" George Osborne has a new job "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:53 am

BBC

Friday 17th March 2017

Former Chancellor George Osborne has been appointed editor of the London Evening Standard newspaper.

The Conservative MP will succeed Sarah Sands, who is leaving to become editor of the BBC's Today programme.

The BBC's media editor Amol Rajan said Mr Osborne intended to stay on as MP for Tatton, in Cheshire.

The paper said Mr Osborne, who was sacked as chancellor after Theresa May became prime minister in July, would edit it "four days a week".

The Standard's proprietor, Evgeny Lebedev, said Mr Osborne was "London through and through" and he was confident that the MP was "the right person to build on the fantastic legacy of Sarah Sands".

"I am proud to have an editor of such substance, who reinforces The Standard's standing and influence in London and whose political viewpoint - socially liberal and economically pragmatic - closely matches that of many of our readers," tweeted Mr Lebedev.

The newspaper said its schedule would enable Mr Osborne to "continue to fulfil his other commitments, including as an MP; giving him the time to vote and contribute in Parliament in the afternoon after the paper has gone to print, and be in his constituency".

Mr Rajan, a former editor of The Independent, which is also owned by Mr Lebedev, said the appointment was a "fantastic coup" for the newspaper but would "take a considerable amount of people by surprise".

He said it would be a "big challenge" for Mr Osborne to persuade his constituents in Cheshire that he could continue representing them.

Mr Osborne has been congratulated by London Mayor Sadiq Khan, who said he would be covering the "world's greatest city".

Mr Osborne, who has been an MP since 2001 and was chancellor for six years will address staff at the newspaper later on Friday.

It has a circulation of 850,000 to 900,000 copies a day, having become a free title in 2010.

BBC political correspondent Ben Wright said Mr Osborne had always wanted to be a journalist and loved the "worlds of intrigue and gossip".

Mr Osborne failed to get a place on The Times' trainee scheme after graduating from Oxford University in 1992 and was briefly a freelance reporter on the Daily Telegraph's diary column.

Since leaving frontline politics, the former chancellor has become a visiting fellow at a US university and an adviser to US fund manager BlackRock, for which he is being paid £650,000 for four days work a month.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " George Osborne has a new job "

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:21 pm

£650kpa for 48 days work at Black Rock? For anyone interested that works out at £13,541 per day :shock:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Sven » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:30 pm

I was reading earlier that he wanted to be a journalist as a youngster but he couldn't get a place, so he turned to politics instead and bulled his way to the heady heights of Chancellor of the Exchequer...

I reckon a quick trawl of most Parliaments, including Y Senedd and (in particular the current) Holyrood will confirm these places as a safe refuge for the unwanted, who then spend their lives wreaking revenge on the society that shunned them!

It's a bit like being a Millwall fan! :thumbright: :lol: :lol:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby nubbsy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:08 am

Sven wrote:I was reading earlier that he wanted to be a journalist as a youngster but he couldn't get a place, so he turned to politics instead and bulled his way to the heady heights of Chancellor of the Exchequer...

I reckon a quick trawl of most Parliaments, including Y Senedd and (in particular the current) Holyrood will confirm these places as a safe refuge for the unwanted, who then spend their lives wreaking revenge on the society that shunned them!

It's a bit like being a Millwall fan! :thumbright: :lol: :lol:

Haha very true sven. 99% of Politicians are detached from society and normality. Greedy little outcasts.
nubbsy

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:28 pm

ONE Of Many ;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby antill_dunning » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:17 am

Another tory in charge of yet more media!
antill_dunning

Postby JimmyJazz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:55 am

And this is the fella who came up with "We're all in it together"!!

Yet another Tatton Tory sticking 2 fingers up to the rest of us - how Neil Hamilton ever got back into politics is a complete mystery 20 years after his 'cash for questions' disgrace.
My father missed the cup final in 1927 as my grandad only had 2 tickets, and my Dad had an older brother!
JimmyJazz

Return to General Chat