Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Robert Earnshaw or Michael Chopra?

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:20 pm

This is a question I've thought about a lot. Who is the striker you would prefer in our team? I was always a massive Earnshaw fan. He's a natural goalscorer. Hat tricks in every domestic competition, cup and at international. I thought he was a proper showman as well with his pace, agility and skill. Not to mention the charisma he had.

However, on the flipside, Chopra is of a similar ilk. He's fast, confident and clinical. I don't know what it is though, I just feel he's not as consistent as Earnshaw. I would say I would still rather have Earnshaw in our team than Chopra but I might be clouded by rose tinted glasses.

What do you guys reckon?

Re: Robert Earnshaw or Michael Chopra?

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:21 pm

Michael Chopra.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:25 pm

Earnie

In his time he was a legend.Sorry if asking in present team Chops, but both in their prime Earnie.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:26 pm

Chopra

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:34 pm

Chopra

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Both are great Championship players and both have so far failed in the premier league. Saying that, both have been lucky as well as self indulgent in their success and goal scoring records.

But going on todays form and current value and everything else taken into consideration, Chopra. (not a hard decision)

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Chopra every time.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:53 pm

chopra,he's got more to his game and he's a better finisher,earnie was good for us back in the day but a lot of his goals were scored in the lower divisions.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm going against popular concensus and saying Earnie. Earnie would pop up with more important goals. Chopra scores in batches whereas Earnie will come up with a winner in a 1-0 or a 2-1, Chopra doesn't do this as much

Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:16 pm

If we are talking when Earnie was in his prime then I'm Earnie all the way he just had a kanck of scoring for fun at times more so than chops.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:22 pm

Earnie!

Absolute quality on his day!

Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:39 pm

hard to say, both of them is the best but i can see that Burke is getting better as he was very good at Rangers that i have seen

Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Earnie, bring him back to Cardiff and he'd shine again... He is a player that belongs in a Bluebird shirt. Think he'd do well with Bothroyd aswel...

Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:28 pm

Earnie, a legend and one of my favourite city players.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:31 pm

Earnie would be a good partner ship him and jay.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:33 pm

nobby wrote:Earnie, a legend and one of my favourite city players.

He is also the only player to score a hat trick in all four leagues.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:10 pm

Earnie would be great with Bothroyd.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:21 am

Earnie every time !

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:49 am

Merlin wrote:Both are great Championship players and both have so far failed in the premier league. Saying that, both have been lucky as well as self indulgent in their success and goal scoring records.

But going on todays form and current value and everything else taken into consideration, Chopra. (not a hard decision)

I wouldn't say Earnshaw failed in the Premiership. He was West Brom's top scorer in a side that had an awful manager and not the best set of players. You make a point though, that was then this is now.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 pm

I watched Forest on Tuesday night at what is now my local (Bramall Lane).

Watching Earnshaw made me smile as he still makes those brilliant little runs and still gets caught offside a bit, and he was still the Pigs' biggest headache on the night.

He has lost at least three yards of pace but he's still not slow by anyone's standards (it's just that Kilgallon is the best defender in this league).

I, like most of the people on this board no doubt, watched Earnie come into the team and grow as a player. Difference is he was my first 'hero'. I remember playing on the pitch at half time on a wet night against Halifax Town, and my parents were in the crowd. My mam, who's never been all that big on club football, made a point of saying "That boy Earnshaw is going to be a good player". That's praise indeed.

His goal for Norwich in his first game back at Ninian Park is the only time I've ever seen the whole ground stand in unison and applaud an opposition goal, and when a player can do that to Cardiff City supporters, you know he's magic.

In terms of the time they've been at Cardiff City, I don't think anybody is quite able to match Earnshaw's standards. You don't get to be the club's all time record goalscorer for nothing.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:51 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:His goal for Norwich in his first game back at Ninian Park is the only time I've ever seen the whole ground stand in unison and applaud an opposition goal, and when a player can do that to Cardiff City supporters, you know he's magic.

In terms of the time they've been at Cardiff City, I don't think anybody is quite able to match Earnshaw's standards. You don't get to be the club's all time record goalscorer for nothing.

I forgot to mention that Norwich goal moment in the topic about our favourite Cardiff moments. That was one of mine because it showed that as a fan base if you earn our respect you forever keep it. Like you said, I've never seen a player score against the home team and receive a standing ovation.

A Norwich fan said to me it was one of the strangest sights he'd seen but the more he saw Earnshaw play the more he realised why. Not only the most prolific players we've had but also one of the nicest. I've met him a few times down Paul and Sons barbers on Salisbury Road and he's always been extremely friendly. Him and Gabbs.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:02 pm

earnie a few years back, chops now, but if earnie scores a couple against the gypo's on saturday that could change my mind, i'd love to see him do a somersault and the ayatollah down the liberty :lol: