CARDIFF CITY'S WORST SIGNING IN THE LAST 5 YEARS?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:22 am

WHAT EVEN WAS THIS DEAL?’, ‘A HUGE MISTAKE’ – CARDIFF CITY’S BIGGEST TRANSFER REGRET IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS?
By: Alfie Burns

Tuesday 14th November 2017

The last five years have certainly been turbulent for Cardiff City, with the Bluebirds earning promotion to the Premier League, before dropping back into the Sky Bet Championship after failing to establish themselves in the top-flight.

Neil Warnock is now mounting a serious promotion push with Cardiff’s current crop of players, after a spell that has seen the club struggle to make a major impact in the Championship.

As with most, Cardiff have witnessed a huge overhaul of players in recent years, with a number of professionals coming and going.

With that in mind, our writers look at what Cardiff’s biggest transfer regret of the last five years might be…

Adam Simeoni

Andreas Cornelius.

What even was this deal? The Dane cost a fortune, was unproven, and just didn’t have the credentials to justify his price tag.

He didn’t last long, and was shipped back to Copenhagen for a fraction of the fee Cardiff paid for him.

Sam Rourke

Andreas Cornelius.

Honestly, what an awful signing this was!

The big Danish striker signed for around £8 million from FC Copenhagen back in 2013, and he was a massive flop at the Cardiff City Stadium.

The forward made just eight appearances for the Bluebirds in their Premier League season, and was a huge mistake.

Chris Gallagher

It has to be Andreas Cornelius.

The Danish striker clearly has ability but it didn’t work out for the Welsh club.

He was a major signing for the club, commanding a huge fee and significant wages and in all honesty it was a huge waste of money.

A massive regret, as Vincent Tan has basically acknowledged recently.

George Dagless

Magnus Wolff Eikrem.

A decent player with time spent at Manchester United in his younger years, this signing didn’t work out for Cardiff.

The Bluebirds took a number of gambles on transfers in the 2013/14 campaign and this one, like many, did not pay off.

Do Cardiff City supporters agree? Or do they have other ideas on Cardiff City's worst signing in the last 5 years?
Attachments
B.jpg
B.jpg (36.03 KiB) Viewed 4723 times
A.jpg
A.jpg (48.52 KiB) Viewed 4723 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: CITY'S WORST SIGNING IN THE LAST 5 YEARS?

Postby Trimmer44 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:26 am

Ole? Trollope?
Trimmer44

Re: CITY'S WORST SIGNING IN THE LAST 5 YEARS?

Postby Bluebina » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:12 am

Trimmer44 wrote:Ole? Trollope?

Agree both terrible, but Ole spent a fortune on shit, and almost put us out of business.

Since then good work from Tan, Slade and especially Warnock has brought us back on track !!!
Bluebina

Re: CARDIFF CITY'S WORST SIGNING IN THE LAST 5 YEARS?

Postby dogfound » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:39 am

Russell Slade by light years ..thousands and thousands with ST tickets not turning up for games they had tickets for and not then renewing.even with the reversal of the rebrand..he cost the club far more than Acorn because our ST sales are yet to recover...exactly the same is now happening at Grimsby on a smaller scale...
dogfound

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:36 am

Adam Le fondre ?
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:53 am

dogfound wrote:Russell Slade by light years ..thousands and thousands with ST tickets not turning up for games they had tickets for and not then renewing.even with the reversal of the rebrand..he cost the club far more than Acorn because our ST sales are yet to recover...exactly the same is now happening at Grimsby on a smaller scale...

what complete drivel :lol:
paulh_85

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:37 am

paulh_85 wrote:
dogfound wrote:Russell Slade by light years ..thousands and thousands with ST tickets not turning up for games they had tickets for and not then renewing.even with the reversal of the rebrand..he cost the club far more than Acorn because our ST sales are yet to recover...exactly the same is now happening at Grimsby on a smaller scale...

I was thinking that.

Slade didn't do a bad job with what he had :banghead:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:39 am

Pretty much every OGS signing was complete garbage, with most of them being paid off just to leave the club!!!
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby dogfound » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:14 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

I was thinking that.

Slade didn't do a bad job with what he had :banghead:

it certainly was not a bad job..a bad job people would have kept turning up and renewing..it was far worse than bad.
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:15 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

you might not like it but its
true though
Last edited by dogfound on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogfound

Postby wez1927 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:15 pm

Acorn worse signing ever milky should be shot :lol:
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby barry boy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:18 pm

What about the painter and decorator guy - Tan's nephew ?

