We've had a tough run of fixtures agreed?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Bluebina » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:14 am

Sheffield United 3rd
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

So three of the top five and we took maximum points off two of them, and two of those games were away, so aswell as being top two, we,ve had a tough set of fixtures :ayatollah:
Bluebina

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: We've had a tough run of fixtures agreed?

Postby Steve Zodiak » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 am

Bluebina wrote:Sheffield United 3rd
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

So three of the top five and we took maximum points off two of them, and two of those games were away, so aswell as being top two, we,ve had a tough set of fixtures :ayatollah:

Don't know the answer to this question as the tables are completely irrelevant when each team has played just 7 of the 23 other sides in the league. Will have a better idea after another 7 games when we will know who may be challenging at the top end this season.
Steve Zodiak

Postby piledriver64 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:09 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

Don't know the answer to this question as the tables are completely irrelevant when each team has played just 7 of the 23 other sides in the league. Will have a better idea after another 7 games when we will know who may be challenging at the top end this season.

I agree with that but the next 3 games look particularly tough and will give us a pretty good idea of where we are: Sheff Wed (h), Sunderland (a) and Leeds (h) :shock: :lol:
piledriver64

Postby Steve Zodiak » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:01 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

I agree with that but the next 3 games look particularly tough and will give us a pretty good idea of where we are: Sheff Wed (h), Sunderland (a) and Leeds (h) :shock: :lol:

They certainly look tough to me. This is why I believe the table means nothing at the moment, Sunderland are in 20th place, and I doubt very much that they will be just outside the relegation spots mid way through the season, and I also doubt that Leeds will be top at the half way stage. No easy run of fixtures in this league, and those tables will show big changes over the next few months.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Bluebina » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

Too right we've already played the rest of the top six bar Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds and they are next !!!

So to add

Sheffield United 3rd
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

Followed by
Sheffield Wednesday 6th (home though)
Sunderland 20th (in poor form but away)
Leeds 1st (home again)

So within ten games thats all the top six, (except ourselves obviously)

Now that really is a tough start, and shows how well we've already done so far !!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/table
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:11 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

They certainly look tough to me. This is why I believe the table means nothing at the moment, Sunderland are in 20th place, and I doubt very much that they will be just outside the relegation spots mid way through the season, and I also doubt that Leeds will be top at the half way stage. No easy run of fixtures in this league, and those tables will show big changes over the next few months.

We have a run of games against teams that are in good form, I see Sunderland as a good fixture at this moment in time because they are obviously struggling, where as Leeds is a tough fixture because they are confident and flying, even though it's early the league doesn't lie, we are seven games in now.......
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:22 am

The only team Leeds have played in the top six are Preston and that was at home, so they have not yet played the teams on good current form. They have, Ipswich, Us and Sheffield Wednesday in the next four along with Millwall, so we really see whats what 10 or 11 games in............
Bluebina

Postby Steve Zodiak » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:24 am

Bluebina wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

We have a run of games against teams that are in good form, I see Sunderland as a good fixture at this moment in time because they are obviously struggling, where as Leeds is a tough fixture because they are confident and flying, even though it's early the league doesn't lie, we are seven games in now.......

I don't quite agree with you about the league table at this stage. The table reflects the way the fixtures were drawn rather than the best teams being at the top. I think you need a dozen or so games to see which way things may be heading, and probably most teams to have played each other once to get a truly accurate picture. Right now Watford, Burnley and Huddersfield are above Arsenal and Liverpool, and I would bet money that is not a true reflection on the strengths and abilities of those teams, and normal service will resume once they have all played each other once.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Bluebina » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:39 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

I don't quite agree with you about the league table at this stage. The table reflects the way the fixtures were drawn rather than the best teams being at the top. I think you need a dozen or so games to see which way things may be heading, and probably most teams to have played each other once to get a truly accurate picture. Right now Watford, Burnley and Huddersfield are above Arsenal and Liverpool, and I would bet money that is not a true reflection on the strengths and abilities of those teams, and normal service will resume once they have all played each other once.

