Statement from Cardiff City Supporters' Trust.

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby the other Bob Wilson » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:03 pm

The following has just been sent out to Trust members.

"Cardiff City Supporters' Trust Statement on Cardiff City FC

As many supporters are aware, the Trust has regular meetings with the directors and senior management of Cardiff City Football Club to discuss major issues which impact on fans, both on and off the field. These issues have included FFP (Financial Fair Play or Profitability and Sustainability as it is now called) and the conversion of the club`s debt due to Tan Sri Vincent Tan into shares with the aim of making the club debt free. Following recent meetings on these issues, the Trust is issuing the following updates.

FFP/P&S

This is a topic which has recently received extensive media coverage because of the case of QPR who face a potential fine of in excess of £50m for breaching the rules which were in place during their promotion season to the Premier League in 2013-14. There was a formula in place, known to QPR as well as all other Championship clubs, limiting allowed financial losses in that season. QPR exceeded the allowed level of losses to an extremely large extent, but the calculated fine could not be levied by the League until their subsequent relegation back to the Championship. QPR appealed against the level of fine, but were recently unsuccessful in their appeal and now face a level of fine which will have a major impact on their finances.

Some fans may argue that such a high financial penalty is harsh. However, the counterargument is that, unless blatant breaches are subject to severe sanctions, there is no incentive for other clubs to adhere to the rules either.

In the case of our own club, Cardiff City has continued to work extremely hard to ensure that the club is compliant and so not face the very real risk of such fines and other sanctions. This is not an easy task if it is noted that in season 2015-16 (the most recent publicly filed accounts) CCFC had the third highest wages bill of all clubs in the Championship (behind only QPR and Fulham). As fans, we would all like to see major new signings and the best players attracted to the club but this is only really feasible if increased revenue streams and favourable financial conditions are in place and the club`s management should therefore be congratulated in the work they have carried out to date in significantly reducing the wage bill whilst still retaining a playing squad proving itself to be more than competitive in the Championship.

We know that CCFC was compliant with the FFP/P&S rules as at March 2017 because as at that date the club had to submit three year financial information to the League to be vetted for compliance. This information comprised audited accounts for two years (2014-15 and 2015-16) plus projected results for 2016-17. In March 2018, the club will have to submit the 2016-17 audited figures plus an estimate for 2017-18. The Trust is not privy to the 2016-17 figures but our discussions with the club lead us to believe that there is every chance that the work done to further reduce costs will also result in an ongoing compliance position.

A word of caution, which is meant to be realistic, not pessimistic. Fans should remember that there will be no parachute payments available to the club after July 2018.This will result in a reduction of income for somewhere between £10m and £15m for next season and this loss of income has to be compensated for by other means – either additional income from other sources or by further cost reductions. Fans can help in this regard of course by making efforts to turn up for home games in greater numbers!

Conversion of debt to equity

The current position is that periodic conversions of debt into shares have continued since the commitment to do so was made in early 2016. Since the latest published accounts date of 31 May 2016 another £20.7m of debt has been converted into shares, the most recent conversion being in June 2017.

The Trust`s understanding is that Tan Sri Vincent Tan is committed to make the club debt free by further debt to equity conversions in the near future, subject to compliance with the regulations controlling such transactions.

Summary

The club continues to make strenuous efforts to make sure that it is not at risk of the type of problems facing QPR and perhaps other clubs currently in the Championship when they submit their results to the E.F.L in March 2018.

As fans, we need to be patient and understanding (as hard as that is as fans) when the club no longer spends fortunes on players transfer fees and wages. We need to get behind the team in as great a number as possible to help them on the road to footballing success and also assist on the financial front at the same time.

Keith Morgan, Chair"
the other Bob Wilson

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Statement from Cardiff City Supporters' Trust.

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Cheers for the Statement :thumbright:

This Stood out for me, as we know No more Sky Parachute Payments.

A word of caution, which is meant to be realistic, not pessimistic.

Fans should remember that there will be no parachute payments available to the club after July 2018.This will result in a reduction of income for somewhere between £10m and £15m for next season and this loss of income has to be compensated for by other means – either additional income from other sources or by further cost reductions. Fans can help in this regard of course by making efforts to turn up for home games in greater numbers!

And in 2015-16 season

CCFC had the third highest wages bill of all clubs in the Championship (behind only QPR and Fulham). Madness :shock:

The Trust`s understanding is that Tan Sri Vincent Tan is committed to make the club debt free by further debt to equity conversions in the near future.

Our club certainly never learnt and the spending in the last 7 years was horrendous, so many costly mistakes by the people at the top.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby grange_end1927 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:16 pm

Good to hear the debt conversion is continuing.

