CB - Jason Perry
CB - Don Murray

M - Paul Harding
M - Paul Ramsay
M - Ken DeMange
M- Robbie James

A- Robin Friday
A - Nathan Blake

I made this team up of hard nuts rather than those who’d start a fight in an empty room. I’ve chosen from when I started watching (early 70s). Please feel free to disagree as I’m pretty sure we’ve had some hard nuts that I’ve missed. Think I’ve put Perry out of position but couldn’t think of psycho left back.
bluebirdoct1962

Hardest city team ever

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Hardest city team ever

Postby RICK+CCFC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:Gk - Bill Irwin

RB - Phil Bater
LB - Phil Dwyer

CB - Jason Perry
CB - Don Murray

M - Paul Harding
M - Paul Ramsay
M - Ken DeMange
M- Robbie James

A- Robin Friday
A - Nathan Blakeytq

I made this team up of hard nuts rather than those who’d start a fight in an empty room. I’ve chosen from when I started watching (early 70s). Please feel free to disagree as I’m pretty sure we’ve had some hard nuts that I’ve missed. Think I’ve put Perry out of position but couldn’t think of psycho left back.

I would add Phil Stant to that list.
RICK+CCFC

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:

RB - Phil Bater
LB - Phil Dwyer

CB - Jason Perry
CB - Don Murray

M - Paul Harding
M - Paul Ramsay
M - Ken DeMange
M- Robbie James

A- Robin Friday
A - Nathan Blakeytq

I would add Phil Stant to that list.

Good call mate. Instead of Blake I’d say.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby nubbsy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:02 pm

Was blakey a hard nut? Before my time..
nubbsy

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:06 pm

nubbsy wrote:Was blakey a hard nut? Before my time..

Not particularly tbh but solid and didn’t shirk a challenge. Start ousts him out though.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Barclay1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 am

Gareth Stoker might get in there as might Fridays partner in crime Paul Robson. Signed ( on loan?) From West Ham. Do I remember right that both he and Friday got sent off at Brighton in a 4-0 defeat where Friday also I produced himself to Mark Lawrenceson's kit bag?
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:34 am

Barclay1 wrote:Gareth Stoker might get in there as might Fridays partner in crime Paul Robson. Signed ( on loan?) From West Ham. Do I remember right that both he and Friday got sent off at Brighton in a 4-0 defeat where Friday also I produced himself to Mark Lawrenceson's kit bag?

Yes, think it was Keith Robson.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby caerblue » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:14 am

Gareth ainsworth should be in the team,he had a screw loose
caerblue

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:24 am

caerblue wrote:Gareth ainsworth should be in the team,he had a screw loose

Good call. Ainsworth, Stoker and Robson all should be added I think. Imagine that team v Man City !!!
bluebirdoct1962

Postby 65Blue » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:32 am

Paul Ramsey would get into midfield and I have seen George Wood in a few scraps down the local
65Blue

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Got to be Phil Stant for me......Nails!
1980s Bluebird

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:50 pm

Jeff Eckhardt has got to be in there. I still remember his debut where blood was pouring out of his forehead. He trotted back on the pitch with his head bandaged up, then threw himself into another header.

Heidar Helguson - he had the choice of scoring a diving header and knock himself out on the post, or leave it. Fortunately, he chose to score and knock himself out.

Perhaps a bit soon, but Gary Madine playing most of the Millwall game with a broken nose.

What about Scott McCulloch (Scottish midfielder) and John Williams (big centre back)?
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby frazier » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Paul Went has to be in there, he was one tough centre half, he took no shit from anyone.
frazier

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 pm

frazier wrote:Paul Went has to be in there, he was one tough centre half, he took no shit from anyone.

I remember the final match of the season (78ish) against Carlisle. If we avoided defeat we’d send them down, if they won, we’d go down. At 1-1 with a minute to go there was a goalmouth scramble in our area and one of their players took a swing at a City player, all outfield players piled in and Paul Went dropkicked one of their players. I thought, that’s it, penalty and we’re down but amazingly the ref cooled everything down gave us a free kick and we stayed up. Memories eh :old:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby WelshPatriot » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Mark aizlewood
WelshPatriot

Postby frazier » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:35 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
frazier wrote:Paul Went has to be in there, he was one tough centre half, he took no shit from anyone.