You are missing the point, I am saying we have played the teams in good current form, have Huddersfield played any of the top six ???
No they've played all the teams in poor form West ham, Palace, Newcastle and Southampton all bottom teams ???
Bluebina

Postby dogfound » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:48 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

not completely irrelevant. this time last season {7 games } newcastle were 2nd..huddersfield 3rd and brighton 7th...all th play off teams were top half and the 3 relegated sides were bottom 5.
more often than not where anomalies arise is when clubs have good or bad starts due to being fortunate or unfortunate with fixtures..eg Bristol Citys decent start last year { 7 points off wigan,burton and rotherham }
id be far more concerned about our form being a flash in the pan if we were leeds having played 4 teams that have 3 wins between them.
im not saying we can not colapse or that Sunderland wont have a revival but its rare.
dogfound

Postby Bluebina » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:17 am

dogfound wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

not completely irrelevant. this time last season {7 games } newcastle were 2nd..huddersfield 3rd and brighton 7th...all th play off teams were top half and the 3 relegated sides were bottom 5.
more often than not where anomalies arise is when clubs have good or bad starts due to being fortunate or unfortunate with fixtures..eg Bristol Citys decent start last year { 7 points off wigan,burton and rotherham }
id be far more concerned about our form being a flash in the pan if we were leeds having played 4 teams that have 3 wins between them.
im not saying we can not colapse or that Sunderland wont have a revival but its rare.

Spot on :thumbup:
Bluebina

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

Correct Steve and at the times we played Fulham, Sheffield United and Preston, they were all much lower in the table.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:45 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

Correct Steve and at the times we played Fulham, Sheffield United and Preston, they were all much lower in the table.

That's the point I was trying to make earlier. These teams may be 4th, 5th or whatever, but they were'nt when we played them. Preston are now top six because they beat us, they were lower when we actually played them. Two wins at this stage can mean improving your position by 10 places or so, and if we were to lose our next two games, even though we are currently in the automatic promotion places we could easily find ourselves in the bottom half. Much too early to look at tables as a guide to who are the contenders for promotion or relegation.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Bluebina » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:00 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

That's the point I was trying to make earlier. These teams may be 4th, 5th or whatever, but they were'nt when we played them. Preston are now top six because they beat us, they were lower when we actually played them. Two wins at this stage can mean improving your position by 10 places or so, and if we were to lose our next two games, even though we are currently in the automatic promotion places we could easily find ourselves in the bottom half. Much too early to look at tables as a guide to who are the contenders for promotion or relegation.

Nah we will have to agree to disagree, six to seven games is usually used to demonstrate current form, and we have had a completely different set of games to Leeds for example, who have played all the team in poor form, we will beat them and they will drop down the league when they face the in form teams.
Bluebina

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:24 pm

All the games are tough, no easy ones, its about keeping momentum, massive game Saturday now. We really need to win to keep it going.
2blue2handle

Postby dogfound » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

the combination of other teams results required means its impossible for any team to jump 10 places should they win the next 2 games at the moment in our division.
and impossible for us to drop into the bottom half should we lose 2..
your also under estimating early form as a guide...where as the bookies have drasitcally altered their odds.
yes some teams will improve and others drop off. but that can also happen late in the season {leeds last year }..but generally the teams who end up close to the top have had good starts and vice versa for relegated teams..
over the last 4 years no team from the bottom 6 after 7 games have finished top 6....3 bottom half teams have finished top 6 12.5%..the rest 87.5% were top half after 7 games...and no team in the top ten after 7 games got relegated
if thats not a guide i dont know what is.
dogfound

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:52 pm

dogfound wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

the combination of other teams results required means its impossible for any team to jump 10 places should they win the next 2 games at the moment in our division.
your also under estimating early form as a guide...where as the bookies have drasitcally altered their odds.
yes some teams will improve and others drop off. but that can also happen late in the season {leeds last year }..but generally the teams who end up close to the top have had good starts and vice versa for relegated teams..
over the last 4 years no team from the bottom 6 after 7 games have finished top 6....3 bottom half teams have finished top 6 12.5%..the rest 87.5% were top half after 7 games...and no team in the top ten after 7 games got relegated

