' Poll ' Who you voting for in the General election?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Poll Who you voting for in the general election

Con
38%
Lab
42%
Lib
3%
UKIP
3%
Plaid
9%
Green
1%
Snp
0%
Bnp
No votes
Nat front
2%
Other
2%

Total votes : 278

Re: ' Poll ' Who you voting for in the General election?

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu May 18, 2017 5:15 pm

Zabier wrote:Times have changed though, Steve. These aren't the 1970s. The global, political, and social climate is entirely different now. Don't get me wrong, I understand the fear. This Labour government is far more left than the previous. New Labour was Tory-lite. Even previous Labour governments haven't had the right policies.

I don't understand why people are so critical of policies that promote so much good for the majority but are then willing to overlook policies by other parties that are so negative towards the majority. If you put the Labour policies side by side with the Tory ones do you honestly still think you'd say the Tory policies are more beneficial to the majority of this country?

Please avoid using the "living in dream land" argument. Just because we want better for the majority does not make it a fantasy land. I've heard people say the Labour manifesto's costs don't add up. At least they go into detail about how they aim to generate the funds and cover costs. I didn't see any justification when the Tories spent billions upon billions on renewing Trident, proposing a referendum that could lead to a $64 billion Brexit divorce fee, and even more billions on a controversial nuclear power station that will be managed by the Chinese.

What is it about our society that leads people to be so vitriolic to policies and ideas that will help them yet cautiously optimistic about policies that clearly won't benefit them?

I am still interested to hear what it is about this Tory government under May that makes the average person in the street want to vote for them? I'm not being antagonistic. I genuinely want to know because so far the reasons I have heard don't make sense. Voting them to deliver Brexit when it was Corbyn that wanted to leave and May that wanted to remain. Voting them for strong and stable government... even though every action May has carried out has been erratic, paranoid, and foolish. Voting them because they will be better for the working class than Labour? You only need to read the contrasting policies to realise that's just not true.

So please do inform me why the average person wants to vote Tory? Also, slagging off Jeremy Corbyn isn't an option. Even if you think he's a c**t there are plenty of options that simply aren't Tory that would be far better for you to vote. If I am clueless and out of touch then help me see what I am missing.

Well you will find that I am not one of those who has ever resorted to personal insults, whether they be directed at Corbyn or any labour voters. I am also not one of those who make my decision based on what I read in the press, if I was I would certainly be a labour voter as I take The Mirror, primarily for it's sports coverage. I base my decision on what I see and experience personally, and read all the parties promises knowing that none of them can possibly deliver on everything. I also base my opinions on how previous governments have affected my living standards. In all honesty, neither has had a massive impact on me, but Labour has had a more negative impact on me personally than the Tory party. The thought of Abbott and McDonnell etc., in positions of huge responsibility worry me more than their counterparts. Everyone must vote as they see fit, and whoever wins will win because more people believe that the elected party can do a better job than the other. Either way, I will get on with my life the best I can, and I don't see any huge difference in my living standards whatever.
Steve Zodiak

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby BlueDredd » Thu May 18, 2017 5:15 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/society/200 ... are_btn_fb

This is the party that you want to elect? Liars that have no interest in what the majority want. You far right lot claim that it's better for Brexit.. yet you have a firm "remainer" at the helm.

I find it absolutely insane that so many are completely opposed to Labour, when their manifesto is made for everyone apart from the few top percent, and has been made for the better of this country. They are in no means perfect.. but far better than these absolutely shit heads in place now.

In 7 years they've doubled the national debt, they've destroyed the housing market, homelessness has doubled, they've made arms deals with countries that have absolutely no human rights laws, they're looking to privatise our NHS, wipe out legal aid, abolish 80 years worth of child protection and open this up for private firms, slashed disability benefits! The list is endless! Our wages are lower than they were 10 years ago! And all they want to do is spread propaganda all over the f*cking media about a man that's doing his best for the people, and all you lot want to do is back these pathetic shadey pricks that have none of you in mind while they're stalling over producing a piss poor manifesto, that benefits not one of us.
JUDGEMENT TIME!
BlueDredd

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu May 18, 2017 5:18 pm

BlueDredd wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/2006/jun/30/health.politics?CMP=share_btn_fb

This is the party that you want to elect? Liars that have no interest in what the majority want. You far right lot claim that it's better for Brexit.. yet you have a firm "remainer" at the helm.

