" Russell Slade Sacked Again "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby bluebird58 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:33 pm

Not surprising really - their recent form is diabolical

Grimsby Town sack manager Russell Slade following terrible winless run

Twelve matches without a win leads to sacking of manager - after Mariners slump from brink of Play-offs towards relegation danger
Attachments
yeovil4.jpg
yeovil4.jpg (37.67 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Russell Slade Sacked.

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:48 pm

Wonder if Bellamy will consider this one.
Bakedalasker

Re: Russell Slade Sacked.

Postby GrangeEndStar » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:08 pm

He now even has a personalised registration plate that says '5LAYD OUT'.
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Re: " Russell Slade Sacked Again "

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Not surprised at all, at City he had a squad full of quality anyone could of managed them and in my opinion Slade/Trollope were just yes men.

Did the job that was asked of him by his boss.

Nice person and I will always say hello :thumbright:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby paulh_85 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Slade didn’t do bad here but it wasn’t very watchable
paulh_85

Postby llan bluebird » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:51 pm

He will always get a warm reception from me (if he ever gets another job). He stopped us ending up in League 1, which is where i believe we were heading. It wasn't pretty, but he did his job
llan bluebird

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:26 pm

He didn't get the sack from us and nearly got us into the play offs.

Even so with the squad he had I do wonder if the likes of Warnock would have got to the play offs.
Bakedalasker

Postby wez1927 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:29 pm

llan bluebird wrote:He will always get a warm reception from me (if he ever gets another job). He stopped us ending up in League 1, which is where i believe we were heading. It wasn't pretty, but he did his job

Agree
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby blue lagoon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:33 pm

Done a solid consolidation job here. Difficult circumstances and treated like shite.
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Postby Charlie Harper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:42 pm

blue lagoon wrote:Done a solid consolidation job here. Difficult circumstances and treated like shite.

I agree and that's the most sensible post you have put on here :happy1:
Mad bad and dangerous to know
Charlie Harper

Postby darran1927 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:He didn't get the sack from us and nearly got us into the play offs.

Even so with the squad he had I do wonder if the likes of Warnock would have got to the play offs.

I think the squad we had under slade underacheived (we had players from championship winning side and some from premiership still ), I think Warnock would have had us playoffs minimum and has shown what can be achieved with small budget since he's been here
darran1927

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:00 pm

darran1927 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:He didn't get the sack from us and nearly got us into the play offs.

I think the squad we had under slade underacheived (we had players from championship winning side and some from premiership still ), I think Warnock would have had us playoffs minimum and has shown what can be achieved with small budget since he's been here

Totally disagree. Slade had an incredible mess to sort out after Ole's disastrous reign. As already said, Slade stopped us going into League 1, he nearly got us into the playoffs and made the necessary cut backs required. Slade was the correct manager to bring in at the correct time, he was one of the most important managerial reigns in our clubs history in my opinion.

I will never understand why some fans complained about his "boring" football. We only lost at home twice in his one full season with us and he made us very difficult to beat. Fans moaning at Slade's style of play must have forgotten where Ole's "entertaining" football got us where we were sliced open at will by teams we finished well above the season before when we lost home to Hull 3-0 and home to Palace 4-0.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:09 pm

I think any manager could have done a similar and most a lot better job than Slade. Amazes me how an ex PE teacher can go from one job to another in this business and make a very good living. Piss poor.
His football was mostly mind numbing, boring and hard work to watch. I know a few ST holders that didn’t go at all to watch matches.
I think there were hundreds if not thousands of ST holders who did the same.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby 2blue2handle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Awful manager, couldn't stand him.
2blue2handle

Postby Jasonccfc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:15 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
darran1927 wrote:

Totally disagree. Slade had an incredible mess to sort out after Ole's disastrous reign. As already said, Slade stopped us going into League 1, he nearly got us into the playoffs and made the necessary cut backs required. Slade was the correct manager to bring in at the correct time, he was one of the most important managerial reigns in our clubs history in my opinion.

I will never understand why some fans complained about his "boring" football. We only lost at home twice in his one full season with us and he made us very difficult to beat. Fans moaning at Slade's style of play must have forgotten where Ole's "entertaining" football got us where we were sliced open at will by teams we finished well above the season before when we lost home to Hull 3-0 and home to Palace 4-0.

Those who moaned about Slades football and style can't have been watching us under Warnock since December :lol:
Jasonccfc

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
darran1927 wrote:

Like ourselves, those teams that sliced us open at will were the same teams in name only. The players on the teamsheets were different to the ones we had finished above when we won the league. Ole was a terrible appointment, but I agree with those who say Slade's football was dire. Stopped attending so regularly after a while of watching his style of football, and reading the reports never thought I was missing much.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Escott1927 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Terrible football under him. A few seasons of dire football is one of the reasons our crowds are low. Many stopped attending and havnt returned.

And people can say he did a good job under difficult circumstances but he inherited a very good squad. Not many teams go straight back up after being relegated but a better manager would have had a better go. Slade hadnt managed above the 3rd tier and it showed.

The club is now recovering so onwards and upwards!
Escott1927

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Jasonccfc wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
darran1927 wrote:

Those who moaned about Slades football and style can't have been watching us under Warnock since December :lol:

I get your joke but the football was not comparable to then and now. At least it’s never boring under Warnock with a fair share of incident and excitement even though the actual football since December hasn’t been great at times.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:44 pm

Jasonccfc wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
darran1927 wrote:

Exactly! We actually played some decent stuff under Slade at times. He didn't even have a good enough natural striker to work with after all the cut backs he had to make, but he brought in Lex Immers and converted Pilkington to a striker, who forged a very successful partnership.