The other side of the debate is where were we after 8 games last season. To rub salt into the wound it was Leeds who beat us and sent us to the foot of the table. Despite being last, we still ended up in the top half of the table, and eventually finished a full 39 points ahead of the bottom side.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Wayne S » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

Compared to Leeds

Preston 5th Home
Forest 8th Away
Fulham 13th Home
Sunderland 20th Away
Burton 21st Home
Birmingham 22nd Home
Bolton 24th Away

And only drawing at home against two of the higher placed teams
Wayne S

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Wayne S wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

Compared to Leeds

Preston 5th Home
Forest 8th Away
Fulham 13th Home
Sunderland 20th Away
Burton 21st Home
Birmingham 22nd Home
Bolton 24th Away

Where were the teams placed when the matches took place? Preston were not 5th when we played them, they moved up to 5th after the match because they beat us. Need to remember that some of these teams Leeds beat are towards the bottom because Leeds helped put them there. We have fans saying that the table is a reasonable reflection of this league after just 7 games, yet that does'nt appear to be true of Leeds, only us. From what I've read on here, Leeds are only at the top because they have played rubbish sides, yet we are there because the table does'nt lie. Looks like it does'nt lie where we are concerned, but does where Leeds are concerned. Does'nt sound right to me.
Steve Zodiak

Postby dogfound » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

The other side of the debate is where were we after 8 games last season. To rub salt into the wound it was Leeds who beat us and sent us to the foot of the table. Despite being last, we still ended up in the top half of the table, and eventually finished a full 39 points ahead of the bottom side.

last year Warnocks achievement was fantastic...i said it enough on here..
certainly not run of the mill....and in fact only been bettered once again by Leeds in 88 /89 who climbed to 10th.. who btw used it as a springboard to win the division the following year.
dogfound

Postby Wayne S » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

Compared to Leeds

Preston 5th Home
Forest 8th Away
Fulham 13th Home
Sunderland 20th Away
Burton 21st Home
Birmingham 22nd Home
Bolton 24th Away

Where were the teams placed when the matches took place? Preston were not 5th when we played them, they moved up to 5th after the match because they beat us. Need to remember that some of these teams Leeds beat are towards the bottom because Leeds helped put them there. We have fans saying that the table is a reasonable reflection of this league after just 7 games, yet that does'nt appear to be true of Leeds, only us. From what I've read on here, Leeds are only at the top because they have played rubbish sides, yet we are there because the table does'nt lie. Looks like it does'nt lie where we are concerned, but does where Leeds are concerned. Does'nt sound right to me.

The only table that is a true reflection of the teams ability is the one published after 46 games.

We only have seven game to play with but the comparisons do work.

You say that teams are down the bottom because Leeds help put them there..... The same can be said of the teams we played. HOWEVER, the teams we played are doing a lot better than the teams Leeds played.

What does that tell us? Whereas Leeds are joined by other teama in putting club's near the bottom. We have only helped put club's mid table and above.... other teams have not helped place them lower.

The comparison is all we have at the moment.
Wayne S

Postby TopCat CCFC » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:42 pm

No Easy Games In The Championship ;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby Bluebina » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:07 am

Wayne S wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

Compared to Leeds

Preston 5th Home
Forest 8th Away
Fulham 13th Home
Sunderland 20th Away
Burton 21st Home
Birmingham 22nd Home
Bolton 24th Away

The only table that is a true reflection of the teams ability is the one published after 46 games.

We only have seven game to play with but the comparisons do work.

You say that teams are down the bottom because Leeds help put them there..... The same can be said of the teams we played. HOWEVER, the teams we played are doing a lot better than the teams Leeds played.

What does that tell us? Whereas Leeds are joined by other teama in putting club's near the bottom. We have only helped put club's mid table and above.... other teams have not helped place them lower.

The comparison is all we have at the moment.

Spot on as a comparison of 7 games we have had a tough run and are doing really well.

