When plans for new cardiff stadium were anounced was there

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby blue lagoon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:23 pm

Any protests? Oviously its an emotional conection for many generations. Was just curious if people had their chance over again would they fight it. West Ham must surely be having 2nd thoughts.
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: When plans for new cardiff stadium were anounced was the

Postby dogfound » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:41 pm

i was more than gutted personally..but there seemed to be this overwhelming aknowledgement that for the club to progress we needed the new ground.
i wasnt sure then, and less so now.Ninian Park could 100% been developed..
was all about the retail park though.
dogfound

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:32 pm

[quote="dogfound"]i was more than gutted personally..but there seemed to be this overwhelming aknowledgement that for the club to progress we needed the new ground.
was all about the retail park

It had houses on two sides railway lines on one and main rd other side where could it be developed? Cost would have been far in excess of the 25m city had to pay for ccs + fact it would have needed to be buldozed completely and started again ! So be new stadium anyway?
pembroke allan

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:14 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:i was more than gutted personally..but there seemed to be this overwhelming aknowledgement that for the club to progress we needed the new ground.

It had houses on two sides railway lines on one and main rd other side where could it be developed? Cost would have been far in excess of the 25m city had to pay for ccs + fact it would have needed to be buldozed completely and started again ! So be new stadium anyway?

I agree it's hard to see how a redevelopment of NP would have worked. There was probably scope on the Bob Bank side but the other 3 sides as you say were boxed in. That said I'm not an Architect so there might have been some way of doing it.

Pretty sure CCS cost a lot more than £25m, nearer £40m or even £50m. The land for the retail park would still have needed to be sold to fund any redevelopment of NP and that would still have meant building a new Athletics stadium and the House of Sport.

Finally even if we did redevelop NP the moan would have been it had lost it's feel due to being an all seat stadium. Like you I believe the only real option was the one we took in building a brand new ground.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby piledriver64 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:34 pm

If you think about the old Bob Bank there was a railway track so any development on that side would have been severely restricted, particularly if you consider the access routes.

It was a sad move but simply unavoidable.
piledriver64

Postby WelshPatriot » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:12 pm

dogfound wrote:i was more than gutted personally..but there seemed to be this overwhelming aknowledgement that for the club to progress we needed the new ground.

No way could the old girl have been redeveloped it was closed in on all sides.
WelshPatriot

Postby dogfound » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:31 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I agree it's hard to see how a redevelopment of NP would have worked. There was probably scope on the Bob Bank side but the other 3 sides as you say were boxed in. That said I'm not an Architect so there might have been some way of doing it.

Pretty sure CCS cost a lot more than £25m, nearer £40m or even £50m. The land for the retail park would still have needed to be sold to fund any redevelopment of NP and that would still have meant building a new Athletics stadium and the House of Sport.

Finally even if we did redevelop NP the moan would have been it had lost it's feel due to being an all seat stadium. Like you I believe the only real option was the one we took in building a brand new ground.

i really dont know to what degree people would have moaned because during my time going there it had all already changed.
but the rear of the bob bank was quite a distance from the actual railway lines..and did have an exit hardly used which led on to St Donats road.and how difficult would it have been to run a footpath from the rear of the bob bank on the waste ground behing Leckwith close that came out on sloper rd just before the entrance to the station..?
then there is the grange end which when i started going was almost twice the size...as was the Canton {which could have been extended even further over the access walkway to the BB..although if a footpath to the station was there and the exit on to st donats rd also became an entrance with turnstyles there would be no need..the grand stand also had scope tp increase a little..or by putting a kink into sloper rd with traffic bending in and oout of what was the car park you could have it as big as you wanted..plus the corners....
if the criteria was to stay there it could have been done..other clubs have done it..was all about retail parks.
dogfound

Postby Sven » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:57 am

Supporters loved indian Park but generally accepted that it was well overdue for replacement and when Sam sold us the dream there was little resistance! ;)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby WelshPatriot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:43 am

dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

i really dont know to what degree people would have moaned because during my time going there it had all already changed.
but the rear of the bob bank was quite a distance from the actual railway lines..and did have an exit hardly used which led on to St Donats road.and how difficult would it have been to run a footpath from the rear of the bob bank on the waste ground behing Leckwith close that came out on sloper rd just before the entrance to the station..?
then there is the grange end which when i started going was almost twice the size...as was the Canton {which could have been extended even further over the access walkway to the BB..although if a footpath to the station was there and the exit on to st donats rd also became an entrance with turnstyles there would be no need..the grand stand also had scope tp increase a little..or by putting a kink into sloper rd with traffic bending in and oout of what was the car park you could have it as big as you wanted..plus the corners....
if the criteria was to stay there it could have been done..other clubs have done it..was all about retail parks.

Because building refs are complete different these days,ninian park would not have even had a 20k capacity once it was brought up-to speed.

