Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

HOW DO YOU THINK THE FOLLOWING WOULD DO

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:10 pm

IN OUR LEAGUE Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen,Dundee UTD, Dundee, Kilmarnock, Livingstone, Motherwell etc just choice a few Scottish teams.
My Opinion, none of them would run away with it in their first year. Rangers and Celtic would prob get promoted but if they never the second season they would run away with it. Most of the others would be midd table or some relegated in my Opinion.

IN THE PREM The first Season, Rangers and Celtic would struggle, second year Top 10.
The rest I believe would be bottom all season. Only My Opinion.

Re: HOW DO YOU THINK THE FOLLOWING WOULD DO

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Yeah, I think that's about it. Rangers and Celtic are similar to Newcastle and West Brom. I'd still fancy the English pair to beat the Scottish pair though. None of the other teams would finish higher than mid-table in the Championship though that's for sure.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:16 pm

Zabier wrote:Yeah, I think that's about it. Rangers and Celtic are similar to Newcastle and West Brom. I'd still fancy the English pair to beat the Scottish pair though. None of the other teams would finish higher than mid-table in the Championship though that's for sure.

I reckon your right Newcastle could prob beat them and on our day at our best we we could prob pull of a win against them.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:21 pm

I think Rangers and Celtic might do a job in the championship, couldn't see them doing anything in the Premier League though. The rest would certainly struggle in the championship, but saying that, anything can happen in our league so you probably never know.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:29 pm

The days of Celtic and Rangers being rich enough to buy their way into the Premiership are long gone. Rangers acan't even afford to pay their management team. They may get out of the Championship, but it will be a struggle and may not happen in the first season but will eventually. The lure of playing in the Premierrship in front of 50-60,000 could be enough for some players.

The others I have to agree would be no more than mid-table and i reckon some would even drop out of the Championship altogether and you'd have to ask whetyher they would ever get back

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:35 pm

Well our record against Celtic this century, unless I'm very much mistaken, reads won 1, drawn 1, lost 0.

Celtic and Rangers would, of course, be closer to a Birmingham/ Sunderland than they would be us or West Brom, solely because of their gates and the TV reciepts they'd get.

I hope, Annis, that you posted this entirely hypothetially because if this happens I will actually have sexual intercourse with a sheep and wear a Swansea shirt on the Canton Stand for every game the following season. That is, it will not happen in our lifetimes, not ever, not a chance.

Why do Celtic + Rangers deserve it? I don't think they do.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:38 pm

With their current squads Celtic and Rangers would be play-off material, possibly automatic promotion candidates in the Championship. It would be interesting however, to see how they would cope with the higher level of ability and competetiveness, week in week out in the Championship compared to the SPL.

It's funny to think how far these clubs have fallen and also the SPL. Only say 3 years ago, you wouldn't have given Cardiff a chance against these 2 Scottish giants, now, if I was a betting man I would be happy to back Cardiff against either.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:38 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:Well our record against Celtic this century, unless I'm very much mistaken, reads won 1, drawn 1, lost 0.

Celtic and Rangers would, of course, be closer to a Birmingham/ Sunderland than they would be us or West Brom, solely because of their gates and the TV reciepts they'd get.

I hope, Annis, that you posted this entirely hypothetially because if this happens I will actually have sexual intercourse with a sheep and wear a Swansea shirt on the Canton Stand for every game the following season. That is, it will not happen in our lifetimes, not ever, not a chance.

Why do Celtic + Rangers deserve it? I don't think they do.

I'd never say never about anything in football these days. If the big clubs want it, they have enough power these days to make it happen. Who thought one of the league weekends would take place on another continent, but that could very well happen soon. Rangers and Celtic coming in would be nothing compared to that.

So get your sheep and swansea shirt ready, could be a long season for you then :lol:

Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Spence wrote:I think Rangers and Celtic might do a job in the championship, couldn't see them doing anything in the Premier League though. The rest would certainly struggle in the championship, but saying that, anything can happen in our league so you probably never know.

They're potentially huge franchises and would do very well in time. Like Cardiff as a Welsh team, they can play a Scottish card to an international following and this would add value over other more average clubs in the Premiership. One assumes that a moderately capable management team could convert that value into sound squad investments and with that, on the pitch success.