Moldova
Liechtenstein
Malta
Andorra
Kosovo
San Marino
Gibraltar

BBC

Wales have missed out on a place in the top tier of Uefa's new Nations League tournament after losing their final World Cup qualifier.

The Nations League sees the 55 European national teams divided into four pots dependant on their rankings, with the top 12 going into League A.

The Republic of Ireland, who beat Wales to get into the World Cup play-off, are also in League B with Northern Ireland.

England are in League A with Scotland in League C.

Netherlands' 2-0 win over Sweden in their final game in World Cup qualifying Group D took them above Wales, into 12th place in Uefa's co-efficient rankings, to claim the final place in League A.

But what is the Nations League? How does it work? And what's the point of it?

Uefa say it "creates more meaningful and competitive matches for teams and a dedicated calendar and structure for national team football".

- The competition, which starts in September 2018, will provide four qualifying spots for Euro 2020.

- By virtue of the format, lower-tier countries - the bottom 16 in the rankings - are now guaranteed one of the 24 qualifying slots for the European Championship finals.

- There will also be promotion and relegation between divisions.

- Each of the four tiers A, B, C and D will contain four groups of three or four teams, with these decided in a draw on Wednesday, 24 January 2018 in Lausanne, Switzerland.

The Format

- The 55 European national teams have been divided into four leagues based on Uefa's national association coefficient rankings on 11 October, 2017.

- Leagues A and B, the top two divisions, will consist of four groups of three teams.

- League C will comprise one group of three teams and three groups of four sides, while League D will be made up of four groups of four teams.

- The draw for the first phase Nations League will take place in Lausanne, Switzerland, on 24 January, 2018.

- In each league, four group winners are promoted (or play in the Nations League Finals, see below) and four teams are relegated for the next competition to be played in 2020.

- The overall Nations League rankings will determine the composition of the draw pots for the subsequent European qualifiers (European Championship or World Cup).

- The Nations League will also provide four teams which will contest play-offs in March 2020 (see below) to qualify for Euro 2020.

When will it take place?

- The Nations League group games will be held over six matchdays, during the 'double-headers' in September, October and November 2018.

- The winners of the four groups in League A will contest the Nations League Finals competition in June 2019.

- The knockout Nations League Finals (semi-finals, third-place match and final) will be hosted by one of the four countries, appointed by the Uefa Executive Committee in December 2018.

How will it affect qualifiers?

- The top two in each of the 10 qualifying groups for Euro 2020 will qualify automatically. There will be five groups of five teams and five groups of six teams.

- The remaining four of the 24 places for Euro 2020 will go to play-off winners, comprised of the 16 group winners of the Nations League.

- The Euro 2020 qualifying draw will be made after the completion of the UEFA Nations League and allow for the four UEFA Nations League Finals participants to be drawn into groups of five teams.

- The Euro 2020 qualifiers start in March 2019. There will be two matchdays in each of March, June, September, October and November 2019.

- If a group winner has already qualified via the European qualifiers, then their spot will go to the next best-ranked team in their league.

- If a league does not have four teams to compete, the remaining slots are allocated to teams from another league, according to the overall Uefa Nations League ranking.

Each league will have a path of its own and each path will feature two single-leg semi-finals and one single-leg final. The winner of each path will win a place at Euro 2020.
Attachments
IMG_3090.JPG
IMG_3090.JPG (159.33 KiB) Viewed 3784 times
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

“ UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE - WALES IN LEAGUE B “

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: “ UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE - WALES IN LEAGUE B “

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am

Mmmm read it but anyone got simple answer to how Wales can qualify for next euros? :laughing6:
Does say each group as pathway to finals but Whats the path? :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby CardiffCityBlue » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:03 pm

The winner of each league (4 winners) qualify as to the euros

Everyone else must qualify through euro qualifiers , if you've qualified through euro qualifiers plus win your nations league the next best nations league gets the place in euros

That's how I understand it but the rules change depending on what site you read

However , Czech Republic , Sweden , Denmark , Ukraine , Slovakia some great trips for those who follow us away
CardiffCityBlue

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:09 pm

CardiffCityBlue wrote:The winner of each league (4 winners) qualify as to the euros

Everyone else must qualify through euro qualifiers , if you've qualified through euro qualifiers plus win your nations league the next best nations league gets the place in euros

However , Czech Republic , Sweden , Denmark , Ukraine , Slovakia some great trips for those who follow us away

Don't think we play ALL of those teams thou do we??

