Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Unbelieveable sight

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:11 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091211/ap_ ... tary_plane

And I witnessed it.

Re: Unbelieveable sight

Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:19 pm

Did it sound as awesome as I imagine it would?

Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:32 pm

It was quiet but not as quiet as I expected tbh. Then again we stood literally next to the runway and it flew over us within seconds of taking off. So we were quite close to it. From a distance, say a road running parallel to the airport, I would say you would have heard a pin drop like.

After its maiden flight the aircraft taxied by us all with all four engines running. That was a bit close for comfort but even so you could hear people around you talking.

It then turned around and came back towards us. This time the pilots stopped both outer engines. Very wise. On passing us the pilots stuck their thumps up and applauded us. Just like our players do at the end of a game. That was quite emotonal.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:52 pm

That is quite a sight.

It takes me back to one Sunny day in Barry a few years back. I looked up into the sky and saw two jigsaw like shapes in the Sky. I was wondering what the f**k these mysterious shapes in the sky were.

The shapes circled in the sKy for about 10 mins. People were looking sky-wards and wondering the same as me.
Then I regognised what they were - Two Stealth Bombers which I presume were from the U.S Air Force.

I wondered what they were doing over Barry, (I know its rough in parts but I didnt expect the Vale Of Glamorgan Council to call in an air strike).

I got home to see if they was any reports on the news, and low and behold, they were on display at at the Fairfield air show in Gloucestershire. :lol:

A truly amazing sight in my opinion.

Apperently, In the Iraq War, they used to fly from Edmunson air base in the U.S, straight to Iraq, drop their payload and fly back home in one sortie.

I used to go to the airshow at St Athan when I was a kid.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Stealth bombers.....would love to have seen that.

I come from St. Athans and the Battle of Britain days were awesome. We had all sorts of military aircraft flying over my house.

My bedroom window looked right over the threshold on the runway and I had a great view of the aircraft taking off and landing. I remember the old Vulcan days when they came ot St. Athan to have their major servicing. When they took off my bedroom window shook like mad. Its why I find the aircraft of today so very quiet lol.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:05 pm

Ha yep I remember the Vulcans on display - They were so big while flying low , they looked at if they were not moving.(if that makes sence)

Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:33 pm

Joff wrote:Ha yep I remember the Vulcans on display - They were so big while flying low , they looked at if they were not moving.(if that makes sence)

yep! it makes sense. Many a time I saw one seemingly hanging in the sky. Must have had a very low stall speed.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:12 pm

Gerry Hat Trick wrote:
Joff wrote:Ha yep I remember the Vulcans on display - They were so big while flying low , they looked at if they were not moving.(if that makes sence)

yep! it makes sense. Many a time I saw one seemingly hanging in the sky. Must have had a very low stall speed.

I use to work on the Vulcan simulator. The wing span area was such that I could glid the sim to land from 5 miles out with all four engines off. Obviously that was never tried in real but it would not surprise me if it could have been done.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:19 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5JS8UCwDWA&feature=fvw

Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:23 pm

stealth bomber

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1e1_1193803898