Do you thiNk a planning app sending say 6000 people onto a residential street like St donats would be passed?

The land behind the Bob bank and leckwith close didn't belong to tHe club and were privately owned so would have to be bought whereas we were gifted the land on the new site.

The bobbank had concrete cancer the whole stand needed demolishing I'd at a guess say some of the other older walls dotted around the ground were probably the same and needed demolishing.

Toilet facilities were completely inadequate more new toilet blocks would have to go one new planning app to match maximum capacity numbers so again more space pinched to meet modern buildings refs.

It just simply couldn't and didn't make sense.
WelshPatriot

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:10 am

WelshPatriot wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Because building refs are complete different these days,ninian park would not have even had a 20k capacity once it was brought up-to speed.

Do you thiNk a planning app sending say 6000 people onto a residential street like St donats would be passed?

The land behind the Bob bank and leckwith close didn't belong to tHe club and were privately owned so would have to be bought whereas we were gifted the land on the new site.

The bobbank had concrete cancer the whole stand needed demolishing I'd at a guess say some of the other older walls dotted around the ground were probably the same and needed demolishing.

Toilet facilities were completely inadequate more new toilet blocks would have to go one new planning app to match maximum capacity numbers so again more space pinched to meet modern buildings refs.

The over riding problem was not one of the stands was able to be converted all would needed to be demolished so new ground would exist anyway! So the ninian experience would have ended at same time!
Did club have the 30/40m to do this at time of winding up orders ect?
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:13 am

pembroke allan wrote:

Actual cost of ccs was just over 50m city only paid 25m of that with the way it was funded .
pembroke allan

Postby northernbluebird » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:21 pm

the move was all about the finances, apparently. i suppose we'd have to see some figures to assess the move to the CCS. either way, the stadium at 33,000 is too big for us now. i doubt we will ever need the new stand for cardiff matches.
northernbluebird

Postby dogfound » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:27 pm

we have a new bowl now, and as new bowls ago its a pretty good one...but is characterless..at least thats how i feel,maybe our younger fans feel for the CCS what i felt for NP {i hope so } but i dont..
my view remains though we could have stayed where we were..other clubs have managed to renovate on the same footprint and infact their fans gone into meltdown at the smallest mention of moving
. building regs had to be adhered to at those and our new stadium.
and it did not have to be done all in one go either.
there are ways around most things, i dont think renovation was even considered because once the dollar signs started rolling there was only one option properly on the cards.#..at the time i accepted the move..but looking back it had far more to do with a small number of people making wonga than it had to do with us having a new stadium..
dogfound

Postby llangainbluebird » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:38 pm

At least we're literally just over the road. Personally, I think we needed a new ground, and am pleased with it. Ninian Park was great, I saw my first game there in 1970. Plenty of memories. Eight years already!
llangainbluebird

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:02 pm

dogfound wrote:we have a new bowl now, and as new bowls ago its a pretty good one...but is characterless..at least thats how i feel,maybe our younger fans feel for the CCS what i felt for NP {i hope so } but i dont..
my view remains though we could have stayed where we were..other clubs have managed to renovate on the same footprint and infact their fans gone into meltdown at the smallest mention of moving
there are ways around most things, i dont think renovation was even considered because once the dollar signs started rolling there was only one option properly on the cards.#..at the time i accepted the move..but looking back it had far more to do with a small number of people making wonga than it had to do with us having a new stadium..

People complain about atmosphere at ccs but that is because ninian was 75% standing so no comparison to all seating ccs And that is common of today's stadiums! As for ccs it is far better than a lot of new grounds in many aspects . Ffs we've got 155 tvs in stadium :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby dogfound » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:23 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:we have a new bowl now, and as new bowls ago its a pretty good one...but is characterless..at least thats how i feel,maybe our younger fans feel for the CCS what i felt for NP {i hope so } but i dont..

People complain about atmosphere at ccs but that is because ninian was 75% standing so no comparison to all seating ccs And that is common of today's stadiums! As for ccs it is far better than a lot of new grounds in many aspects . Ffs we've got 155 tvs in stadium :laughing6:

i havent mentioned atmosphere..i watched 10 games there with zero atmosphere for every 1 i watched where the place was bouncing....or have i suggested the new ground is crap.
its just i dont feel the same towards it..which im entitled too.
i answered the question honestly....my view...was all about money from the retail park and nothing to do with fans,tradition history...or cost {which had we stayed would / could be spread...
as for 155 TVs in the ground..jeez..how on earth did we manage when it was only a 154...?
in fact i was telling my mate only last week..aint coming here ever again {ashton gate } no TVs on concorse.
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:30 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

all the above..IS WHAT RENOVATION IS...bloody hell do you think other clubs have done builds on old walls and foundations..
and yes bits of land would have to have been bought :o :o :o .
dogfound

Postby murphy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:32 pm

I loved Ninian Park, miss the place but realise we had to move.

