MATCH THREAD " CARDIFF C v SHEFFIELD UTD " MATCH THREAD

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:36 pm

CARDIFF CITY v SHEFFIELD UNITED
Tuesday 15th August 2017, 7.45pm
SkyBet Championship
Cardiff City Stadium

Neil Etheridge Bruno Manga Sol Bamba Sean Morrison Jazz Richards Aron Gunnarsson
Joe Ralls Lee Tomlin Junior Hoilett Nathaniel Mendez-Laing Kenneth Zohore

Substitutes

Brian Murphy Lee Peltier Greg Halford Loic Damour Matthew Kennedy Anthony Pilkington Danny Ward

PAY ON THE NIGHT :thumbright: :bluebird:

Over 1,300 Blades fans will make their journey down South Wales tomorrow evening, good support :ayatollah:

Despite an impressive 3-0 victory over Aston Villa, Warnock could decide to make changes for Sheffield United's visit to Wales as he utilises a powerful-looking squad. Striker Lee Tomlin, who was among the substitutes against Villa, might be in line for a start, and Warnock is also likely to consider a full Cardiff debut for £1.6million signing Danny Ward.

Bruno Manga, meanwhile, is another player set to be debated, with Warnock possibly giving him a run instead of Sol Bamba prior to next Saturday's Molineux appointment with unbeaten Wolves.

Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder has no new injuries as his side look to bounce back from their first defeat since January. The Blades' 20-game unbeaten run was ended at Middlesbrough on Saturday, but Wilder picked up no fresh concerns.

The boss has hinted he might change things around in Wales, though confirmed Ched Evans will not start. George Baldock is also a little way off a return while goalkeeper Simon Moore is recovering from a knee operation.

Joe Bennett was withdrawn through injury in the Bluebirds' 3-0 win against former club Aston Villa on Saturday and it will be interesting if Bennett starts tonight, with Fulham trying to sign him.

Neil Warnock faces a selection headache as his side prepares to face Sheffield United on Tuesday night.

Ideally, the veteran boss won't want to drop any of the starting XI that emphatically dispatched of promotion-favourites Aston Villa, but Warnock will be weary of burning out his players, and will look to draw upon the host of talent waiting in the ranks.

IMG_2153.JPG
IMG_2153.JPG (325.27 KiB) Viewed 9276 times

About Sheffield United

Sheffield United Football Club is a professional association football club based in the city of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. The team competes in the Championship, the second tier of English football. The football club was formed in 1889 as an offshoot of Sheffield United Cricket Club, and are nicknamed The Blades due to Sheffield's history of steel production. The club have played their home games at Bramall Lane since their formation in 1889.

Sheffield United won the original First Division in 1898 and the FA Cup in 1899, 1902, 1915 and 1925. They were beaten finalists in the FA Cup in 1901 and 1936, and reached the semi-finals in 1961, 1993, 1998, 2003 and 2014. They reached the semi-finals of the League Cup in 2003 and 2015.

For most of the club's history they have played in red and white striped shirts with black shorts. Their closest rivals are Sheffield Wednesday, with whom they contest the Steel City derby.

Team News - Predicted Line-Ups

Cardiff City: Etheridge, Peltier, Morrison, Bamba, Bennett, Ralls, Gunnarsson, Damour, Hoilett, Mendez-Laing, Zohore

Sheffield United: Blackman, Basham, Stearman, O'Connell, Freeman, Coutts, Carruthers, Fleck, Stevens, Sharp, Clarke

Form - Last Three Games

Cardiff City 3-0 Aston Villa
Cardiff City 2-1 Portsmouth (AET)
Burton Albion 0-1 Cardiff City

Middlesbrough 1-0 Sheffield United
Sheffield United 3-2 Walsall
Sheffield United 1-0 Brentford

Match Odds

Cardiff City - EVS
Sheffield United - 5/2
Draw - 13/5

Predictions

Post your predictions below :thumbright:

Don't forget to vote for your Man of the Match after the game. That poll will be posted on this forum at full time :thumbright:
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: LATEST NEWS " CARDIFF CITY v SHEFFIELD UNITED " MATCH TH

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:37 pm

City 3- 1 :ayatollah:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:39 pm

I reckon crowd should be 20,000 approx once 1,000 Sheff United fans :thumbright: :bluebird: :ayatollah:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby jamie ccfc bluebirds » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:52 pm

3-0 city confidence is beaming,
jamie ccfc bluebirds

Postby Blue_Barber » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:56 pm

I'd be surprised Annis if we get 20k on a Tuesday although I do hope it's a decent turnout as the atmosphere was electric yesterday!

