Etheridge Again!

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Etheridge Again!

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:05 pm

I'm sorry but of the 6 games I have seen Etheridge in I'm still not totally convinced about him being a top championship keeper. Came sprinting out of his box against Sheff United and we would have conceded against a better team, Error against Qpr, Error against Wolves where he should have caught it and instead parried it where the goal came from, and yesterday he needed Bennett to save him after another mistake. His kicking is really awful as well. I really cant wait for Camp to get fit as I believe Etheridge is a League 1 GK. Hope he does improve though but of the Warnock signings this season he's the only one that's underwhelmed for me this season. Opinions?
Bluebird Warrior

Etheridge Again!

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Etheridge Again!

Postby boyo1927 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:16 pm

I think the lad has done well.pulled of a couple of good saves yesterday. Seems strong on crosses too. Yes he had a rash moment yesterday and in a few others but overall done ok. Lee camp from memory at other teams could be rash at times. Etheridge still number 1 for me
boyo1927

Postby Sven » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:I'm sorry but of the 6 games I have seen Etheridge in I'm still not totally convinced about him being a top championship keeper. Came sprinting out of his box against Sheff United and we would have conceded against a better team, Error against Qpr, Error against Wolves where he should have caught it and instead parried it where the goal came from, and yesterday he needed Bennett to save him after another mistake. His kicking is really awful as well. I really cant wait for Camp to get fit as I believe Etheridge is a League 1 GK. Hope he does improve though but of the Warnock signings this season he's the only one that's underwhelmed for me this season. Opinions?

Seems to be an integral part of the team in our unbeaten start to the season and has performed pretty well in my eyes. Kicks and distributes the ball well and has done a lot more good than bad in the City goal :thumbup:

Each to their own but after 5 wins and a draw in the opening 6 games, I don't think anyone in the team/squad is worthy of being singled out for criticism ;) :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:36 pm

Sven wrote:
Bluebird Warrior wrote:I'm sorry but of the 6 games I have seen Etheridge in I'm still not totally convinced about him being a top championship keeper. Came sprinting out of his box against Sheff United and we would have conceded against a better team, Error against Qpr, Error against Wolves where he should have caught it and instead parried it where the goal came from, and yesterday he needed Bennett to save him after another mistake. His kicking is really awful as well. I really cant wait for Camp to get fit as I believe Etheridge is a League 1 GK. Hope he does improve though but of the Warnock signings this season he's the only one that's underwhelmed for me this season. Opinions?

Seems to be an integral part of the team in our unbeaten start to the season and has performed pretty well in my eyes. Kicks and distributes the ball well and has done a lot more good than bad in the City goal :thumbup:

Each to their own but after 5 wins and a draw in the opening 6 games, I don't think anyone in the team/squad is worthy of being singled out for criticism ;) :ayatollah:

That's fair enough, but I always feel nervous with him in goal and I felt more confident with McGregor in goal last season tbh. His kicking is awful though, every time he kicks it, it always seems to go wayward. But as I said hope he improves and becomes a top GK but in my opinion every time we concede it always seems to be due to an error by him.
Bluebird Warrior

Postby dogfound » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:42 pm

more than a bit unfair..top of the league conceded 3.
dogfound

Postby GrangeEndStar » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:12 pm

My opinion is that Etheridge has been nothing but impressive including pre-season. Positioning, sharpness, btavery, shot-stopping, distribution by hands and feet, set-piece defence and corners are strong. One of the best parts of his game is coming out and clearing - he reads this well and is strong and quick. He's now communicating well with the back four. And how about the double stop and tip over yesterday,? Both saves that equate to two goals. I was a big Marshall fan and I've followed Etheridge over the last year and was delighted he's joined. A superb GK who is only going to get better.
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Postby Wolfpac » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:16 pm

He had no chance in hell of saving that goal yesterday player 3 yards out and buried it, got to blame our CB yesterday as didn't pick up Sessegnon for the goal
Wolfpac

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:27 pm

Played 6, won 5 drawn 1. Hard to be too critical of anyone right now.
Steve Zodiak

Postby salopiancity » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:47 pm

In general a goal keeper making a mistake gets exaggerated because of his position and it can lead to conceding. A striker missing a chance, it's ah well he'll score next time. The way of a football supporter.
salopiancity

Postby GotMeSingingTheBlues » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:47 pm

Good shot stopper, commands the high ball well and communicates well with the boys in front of him. His kicking is very unsure mind and I'm not entirely confident in him when he has to sweep up. If so far is anything to go off I'm sure he'll do a good job for us, it will be interesting to see what happens when Lee camp comes back in aswell.
GotMeSingingTheBlues

Postby BlueVanman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:04 pm

dogfound wrote:

more than a bit unfair..top of the league conceded 3.

