Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Paterson’s best position?

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:21 pm

What do people think his best position is? Full back, wing back, winger, a little bit more central or up top? He seems to be becoming a jack of all trades.

Maybe he’s just better off on the bench and bring him on if and when we need a goal?

Re: Patterson’s best position?

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:44 pm

Play him upfront has an eye for a goal.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:51 pm

He's lost a lot of muscle in his calves due to injury so can't turn quickly, he will be a great player for us next season onwards but right now he's a right midfielder if we have a physical game away, or off the bench. His time will come.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:20 pm

Wing-back when we play 3-5-2 next season in the Premiership!

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:32 pm

bluemun wrote:Wing-back when we play 3-5-2 next season in the Premiership!

:thumbup:

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Wing back or striker he’s definetly not a CM

Re: Paterson’s best position?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:22 am

Wing back and right now I'd use him as an impact sub. He's not a midfielder.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Any new thoughts after today’s game,looked pretty good in the middle and surprised me.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:16 pm

theclaw wrote:Any new thoughts after today’s game,looked pretty good in the middle and surprised me.

I still don't think Paterson is composed enough on the ball to play centre midfield. He's an all action, knock it and run player who isn't quite good enough defensively to play as an out and out full back, but not quite tricky enough dribbling with the ball to play as an out an out winger, when comparing him to what Hoilett offers for example.

Paterson is most dangerous when running from deep with the ball and attacking the back post from deep to get on the end of crosses. I think right wing back would be Paterson's best position, but we don't play with wing backs. Right midfield away from home to do a solid job is how I would use him at the moment, or an attacking right back at home when we are against a lesser team.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:20 pm

Wing back

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:20 pm

All the Jambos I've spoken to have all said the same thing that going forward he's gear but defensively just ok so on that basis I would play him wing back or r mid in a 4-4-2