I'm going for 4-0 City
Blue_Barber

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:07 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:I'd be surprised Annis if we get 20k on a Tuesday although I do hope it's a decent turnout as the atmosphere was electric yesterday!

I'm going for 4-0 City

There's no school, good weather, City fans said they would return if we started winning, three wins in a row, a great manager and so much positivity, our club deserves nothing less than 20,000 :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby City Slicker » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:11 pm

City 2:1 Sheffield United
NML, Ralls

City Slicker

Postby valleyrambill » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:01 pm

This could be a slippery one for us so we have to be careful , how many times have we beaten a top site then lost to a bottom team but we got Warnock now so hopefully that can be put in history lol I can see a win Zohore getting 1 or 2 but as it is a Tuesday a crowd of 18000
[color=#0040BF][/color]
valleyrambill

Postby phildavies » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:11 pm

1-0 city :ayatollah:
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby GrangeEndStar » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:14 pm

2-0 City. Mendez-Laing scores from the halfway line simply by staring at the ball. Zohore gets the second by farting on it.
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:28 pm

2-0 city gunners zohore :bluescarf:
Pembroke bluebird

Postby fred keenor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:40 pm

A measure of reality needed.
Great results are often followed by a mediocre one,also the moment you start believing it's easy football bites your butt.
Warnock's here so perhaps not.

Interesting watching Sheffield yesterday, they should have drawn with a perfectly good goal dissalowed and it was only their first defeat since January.
fred keenor

Postby rossblue » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm not sure why but Iv not been able to buy tickets for the family stand for Tuesday and the QPR game. God knows why. Il have to call first thing in morning.
rossblue

Postby BrettyBluebird » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:04 pm

2-1 city, Damour and Zohore <O>
BrettyBluebird

Postby KavanaghsGreyHair » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:10 pm

A lot of families, escpially those that travel more than 20 minutes will be reluctant to stay out till 10:30pm, regardless of school holidays. We'd do well to get 20,000, but this will definitely be a game that the finance chiefs will get to see how exactly a Tuesday will effect us. And how loyal those fans on a Saturday are.
Think we'll underestimate United, but that front 3 looked incredible. 2-1 City.
KavanaghsGreyHair

Postby boyo1927 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:16 pm

3 nil city after yesterday we looked solid as! Same team neil
boyo1927

Postby rossblue » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Would be content with anything other than a loss tbh. Wolves away is a freebie in terms of points anything is a bonus
rossblue

Postby MOZZER1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:40 pm

thoughts on the game from one of there forums

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?t ... iff.57081/
MOZZER1

Postby Magners » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:22 am

20,000 would be a fantastic crowd for this match.

Cmon City.
Magners

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:08 am

Don't think it'll be as easy as the Villa game but think we will scrape a win. 2-1 Cardiff. Of course if we could keep another clean sheet and win it it'll be a real statement going into the Wolves match. I don't think the home attendance will be quite as much as villa despite the great win. I'd guess 17k - 17,500k including away fans - which is still way up on last season by a mile. if we win this and do well over the next month then by October we should be expecting regular attendances of 20,000 plus.
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:24 pm

3-0 City
1980s Bluebird

Postby Steve Zodiak » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 pm

I'm going for a draw based on nothing more than that we apparently have never won our opening three league fixtures before. Be good if we can get a win, but I guess most of us would have taken seven points from our first three games, nine points would be a nice bonus. :ayatollah:
Steve Zodiak

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:04 pm

' SHEFFIELD UNITED '

By Chris Jones

Monday 14th August 2017

Manager – Chris Wilder

Wilder is no stranger to success in the football league, having clinched three promotions with three different clubs: Oxford United, Northampton Town and Cardiff's visitors. Wilder understands the rigours of life in the footballing pyramid and is a shrewd operator who has a keen tactical insight. Like Warnock, Wilder demands hard work and commitment, with this being the backbone of every side he has managed.

