.30am. I logged on to Facebook (sad, I know) and Corks was on there in the chat box. I asked him what he was doing at that time of the morning on there and was expecting an answer along the lines of "Just got in" or "Can't sleep" but no, he was typing a letter to some fan organisation on behalf of the Trust!!

Nelson's Number 1 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:32 pm

:ayatollah:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:35 pm

All the best paul and well done with all your efforts. you are a true bluebird.come back stronger mate.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:
Corkrey wrote:Absolutely gutted for the old man.

I couldn't sleep one night and ended up going on line about 2.30am. I logged on to Facebook (sad, I know) and Corks was on there in the chat box. I asked him what he was doing at that time of the morning on there and was expecting an answer along the lines of "Just got in" or "Can't sleep" but no, he was typing a letter to some fan organisation on behalf of the Trust!!

Nelson's Number 1 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

That sums him up.Not many people can boast losing a leg and a marriage because of their football team. :lol: :lol:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:07 pm

Good luck Corkeeeeeeeeee!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:07 pm

Good luck Corky.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:04 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:13 pm

all the best corky :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:28 am

Corky, you've done us fans proud over the years :ayatollah:

All the best Paul!

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:30 am

Good man Corky

Wishing you a speedy return to great health :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:08 am

I promised myself I would keep off the message boards for a few weeks and I will do that but I just wanted to thank you all for your messages.

I would also urge you all to support the Trust it is designed to be run by the fans for the fans...and nothing else really. It is growing well and will reach 1,000 paid up members in the near future, I have left it in capable hands but it needs others to step up especially at board level. A massive thanks to everyone who has contributed in its development and to all the people who have joined up already and to future members..

I also hope the march goes well Saturday, a lot of effort has gone into organising this and it deserves your support. Together and United the fans can make a difference and can get their voices heard.

I am struggling really and have had to miss many away games this season, my body is paying the price for over doing it this last 30 odd years since I lost my leg, I have had a good run to be fair and if I use my head I will be fine.

It can also be stressful trying to organise things and I crave for the time when our great club can be run by a group of people who really care about it. Our fans deserve the best efforts of the people who take charge of the club, they are temporary the fans are permanent. I still have real faith in Steve Borley although I think his last message was badly composed, believe me when I say he is City through and through.

One last thing, remember this, we all may have different views or opinions and at times we may slag each other off or wind each other up, but we all have one thing in common... Cardiff City football club.

Respect each others opinion and keep smiling

Anyway ...back to my cock eyed girlfriend....I am sure she is seeing someone behind my back...lol. :ayatollah:

That joke should tell that Big Gwyn is one of my best mates :D

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 am

Have a chill mate and put your foot up ;) Your concience is clear, you set the ball rolling the direction it takes is now someone else's problem, but if every fan did a small percent of what you have done, we'd be top of the Prem.

You can show people where the water is, you can lead them there, but it's up to them if they want to drink it.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:30 am

BigGwynram wrote:Have a chill mate and put your foot up ;) Your concience is clear, you set the ball rolling the direction it takes is now someone else's problem, but if every fan did a small percent of what you have done, we'd be top of the Prem.

You can show people where the water is, you can lead them there, but it's up to them if they want to drink it.

Yes well said Gwyn, You dont get them much better than Corky :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:59 am

Good luck Corky. :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:27 am

Just a suggestion Corky but now you have a bit of time, why not do a shift on the GTFM phone in?

You would be a natural.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:57 am

all the best corky. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:17 am

Forever Blue wrote:Yes Corky Mate, Your a Goodun and Honest one too, I only joined the Trust because off you.
See you at the March on Saturday :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

What with his bad leg? I think that marching about in Cologne probably did not help let alone in Munich last year Corky.

Hope u r feeling better and back marching for the club and country soon.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:23 am

All the best Corky :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:25 am

Very best wishes to you Corky, hope you feel better soon. :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:29 am

Best wishes Corky, your name is synonymous with Cardiff City and I hope you still have some kind of influency because your passion and efforts cannot be faulted. :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:03 pm

top man,good luck