I find it absolutely insane that so many are completely opposed to Labour, when their manifesto is made for everyone apart from the few top percent, and has been made for the better of this country. They are in no means perfect.. but far better than these absolutely shit heads in place now.

In 7 years they've doubled the national debt, they've destroyed the housing market, homelessness has doubled, they've made arms deals with countries that have absolutely no human rights laws, they're looking to privatise our NHS, wipe out legal aid, abolish 80 years worth of child protection and open this up for private firms, slashed disability benefits! The list is endless! Our wages are lower than they were 10 years ago! And all they want to do is spread propaganda all over the f*cking media about a man that's doing his best for the people, and all you lot want to do is back these pathetic shadey pricks that have none of you in mind while they're stalling over producing a piss poor manifesto, that benefits not one of us.

And Labour are perfect of course.
Steve Zodiak

Postby wez1927 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:36 pm

BlueDredd wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/2006/jun/30/health.politics?CMP=share_btn_fb

Destroyed the housing market ? Theyve built more homes in the last 5 years than labour did in there whole time in power ,help to buy more social housing come on ffs ,under labour it was boom and bust in the housing industry
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu May 18, 2017 5:45 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Destroyed the housing market ? Theyve built more homes in the last 5 years than labour did in there whole time in power ,help to buy more social housing come on ffs ,under labour it was boom and bust in the housing industry

I think too much importance is paid to what is printed in the press. I take no great notice of anything in any of the papers, they all have their own agenda. I prefer to listen to what people are saying, and interpret it myself rather than read a reporter's interpretation of something. Anyone who votes based on what they read in the press is only really listening to a small group of reporters who usually have strong view of their own. Whether their views are correct is up to you to prove one way or the other, or alternatively believe everything they say. Down to personal choice I suppose.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Zabier » Thu May 18, 2017 5:46 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Zabier wrote:Times have changed though, Steve. These aren't the 1970s. The global, political, and social climate is entirely different now. Don't get me wrong, I understand the fear. This Labour government is far more left than the previous. New Labour was Tory-lite. Even previous Labour governments haven't had the right policies.

I don't understand why people are so critical of policies that promote so much good for the majority but are then willing to overlook policies by other parties that are so negative towards the majority. If you put the Labour policies side by side with the Tory ones do you honestly still think you'd say the Tory policies are more beneficial to the majority of this country?

Please avoid using the "living in dream land" argument. Just because we want better for the majority does not make it a fantasy land. I've heard people say the Labour manifesto's costs don't add up. At least they go into detail about how they aim to generate the funds and cover costs. I didn't see any justification when the Tories spent billions upon billions on renewing Trident, proposing a referendum that could lead to a $64 billion Brexit divorce fee, and even more billions on a controversial nuclear power station that will be managed by the Chinese.

What is it about our society that leads people to be so vitriolic to policies and ideas that will help them yet cautiously optimistic about policies that clearly won't benefit them?

I am still interested to hear what it is about this Tory government under May that makes the average person in the street want to vote for them? I'm not being antagonistic. I genuinely want to know because so far the reasons I have heard don't make sense. Voting them to deliver Brexit when it was Corbyn that wanted to leave and May that wanted to remain. Voting them for strong and stable government... even though every action May has carried out has been erratic, paranoid, and foolish. Voting them because they will be better for the working class than Labour? You only need to read the contrasting policies to realise that's just not true.