Weaknesses

The Blades fell to promotion-favourites Middlesbrough on the weekend, with the sole goal coming from previous City man Rudy Gestede. That goal was symbolic of the complacency that has undermined the United defence in the opening weeks. In League One, defensive mishaps might go unpunished, but in the Championship such errors are capitalised upon.

It was the same story against Brentford in their opening match and were it not for Brentford's profligacy in front of goal, Wilder's side would have suffered a defeat. The Bluebirds boast proficient attacking talent and will surely exploit any errors should they materialise once more.

Kenneth Zohore caused mayhem in Saturday's win over Villa by running in between the full-backs and the centre-backs and should find similar opportunity on Tuesday night. Against Boro and Brentford, United's full-backs were left exposed as runners utilised such space on a number of occasions – red-hot Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Junior Hoilett should look to continue their impressive starts to the season by exploiting such defensive holes.

Wilder's team are also vulnerable to efficient transitional play, with defenders left leaden footed if a ball is lost and the opposition are direct in their play after gaining possession. In a game where tight is likely to be the buzz-word, Warnock's men might have to be ruthless in such moments.

United's opening Championship matches have been settled by just one goal, which suggests that the Bluebirds faithful should expect a close and well-fought encounter. Even with Cardiff's forward men in such dominant form, this will be no walk in the park.

Yet this is United's second away game in four days and travel-weariness might determine this one, with the unrelenting pace of the league putting a strain on fitness, especially away from home.

Predictions in the Championship is a fool's game, but the Bluebirds should have enough fire-power to seal four wins from as many games come Tuesday night.
Attachments
JS118276214.jpg
JS118276214.jpg (80.52 KiB) Viewed 7865 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Neil Warnock's selection dilemmas: The small changes Cardiff City boss might make against Sheffield United

By Michael Jones

Cardiff v Sheffield United - Match Preview

Monday 14th August 2017

Neil Warnock faces a selection headache as his side prepares to face Sheffield United on Tuesday night.

Ideally, the veteran boss won't want to drop any of the starting XI that emphatically dispatched of promotion-favourites Aston Villa, but Warnock will be weary of burning out his players, and will look to draw upon the host of talent waiting in the ranks.

Tomlin in for a midfielder?

Warnock's midfield trio of Joe Ralls, Aron Gunnarsson and Loic Damour worked in perfect harmony against Villa, as Damour's class on the ball dovetailed with the industry and fight of Ralls and Gunnarsson. This is perhaps the toughest decision facing Warnock: does he stick with a midfield three or bring in the creative flair of Lee Tomlin?

Cardiff will be expected to have the lion's share of possession and are likely to face a resilient and compact Blades' defence.

With this in mind, Warnock may be tempted to drop one of the aforementioned three in preference for a player who has the rare quality to unlock organised defences with a cutting pass or enigmatic piece of skill.

None of the three who started against Villa deserve to be dropped, but Warnock may have to make this toughest of calls if he is to guide the Bluebirds to three successive Championship wins.

Manga to return in back three?

A start for Tomlin — who is not a natural wide man — might signal a return to the 3-5-2 formation that Warnock deployed in City's opening day victory over Burton Albion, for 65 minutes at least. Manga's exclusion from the starting line-up was Saturday's surprise as Warnock opted for four at the back against Steve Bruce's side.

The Gabon international could also return in place of Sol Bamba who was selected for the Villa clash because of his no-nonsense defensive play.

In a game where Cardiff will look to dictate the tempo, however, Manga's composed play out from the back might warrant a selection over Bamba, despite the Ivorian's eye-catching display versus Villa.