Didn't score once, rubbish at hanging paper, and couldn't trap a tin of turps.
barry boy

Postby petesmeat » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:20 pm

We wouldn't have needed Slade to clear the decks and balance the books if OGS hadn't pissed £20m up the wall.
petesmeat

Postby dogfound » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:29 pm

petesmeat wrote:

We wouldn't have needed Slade to clear the decks and balance the books if OGS hadn't pissed £20m up the wall.

if that is what he was here for he did a very poor job of it...a third of our squad were not looked at or given a chance {the foreign non chip butty eating third }..none of those players left to play in the conference or lge 2. and were nowhere near as poor as people like to make out..but did cost the club an absolute fortune in paying up contracts..
as for the 20mill..never read that figure before..probably because its not in any way accurate..

we NEEDED a Warnock to get the best out of what was here..
not Slade who just made it a lot worse.
dogfound

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 pm

dogfound wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

true though

its not true tho :lol: :lol:

season tickets sales arent exactly terrible and attributing the fall to slade is actually false
paulh_85

Postby Sven » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:01 pm

dogfound wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

true though

It's certainly not true...it's just your opinion (which you're entitled to) and is open very much to debate; particularly as the OP referred (in spirit at least) to players rather than management! :roll:

However, my own opinion is that OGS (far more than the hapless Trollope) was our worst 'signing' in the last 5 years, as he did nothing but take us spiralling downwards despite the money he had to spend. Everyone after that was picking up the pieces whilst the club stabilised ;)

Player-wise, I believe Madam Le Fondre was our poorest on-field signing; far more than even the much-maligned Andreas Cornelius who never really got a chance to establish himself during a season when we couldn't afford to 'blood' unproven players :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:01 pm

How can anyone say anything other than Cornelius is beyond me, forget the last 5 years im struggling to think of a worse signing in the clubs history. The fact he cost a reported 7/8m and on wages of 45k a week was bad enough but what makes him the worse signing is we were crying out for a goalscorer, someone to put the ball in the back of the net and we ended up with a highly expensive project. We had just been promoted and investing in young projects like we are Chelsea :lol:
2blue2handle

Postby dogfound » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

true though

It's certainly not true...it's just your opinion (which you're entitled to) and is open very much to debate; particularly as the OP referred (in spirit at least) to players rather than management! :roll:

However, my own opinion is that OGS (far more than the hapless Trollope) was our worst 'signing' in the last 5 years, as he did nothing but take us spiralling downwards despite the money he had to spend. Everyone after that was picking up the pieces whilst the club stabilised ;)

Player-wise, I believe Madam Le Fondre was our poorest on-field signing; far more than even the much-maligned Andreas Cornelius who never really got a chance to establish himself during a season when we couldn't afford to 'blood' unproven players :(

not true?
you cant have been there looking at those empty stands then because it 100% happened.
and our season ticket numbers fell through the floor too...or is that untrue also?
dogfound

Postby DandoCCFC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:18 pm

Love how people are coming at Ole on this one yet our best centre backs who are still here were signed by Ole.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby dogfound » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:22 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Love how people are coming at Ole on this one yet our best centre backs who are still here were signed by Ole.

correct
dogfound

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:09 pm

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

true though

not true?
you cant have been there looking at those empty stands then because it 100% happened.
and our season ticket numbers fell through the floor too...or is that untrue also?

so season tickets sales had nothng to do with the shit football or the relegation from the premier league it was 100% slades fault? :lol:
paulh_85

Postby dogfound » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:18 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

true though

not true?

so season tickets sales had nothng to do with the shit football or the relegation from the premier league it was 100% slades fault? :lol:

our crowds fell apart second half of the season.. i missed a few myself as did most people i know, and lots did not renew on the back of ...yes...what you call the shit football...my opinion is it was worse than shit but am happy to go along with you on it..
dogfound

Postby murphy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:20 pm

OGS is the worst manager I've ever seen down here. Complete and utter donkey management skills.
murphy

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 pm

murphy wrote:OGS is the worst manager I've ever seen down here. Complete and utter donkey management skills.

yup :occasion5:
paulh_85

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:47 pm

dogfound wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Love how people are coming at Ole on this one yet our best centre backs who are still here were signed by Ole.