So please do inform me why the average person wants to vote Tory? Also, slagging off Jeremy Corbyn isn't an option. Even if you think he's a c**t there are plenty of options that simply aren't Tory that would be far better for you to vote. If I am clueless and out of touch then help me see what I am missing.

Well you will find that I am not one of those who has ever resorted to personal insults, whether they be directed at Corbyn or any labour voters. I am also not one of those who make my decision based on what I read in the press, if I was I would certainly be a labour voter as I take The Mirror, primarily for it's sports coverage. I base my decision on what I see and experience personally, and read all the parties promises knowing that none of them can possibly deliver on everything. I also base my opinions on how previous governments have affected my living standards. In all honesty, neither has had a massive impact on me, but Labour has had a more negative impact on me personally than the Tory party. The thought of Abbott and McDonnell etc., in positions of huge responsibility worry me more than their counterparts. Everyone must vote as they see fit, and whoever wins will win because more people believe that the elected party can do a better job than the other. Either way, I will get on with my life the best I can, and I don't see any huge difference in my living standards whatever.

Well, Steve, I shall end my side of the debate here. I respect the fact you have taken the time and effort to consider what you're voting for. Even though I don't agree with your view I can accept that you feel the way you do. You have your valid reasons and I fully understand that. I don't want to be someone that denounces anyone that votes a certain way. You've given your side of the argument and I appreciate that. Perhaps you are right, nothing will change. At least both of us will be there on polling day. Voting opposite sides but there nonetheless. That's what really counts.
Zabier

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu May 18, 2017 5:58 pm

Zabier wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Well, Steve, I shall end my side of the debate here. I respect the fact you have taken the time and effort to consider what you're voting for. Even though I don't agree with your view I can accept that you feel the way you do. You have your valid reasons and I fully understand that. I don't want to be someone that denounces anyone that votes a certain way. You've given your side of the argument and I appreciate that. Perhaps you are right, nothing will change. At least both of us will be there on polling day. Voting opposite sides but there nonetheless. That's what really counts.

I agree. Whoever you support, I think it is important that as many people as possible get out and vote. If we get a poor turnout, the argument will then be that even if one party were to get 50% of the vote, there could still be more of the population who did'nt vote for them than people who did. Afraid that is the way things tend to turn out. At least those who make the effort to vote can legitimately moan afterwards, so I will be even grumpier than usual before long.
Steve Zodiak

Postby alfie sherwood » Fri May 19, 2017 6:25 am

My own view is that Labour are offering a platform of policies that would benefit the vast majority of people in the UK providing significant and desperately needed investment in health, education and infrastructure. Asking those at the very top of society to pay a little bit more out of their vast reserves of wealth is, of course, deeply unpopular with the media barons and the most powerful in society. Ask yourselves just why they've worked so hard over the past 18 months to convince us all that Jeremy Corbyn is the devil incarnate? :lol:

In the UK we label the current raft of Labour policies as 'socialist' and 'extreme.' In reality, they would be regarded in Scandinavia as normal and mainstream social democracy. It's worth remembering that citizens of Scandinavian countries always come top of all key the quality of life indicators..

That said, I personally think that Corbyn should have stood aside some time ago after getting Labour pointing back in the right direction - ie: away from the disastrous Blair years. Unfortunately, a 'scruffy beardy guy who makes his own jam' was always going to be a soft target for the establishment and media barons.

The choice for the electorate is pretty simple in my view: vote for a party who will continue to fail our sick and elderly and kids by not properly investing in our crumbling health and education systems. A party that will see the UK as little more than Trump's American poodle. Or vote for a party who will ask the very wealthiest to pay a bit more so that desperately needed investment is made into health, education and infrastrure for the good of all of us.