Our 4-1 win home to Brighton was the highlight of his full season with us, but Slade wheeled and dealed impressively to offload the high earners and bring in the likes of Tom Lawrence on loan.

Unfortunately, because Slade was an ex PE teacher and lower league manager, it was easy for fans to slag him off. We were in free fall until Slade arrived and steadied the ship. Warnock never gets criticised for setting us up negatively to grind out an ugly 1-0 win. Nobody complained about Malky's football being boring. But with Slade, it was different. I was delighted Slade immediately got us more organised and more difficult to beat, it was what was required to get us climbing the table and he got us the results required to comfortably avoid the drop.

To be fair, the majority of our fans sympathised with Slade with our only 2 home defeats in his full season. We battered Hull, doing everything but score and we went down to 9 men against Leeds. We all applauded the players efforts as soon as Leeds put the second in, as we outplayed them with 9 men and gave it everything, but they hit us on the break late on.

That's why I will never understand our fans. Everyone applauded the players efforts, Slade got the players giving their all for him and we only failed to make the playoffs because we fell away at the end with our lack of strength in depth from all the cut backs Slade had to make. But he's an ex PE teacher who had only managed lower league teams before us, so he wasn't "glamorous" enough for our fans.

I don't know what happened at Grimsby, but I will always stick up for Slade for the job he did with us and how disgracefully he was treated here. I have never seen a manager get so much unnecessary criticism for doing a very good job for us.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby brickyblue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:41 pm

Slade =boring enough said
brickyblue

Postby Bobbank59 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Yes he's done well since leaving Cardiff. Sacked by Charlton. Sacked by Coventry. Sacked by Grimsby.

Oh dear!!!
Bobbank59

Postby darran1927 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:18 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
darran1927 wrote:

Will have to agree to disagree, he only really got rid of players that weren't in the first team or on fringes, his signings were poor considering that he had experience in the lower leagues and signed poor players that didn't improve the team like Revell, I think he underacheived
Compare to Warnock when came here arguably had harder job we were in relegation zone andhas completely turned us around first season with frees and what we had left.
darran1927

Postby darran1927 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Escott1927 wrote:Terrible football under him. A few seasons of dire football is one of the reasons our crowds are low. Many stopped attending and havnt returned.

And people can say he did a good job under difficult circumstances but he inherited a very good squad. Not many teams go straight back up after being relegated but a better manager would have had a better go. Slade hadnt managed above the 3rd tier and it showed.

Agreed , (though I never stopped attending)
darran1927

Postby DandoCCFC » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:53 pm

People forget once we sacked Ole we were in a rut and was spiralling down the league.. he stabilised the club and will always be thankful for that. People don't understand how tough his job was.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby Sven » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:50 am

darran1927 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:Terrible football under him. A few seasons of dire football is one of the reasons our crowds are low. Many stopped attending and havnt returned.

Agreed , (though I never stopped attending)

Not too sure about that. I am one of those that changed my mind on Russell Slade after learning what he was up against and how anyone can say he didn't hold the club together in difficult times baffles me; yes man or not!

The guy was on a hiding to nothing, as both club and fanbase imploded in the aftermath of relegation, the fallout from Malky, the apparent waste of OGS and the delayed reactions of a relatively small number of very vocal fans who could have been on the TMO team at Twickenham on Saturday, such was their determination not to view from all angles!

Russell Slade was succeeded by Paul Trollope (some say stitched up a treat) and he somewhat proved what a decent job (no matter how boring) had been done! :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Wolfpac » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 am

I have no issues with Russell, he had a difficult tenure with us having to get rid of the rot, and did as best he could with what he had, enjoyed listening to his interviews and had the pleasure of speaking to him for 10 minutes one evening in Tesco Culverhouse Cross, lovely guy and was fond of us at the time, not so sure now tho
Wolfpac

Postby Sven » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:30 am

Wolfpac wrote:I have no issues with Russell, he had a difficult tenure with us having to get rid of the rot, and did as best he could with what he had, enjoyed listening to his interviews and had the pleasure of speaking to him for 10 minutes one evening in Tesco Culverhouse Cross, lovely guy and was fond of us at the time, not so sure now tho

I think (from comments made previously) he's still good with The Bluebirds and the city itself :thumbright:

Sadly, Russell was a victim of the times at City and also (allegedly) Paul Trollope. He didn't do a bad job at all and can't be blamed for his own departure; but circumstances were what they were and a lot of City fans simply played their favourite game of "Knock, knock, who's next...!" :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Geoff Blue » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Nice guy. Came over well in the press conferences. Did well for us reduced the finance bill, got rid of Ole's so called players. I think we finished 8th and 12th under him. Not sure on his footballing tactics, another one with late substitutes etc. I was at the Sheffield Wednesday away game in his last season. He and Trollope did not have a clue in that game. We lost 3-0.
And to this day I could not understand how we appointed Trollope as Manager the following season. Mind you all in the past now.
Geoff Blue

Postby Valley Lad » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Never a fan of his, our football under him was as un-entertaining as anything I can remember, even in some of the real dark days.
Valley Lad

Postby DandoCCFC » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:40 pm

In the whole time he was here he spent just over 2 million thereabouts so he done well with little resources.

In his first and last full season with us he only lost 12 games and got us to 8th, just missing out on play offs.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Next

Return to General Chat