' Aron Gunnarsson '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Aron Gunnarsson '

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:43 pm

' Aron Gunnarsson '

By Ian Mitchelmore

What's his situation?

The Icelandic warrior's contract with the Bluebirds expires at the end of the season, and Neil Warnock previously revealed that the 27-year-old turned down a new deal having admitted he doesn't want to play in the Championship next season.

It could mean the Iceman may be persuaded to extend his stay in the Welsh capital if Warnock can guide the Bluebirds into the promised land of the Premier League.

But having already turned down a fresh deal, Gunnarsson seems destined for the exit door in the summer if Cardiff don't go up.

What's likely to happen in January?

It's a difficult one for the midfield ace as he remains sidelined with an ankle injury and does not look like returning to the pitch until February.

He has not played a single minute of action for the Bluebirds since playing 74 minutes in the 1-0 win over Barnsley at Oakwell in November, but that has not stopped clubs being linked with the Euro 2016 star.

It has previously been reported that Turkish giants Besiktas were eyeing up a move for Gunnarsson, but while this month looks like being the final opportunity for the Bluebirds to cash in on the midfielder should they want to do so, the Bluebirds will no doubt want to keep the Iceland international to aid their chances of securing promotion and then reassess the situation in the summer.
Attachments
JS136762546.jpg
JS136762546.jpg (58.76 KiB) Viewed 4405 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

' Aron Gunnarsson '

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Aron Gunnarsson '

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:37 pm

Sadly we have waited to long to get rid of him and now we will get nothing.
2blue2handle

Postby TAP_Sheep » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:15 am

2blue2handle wrote:Sadly we have waited to long to get rid of him and now we will get nothing.

We'll see, he's said himself he'll stay if we get promoted. We picked him up on a free and he helped us get promoted and reach a cup final - so he's helped bring a huge financial windfall for us as it is. I'd love a fee but it is what it is :bluescarf:
TAP_Sheep

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:42 am

TAP_Sheep wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Sadly we have waited to long to get rid of him and now we will get nothing.

We'll see, he's said himself he'll stay if we get promoted. We picked him up on a free and he helped us get promoted and reach a cup final - so he's helped bring a huge financial windfall for us as it is. I'd love a fee but it is what it is :bluescarf:

IF and its a big IF we get promoted will he be good enough for the PL? :bluebird:
1980s Bluebird

Postby TAP_Sheep » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:30 am

1980s Bluebird wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

IF and its a big IF we get promoted will he be good enough for the PL? :bluebird:

It's an interesting one. I think so, he made the step up for the Euros which IMO improved him massively and he's in his peak years. I honestly was never entirely impressed by him prior to 2016 - but he's improved a lot and added a lot to his game, so why not? :occasion5:
TAP_Sheep

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:11 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:

Wouldn't offer him a deal if we got promoted, not good enough.
2blue2handle

Postby paulh_85 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:13 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

i would. we need a squad not just 11 players and he can do a job im sure
paulh_85

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:14 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

Not for me. He wants to go, let him.
2blue2handle

Postby Juventus Blue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:17 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

Not for me. He wants to go, let him.

We should not be held to ransom by any player, as you say, if he wants to go then let him. If he wants to be a Cardiff City player then sign the contract whether we are in the championship or the Premier league. He is easily replaceable anyway.
CARDIFF CITY ARE BACK IN BLUE!
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE, WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUUUUEE!
CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPIONS 2012/13
CHAMPIONSHIP RUNNERS UP 2017/18
Juventus Blue

Postby llan bluebird » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:21 pm

Only Gunnar knows his body and bank balance. He is an old 27 year old with many miles on the clock. For the best part of a decade he is been plying his trade at championship level which we know is demanding coupled with living in a foreign country and playing international football.
The fact he doesn't want to commit to another three seasons at our level suggests to me he has peaked. He will never be a premier league DM, he is a distributor and if the legs and energy are waning its time to let him go. He cost us nothing has given all he can give and has been rewarded more than adequately.
Its a shame for him we never had Warnock three and a half seasons earlier as his brand of football suits his skill set, but that's life.
We were never going to get that much for him, so with only a few months left on his contract he'll be better use for the last quarter of the season push, hopefully towards the playoffs.
llan bluebird

Postby piledriver64 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

Not for me, even if he was still under contract. He simply didn't have the pace to cope in the Prem last time and 3/4 seasons ago so why do people think he can cope now ? He's had a load of injuries since and certainly isn't any quicker now than he was then.