I know which way I'll be voting. :thumbright:
alfie sherwood

Postby Merlin11 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:56 am

The polls are closing and that was before yesterday's Tory manifesto triple whammy. It will be interesting to see the reaction of the grey vote and also young families who learned that free school meals will be discontinued. Thatcher took away the milk now Thatcher mark 2 takes away school meals. Jeremy Corbyns poll ratings are also on the up as people like his campaigning skills as opposed to the wooden Theresa May. The right wing on her only know mud slinging with no policies to back up their ridiculous rants.
Merlin11

Postby wez1927 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:35 am

Merlin11 wrote:The polls are closing and that was before yesterday's Tory manifesto triple whammy. It will be interesting to see the reaction of the grey vote and also young families who learned that free school meals will be discontinued. Thatcher took away the milk now Thatcher mark 2 takes away school meals. Jeremy Corbyns poll ratings are also on the up as people like his campaigning skills as opposed to the wooden Theresa May. The right wing on her only know mud slinging with no policies to back up their ridiculous rants.

The polls have not changed which pulls are you on about ?
wez1927

Postby CF14-SE14 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:35 am

The nations Capitol wrote:Left wing = vermin.

Right wing = nazis

My wing =chicken wing
BLUEBIRDS - GLEISION
CF14-SE14

Postby Zabier » Fri May 19, 2017 10:41 am

To be honest, I was disappointed that Corbyn didn't appear on the televised debate last night. I can kind of see the reasoning. It could have just been all parties ganging up on him now UKIP are irrelevant and no longer the punch bag. However, it was an opportunity for him to critically destroy all the Tory policies in an unedited scenario. It was a huge opportunity missed if you ask me.

What were your thoughts on the debate last night? It's a shame that Labour and Conservative weren't represented and quite sad really. Showing a lack of willingness to engage with modern forms of media is frustrating. The one big thing that Corbyn had on May was her reluctance to debate live yet he's now put himself in the same bracket. Little decisions like that won't do Labour any favours. They have a solid manifesto. Yes, the other parties might well have ganged up on Corbyn but he had solid policies to fall back on that most of the other parties would agree with.

Alfie, I'm always interested to hear your views on here on football-related topics. You've made a good point about the Scandinavian countries as well. Once again, facts not interpretations or propaganda. Many won't like to admit it but Britain has always generally been quite a right wing stance nation. Obviously not to the extreme of the Nazis but a lot of stuff we might deem radical and extreme left is actually considered fairly normal in a lot of countries that do well for themselves.
Zabier

Postby angelis1949 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:52 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

I think too much importance is paid to what is printed in the press. I take no great notice of anything in any of the papers, they all have their own agenda. I prefer to listen to what people are saying, and interpret it myself rather than read a reporter's interpretation of something. Anyone who votes based on what they read in the press is only really listening to a small group of reporters who usually have strong view of their own. Whether their views are correct is up to you to prove one way or the other, or alternatively believe everything they say. Down to personal choice I suppose.

I totally agree with you,I would only add that as well as the printed press having their own agenda I would also include the Tv news networks Sky news and the BBC are good examples
angelis1949

Postby wez1927 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:03 am

Zabier wrote:To be honest, I was disappointed that Corbyn didn't appear on the televised debate last night. I can kind of see the reasoning. It could have just been all parties ganging up on him now UKIP are irrelevant and no longer the punch bag. However, it was an opportunity for him to critically destroy all the Tory policies in an unedited scenario. It was a huge opportunity missed if you ask me.

What were your thoughts on the debate last night? It's a shame that Labour and Conservative weren't represented and quite sad really. Showing a lack of willingness to engage with modern forms of media is frustrating. The one big thing that Corbyn had on May was her reluctance to debate live yet he's now put himself in the same bracket. Little decisions like that won't do Labour any favours. They have a solid manifesto. Yes, the other parties might well have ganged up on Corbyn but he had solid policies to fall back on that most of the other parties would agree with.

Alfie, I'm always interested to hear your views on here on football-related topics. You've made a good point about the Scandinavian countries as well. Once again, facts not interpretations or propaganda. Many won't like to admit it but Britain has always generally been quite a right wing stance nation. Obviously not to the extreme of the Nazis but a lot of stuff we might deem radical and extreme left is actually considered fairly normal in a lot of countries that do well for themselves.

