Bitcoin

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bitcoin

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Obviously nothing to do with footie, but can anyone explain in very simple language what the hell a bitcoin is???

Where did they first come from??

I just don't get or understand it..sounds to me like a disaster waiting to happen and lots of people are going to lose a lot of money (real money)

Out of interest has a football player ever been bought using bitcoin??
oohahhPaulMillar

Bitcoin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Bitcoin

Postby wez1927 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:41 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Obviously nothing to do with footie, but can anyone explain in very simple language what the hell a bitcoin is???

I just don't get or understand it..sounds to me like a disaster waiting to happen and lots of people are going to lose a lot of money (real money)

It's going to burst
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby paulh_85 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:45 pm

wez1927 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Obviously nothing to do with footie, but can anyone explain in very simple language what the hell a bitcoin is???

It's going to burst

even if it does its made a lot of people a foo-foo load richer
paulh_85

Postby wez1927 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:47 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

The first people who bought it up early days are mega rich the people recently are going to lose a lot
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:51 pm

wez1927 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

The first people who bought it up early days are mega rich the people recently are going to lose a lot

Yep it sounds well dodgy, but what exactly is a Bitcoin??
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby JimCP91 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Anybody who thinks crypto currencies are going to lose people money are listening too much to the wrong people. The majority of these coins are backed by technology of the future.

Bitcoin itself, serves not much purpose. It has high fees and takes a while to process but it is the coin people know and will continue to grow in value. However, Ripple for instance is already being taken up by banks. I started investing in crypto currencies at the end of last year, within 5 weeks on Ripple alone i have made over 1000% profit.

Of course, many of these crypto currencies will fade away but many have technology that will revolutionize the way we do things.

Just want to add, it has also been proven that many people who go to the mainstream calling Bitcoin a bubble are heavily invested in it, and come out in public with these claims as it manipulates the price and they can buy back in at a cheaper price.

For 2018 at least, there is a lot of money to be made from crypto currencies.
JimCP91

Postby epping blue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:13 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

For every pound made there'll be a pound lost. I have little understanding of it to be honest but there's no basis to its worth. Its all based on sentiment and the extraordinary price rises based on hype. To me its almost like a pyramid selling con fuelled by millions of speculators. The day major banks exchange them as a viable currency I'll start to believe. At the moment I think an awful lot of people are going to lose an awful lot of money.
epping blue

Postby JimCP91 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:18 pm

epping blue wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

For every pound made there'll be a pound lost. I have little understanding of it to be honest but there's no basis to its worth. Its all based on sentiment and the extraordinary price rises based on hype. To me its almost like a pyramid selling con fuelled by millions of speculators. The day major banks exchange them as a viable currency I'll start to believe. At the moment I think an awful lot of people are going to lose an awful lot of money.

What you need to understand is that Bitcoin is decentralized, therefore its price cannot be manipulated and it is worth what we as consumers believe it is based on supply and demand, it is peer to peer and is very hard to trace a payment. Its technology is outdated, but as it is the most known crypto currency it is the most bought and sold. In addition, if you want to buy alt coins; then you need to purchase them using Bitcoin. People have called it a bubble since its implementation in 2010 when it was 0.05$ and it since hit 20,000$ and is now standing at around 14,000$.

I personally dont invest in Bitcoin but I do use it to purchase alt coins but it is certainly here to stay and will soon break 20,000$ again.
Last edited by JimCP91 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimCP91

Postby paulh_85 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:20 pm

epping blue wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

Theres no basis to the worth of the coins in your pocket either.
paulh_85

Postby JimCP91 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:21 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
epping blue wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

Theres no basis to the worth of the coins in your pocket either.

Exactly.
JimCP91

Postby JimCP91 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

It is just an online currency. The same as your Sterling, except it is digital.
JimCP91

Postby paulh_85 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:32 pm

JimCP91 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

Do you buy Ripple using coinbase?
paulh_85

Postby JimCP91 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:33 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

Ripple isnt on coinbase (yet). You would need to buy Litecoin/etherium/bitcoin on coinbase and transfer it to Bitfinex, from there you can buy ripple using bitcoin
JimCP91

Postby langstoneBlue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Why Is the $ value so important if this is the best currency?
langstoneBlue

Postby JimCP91 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm

langstoneBlue wrote:Why Is the $ value so important if this is the best currency?