Exactly this :ayatollah: More than happy with Etheridges performance so far :thumbup:
BlueVanman

Postby nubbsy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:53 pm

Well right now he's in a team that's top of the league.

Yes he has his faults, let's not forget that he's a young keeper thrown in the deep end. He's had a few moments but overall looks a decent player who's made some great saves and is very vocal. definitely one that could keep getting better - just look at Marshall, he couldn't catch a cold for years!
nubbsy

Postby TopCat CCFC » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:15 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Played 6, won 5 drawn 1. Hard to be too critical of anyone right now.

:thumbup: :bluebird:
TopCat CCFC

Postby Dahboy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:07 pm

Still better than Marshall.
Dahboy

Postby gwentbluebirds » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:53 am

I put on here weeks ago when we signed him from Walsall. I have a mate who lives there and his a ST holder and he said back then he's a good shot stopper but will make a lot of errors especially from balls into the box . Judgement /handling. Hopefully Andy Dibble can work on improving this as his other parts to his game looks decent
gwentbluebirds

Postby nojac » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:13 am

If he was the perfect keeper, guess what we wouldn't have him.
I'd still rather him , than a lot of keepers including Joe Hart , the most overrated keeper ever.
nojac

Postby OptimisticBlue » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:41 am

Overall an alright keeper, shocking kicking and a bit reckless when coming out of his box. When Camp is back, providing he proves himself, he'll be the #1 for sure. :ayatollah:
OptimisticBlue

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:16 pm

I think he's a good shot stopper and generally a good keeper, I do feel he has a mistake in him a game. they haven't always cost us but he does make them. Hopefully he can build on a good start, always hardest for keepers moving clubs as they have to make an impression straight away.
2blue2handle

Postby DandoCCFC » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:29 pm

Bar QPR where we could question Etheridge or Bamba on that one he hasn't put a foot wrong, great distribution as well.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Another home game he came and made a hash of it losing the ball to the side of the box and the team almost scored, I can't think which game it was now.
2blue2handle

Postby JimmyJazz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:23 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Another home game he came and made a hash of it losing the ball to the side of the box and the team almost scored, I can't think which game it was now.

Against Villa I think first half - I saw that too.

I liked Marshy but he hardly ever come out of the 6 yard box and was not good with crosses. This boy is alright and as others say hopefully he can improve his 'out of the box' decision making.

CTID
My father missed the cup final in 1927 as my grandad only had 2 tickets, and my Dad had an older brother!
JimmyJazz

Postby GENERAL CHAT » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:24 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Bad night at the office..... :oops:
Edmund: Have you ever been to Wales, Baldrick?
Baldrick: No, but I've often thought that I'd like to.
Edmund: Well don't. It's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough, sinewy men roam the valleys terrifying people with their close-harmony singing
GENERAL CHAT

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:36 pm

I think his performance tonight backs up my post tbh. Kicking crap and cant catch a cold. The quicker Camp comes back the better, and as I said in another post we should have started with Tomlin instead of Damour. Hopefully we will bounce back on Saturday but Etheridge still is not proving to me that he is a good championship keeper yet.
Bluebird Warrior

Postby DandoCCFC » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:I think his performance tonight backs up my post tbh. Kicking crap and cant catch a cold. The quicker Camp comes back the better, and as I said in another post we should have started with Tomlin instead of Damour. Hopefully we will bounce back on Saturday but Etheridge still is not proving to me that he is a good championship keeper yet.

It doesn't back up your post because everything you said before the game last night was nonsense and gibberish.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby GrangeEndStar » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:24 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:
Bluebird Warrior wrote:I think his performance tonight backs up my post tbh. Kicking crap and cant catch a cold. The quicker Camp comes back the better, and as I said in another post we should have started with Tomlin instead of Damour. Hopefully we will bounce back on Saturday but Etheridge still is not proving to me that he is a good championship keeper yet.

It doesn't back up your post because everything you said before the game last night was nonsense and gibberish.

:lol: Very true. He obviously doesn't like him for some reason as Etheridge has been superb since joining us. I strongly suspect that Bluebird Warrior is Lee Camp's mother. Or even Lee Camp!
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Return to General Chat