A first league start for Danny Ward?

The £1.6 million man has yet to start a league game under Warnock, but has impressed when coming off the bench. Warnock will not want to drop Nathaniel Mendez-Laing after his immense display on Saturday, but could potentially rest Junior Hoilett.

The Canadian has not had a full summer break because of his involvement in the Gold Cup over the summer, where he inspired his country to the quarter-finals. Ward perhaps isn't as quick as Hoilett, but the former Rotherham man more than makes up for it with his industry and beguiling movement.

Ward will be raring to go and the Sheffield United clash could be a perfect opportunity to unleash to crafty forward on the left side of a front three.

Richards to replace Bennett?

Joe Bennett will have enjoyed Cardiff's victory on Saturday more than most after his ignominious exit from the midlands club. Dampening his joy though, the ex-Villa man limped off midway through the second half and looked to have picked up an injury.

With Warnock keen to avoid long-term damage to his buccaneering full-back and Bennett a midweek doubt, Jazz Richards may come into the side. The Welshman is a reliable replacement and would have perhaps felt a little unlucky not to have been starting after a promising end to last season.
Attachments
4221396001_5540572493001_5540561014001-vs.jpg
4221396001_5540572493001_5540561014001-vs.jpg (121.01 KiB) Viewed 7807 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:27 pm

Over 1,300 Blades fans will make their journey down South Wales tomorrow evening, good support

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby TopCat CCFC » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:33 pm

Referee: LEE MASON
Assistants: Jake Collin and Dan Cook
Fourth Official: Andy Davies

Over 13 years since first officiating a Cardiff City match experienced Premier League official Lee Mason is the man in the middle for Tuesday night's game with Sheffield Utd.

Records show Mason was the referee when Cardiff lost 2 - 1 at West Brom back in 2004, since 2006 he has been a Premier League official.

Last season he took charge of 25 games issuing 96 yellow cards and three red.
TopCat CCFC

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:36 am

Joe Bennett was withdrawn through injury in the Bluebirds' 3-0 win against former club Aston Villa on Saturday and it will be interesting if Bennett starts tonight, with Fulham trying to sign him.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:23 am

Match facts

Cardiff have only managed a victory in one of their last five Championship home games against Sheffield United (D2 L2), with the last two meetings ending 1-1.

However, the Welsh outfit have only lost one of their last eight league encounters against the Blades (W3 D4).

Neil Warnock is set to meet his former club Sheffield United for the eighth time since he left them in 2007; he's lost only one of those seven meetings (W3 D3), a 2-0 defeat as Crystal Palace manager in December 2009.

Cardiff have won both of their opening two games to a league season for the first time since 2011-12 - the Bluebirds have never won their first three games of a league season in their entire history.

Sheffield United's Billy Sharp has scored just 12 goals in his 61 Championship appearances since the start of 2013-14 - this compared to 51 goals in 90 League One appearances over the last two seasons.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:53 am

Despite an impressive 3-0 victory over Aston Villa, Warnock could decide to make changes for Sheffield United's visit to Wales as he utilises a powerful-looking squad. Striker Lee Tomlin, who was among the substitutes against Villa, might be in line for a start, and Warnock is also likely to consider a full Cardiff debut for £1.6million signing Danny Ward.

Bruno Manga, meanwhile, is another player set to be debated, with Warnock possibly giving him a run instead of Sol Bamba prior to next Saturday's Molineux appointment with unbeaten Wolves.

Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder has no new injuries as his side look to bounce back from their first defeat since January. The Blades' 20-game unbeaten run was ended at Middlesbrough on Saturday, but Wilder picked up no fresh concerns.

The boss has hinted he might change things around in Wales, though confirmed Ched Evans will not start. George Baldock is also a little way off a return while goalkeeper Simon Moore is recovering from a knee operation.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:46 pm

VINCE ALM:

Hearing from Sheffield united fans over 1,300 of them traveling down tomorrow good effort on a Tuesday Night, lets hope we turn out in big numbers after that good performance on Saturday

Forever Blue
Admin

Next

Return to General Chat