He's been really good value for us and no doubting his commitment so far but I think it's time to go. It will be his choice if we don't get promoted but ours if we do.
piledriver64

Postby paulh_85 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:42 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

Not for me, even if he was still under contract. He simply didn't have the pace to cope in the Prem last time and 3/4 seasons ago so why do people think he can cope now ? He's had a load of injuries since and certainly isn't any quicker now than he was then.

He's been really good value for us and no doubting his commitment so far but I think it's time to go. It will be his choice if we don't get promoted but ours if we do.

4 years ago lots can change

if your going to cast out everyone we will have to sign 17/8 players in the summer

definately keep him
paulh_85

Postby Mike Strinati » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Dont think hes good enough for premiership to be honest.Rather we could get something for him now while can than get nothing.
Mike Strinati

Postby llan bluebird » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:45 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Only Gunnar knows his body and bank balance. He is an old 27 year old with many miles on the clock. For the best part of a decade he is been plying his trade at championship level which we know is demanding coupled with living in a foreign country and playing international football.
The fact he doesn't want to commit to another three seasons at our level suggests to me he has peaked. He will never be a premier league DM, he is a distributor and if the legs and energy are waning its time to let him go. He cost us nothing has given all he can give and has been rewarded more than adequately.
Its a shame for him we never had Warnock three and a half seasons earlier as his brand of football suits his skill set, but that's life.
We were never going to get that much for him, so with only a few months left on his contract he'll be better use for the last quarter of the season push, hopefully towards the playoffs.

Bloody spell check he is not a distributor he is a destructor
llan bluebird

Postby Mike Strinati » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:06 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:Only Gunnar knows his body and bank balance. He is an old 27 year old with many miles on the clock. For the best part of a decade he is been plying his trade at championship level which we know is demanding coupled with living in a foreign country and playing international football.

Bloody spell check he is not a distributor he is a destructor

Hes a footballer he hasn't had it hard. Give me his wage id run allday! :lol:
Mike Strinati

Postby dogfound » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:03 pm

7 years at the club
and in those 7 years over a 100 players have played in our 1st team and only 1..Peter Whittingham has played more..no body else comes close..
so all this we can do better?..5 managers,7 years, 100 players ,hundreds of millions of pounds in wages and transfer fees and yet if 100% fit he would play this Saturday...???????????
been a good servant...fantastic value for money..and not as easy to replace as it seems.
dogfound

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:03 pm

dogfound wrote:7 years at the club
and in those 7 years over a 100 players have played in our 1st team and only 1..Peter Whittingham has played more..no body else comes close..
so all this we can do better?..5 managers,7 years, 100 players ,hundreds of millions of pounds in wages and transfer fees and yet if 100% fit he would play this Saturday...???????????
been a good servant...fantastic value for money..and not as easy to replace as it seems.

Just because he has been here a long time doesn't mean he is the best. Yes he would start Saturday if fit and thats because we haven't bought well in midfield. If we went up we need better. Medel did his job a lot better in the prem, it came at a cost but players are out there. He was brilliant value though can't knock that.
2blue2handle

Postby dogfound » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:18 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Just because he has been here a long time doesn't mean he is the best. Yes he would start Saturday if fit and thats because we haven't bought well in midfield. If we went up we need better. Medel did his job a lot better in the prem, it came at a cost but players are out there. He was brilliant value though can't knock that.

