VAR Question

A forum for all things Cardiff City

VAR Question

Postby NIBluebird » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:24 am

Football question for forum. With the new VAR system , if there is an incident and the other team goes on to score , that goal will be disallowed and the original incident gets sorted, penalty or free kick etc. But what if that minute when the ball gets put out of play someone gets sent off. Does that get rescinded??? Someone asked this in the other VAR post but it's a good question
NIBluebird

VAR Question

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: VAR Question

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:45 am

NIBluebird wrote:Football question for forum. With the new VAR system , if there is an incident and the other team goes on to score , that goal will be disallowed and the original incident gets sorted, penalty or free kick etc. But what if that minute when the ball gets put out of play someone gets sent off. Does that get rescinded??? Someone asked this in the other VAR post but it's a good question

He will still be sent off, as sending a player off can be instigated even if game has finished or not even started. There is no time line for sending player off. In fact, a player doesn't even have to be playing game, e.g. a sub can be sent off :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby NIBluebird » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks mate , I can understand a bad challenge but a soft handball if the play is being brought back is harsh
NIBluebird

Postby Sven » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:14 am

NIBluebird wrote:Thanks mate , I can understand a bad challenge but a soft handball if the play is being brought back is harsh

Mike, one of the problems with VAR is going to be the retrospective aspect where some things are going to be treated differently according to what has occurred and the example above from Pembroke Allan is one, i.e. a goal won't stand but a sending off will. A sending off for Violent Conduct is completely different to an innocuous 'second yellow' and could be deemed harsh in a period of play considered 'null and void'

The problem in the end will be 'where do the referees draw the line?' and (as you say) what offence would warrant a worthy red/yellow card resulting in a sending off AFTER the game has been stopped for a VAR that results in a rewind to an earlier point (nearly 2 minutes the Chelsea/Arsenal game midweek)

Will the players/managers take advantage of a situation where they 'know' there is a high likelihood of VAR bringing the game back to an earlier point? Of course they will (once the 'system' is learned) and it will be to the detriment of football and, more importantly, the fan experience

Stop/start football is bad enough already with many teams and VAR won't help as referees/authorities/teams rely on it more and more

One thing I've missed tough; does the clock go back the same amount of time that the game carried on once a VAR decision is taken? :? :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:37 am

Sven wrote:
NIBluebird wrote:Thanks mate , I can understand a bad challenge but a soft handball if the play is being brought back is harsh

Mike, one of the problems with VAR is going to be the retrospective aspect where some things are going to be treated differently according to what has occurred and the example above from Pembroke Allan is one, i.e. a goal won't stand but a sending off will. A sending off for Violent Conduct is completely different to an innocuous 'second yellow' and could be deemed harsh in a period of play considered 'null and void'

The problem in the end will be 'where do the referees draw the line?' and (as you say) what offence would warrant a worthy red/yellow card resulting in a sending off AFTER the game has been stopped for a VAR that results in a rewind to an earlier point (nearly 2 minutes the Chelsea/Arsenal game midweek)

Will the players/managers take advantage of a situation where they 'know' there is a high likelihood of VAR bringing the game back to an earlier point? Of course they will (once the 'system' is learned) and it will be to the detriment of football and, more importantly, the fan experience

Stop/start football is bad enough already with many teams and VAR won't help as referees/authorities/teams rely on it more and more

One thing I've missed tough; does the clock go back the same amount of time that the game carried on once a VAR decision is taken? :? :thumbright:

Sven yes it's supposed to get added the time but as we know that is open to interpretation by officials! I feel this will go way of rugby and tmo? Ref not able to make mind up so Var making decisions for hime. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:50 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:

Sven yes it's supposed to get added the time but as we know that is open to interpretation by officials! I feel this will go way of rugby and tmo? Ref not able to make mind up so Var making decisions for hime. :old:

Ps yellow card can be given in same scenario as red one! But probably ref will wait for var decision before proceeding as game is automatically stopped and he will be talking to var. So if var give's pen it won't stand but guess will need to wait and see if happens :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby NIBluebird » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:29 am

Sven wrote:

Thanks Sven.

Some awkward situations ahead .

Interesting about time added on, never knew that
NIBluebird

Return to General Chat