Its says the leagues will be split into groups of THREE teams
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:09 pm

CardiffCityBlue wrote:The winner of each league (4 winners) qualify as to the euros

So if we win our group we qualify for euro's ? Or is there more?
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:19 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

right looked again so whoever tops group B plays one of the other group B winners in a semi final then winner of that game plays winner of other semi final in a final winner of that qualifies! As for other permutations wait until it gets clearer, what I'm not sure about is group A as harder games than group B (probably) i assume its to give lesser ranked teams better opportunity to qualify?
pembroke allan

Postby gergisabluebird » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:26 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Do the results against the bottom team count to identify the runner up??
gergisabluebird

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:28 pm

gergisabluebird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Do the results against the bottom team count to identify the runner up??

No think ive sussed initial part take look at my post above
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:

Don't think we play ALL of those teams thou do we??

Its says the leagues will be split into groups of THREE teams

Hope not but think 1st part is top team in the 4 groups Eg group A play a semi final with another top team in group A then the two winners of semi final play a final the winner qualifies! Same for all groups. After that not sure :laughing6: idea of different groups is to give lower ranked teams a chance to qualify against similar teams.
pembroke allan

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:42 pm

Ukraine is probably the best trip ! unbelievable country
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Steve Zodiak » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:17 pm

I think this format is too easy to understand. Perhaps we should get a petition going asking UEFA to make it a bit more complicated.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Mr Shed » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:45 pm

League B is about right for us. The interesting thing here is England. They have to play two of the teams in League A home and away. I cant see anyone in their league that they will get a result against! That means relegation for them. I honestly think that this competition will see England slide right down the rankings before the euro qualifiers happen. No more easy groups for them.
:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

*Insert Name here* BARMY ARMY!!!!!
Mr Shed

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:I think this format is too easy to understand. Perhaps we should get a petition going asking UEFA to make it a bit more complicated.

You eventually work out 1st part of competition but after that it gets murky to say the least! Surely easier way of obtaining same result? :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby Wayne S » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:43 pm

What!!!!!!
Wayne S

Postby thomasblue » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:24 pm

I think its a great idea.
Look at the bottom league .
One of them will make a major tournament for the first time ever. What a difference that would make to the respective country.

It would also give us a chance to actually win a trophy rather than just make a tournament.

I would have to say wales should have nothing to fear in league B, especially with the youngsters coming through over two legs.

The placings are pretty clear already on who would be favourites to win each league in my opinion.

League A - Germany or France
League B - Wales or Sweden
League C - Serbia
League D - Georgia

Dropping down to league B has help wales out massively for the euros
thomasblue

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:41 pm

I have no idea how that works..can someone please explain it in a few sentences???
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby phildavies » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Really really don’t understand the point of changing the system to this for me it’s just stupid just keep it as a straight qualifier. Perhaps have the lowest ranked 20 teams have to play a pre group. So 5 groups of 4 winner of each qualifies for the main qualifying groups where you can then have 8 groups of 5 teams with the top 3 from each group qualifying for the euro finals.
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:15 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:I have no idea how that works..can someone please explain it in a few sentences???

Thought i understood 1st part but now not sure! Its the league bit thats really confusing needs to be on flow chart to make a bit sense of it. All i do know is we've possibly gained by being in group B, and lesser teams have better chance to qualify.
pembroke allan

Postby Steve Zodiak » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:19 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:I have no idea how that works..can someone please explain it in a few sentences???

Thought i understood 1st part but now not sure! Its the league bit thats really confusing needs to be on flow chart to make a bit sense of it. All i do know is we've possibly gained by being in group B, and lesser teams have better chance to qualify.

Easy really. EUFA have given us a big list of countries that play football, and a few of them will end up playing in the next Euros. Don't ask me to elaborate as I don't have a degree in how to make something simple into something Einstein would have trouble in understanding.
Steve Zodiak

Postby thomasblue » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:30 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Easy really. EUFA have given us a big list of countries that play football, and a few of them will end up playing in the next Euros. Don't ask me to elaborate as I don't have a degree in how to make something simple into something Einstein would have trouble in understanding.

You need to split each league down to 4 groups of 3.