we havent bought well in midfield 5 managers..7 years..12 windows..?..yet we can get better .im pretty sure people saying this would include bryson in the better bracket prior to signing him..sounds easy but the grass isnt always greener...Gunnerson took part in more than half our prem games 17 starts and 6 as sub the vast majority while Medel was on the park too...
i dont think he is a world beater either but dont think he deserves the contempt in this thread .Warnock will do well to sign us someone thats still a first teamer in 7 years is truth.
dogfound

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:40 pm

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

we havent bought well in midfield 5 managers..7 years..12 windows..?..yet we can get better .im pretty sure people saying this would include bryson in the better bracket prior to signing him..sounds easy but the grass isnt always greener...Gunnerson took part in more than half our prem games 17 starts and 6 as sub the vast majority while Medel was on the park too...
i dont think he is a world beater either but dont think he deserves the contempt in this thread .Warnock will do well to sign us someone thats still a first teamer in 7 years is truth.

I don't think we have bought a direct replacement for him and don't think Bryson or Demour are even slightly similar. Closest is Halford who is useless.
I don't agree either, I don't think managers have tried to replace him in 7 years, they haven't needed to as he has always signed new deals.
I don't think he was up to it in the prem at all and he won't sign a deal with us in the championship so no problem with that so expect him to leave but if we went up if also say goodbye.
2blue2handle

Postby dogfound » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

I don't think we have bought a direct replacement for him and don't think Bryson or Demour are even slightly similar. Closest is Halford who is useless.
I don't agree either, I don't think managers have tried to replace him in 7 years, they haven't needed to as he has always signed new deals.
I don't think he was up to it in the prem at all and he won't sign a deal with us in the championship so no problem with that so expect him to leave but if we went up if also say goodbye.

find it very very strange that fans are so quick to turn on the players that have contributed the most.
and why havent managers tried to replace a player that we can do better than.? because he has signed new deals means he was offered them...which suggests the managers offering those contracts did not think they could do better..????????
dogfound

Postby eddiep » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 pm

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

find it very very strange that fans are so quick to turn on the players that have contributed the most.
and why havent managers tried to replace a player that we can do better than.? because he has signed new deals means he was offered them...which suggests the managers offering those contracts did not think they could do better..????????

Agree

Thank You Aron

:bluescarf:
you reap what you sow
eddiep

Postby nubbsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:11 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:
1980s Bluebird wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

It's an interesting one. I think so, he made the step up for the Euros which IMO improved him massively and he's in his peak years. I honestly was never entirely impressed by him prior to 2016 - but he's improved a lot and added a lot to his game, so why not? :occasion5:

He's not good enough for the Premier league because he can't pass. He's a great battler but need more than thay at the top level.
nubbsy

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 pm

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

He is a solid championship player.
Who has turned on him? I have no problem with him signing new deals, he has been a great servant. I don't blame him for looking for a better deal, never blame a player for looking for more money elsewhere. However loyalty does not mean I would offer him a deal in the prem if we ever made it as I simply don't believe he is good enough.
2blue2handle

Postby dogfound » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:48 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

He is a solid championship player.
Who has turned on him? I have no problem with him signing new deals, he has been a great servant. I don't blame him for looking for a better deal, never blame a player for looking for more money elsewhere. However loyalty does not mean I would offer him a deal in the prem if we ever made it as I simply don't believe he is good enough.

the first line of my post wasnt aimed at you.. more the thread itself..
i do find it strange though..not just this thread , for a club thats wasted an absolute fortune on uninterested,injured,not good enough,free loaders ,it ends up the players that have contributed the most seem to get all the stick..
as for loyalty..there is none in football other than fans loyalty to their club ,but even that doesnt extend to loyalty to managers or players half a dozen poor games and its sell or sack..
dogfound

Postby TAP_Sheep » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:55 am

nubbsy wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:
1980s Bluebird wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

He's not good enough for the Premier league because he can't pass. He's a great battler but need more than thay at the top level.

I don't doubt we'd find a better play than him. But I'd still try to get him down to a contract. Works hard, box-to-box, good character. Good player to have around really.
TAP_Sheep

Return to General Chat