Just the same as if you wanted to change your Sterling to Euro, you would want to know the conversion rate.
JimCP91

Postby Alan_in_China » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:57 pm

JimCP91 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

Ripple isnt on coinbase (yet). You would need to buy Litecoin/etherium/bitcoin on coinbase and transfer it to Bitfinex, from there you can buy ripple using bitcoin

There were strong rumours that Ripple was going to be added to Coinbase some time this year, whether that will materalise or not remains to be seen. It has however, just been added to the biggest crypto exchange in Japan, which has a bigger trading volume than Coinbase.
Like yourself, I only buy Bitcoin to purchase alt coins - I've already got Ripple ... looking at NEM/Cardano and Verge.
Alan_in_China

Postby paulh_85 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Alan_in_China wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

even if it does its made a lot of people a foo-foo load richerr

There were strong rumours that Ripple was going to be added to Coinbase some time this year, whether that will materalise or not remains to be seen. It has however, just been added to the biggest crypto exchange in Japan, which has a bigger trading volume than Coinbase.
Like yourself, I only buy Bitcoin to purchase alt coins - I've already got Ripple ... looking at NEM/Cardano and Verge.

what wallet do you use to store ripple in?
paulh_85

Postby nubbsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

A crypto currency. Just like normal money but it's not central controlled by a bank. people invest in it and you can use it to buy things online.
nubbsy

Postby JimCP91 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Alan_in_China wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

Im also invested in Cardano and Verge and a few more. Looking to add Litecoin, Electroneum and Tron.
JimCP91

Postby Alan_in_China » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:02 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

I've stored it on my Ledger Nano S
Alan_in_China

Postby JimCP91 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:03 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's going to burst

Ive not got one yet, but I have purchased the Nano S ledger, just waiting for it to arrive. Apparently its one of the better ones
JimCP91

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:09 pm

Only Ripple I like is the chocolate fecker :D
1980s Bluebird

Postby Alan_in_China » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm pleased with the Ledger Nano. It doesn't support Verge though (but I guess you've already figured that out and downloaded their own wallet?) and Cardano isn't supported on it either, however, that will change in a few weeks time (it was on Cardano's Twitter feed, apparently).
Alan_in_China

Postby paulh_85 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:14 pm

JimCP91 wrote:
Ive not got one yet, but I have purchased the Nano S ledger, just waiting for it to arrive. Apparently its one of the better ones

ok so what do you use currently?
paulh_85

Postby JimCP91 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:20 pm

Alan_in_China wrote:I'm pleased with the Ledger Nano. It doesn't support Verge though (but I guess you've already figured that out and downloaded their own wallet?) and Cardano isn't supported on it either, however, that will change in a few weeks time (it was on Cardano's Twitter feed, apparently).

Nice. The market has taken an awful dip today off of the back of CoinMarket not including South Koreas exchanges and also yesterday Mainstream media reporting that South Korea was to ban Cryptocurrency exchanges - which was fake news.
JimCP91

Postby JimCP91 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:21 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:

Currently it is all sat in my online accounts (dodgey I know). So the quicker my ledger comes the better
JimCP91

Postby Alan_in_China » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:27 pm

JimCP91 wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:I'm pleased with the Ledger Nano. It doesn't support Verge though (but I guess you've already figured that out and downloaded their own wallet?) and Cardano isn't supported on it either, however, that will change in a few weeks time (it was on Cardano's Twitter feed, apparently).

Nice. The market has taken an awful dip today off of the back of CoinMarket not including South Koreas exchanges and also yesterday Mainstream media reporting that South Korea was to ban Cryptocurrency exchanges - which was fake news.

Yup, the crypto currencies have taken a hit right across the board on the back of the news filtering out of South Korea. It'll correct itself though, and at least while the market is bearish, it presents a good opportunity to get in on some of the cryptos.
Alan_in_China

Postby paulh_85 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:29 pm

JimCP91 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:

Currently it is all sat in my online accounts (dodgey I know). So the quicker my ledger comes the better

ok, but you have an online wallet right? or its just sat in the exchange you use?

(sorry, trying to learn a little more about it!!)
paulh_85

Postby Alan_in_China » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:34 pm

One useful tip I will give is:- to buy and sell on Coinbase's sister exchange ... GDAX. You log in using your Coinbase credentials and can instantly exchange your Fiat/cryptocurrency to GDAX, where if you use a limit order to buy or sell you will pay NO fees!
Even if you use a market order the fees are wayyyy lower than on Coinbase.
Alan_in_China

Postby JimCP91 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:37 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:

ok, but you have an online wallet right? or its just sat in the exchange you use?

(sorry, trying to learn a little more about it!!)

Yeah, so the platform you purchase will have a wallet for that particular crypto, but theyre not the most secure and can be hacked which is why you want cold storage
JimCP91

Next

Return to General Chat