You can't take anything away from Leeds they are top of the League, but so far have had a far easier run, next four games will see how good they are when they come up against top teams.
Bluebina

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:25 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Wolves away 4th
Preston away 5th
QPR 10th
Fulham away 14th
Aston Villa 18th
Burton away 21st

With you on that Steve :thumbright:

For me, Sheff Wednesday home this Saturday is a proper test,they are one of the in-form teams.

Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Bluebina » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:05 pm

Bluebina wrote:The only team Leeds have played in the top six are Preston and that was at home, so they have not yet played the teams on good current form. They have, Ipswich, Us and Sheffield Wednesday in the next four along with Millwall, so we really see whats what 10 or 11 games in............

Now Leeds are playing better teams they are losing, the point I was making, we are top and have had a really tough start with fixtures, the next three months we have ON PAPER, far easier fixtures, we've already played all the teams on form.........
Bluebina

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Bluebina wrote:The only team Leeds have played in the top six are Preston and that was at home, so they have not yet played the teams on good current form. They have, Ipswich, Us and Sheffield Wednesday in the next four along with Millwall, so we really see whats what 10 or 11 games in............

Now Leeds are playing better teams they are losing, the point I was making, we are top and have had a really tough start with fixtures, the next three months we have ON PAPER, far easier fixtures, we've already played all the teams on form.........

Yes but teams forms change through the season. You could get lucky and play all teams who are out of form for one reason or another. Also it could go the other way and we end up playing everyone who is on a good run of form. You just don't know. The only thing for sure is if you don't turn up then whoever you are up against you will lose.
Bakedalasker

Postby dogfound » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Yes but teams forms change through the season. You could get lucky and play all teams who are out of form for one reason or another. Also it could go the other way and we end up playing everyone who is on a good run of form. You just don't know. The only thing for sure is if you don't turn up then whoever you are up against you will lose.

ive always thought this myself..this year Leeds, Ipswich and more recently Villa have played a bunch of teams who couldnt win a raffle..chances are some of those teams might pick up some form as we did last season..
the cliche is tables dont lie ..when often they do..?
dogfound

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:47 pm

dogfound wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

ive always thought this myself..this year Leeds, Ipswich and more recently Villa have played a bunch of teams who couldnt win a raffle..chances are some of those teams might pick up some form as we did last season..

Well last season just proved how important it is to have a good manager.

The way we climbed up the table with Warnock at the helm proved we had a good enough squad who should have been challenging for the top 6. Perhaps if Warnock came in say after 5 games then perhaps we would have sneaked it. We will never know.

Also you have to take into account the teams in the league then and now. I think last season was a lot harder. Newcastle were always the favourites to go straight back up and then there was Brighton who had grown so much in the Championship that they had actually outgrown it. This season I don't think there are any teams who are in Newcastle or Brighton status. You would think Derby would be the Brighton but they don't have the confidence. Newcastle were the team that came down last season but can you see any of the 3 sides coming down this season challenging. I can't but can see 2 of them fighting against relegation. It is a difficult league to get out of I will agree but I don't think it is as difficult as last season.
Bakedalasker

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:49 pm

dogfound wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

The way we climbed up the table with Warnock at the helm proved we had a good enough squad who should have been challenging for the top 6. Perhaps if Warnock came in say after 5 games then perhaps we would have sneaked it. We will never know.

Also you have to take into account the teams in the league then and now. I think last season was a lot harder. Newcastle were always the favourites to go straight back up and then there was Brighton who had grown so much in the Championship that they had actually outgrown it. This season I don't think there are any teams who are in Newcastle or Brighton status. You would think Derby would be the Brighton but they don't have the confidence. Newcastle were the team that came down last season but can you see any of the 3 sides coming down this season challenging. I can't but can see 2 of them fighting against relegation. It is a difficult league to get out of I will agree but I don't think it is as difficult as last season.
Bakedalasker

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:44 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

The championship is always hard to get out of! Why do people say its easier the next season ? Only need take look at record of relegated premiership sides and see how many get promotion next season! Like people say its the most competitive league in Europe bar none so never easy whoever is in it . :old:
pembroke allan

Next

Return to General Chat