As for West Ham as mentioned in the OP. Their previous ground Upton Park held around 35k, had plenty of character and the atmosphere for their final game V Man Utd sounded brilliant. So did they really need to move?

Hammers fans must be kicking themselves now that their didn't try and stop it.
murphy

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:48 pm

dogfound wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

all the above..IS WHAT RENOVATION IS...bloody hell do you think other clubs have done builds on old walls and foundations..

Question for you then? How could the grandstand be built without having to move sloper rd bearing in mind stand was roughly 50ft before you are on sloper rd? And wasn't just bits of land it was numerous houses and of course how was the cost going to be funded with our financial state at time? Finally by time you rebuilt ground it would be New stadium so only difference between A new ninian & ccs would be ccs is 100yds away! Yes grounds do get renovated and extended but bet not with the difficulties ninian presented.
pembroke allan

Postby dogfound » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:49 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Question for you then? How could the grandstand be built without having to move sloper rd bearing in mind stand was roughly 50ft before you are on sloper rd? And wasn't just bits of land it was numerous houses and of course how was the cost going to be funded with our financial state at time? Finally by time you rebuilt ground it would be New stadium so only difference between A new ninian & ccs would be ccs is 100yds away! Yes grounds do get renovated and extended but bet not with the difficulties ninian presented.

mate i explained it..and didnt mention knocking houses down...allthough other clubs have...
and no...oooooooooooooooooo,we are Cardiff we have bigger problems doing anything here than anywhere else in the history of the world..
no..everyone else has problems...that get solved.
oh you cant have pple walking through a street in cardiff..yet other clubs have...plus the bob bank rear gates were always opened at end of game ..i used them
the concrete had cancer.......yes my windows are rotten too im replacing them not glueing bits on..
the only really stand up reason for moving anyone has given is money
which is what i said.
all about a bunch of people wanting to get richer ........
dogfound

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:06 pm

dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

mate i explained it..and didnt mention knocking houses down...allthough other clubs have...
and no...oooooooooooooooooo,we are Cardiff we have bigger problems doing anything here than anywhere else in the history of the world..
no..everyone else has problems...that get solved.
oh you cant have pple walking through a street in cardiff..yet other clubs have...plus the bob bank rear gates were always opened at end of game ..i used them
the concrete had cancer.......yes my windows are rotten too im replacing them not glueing bits on..
the only really stand up reason for moving anyone has given is money
which is what i said.
all about a bunch of people wanting to get richer ........

Ok take point about other clubs! but what is point of knocking down 4 stands over 4 yrs (1 a season) demolishing 20 odd houses and moving a main rd to have precisely what we have now an all seater stadium Which is only 100yds away? Not forgetting it would have cost substantially more than the £25m we've paid for ccs.
pembroke allan

Postby RICK+CCFC » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:41 am

blue lagoon wrote:Any protests? Oviously its an emotional conection for many generations. Was just curious if people had their chance over again would they fight it. West Ham must surely be having 2nd thoughts.

No,,,there was no protest, or anything like it. The New Stadium was Sam Hammans Vision, and concept,, as soon as he took control of Cardiff City FC back in 2000/01 (or there abouts).

It was Sams vision that if CCFC was to compete, and succeed in the highest of leagues then we had to have a modern stadium that could not only sustain a future, and much larger fan base, but could also accommodate other functions, and offer alternative and the potential for other future financial opportunity's.

The original (SAMs) plans for the CCS were a lot more ambitious than the actual final build,,, scaled back due to cost issues.

There are many posters on here who know the in and out of all this (the inner circle),,,, all I know,,,from what I remember, is Sam sold us a dream, And it was a dream we ALL wanted.
RICK+CCFC

Postby JJ1927 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:56 am

When the new stadium was first mooted there were 3 alternatives. The Bay, Leckwith and god help us out St. Mellons way close to the motorway. Rather than be a protest I think that when the decision was made to go across the road, many -including me - felt relief that we were effectively staying put. Whilst I miss Ninian Park, I still walk up Sloper Road from Grangetown station but turn left toward the top rather than right. So we all still have that connection with the earlier years of supporting the club. The atmosphere is not great but without standing I am not sure it would be any different at a redeveloped all seater Ninian.

As an aside can you imagine what it would have been like watching us play in red at an all seater stadium somewhere off the motorway between St.Mellons and Newport. I reckon our gates would have been down to under 4,000 under Slade.
JJ1927

Postby Alan_in_China » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:49 am

WelshPatriot wrote:

What's with this "Old Girl" nonsense? No one EVER used to call Ninian Park by that name. :roll:
Alan_in_China

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Alan_in_China wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

What's with this "Old Girl" nonsense? No one EVER used to call Ninian Park by that name. :roll:

Apparently they did :laughing6:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Return to General Chat