Cardiff City fan Britain's most loyal supporter?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:19 pm

BBC

Friday 12th Jan 2018

Reg believes Cardiff could make the top six of the Championship this year
One loyal football fan is still cheering on Cardiff City after 85 years.
Reg Walton, 95, has been a fan since he got a free ticket to see them as a schoolboy in 1932.
Mr Walton has outlasted 42 of the club's managers and even joined the squad himself.
Cardiff City plans to acknowledge Mr Walton's dedication ahead of Saturday's game.

Mr Walton said: "I started going down there as we were given free tickets if you played for your school team.
"I was ten years old and I was able to go see Cardiff FC for free, something you wouldn't be able to do now."
Mr Walton played as a wing-half for Cardiff Corinthians FC up until WWII and joined the Cardiff City squad in the 1950s as a player.

Cardiff City defender Ken Hollyman asked Mr Walton to play for Cardiff FC after the war.
He said: "I never made the first team but it was great and they played some good football in those days.
"I used to get a couple of bob on the side and it was great fun going out and having a few drinks together."
He has seen the team in FA and League Cup finals as well as beating Real Madrid, and still regularly goes to watch games with his family in the Cardiff City stadium.

Grandfather Mr Walton, often goes to Cardiff FC games with his family.
He said: "Football is my life really and I love supporting Cardiff City. My highlight has to be promotion to the Premiership a few years ago. It was a massive feeling of pride.
"My favourite player was a winger called Reggie Pugh who played in the 1930s. He was outstanding and I have never forgotten him since."
A Cardiff City spokesman said the club plans to mark Mr Walton's achievement ahead of their fixture with Sunderland on Saturday when they "hope to acknowledge his fantastic commitment to the Club ahead of kick off."
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Cardiff City fan Britain's most loyal supporter?

Postby City Slicker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City fan Britain's most loyal supporter?

BBC

Friday 12th Jan 2018

Reg believes Cardiff could make the top six of the Championship this year
One loyal football fan is still cheering on Cardiff City after 85 years.
Reg Walton, 95, has been a fan since he got a free ticket to see them as a schoolboy in 1932.
Mr Walton has outlasted 42 of the club's managers and even joined the squad himself.
Cardiff City plans to acknowledge Mr Walton's dedication ahead of Saturday's game.

Mr Walton said: "I started going down there as we were given free tickets if you played for your school team.
"I was ten years old and I was able to go see Cardiff FC for free, something you wouldn't be able to do now."
Mr Walton played as a wing-half for Cardiff Corinthians FC up until WWII and joined the Cardiff City squad in the 1950s as a player.

Cardiff City defender Ken Hollyman asked Mr Walton to play for Cardiff FC after the war.
He said: "I never made the first team but it was great and they played some good football in those days.
"I used to get a couple of bob on the side and it was great fun going out and having a few drinks together."
He has seen the team in FA and League Cup finals as well as beating Real Madrid, and still regularly goes to watch games with his family in the Cardiff City stadium.

Grandfather Mr Walton, often goes to Cardiff FC games with his family.
He said: "Football is my life really and I love supporting Cardiff City. My highlight has to be promotion to the Premiership a few years ago. It was a massive feeling of pride.
"My favourite player was a winger called Reggie Pugh who played in the 1930s. He was outstanding and I have never forgotten him since."
A Cardiff City spokesman said the club plans to mark Mr Walton's achievement ahead of their fixture with Sunderland on Saturday when they "hope to acknowledge his fantastic commitment to the Club ahead of kick off."

Brilliant, well done Reg, a true diehard :notworthy:
City Slicker

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Well done Reg..I salute you Sir :notworthy: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Something they could do now ""I started going down there as we were given free tickets if you played for your school team".
1980s Bluebird

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:34 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:38 pm

One Reg Walton, there's only one Reg Walton :ayatollah:

Reg do the Ayaytollah :ayatollah:
1980s Bluebird

Postby DandoCCFC » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Is it quite sad that these sort of articles make me proud of our club and happy?