Sade can take a bow for some of this :clap:
grange_end1927

Postby dogfound » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:35 pm

grange_end1927 wrote:Good to hear the debt conversion is continuing.

id give the credit to Tan myself....but eh oh that might be a bridge too far for some
dogfound

Postby grange_end1927 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:54 pm

dogfound wrote:

id give the credit to Tan myself....but eh oh that might be a bridge too far for some

Mate, who made the mistakes in the first place???
grange_end1927

Postby griff105 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:45 pm

A very interesting read thank you :ayatollah:
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor
griff105

Postby maccydee » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:23 pm

grange_end1927 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

How long you got?
maccydee

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:46 pm

grange_end1927 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Yes but there was millions of ££££ debt before that which tans paying off? and the mistakes also includes premiership and the cost that incured! :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby rhondda 1015 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Interesting post, but I didn't even know we had a Trust anymore! Sadly, that is how insignificant they are.
VALLEY LEAFLETS, TONYPANDY,RCT--A RELIABLE DISTRIBUTION SERVICE FOR YOUR LEAFLETS/BUSINESS CARDS/BROCHURES ETC...

SECOND TIME AROUND
RECORD SHOP
TONYPANDY
RCT
CF40 1QD
rhondda 1015

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:08 pm

Forever Blue wrote:CCFC had the third highest wages bill of all clubs in the Championship (behind only QPR and Fulham). Madness :shock:

This shows what a fantastic job Russell Slade did for us, the mess he had to sort out from Ole's disastrous reign was horrendous.

I don't care what anyone says, Russell Slade slashing our wage bill whilst keeping us competitive challenging for the playoffs with only 2 defeats at home that season, was one of the most important managerial performances in our clubs history.

Also, the amount of stick Russell Slade received from the fans was nothing short of embarrassing.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby maccydee » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:36 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:CCFC had the third highest wages bill of all clubs in the Championship (behind only QPR and Fulham). Madness :shock:

This shows what a fantastic job Russell Slade did for us, the mess he had to sort out from Ole's disastrous reign was horrendous.

I don't care what anyone says, Russell Slade slashing our wage bill whilst keeping us competitive challenging for the playoffs with only 2 defeats at home that season, was one of the most important managerial performances in our clubs history.

Also, the amount of stick Russell Slade received from the fans was nothing short of embarrassing.

Well said.
maccydee

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:14 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

Ross, I agree with this :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

But Slade did inherit a squad that even I could of done well with :lol:

But Slade did help Tan big time reduce the debt that had been created by Tan/Ole. :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:13 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

But Slade did help Tan big time reduce the debt that had been created by Tan/Ole. :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
And MM
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:58 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

And MM

Tony, but Malky brought in £160million,way far more than he cost us :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

We have still been getting Malky's Sky parachute payments :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby SwampCCFC » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:22 pm

hmmm - not sure what to make of this.

the club deserve some credit for bringing the club on an even keel financially, but the problem is entirely of their own making. we have a serious problem with incompetence at senior management level, and warnock sorting the football side out has papered over the cracks.

as the article states, we'll not have parachute payments from next season so we may have to hope zohore has a good season and sell him. an extra 3-4k fans buying a season ticket will bring in potentially £1.5m but doesnt go near far enough.

its good to see tan belatedly making steps to clear the debt that he mostly loaded on the club, though.
SwampCCFC

Postby Marto » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:32 pm

Of course, there is the possibility of promotion :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
Marto

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:20 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:hmmm - not sure what to make of this.

the club deserve some credit for bringing the club on an even keel financially, but the problem is entirely of their own making. we have a serious problem with incompetence at senior management level, and warnock sorting the football side out has papered over the cracks.

as the article states, we'll not have parachute payments from next season so we may have to hope zohore has a good season and sell him. an extra 3-4k fans buying a season ticket will bring in potentially £1.5m but doesnt go near far enough.

its good to see tan belatedly making steps to clear the debt that he mostly loaded on the club, though.

Some sense,some can't see it :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby SwampCCFC » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:26 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
SwampCCFC wrote:hmmm - not sure what to make of this.

Some sense,some can't see it :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

it's vital that if tan doesnt sell up, that we get people with football knowledge and experience on the board - warnock will be gone eventually, and we will be left with Tan, his malaysian cronies, and dalman running things.

this will be an unpopular opinion, as most are happy to be temporarily distracted by the good performance under warnock - but unless there are fundamental changes at board level, we will lurch from one 'long term strategy' to another, wasting tens of millions along the way.
SwampCCFC

Return to General Chat