I remember the final match of the season (78ish) against Carlisle. If we avoided defeat we’d send them down, if they won, we’d go down. At 1-1 with a minute to go there was a goalmouth scramble in our area and one of their players took a swing at a City player, all outfield players piled in and Paul Went dropkicked one of their players. I thought, that’s it, penalty and we’re down but amazingly the ref cooled everything down gave us a free kick and we stayed up. Memories eh :old:

I remember that :thumbup: the 76/77 season it was, I think we scored early on and they equalised almost immediately. Paul Went was in the thick of it, he looked a right bruiser, barrel chest and squashed nose.
frazier

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:39 pm

frazier wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I remember that :thumbup: the 76/77 season it was, I think we scored early on and they equalised almost immediately. Paul Went was in the thick of it, he looked a right bruiser, barrel chest and squashed nose.

....and legs like tree trunks :thumbup:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby frazier » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:43 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
frazier wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

....and legs like tree trunks :thumbup:

Just looked on wiki and Paul Went died in January 2017 aged just 67, didn't know that, RIP big fella.
frazier

Postby Exiled in Leeds » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:46 pm

RB - Phil Bater
LB - Phil Dwyer

CB - Jason Perry
CB - Don Murray

M - Paul Harding
M - Paul Ramsay
M - Ken DeMange
M- Robbie James

A- Robin Friday
A - Nathan Blake

I'd have Dereck Showers in there, as well as a nutter, used to kick 4 / 5 balls out of the ground every time he shot at goal in the 70's. My fav City player at the time along with 'Donald'. :ayatollah:
Exiled in Leeds

Re: Hardest city team ever ... Paul Went RIP

Postby Steve the Tea TM (c) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:48 am

Was a really lovely bloke. He was at City at a terrible time financially and regularly met with a group of about a dozen fans regarding events to raise money for the Club. I remember his two goals when he played as a striker one home game and dislocating his shoulder by crashing into a pitchside advertising hoarding. He had the shoulder put back in before playing on. He was as hard as nails on the pitch but a true gentleman off it.

RIP Paul.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... -1-7760098

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/janua ... -1949-2017

https://www.leytonorient.com/news/2017/ ... 1949-2017/

StT.
<><
Steve the Tea TM (c)

Postby Valley Lad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:15 pm

How about Gary Stevens or John Lewis :roll:
On a serious note Lyndon Jones never shirked a challenge?? Or Gary Bennett who could really play too :thumbup:
Valley Lad

Postby fred keenor » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:26 pm

John Buchanan
Remember him threatening a linesman at Notts county!
fred keenor

Postby Vaughny72 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:31 am

Mikey Ford anyone?
Vaughny72

Postby City in Cwmbran » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Terry BOYLE, ANYONE/
City in Cwmbran

Postby OptimisticBlue » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Darren Purse & Gunnarsson surely have to be in there somewhere...?
OptimisticBlue

Postby cardiff 74 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:58 am

Exiled in Leeds wrote:

RB - Phil Bater
LB - Phil Dwyer

CB - Jason Perry
CB - Don Murray

M - Paul Harding
M - Paul Ramsay
M - Ken DeMange
M- Robbie James

A- Robin Friday
A - Nathan Blake

I'd have Dereck Showers in there, as well as a nutter, used to kick 4 / 5 balls out of the ground every time he shot at goal in the 70's. My fav City player at the time along with 'Donald'. :ayatollah:
you havnt put the soul crew in on the terraces to back them up :lol: :lol:
cardiff 74

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Sean Morrison.....
Sol Bamba.....
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Bazforth » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:49 pm

Some good names in there from yesteryear...

Couple more to add...Garry Thompson up front - never shirked a challenge and Simon Walton who we had on loan - maybe not a hardman but a complete loon!

Also honourable mentions to Tony VIdmar and Ricki Scimeca...

How about a softest team ever?

Step forward messrs Jeff Chandler, Pat Heard and Matty Brazier.
Bazforth

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:50 pm

Bazforth wrote:Some good names in there from yesteryear...

Couple more to add...Garry Thompson up front - never shirked a challenge and Simon Walton who we had on loan - maybe not a hardman but a complete loon!

Also honourable mentions to Tony VIdmar and Ricki Scimeca...

How about a softest team ever?

Step forward messrs Jeff Chandler, Pat Heard and Matty Brazier.

Simon Walton - I remember him, didn't he get sent off against Leeds on his debut !?

Vidmar & Scimeca aren't bad shouts either!
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Lengee » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Depends how far you go back.....
I remember the defence in the mid to late 1960s with
Fred Davies (or Wilson in goal) Graham Coldrick, (later Dave Carver) Gary Bell Mel Sutton Don Murray, Brian Harris etc. Also in midfield Gibson was no shrinking violet. Most of them got us to the semi finals of the EUFA cup. I'd call them hard and tough but fair.
Another worthy menrtion would be Greg Farrell who was a midfield / winger. I remember him getting sent off in one of the first games I saw against Palace. He knocked out one of the Palace team and saw red.!
:thumbup: :bluebird:
Lengee

Next

Return to General Chat