You do know that the nazi werent right wing ? They were socialists and have alot of policy similar to the left?
wez1927

Postby Steve Zodiak » Fri May 19, 2017 11:03 am

angelis1949 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

I totally agree with you,I would only add that as well as the printed press having their own agenda I would also include the Tv news networks Sky news and the BBC are good examples

I go along with that. TV channels are more than capable of misleading the public. With regards to the previous post, would have been good to see Corbyn and May at the TV debate, but it could be that they think they argue on the public stage regularly in the House of Commons, and perhaps they do not see the need to make a stage show out of it.
Steve Zodiak

Postby CF14-SE14 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:22 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Zabier wrote:To be honest, I was disappointed that Corbyn didn't appear on the televised debate last night. I can kind of see the reasoning. It could have just been all parties ganging up on him now UKIP are irrelevant and no longer the punch bag. However, it was an opportunity for him to critically destroy all the Tory policies in an unedited scenario. It was a huge opportunity missed if you ask me.

You do know that the nazi werent right wing ? They were socialists and have alot of policy similar to the left?

Re-writing history again :lol:
They were neither you moron, but don't let facts trip you up
The majority of scholars identify Nazism in practice as a form of far-right politics.[11] Far-right themes in Nazism include the argument that superior people have a right to dominate over other people and purge society of supposed inferior elements.[12] Adolf Hitler and other proponents officially portrayed Nazism as being neither left- nor right-wing, but syncretic.[13][14] Hitler in Mein Kampf directly attacked both left-wing and right-wing politics in Germany
BLUEBIRDS - GLEISION
CF14-SE14

Postby wez1927 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:26 pm

CF14-SE14 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Re-writing history again :lol:
They were neither you moron, but don't let facts trip you up
The majority of scholars identify Nazism in practice as a form of far-right politics.[11] Far-right themes in Nazism include the argument that superior people have a right to dominate over other people and purge society of supposed inferior elements.[12] Adolf Hitler and other proponents officially portrayed Nazism as being neither left- nor right-wing, but syncretic.[13][14] Hitler in Mein Kampf directly attacked both left-wing and right-wing politics in Germany

So some of the nazi policies are not the same as corbyns including labour hate of the jews ?
wez1927

Postby alfie sherwood » Fri May 19, 2017 12:28 pm

wez1927 wrote:

That's quite a rewriting of history you've just made there.

The extreme right, ie: Nazis and fascists always believe in tight central (state) control and some populist policies such as full employment, provision of social housing, state ownership etc. However such populism, as in the case of Nazis and fascists, is offset by policies that are at the extreme end of the right wing spectrum. The Nazis for instance were deeply authoritarian and persecuted and ultimately murdered on a vast scale minorities such as the disabled, Jews, gypsies and homosexuals. They also believed in one party dictatorships, huge military spending, expansionist foreign policies and extremely harsh punishments for law breakers.

To suggest they weren't right wing is patently ridiculous.
alfie sherwood

Postby wez1927 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:42 pm

alfie sherwood wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

The extreme right, ie: Nazis and fascists always believe in tight central (state) control and some populist policies such as full employment, provision of social housing, state ownership etc. However such populism, as in the case of Nazis and fascists, is offset by policies that are at the extreme end of the right wing spectrum. The Nazis for instance were deeply authoritarian and persecuted and ultimately murdered on a vast scale minorities such as the disabled, Jews, gypsies and homosexuals. They also believed in one party dictatorships, huge military spending, expansionist foreign policies and extremely harsh punishments for law breakers.

