Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gangs in Cardiff

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:41 am

I always remember my old man telling me many, many years ago about local Cardiff gangs in the fifties. He was a Canton/Riverside lad and said some of them were vicious and constantly at odds with each other. Anyone heard anything similar?

Re: Gangs in Cardiff

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:44 am

I only know of the 70's and 80' with your gangs like the Docks Boys and Llanrumney Boys, both tough groups of lads.
My Father said to me the the Docks people in the 40' and 50's stuck together and kept in their own community , mostly dockers etc.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:02 am

up here in the Rhondda there were loads of gangs, best of all late 70's punks and mods, oh to turn back the clock :lol: :lol:

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:08 am

gangs were still rife i the 90's around riverside Grange I was an inbetweener always getting kick ins off alll partys :lol:

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:35 am

I do recall my dad mebtioning 'tear-ups' they used to have at places like the Victoria Ballroom and even City Supporters Club! When we moved to Pentrebane we one day passed a big bruiser of a guy in the street who winked at my dad. My dad nodded back and when I asked him who he was he said they were 'rivals' in two teenage gangs that frequented Canton in the fifties. Hated each others guts with a passion and frequently fighting with each other, twenty years on they were neighbours! Though never pals they did seem to have a great deal of respect for each other.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:38 am

Forever Blue wrote:Llanrumney Boys

Remember any names?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:00 am

Forever Blue wrote:I only know of the 70's and 80' with your gangs like the Docks Boys and Llanrumney Boys, both tough groups of lads.
My Father said to me the the Docks people in the 40' and 50's stuck together and kept in their own community , mostly dockers etc.

Annis

My mother who was born down the docks in the 20s as I was in the late 40s,( South William St ) She always said There was a lot of Italians, Maltese, Irish and Caribbean living down the docks .And when anyone was in the shit everyone rallied round to help. Everyone had nothing in them days. Now if you borrow £5000 you’re a businessman if you borrow a fiver you’re a bum. Let’s do our thing like the old docks people and stick together because we are right in the shit and we need to stick together

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:50 am

peter from margam wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I only know of the 70's and 80' with your gangs like the Docks Boys and Llanrumney Boys, both tough groups of lads.

Annis

My mother who was born down the docks in the 20s as I was in the late 40s,( South William St ) She always said There was a lot of Italians, Maltese, Irish and Caribbean living down the docks .And when anyone was in the shit everyone rallied round to help. Everyone had nothing in them days. Now if you borrow £5000 you’re a businessman if you borrow a fiver you’re a bum. Let’s do our thing like the old docks people and stick together because we are right in the shit and we need to stick together

well said that man , we need to be together CCFC is what matters. Here before Ridsdale and his cronies, here while he is on the Board ,and here when he's gone. GOD WILLING. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:53 am

I knew of a few gangs in the 90s from Llanishen and Adamsdown but never really encountered them. Had a bit of grief with the Adamsdown boys due to football but nothing serious. Always heard rumours about the Llanishen lads but never saw it myself.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Years ago it was always kicking off with rumney/trowbridge fighting llanrumney, some mad times. Lot of trouble between Rumney high and st iltyds schools(however you spell it) in the early 80s, police were called in large numbers on more than one occasion.

Also remember a load of grangetown boys coming down to Rumney with baseball bats and clubbing a few boys.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:24 pm

i remember the beserkers a biker gang.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:25 pm

The Station Boys of the 70s were handy :lol:

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:28 pm

Soul Crew versus the Real Soul Crew was quite tasty

:mrgreen:

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:30 pm

With no mentioning of them I'm guessing Merthyr were pussies :( :lol:

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:41 pm

My stepdad is ex grangetown and latterly jenner park barry and now living in Neath tells story of absolute madness he is a massive boxing fan and relives the story of going to see Colin jones fight for worl title in Brum said it went absolutely mental after he lost all the welsh standing in the isles knocking out any fucker that stood up to them. Morale of the story funny how all the welsh stick together when they want to!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:44 pm

I'd watch out for the new thugs on the street - got one hell of a rep have the Monkeyfacing Crew.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:48 pm

nerd wrote:I'd watch out for the new thugs on the street - got one hell of a rep have the Monkeyfacing Crew.

:lol: :lol:

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:30 am

Always remember the Famous Bargoed Maffia as they were called in the 80's,always having a go with Nelson and Treharris boy's seen some right tear up's.. :lol: :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:50 am

peter from margam wrote:

Annis

Well Said, times have changed for the worst .

Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:50 pm

rob wrote:i remember the beserkers a biker gang.

i remember them well used to be in a rival bike gang called the outlaws early 80s f*cking twats run me off by bike down ninian park road women bystander recons a lorry missed me by inches missed the f*cking home game that day ended up in hospital for the day and night o well happy days :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:00 pm

I used to be in teh St Mellons scouts, f*cking mental we were, tying knots in everything, rope, straws, string, old people.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:08 pm

Punks v Mods late 70s Ding Dong :old:

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:13 pm

rumney high v st illtyds always a ding dong battle too early 80's !

luckily macca's was on our side -lol :D

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:15 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:rumney high v st illtyds always a ding dong battle too early 80's !

luckily macca's was on our side -lol :D

Mad times

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:18 pm

Aber warlords from abertridwr when i was growing up,they used to hang around on the square,then years later we had the caerphilly skins,we use to sort the shitty bargoed mafia on the way to home games,good days.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:20 pm

my first ever away game was with macc probably 1979 or 1980 . what an entrance into following your footie team away as a 14 year old -lol

macc so much to answer for -lol

rumney boys we are here woah ............not trowbridge or st mellons -lol

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:25 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:my first ever away game was with macc probably 1979 or 1980 . what an entrance into following your footie team away as a 14 year old -lol

Rumney had a good bunch of boys in the day

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:32 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:
MOZZER1 wrote:my first ever away game was with macc probably 1979 or 1980 . what an entrance into following your footie team away as a 14 year old -lol

Rumney had a good bunch of boys in the day

Llanrumney lads always took the piss in Rumney during the eighties.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:34 pm

Trowbridge FirmHanded

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:49 pm

now haggis was gezza -lol