Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

John Buchanan v George Best

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:15 pm

John Buchanan v George Best

Ninian Park, September 1978.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: John Buchanan v George Best

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:59 am

Forever Blue wrote:John Buchanan v George Best

Ninian Park, September 1978.

What a great picture.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Nasty looking studs up challenge there by Best - should have been a sending-off! (Not sure if red cards had come in back then?)

Buchanan probably never even felt it!

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:58 pm

Great times and that fabulous strip, Who was number 7 for Cardiff?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:03 pm

isnt this new years day 1977.
Robin Fridays debut.
and the number 7 Peter Sayer....??????

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:06 pm

dogfound wrote:isnt this new years day 1977.
Robin Fridays debut.

Your right, Best was only at Fulham for the 76/77 season. We won this game 3-0 I think and Friday scored two. Not sure if that's Sayer, he used to wear the number seven but I think he left us for Brighton during the season so not sure really, didn't he have longer hair than the bloke in the picture :lol:

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:53 pm

frazier wrote:
dogfound wrote:isnt this new years day 1977.
Robin Fridays debut.

Your right, Best was only at Fulham for the 76/77 season. We won this game 3-0 I think and Friday scored two. Not sure if that's Sayer, he used to wear the number seven but I think he left us for Brighton during the season so not sure really, didn't he have longer hair than the bloke in the picture :lol:

im not sure its sayer..Bish maybe ?
but Sayer was with us it was the..cup run year...where he scored the MOTD goal..

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Ah yes the goal against spurs, and as this photo was taken at the start of the year it must be him then, with a haircut lol.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:28 am

7 looks like Steve Grapes, George Best didn't play in Friday debut game.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:38 am

The Trooper wrote:7 looks like Steve Grapes, George Best didn't play in Friday debut game.
I am with you on this on both counts. I also was sure Best missed the new year game. New Year hangover! And if you look at the crowd it looks quite sparse in the enclosure and I remember there being a 20,000+ plus for that one. So if its later Sayer had gone and its probably Grapes.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:53 am

Did a bit of digging and apparently Best only played at Ninian park for Fulham once on September 24, 1977, when he was part of a Fulham side that lost 3-1. Still not sure about the number seven, Sayer left halfway through the season to join Brighton, does look like Steve Grapes now you mention it.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:33 am

Defo Best didnt play the 3-0 game - the only oyther it could be is Alan Campbell. Did'nt think Bish joined until 1978.