Seeing what Atletico do with their fans walking out with the oldest supporters of their club or something like that, just nice to see how far the game has gone in terms of money but some still keeping the connection with supporters.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby GENERAL CHAT » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Plastic.... :laughing6:

Fantastic story ....nice one Reg. :notworthy:
Edmund: Have you ever been to Wales, Baldrick?
Baldrick: No, but I've often thought that I'd like to.
Edmund: Well don't. It's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough, sinewy men roam the valleys terrifying people with their close-harmony singing
GENERAL CHAT

Postby Bonner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:46 pm

My dad...supporting Cardiff Ciry is the thing that has kept him going.. loves it.. even though he can't remember half the names these days ..
Bonner

Postby Sven » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Bonner wrote:My dad...supporting Cardiff Ciry is the thing that has kept him going.. loves it.. even though he can't remember half the names these days ..

A lot in common with many younger supporters! ;) :laughing6: :laughing6:

On a serious note, that's brilliant to see and I hope he enjoys a successful end to this season and the club do something really nice for him before the game tomorrow. And a standing ovation from the fans too! :ayatollah: :clap: :notworthy:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby nubbsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:07 pm

What a legend.

Just goes to show the tickets for schools scheme is well worth the investment. When's the last time we done that? With gates down we should be flying tickets out to school kids and local clubs.
nubbsy

Postby Bob Bank Bluebird » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 pm

nubbsy wrote:What a legend.

Just goes to show the tickets for schools scheme is well worth the investment. When's the last time we done that? With gates down we should be flying tickets out to school kids and local clubs.

They should start it up again under the new name of "The Reg Walton Scheme" :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
Bob Bank Bluebird

Postby Bonner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Will show my dad all these comments.. he be made up.
Thankyou all
Bonner

Postby Bakedalasker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Bonner wrote:My dad...supporting Cardiff Ciry is the thing that has kept him going.. loves it.. even though he can't remember half the names these days ..

:ayatollah:
Bakedalasker

Postby Steve Zodiak » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Great story. Well done sir. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Steve Zodiak

Postby Neath Bluebird » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:46 pm

What a legend, i salute you sir. that is nearly double the time i have been watching them. :notworthy: :bluebird:
Neath is blue, it must kill the jacks, living in our shadow
Neath Bluebird

Postby bluemun » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Da iawn Reg! A true Bluebird!
bluemun

Postby pengamblue » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:12 pm

well done reg, enjoy your day bluebird you have earned it dont forget do the :ayatollah: :thumbup: :thumbup:
pengamblue

Postby Bluebina » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Well done, still coming even after the drop in atmosphere in the new ground, red shirts and Russell Slade, you deserve a medal !!!
Bluebina

Postby Buchanan's Exocet » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Well done Reg.
A top Bluebird among us.
Enjoy your big day!
Memories fade but the scars still linger!
Buchanan's Exocet

Postby Sven » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 pm

Bob Bank Bluebird wrote:
nubbsy wrote:What a legend.

They should start it up again under the new name of "The Reg Walton Scheme" :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

"The Reg Walton Stand" (or Lounge) has a certain ring to it! :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Bluesman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:53 am

"Lets all do the Reggy lets all do the Reggy" La La La La.
Well done Reg hope you are there today so we can all applaud you. :occasion5:
Bluesman

Postby Cantonblu » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:21 am

Make's my supporting the bluebirds since the mid 60's seem like yesterday compared to Reg's story...hat's off to you sir!
Cantonblu

Postby Lawnmower » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:52 am

My mates father has just had to stop going after 60 odd years as he can't get up the steps to his seat now and the cold affects him.

He's in his 80s.

His son, my mate and his grandson ( my mate's lad) still go though and have season tickets. Keeping the family tradition up.

Same with my family. My late grandfather was a City fan , his son, my uncle , myself and my lad (who is now 4 th generation City fan) all still go.

One day I hope to have grandkids to take too.
If not, I'll be trying to get my brother's grandson to go.

He's 15 months old and my wife and daughter have already taught him to do the Ayatollah :laughing6:
Lawnmower

Postby bluebird58 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:07 am

I remember standing on the Bank in Thompson’s Park in Canton watching Cardiff Corries play on Corinthian Park in the sixties with my Grandad - we had a family friend who played for them at the time. Of course, the Bluebirds then took over the ground and used it for their Welsh League matches in the 70s. Sadly, it’s a housing estate now.
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Return to General Chat