Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ninian Park

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Should we have kept Ninian Park? The cost of introducing seating to the Bob Bank (A league requirement) would have been a LOT cheaper than building a brand new stadium.

Of course the argument is that unless we had new facilities we would not be able to attract the calibre of players we currently have, though some would argue that they aren't all that!

Yes, eventually we would need a new stadium but have we started to run before we can walk with the introduction of a new stadium before we reach the promised land, the Premiership.

What kind of financial position would we find ourselves in right now if we had not moved?

Not all Prem grounds have brand new stadiums, Craven Cottage, Fratton Park etc are old school grounds with modifications.

Thoughts and opinions please.

Re: Ninian Park

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:17 pm

Dont even go down that road with me :lol: , I LOVED IT BEYOND AND NEVER WANTED TO LEAVE IT, PR FOR ONCE TOLD THE TRUTH, I NEVER WANTED TO LEAVE IT :cry: :cry:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:20 pm

You know the true fnas would have stayed at NP no matter what........BUT the snowball of "glory" was started and its all gone out of control bloody avalanche in the making now! PR wanting the glory going above and beyond pointless having a stadium if we have no team!

I didn't think the "look" of Plymouth was the best BUT it did let me see what NP would have looked like if built on/up not as ugly as administration i must say!!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Seats going on the terrace at Ninian!! NO THATS WOULDENT BE RIGHT i like to remember Ninian with terraces and a great atmosphere. An all seater Ninian would of been a morgue a lot worse than the CCS .
And the view would of been awful as it was, it was impossible for the kids to see properly unless you were in the Grandstand.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Was a second home for me,home games will never be the same again,cant see me ever settling tidy at the new stadium,il suffer for the love of our club after 37yrs.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:41 pm

I loved Ninian Park :ayatollah:

It was old and falling apart, but it was home!

There was something I used to relish about getting soaked on the Bob Bank, you knew you were getting soaked, as did the bloke next to you, but you stood there and cheered the Bluebirds on. I remember 1 game about 4 seasons ago when the heavens opened on the Bob Bank Terrace, the stewards offered us the gates to Bob bank seating and the Grange End, by the end of the evening there was about 100 of us left, we got soaked, thoroughly :lol:

Last game at Ninian Park

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wJaDt9Ymzs

:cry:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:41 pm

Don't get me wrong it was very sad to leave Ninian Park but I was more pissed off when I realised what we were moving in to. Surely we could have built something with a bit of character that you'd enjoy going to watch the footy in. An all blue stadium like this would have been decent. 30,000 and right on top of the pitch :cry:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:49 pm

blooobirds wrote:Don't get me wrong it was very sad to leave Ninian Park but I was more pissed off when I realised what we were moving in to. Surely we could have built something with a bit of character that you'd enjoy going to watch the footy in. An all blue stadium like this would have been decent. 30,000 and right on top of the pitch :cry:

Whos stadium is that ? i like it. :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:51 pm

The Jackel wrote:Should we have kept Ninian Park?

absolutely not

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:52 pm

boavista, Portugal :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:55 pm

blooobirds wrote:Don't get me wrong it was very sad to leave Ninian Park but I was more pissed off when I realised what we were moving in to. Surely we could have built something with a bit of character that you'd enjoy going to watch the footy in. An all blue stadium like this would have been decent. 30,000 and right on top of the pitch :cry:

Love it

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:07 pm

They wouldn't let us have seats that close to the pitch. The Swansea team wouldn't be alive :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:33 am

As much as I miss Ninian I don't think it would have been practical to redevelop it. With health and safety as it is now we wouldn't have had enough exit points as the place was hemmed in between housing and the railway. In saying that I don't like any of these new grounds, they don't have any character and I much prefer some of the redeveloped grounds like Villa Park or Hillsborough.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:28 pm

I agree that we had to move. In a perfect world we could have redeveloped Ninian Park but it had done its time. I'm just disappointed, like others have expressed, that the new stadium has been given such little character. It wouldn't have cost much more to...

a) Give it a proper name like St David's Park or Parc Dewi Sant.
b) Put the seats closer to the pitch.
c) Have the roof looming slightly further over the pitch to create an intimidating environment.
d) Other such little bits and bobs to make it a more intimate and frightening experience for our players and theirs respectively.