They were centre with some left wing and some right wing policies,i see corbyn with his hatred of the Jews and his state owned philosophy as a left wing nazi
wez1927

Postby Merlin11 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:43 pm

For Wez the uk polling report will give you up to date opinion polls. Labour have moved 32-33%.
Over the next five days their maybe more movement after a dreadful attack on working families and pensioners in the Tory manifesto. Thatcher2 now wants to take away school lunches funding more tax cuts for her rich buddies.
Merlin11

Postby wez1927 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Merlin11 wrote:For Wez the uk polling report will give you up to date opinion polls. Labour have moved 32-33%.
Over the next five days their maybe more movement after a dreadful attack on working families and pensioners in the Tory manifesto. Thatcher2 now wants to take away school lunches funding more tax cuts for her rich buddies.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1495142065045.jpg
Which one to believe
FB_IMG_1495142065045.jpg (25.07 KiB) Viewed 6181 times
wez1927

Postby wez1927 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:47 pm

You gov today
Attachments
Best Prime Minister 16-17 May-01.png
Best Prime Minister 16-17 May-01.png (61.98 KiB) Viewed 6180 times
wez1927

Postby wez1927 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:47 pm

You gov tories still massive lead
Attachments
Voting intention 16-17 May-01.png
Voting intention 16-17 May-01.png (31.9 KiB) Viewed 6180 times
wez1927

Postby Zabier » Fri May 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Polls are completely irrelevant. The majority have been established by those that support the Conservatives. There has even been commentary suggesting polls are used as a method of propaganda to demoralise the opposition and make people think that their vote would make no difference. This isn't just under a Tory government but previous Labour and Liberal governments as well.

Anyway, my personal opinion is that it's no surprise the Tories are in the lead in the polls. I still believe too many people are falling for the right wing media's propaganda but we've been through this. As Super Hans says in Peep Show...

"People like Coldplay and voted for Nazis, Jeremy. You can't trust people!"

As I said before, I just hope people actually bother to register and turn up to vote. Shame on those that don't.
Zabier

Postby BlueDredd » Fri May 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Lets hope that the majority of over 55's have taken a look at the Tory manifesto & picked up on how inconspicuously vague it is , but what they can pull from it is that they're expecting pensioners to bend over and take the hit. Taking away the triple lock, and introducing a new double lock system, also taking away winter fuel allowance affecting over 10 million pensioners, taxing those unfortunate enough to develop dementia, and also raising the cost of the care threshold from £23,000 to £100,000.. But also calculating the value of all their assets in that £100,000... So a huge percentage of pensioners requiring care, will need to sell their homes to fund essential care themselves.

Good luck to the Tory's.
JUDGEMENT TIME!
BlueDredd

Postby alfie sherwood » Fri May 19, 2017 5:00 pm

I wrote this just before Corbyn got elected as leader of Labour and hopefully provides a bit of balance amidst all of the hysteria that surrounds his politics :thumbright:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/phil-jo ... 77656.html

As for the leaders debate - I agree, I think Corbyn should have taken part. That said, Labour's campaign thus far has surprised me and probably lots of other people. It's been impressive and the exciting and costed manifesto is a return to what (pre Thatcher) was known as social democracy.
alfie sherwood

Postby alfie sherwood » Fri May 19, 2017 5:03 pm

wez1927 wrote:
alfie sherwood wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

They were centre with some left wing and some right wing policies,i see corbyn with his hatred of the Jews and his state owned philosophy as a left wing nazi

Fair play, that's the craziest thing I've read in a while.
alfie sherwood

Postby dogfound » Sat May 20, 2017 12:57 am

alfie sherwood wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

youve described both the nazi party under Hitler and many extreme left comunist regimes there.
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Sat May 20, 2017 12:59 am

dogfound wrote:
alfie sherwood wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

youve described both the nazi party under Hitler and many extreme left comunist regimes there.

but cant see it.? or dont want to see it..?
much easier to say its patently rediculous than actually have a balanced take eh
dogfound

Postby alfie sherwood » Sat May 20, 2017 9:13 am

dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:
alfie sherwood wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

but cant see it.? or dont want to see it..?
much easier to say its patently rediculous than actually have a balanced take eh

I hold the extreme left and exteme right in almost equal contempt.

Hope that helps :thumbup:
alfie sherwood

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat