OFF TOPIC " Doctor Who - Good or Bad? "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Is it good or bad that the Doctor will be a woman?

Good
45%
Bad
55%

Total votes : 33

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:50 pm

The BBC have today announced that Broadchurch actress Jodie Whittaker will replace Peter Capaldi as The Doctor in Doctor Who from Christmas.

She will be the first woman to play the role.

Is it good or bad that the title character of that show will be a woman?
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: OFF TOPIC " Doctor Who - Good or Bad? "

Postby Wayne S » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:22 pm

It's not even an issue that requires a question.

The only relevant question is whether anyone thinks the choice of actor is good or bad and as usual we wont find out until they are in the role. Then, as with all actors before her, Jodie she will make the role her own.
Wayne S

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Wayne S wrote:It's not even an issue that requires a question.

The only relevant question is whether anyone thinks the choice of actor is good or bad and as usual we wont find out until they are in the role. Then, as with all actors before her, Jodie she will make the role her own.

Seen a lot of people on social media say they don't agree with the gender change.

I do agree with your point though.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby rumpo kid » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Crap decision....talking of which, where's she going to go..there's only a mens on the Tardis, and the Time Lords have strict rules on who uses the bogs..

Or is the Dr now transgender - in which case, she cant use the ladies either.

Think of the pshycological effect on the poor Dr when she wakes up "Bastards have given me a sex change.... Cheers".
rumpo kid

Postby nubbsy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:48 pm

I don't watch it, but I'd feel the same way as casting James bond as a women as was rumoured and I'd be dissapointed. He's not a woman, so why bother? Lack of male actors? I think not... More pc bullshit and pro descrimination more like.
nubbsy

Postby GrangeEndStar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:09 pm

The look on Capaldi's face when he realises he's got tits and a fangita will be priceless. To complete the BBC's all inclusive full diversity never offend anyone PC policy I imagine there will now be Cyberwomen, hijab wearing Daleks and a rainbow coloured Tardis.
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Postby Buchanan's Exocet » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:22 pm

Apparently the insurance premiums for the Tardis have suddenly gone through the roof.....
Memories fade but the scars still linger!
Buchanan's Exocet

Postby dogfound » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:56 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:

Seen a lot of people on social media say they don't agree with the gender change.

i dont..i dont see any need for positive descrimination in this case.. Dr Who has been a bloke since 1963 why go out of your way to change something that has worked so well...
why not make a different series with the bird time travelling and call it something else.?..maybe that wouldnt that give them and their ilk the same look at me and how fair i moment....
dogfound

Postby Wayne S » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:24 pm

dogfound wrote:i dont..i dont see any need for positive descrimination in this case.. Dr Who has been a bloke since 1963 why go out of your way to change something that has worked so well...
why not make a different series with the bird time travelling and call it something else.?..maybe that wouldnt that give them and their ilk the same look at me and how fair i moment....

Doctor Who is an alien to earth. There is no gender. They are gender fluid.

There's no discrimination positive or otherwise.

The only discrimination is that they don't try hard enough to find an alien to play the doctor.

You do know the Tardis isn't a Police Box, yes.

Have a look at the hoops Disney had to jump through to get the right actor to play Aladdin in their live action version. There was uproar when they intended to cast an Asian. They then went with a Saudi Arabian actor.
Wayne S

Postby rumpo kid » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Here here - Miriam O'Reilly can testify to that...
rumpo kid

Postby GrangeEndStar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:36 pm

The screwdrivers out too. She using a Sonic Selfie Stick.
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Postby dogfound » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:07 pm

Wayne S wrote:
dogfound wrote:i dont..i dont see any need for positive descrimination in this case.. Dr Who has been a bloke since 1963 why go out of your way to change something that has worked so well...

Doctor Who is an alien to earth. There is no gender. They are gender fluid.

There's no discrimination positive or otherwise.

The only discrimination is that they don't try hard enough to find an alien to play the doctor.

You do know the Tardis isn't a Police Box, yes.

Have a look at the hoops Disney had to jump through to get the right actor to play Aladdin in their live action version. There was uproar when they intended to cast an Asian. They then went with a Saudi Arabian actor.

gender fluid but a bloke for 54 years.....right ok.
and btw..the tardis is a police box...or have they decided thats to masculine too and needs changing into one of those smart cars with flowers on.
dogfound

Postby nubbsy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:06 pm

dogfound wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

i dont..i dont see any need for positive descrimination in this case.. Dr Who has been a bloke since 1963 why go out of your way to change something that has worked so well...

Yeah like 'splitarse in space' or 'tits in a tardis'.

I guess those little darlic things do like suspiciously like dildos.
nubbsy

Postby Lordsheep » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 pm

The people giving 'logical' reasons that Doctor Who can't be a woman are hilarious.

Like, they had no problem believing that the Doctor has two hearts, comes from another planet, flies through time and space in a police box, can literally change into a new person every few years, met Vincent Van Gogh, fights weird things with plungers on them, has met the British Army on Mars, had a robot dog, fought statues that can't move when you look at them, fought scarecrows, once had to get some students back after they were turned into wood by their house and once got the earth back AFTER IT WAS BLOODY STOLEN.

All that is fine, but the Doctor now has a female body and they've got all these logical reasons it's wrong, eg 'Time Lord', and a lord has to be a man.

Ha!

My opinion? We've had a dozen male doctors. Don't understand why a female one is such a problem. It's not 'PC gone mad', it's just a new creative direction for a show.
Lordsheep

Postby frazier » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Can't see it working. Tardis hasn't got a kitchen.
frazier

Postby Wolfpac » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:29 pm

Never been a fan of Dr Who, maybe it was before my time, born in the 80s but I think it’s sh*te however my Dad used to enjoy the show until he had the unfortunate commotion with Sylvester Mccoy during a filming of an episode over Barry Island in 1986, my Dad was walking our dog Benji (RIP) over the Island when he ran onto the Butlins camp where it was being filmed, Sylvester booted Benji then laughed, my Dad went over to Sylvester and decked him right on the chin, the police were called and charges dropped as at that point there were 100s of people taking a look, my Dad has not watched an episode since.
Wolfpac

Postby Wayne S » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:36 pm

dogfound wrote:gender fluid but a bloke for 54 years.....right ok.
and btw..the tardis is a police box...or have they decided thats to masculine too and needs changing into one of those smart cars with flowers on.

I know you're on the wind up and the last thing I want to be is some weak arsed attempt at a Who Geek (too late), but....

The TARDIS is not a Police box, it is a space ship with a cloaking device that blends with it's surroundings.

The cloaking capability (I know what its' called but will not say for fear of ridicule :lol:) is broken and is stuck looking like a Police Box.
Wayne S

Postby salopiancity » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:05 pm

Can she park the Tardis ?
salopiancity

Postby rumpo kid » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Why don't we have Claire Grylls..

We could have Shirley Holmes, 221B Baker Street, WonderMan - follow the adventures of Dave Prince...

And Buddy the Vampire slayer...

Some exciting new directions there....
rumpo kid

Postby Dahboy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:16 pm

Women's rights, you dont see many women laying tarmac at night in the pissing down rain do you?
Dahboy

Postby dogfound » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:12 am

Wayne S wrote:
dogfound wrote:gender fluid but a bloke for 54 years.....right ok.

I know you're on the wind up and the last thing I want to be is some weak arsed attempt at a Who Geek (too late), but....

The TARDIS is not a Police box, it is a space ship with a cloaking device that blends with it's surroundings.

The cloaking capability (I know what its' called but will not say for fear of ridicule :lol:) is broken and is stuck looking like a Police Box.

ahhhh...explains everything...well almost...
there really is no explanation for this being a number 1 hit.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdTELokKfCk
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:40 am

Lordsheep wrote:The people giving 'logical' reasons that Doctor Who can't be a woman are hilarious.

Like, they had no problem believing that the Doctor has two hearts, comes from another planet, flies through time and space in a police box, can literally change into a new person every few years, met Vincent Van Gogh, fights weird things with plungers on them, has met the British Army on Mars, had a robot dog, fought statues that can't move when you look at them, fought scarecrows, once had to get some students back after they were turned into wood by their house and once got the earth back AFTER IT WAS BLOODY STOLEN.

All that is fine, but the Doctor now has a female body and they've got all these logical reasons it's wrong, eg 'Time Lord', and a lord has to be a man.

Ha!

My opinion? We've had a dozen male doctors. Don't understand why a female one is such a problem. It's not 'PC gone mad', it's just a new creative direction for a show.

its change for change sake..nothing creative about it
btw...we all know that daleks are not for real..
dogfound

Postby Lordsheep » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:28 am

dogfound wrote:
Lordsheep wrote:The people giving 'logical' reasons that Doctor Who can't be a woman are hilarious.

Ha!

The decision was driven by the new showrunner, Chris Chibnall, not some box ticking suit in BBC HQ. Suggests it was a creative one.

Still though, a woman. What were they thinking? Next they'll allow them to be *actual* doctors smh
Lordsheep

Postby dogfound » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:25 pm

Lordsheep wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Ha!

The decision was driven by the new showrunner, Chris Chibnall, not some box ticking suit in BBC HQ. Suggests it was a creative one.

Still though, a woman. What were they thinking? Next they'll allow them to be *actual* doctors smh[/quote

yes your correct ,was just on a wind up.. changing dr who to a woman is of course mind blowing creative..
dogfound

Postby Lordsheep » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:02 am

dogfound wrote:
Lordsheep wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Ha!

Still though, a woman. What were they thinking? Next they'll allow them to be *actual* doctors smh[/quote

yes your correct ,was just on a wind up.. changing dr who to a woman is of course mind blowing creative..

Never said it was mind blowing creative mate (not really sure where you got that from). Just that the decision was from the creative team therefore suggesting it's not a box ticking exercise.

Keep getting angry about the idea of a lady doctor though mate lol
Lordsheep

Postby rumpo kid » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:09 am

He don't seem angry to me.

Capaldi should be angry - the sex change Doc, wot a lark
rumpo kid

Postby Lordsheep » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:31 am

rumpo kid wrote:He don't seem angry to me.

Capaldi should be angry - the sex change Doc, wot a lark

Bet Capaldi's absolutely livid. A woman! Acting in a popular role! Needs to get back in the kitchen smh
Lordsheep

Postby dogfound » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:42 am

Lordsheep wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Lordsheep wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Ha!

Never said it was mind blowing creative mate (not really sure where you got that from). Just that the decision was from the creative team therefore suggesting it's not a box ticking exercise.

Keep getting angry about the idea of a lady doctor though mate lol

if its not broke..dont fix it. anyway...
im making fun of the tardites or tardestites who it turns out are also a bunch of pc correct idiots ..
but how about changing a football team from blue to red..then claim its not plain stupid but a decision by the creative team.
what a plonker... :lol: :lol: :lol:
dogfound

Postby bluebird04 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:24 am

There was an amazing quote in this season where bill asks the doctor about if he is a man or a woman on regeneration, and the doctor replies with we are the most advanced civilisation in then universe and are not constricted by our pathetic gender problems, or something along the lines.

I loved capaldi as the doctor, he was dark, allowed even children to die etc, my biggest issue was the writer, he kept ending all the episodes the same, love defeats the bad guys, when aliens conquer the world it's love that beats them. The guy couldn't write an ending to save his life. Now they also changed the writer so we could see some amazing new episodes or even worse ones.

I am all for a woman being the doctor, because this opens so many doors for new ways to write episodes, new companions and ideas would be good rather than the same old hash
bluebird04

Return to General Chat