It could be

League b
group 1
Wales ,ukraine ,austria

Group 2
Ireland ,sweden , russia

Group 3
Slovakia ,slovenia , n ireland

Group 4
Denmark , turkey , czech rep

Winner of group A plays winner of group B in a 2 leg semi final

Winner of group C plays winner of group D in two leg semi final

Winners of semi finals play in a finals match to determine who qualifies for the euro tournament proper.
thomasblue

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Well just looked at video from euafa! Now how the teams make it to euro finals but can only give shortened version as dont know how teams are decided
pembroke allan

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:20 pm

Still don't get it...seems as if everyone from Uefa got locked in a room with 100 bottles of wine and told to come up with a competition nobody can understand or wants...UEFA and FIFA officials really are complete waste of space (unless Wales qualify for and win the whole competition in which case all will be forgiven)
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Still don't get it...seems as if everyone from Uefa got locked in a room with 100 bottles of wine and told to come up with a competition nobody can understand or wants...UEFA and FIFA officials really a complete waste of space

Take look at my 2020 made easier gives a simple explanation :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Ger27 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:28 pm

No one qualifies before proper Qualifying starts. This is how it works for Wales:

Sept – November 2019: NATIONS LEAGUE GROUPS: Wales play 4 Group games. If they finish in the top two, they will be second seeds for the Euro Qualifying. If they finish third (last), they’ll be third seeds.

March – October 2019: EURO QUALIFICATION GROUPS: Normal Qualification Groups. 10 groups of 5/6 teams. Top 2 qualify automatically, so 20 TEAMS WILL QUALIFY IN OCTOBER 2019.

November 2019: NATIONS LEAGUE PLAY-OFFS: This is when we have to go back and look at the results of the Nations League Group stage. In each division, the 4 best performing team from the Nations League Group stage, who did not qualify by being one of the 20 above, will play a Semi-Final and a Final. As there’s 4 divisions, 4 TEAMS WILL QUALIFY IN NOVEMBER 2019.

That’s it then, until 2026:
Sept – November 2026: NATIONS LEAGUE GROUPS: If Wales finished top of their Group in November 2019, they’ll be in Division A. If they finished third (bottom), they’ll be in Division C.
Ger27

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:30 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Still don't get it...seems as if everyone from Uefa got locked in a room with 100 bottles of wine and told to come up with a competition nobody can understand or wants...UEFA and FIFA officials really a complete waste of space

Thanks for trying mate but still don't get it
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:32 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Thanks for trying mate but still don't get it

It tells you how they get 24 teams there, but cannot explain how its actually works! :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Ger27 wrote:No one qualifies before proper Qualifying starts. This is how it works for Wales:

Sept – November 2019: NATIONS LEAGUE GROUPS: Wales play 4 Group games. If they finish in the top two, they will be second seeds for the Euro Qualifying. If they finish third (last), they’ll be third seeds.

March – October 2019: EURO QUALIFICATION GROUPS: Normal Qualification Groups. 10 groups of 5/6 teams. Top 2 qualify automatically, so 20 TEAMS WILL QUALIFY IN OCTOBER 2019.

November 2019: NATIONS LEAGUE PLAY-OFFS: This is when we have to go back and look at the results of the Nations League Group stage. In each division, the 4 best performing team from the Nations League Group stage, who did not qualify by being one of the 20 above, will play a Semi-Final and a Final. As there’s 4 divisions, 4 TEAMS WILL QUALIFY IN NOVEMBER 2019.

That’s it then, until 2026:
Sept – November 2026: NATIONS LEAGUE GROUPS: If Wales finished top of their Group in November 2019, they’ll be in Division A. If they finished third (bottom), they’ll be in Division C.

Dont forget winners of their group gets promoted to next group and bottom team gets relegated. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Ger27 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:37 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Dont forget winners of their group gets promoted to next group and bottom team gets relegated. :thumbup:
[/quote]

I haven't - promotion and relegation happens in 2026. Irrelevant, until then.
Ger27

Postby thomasblue » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 pm

This format could also throw up some interesting situations during the final games of the league format.

If 2 teams in say (group C) have lost the other games and have no chance of winning the league to progress. Would that team lose on purpose to make sure they finish bottom to get relegated and have a easier league in the next tournament ? It says final positions determine standings for the next tournament.
What if two teams try the same thing ?
Why would you want to win a game when you know you are guaranteed a easier route in the next tournament if you lose ?
thomasblue

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:43 pm

Ger27 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Dont forget winners of their group gets promoted to next group and bottom team gets relegated. :thumbup:

I haven't - promotion and relegation happens in 2026. Irrelevant, until then.[/quote]

Said it was complicated! :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Next

Return to General Chat