correct

Yes, he did make 1 or 2 decent signings however he was probably the Worst Manager in the clubs history...we fell apart when he was appointed..we were relegated with a whimper..losing heavily on several occasions to teams around us in the relegation zone, he created a team with no fight, no bottle and no game plan whatsoever

Was then given a massive budget to get us out of the championship and wasted it on( 1 or 2 players apart), probably some of the worst and vastly overpaid garbage players in the clubs history

Complete and utter disaster of a manager, and the record books prove it!!!
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby dogfound » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:36 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
dogfound wrote:

correct

Yes, he did make 1 or 2 decent signings however he was probably the Worst Manager in the clubs history...we fell apart when he was appointed..we were relegated with a whimper..losing heavily on several occasions to teams around us in the relegation zone, he created a team with no fight, no bottle and no game plan whatsoever

Was then given a massive budget to get us out of the championship and wasted it on( 1 or 2 players apart), probably some of the worst and vastly overpaid garbage players in the clubs history

tbh i dont think he was the correct manager to bring in.
having said that he takes a lot of blame for things that were not all his fault..
fell apart..?..Malky tried playing in the prem as we had done in the championship.and bar a couple of early results we were piss poor..Norwich away sticks in my mind..the most 1 sided 0-0 ive seen in over a thousand games..spurs home was like attack v defence.. and then we started to suck goals...we might have scaraped up with pullis or maybe even malky but it would have been a thin margin.
the 2nd year..he had to sell arguably his best 4 players { certainly the 4 worth the most and biggest earners } for 26 million .
and after just 7 games {hardly enough time to adjust } he had gone having lost to 3 good teams that would all end up with 78 points or more..
7 games..? Aston Villa had less points after 7 games this season....and Bournemouth who ended up champions had the same points as ourselves when he went...
dogfound

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:00 pm

dogfound wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
dogfound wrote:

correct

having said that he takes a lot of blame for things that were not all his fault..
fell apart..?..Malky tried playing in the prem as we had done in the championship.and bar a couple of early results we were piss poor..Norwich away sticks in my mind..the most 1 sided 0-0 ive seen in over a thousand games..spurs home was like attack v defence.. and then we started to suck goals...we might have scaraped up with pullis or maybe even malky but it would have been a thin margin.
the 2nd year..he had to sell arguably his best 4 players { certainly the 4 worth the most and biggest earners } for 26 million .
and after just 7 games {hardly enough time to adjust } he had gone having lost to 3 good teams that would all end up with 78 points or more..
7 games..? Aston Villa had less points after 7 games this season....and Bournemouth who ended up champions had the same points as ourselves when he went...

Fair comment, at the time he was appointed the club was a shambles off the field which obviously didn't help him

However, yes I do think we fell apart after he was appointed Swansea 3 City 0, City 0 Hull 4, City 3 Liverpool 6, City 0 Palace 3,
Sunderland 4 City 0, Newcastle 3 City 0 and a few others were complete hammering against some very, very average teams
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby dogfound » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:22 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
dogfound wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
dogfound wrote:

correct

Fair comment, at the time he was appointed the club was a shambles off the field which obviously didn't help him

However, yes I do think we fell apart after he was appointed Swansea 3 City 0, City 0 Hull 4, City 3 Liverpool 6, City 0 Palace 3,
Sunderland 4 City 0, Newcastle 3 City 0 and a few others were complete hammering against some very, very average teams

im not head of the OGS fan club..but the flaws were all there before he arrived.the squad didnt have enough quality going up and still not enough quality after the summer window ..i watched all bar 2 games that season and we were the better team maybe in 3..had a few results { wins,draws and loses } that could have gone either way but we were generally out of our depth start to finish..
how bad we were can be gauged by where those players careers went...apart from the 4 we sold imediately after relegation from prem ,only marshall has gone on to play a premier league game...
dogfound

Postby Sven » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 pm

dogfound wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

true though

not true?

our crowds fell apart second half of the season.. i missed a few myself as did most people i know, and lots did not renew on the back of ...yes...what you call the shit football...my opinion is it was worse than shit but am happy to go along with you on it..

Quote (dogfound): "my opinion is it was worse than shit but am happy to go along with you on it.." ;)

And therein lies my original point; not necessarily true...just your opinion (as it is with any of us) :thumbright: :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby GrangeEndStar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:30 pm

For me it was that young lad who was appointed head of recruitment and just ended up just painting the stadium. Although it must be said he did a very nice job on the shitters.
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Next

Return to General Chat