MATCH THREAD “ BRENTFORD v CARDIFF CITY MATCH THREAD “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will the result of Brentford v Cardiff City be?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:45 am

Brentford win
10%
Cardiff City win
54%
Draw
35%

Total votes : 48

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:45 am

BRENTFORD v CARDIFF CITY
Tuesday 13th March, 7.45pm
Sky Bet Championship
Griffin Park

Cardiff City: Etheridge; Manga, Bamba, Morrison, Bennett; Mendez-Laing, Grujic, Damour, Paterson, Hoillett; Zohore.

Subs: Murphy, Pilkington, Halford, Connolly, Traore, Wildschut, Madine.

I can’t get to Griffin Park, is the match on TV?

Yes, the match is live on Sky Sports :thumbright:

Approx 1,000 Cardiff fans going :bluebird:

Cardiff have 1,650 tickets / Tickets Still Available :thumbright: :bluebird:

TEAM NEWS :bluebird: 12/03/18

Sean Morrison and Gary Madine are fit to start for the Bluebirds against Brentford, both who were on the bench against Birmingham. :thumbright:

The return of Morrison in particular is so crucial for Cardiff, who lost four games over the Christmas period without their captain and most consistent centre-back. :thumbright:

Meanwhile Madine will provide competition for the in-form-again Kenneth Zohore up front. :thumbright:

Craig Bryson is once again carrying an injury and might need more time to recover.

Joe Ralls is out injured.

Aron Gunnarson could be named in the squad, but is not fully match fit,but has trained now for two weeks.

Andreas Bjelland is expected to miss Brentford's home game with Sky Bet Championship high-flyers Cardiff and spend some time on the sidelines.

The Danish defender was forced off after being at fault for Millwall's first-minute winner on Saturday, and Bees boss Dean Smith later revealed Bjelland had felt an injury in the warm-up.

Chris Mepham is set to come in and form a centre-back partnership with John Egan. Florian Jozefzoon missed the Millwall defeat with a gashed foot and will be checked.

About Brentford

Brentford Football Club is a professional association football club based in Brentford, Greater London, England. The team play in the Championship, the second tier of English football. Brentford FC was founded on 10 October 1889. The club has played its home games at Griffin Park since 1904, after a nomadic existence playing at five previous grounds. Brentford's most successful spell came during the 1930s, when it achieved consecutive top-six finishes in the First Division. Brentford have been FA Cup quarter-finalists on four occasions, and have been runners-up of the Football League Trophy on three occasions.

Brentford came within a penalty kick of automatic promotion to the Championship on the final day of the 2012–13 season, losing 1–0 to promotion rivals Doncaster Rovers at Griffin Park, who only needed a draw to secure automatic promotion, a scenario which mirrored that of the final-day match versus Reading 11 years previously. In injury time, the Bees were awarded a penalty and loan striker Marcello Trotta, intent on taking it, wrestled the ball away from captain Kevin O'Connor and crashed the ball against the bar, after which Rovers broke upfield to score the winning goal. The Bees recovered brilliantly to beat Swindon Town on penalties in the 2013 playoff semi-finals after drawing 4–4 on aggregate, but the season came to an end after a 2–1 defeat to Yeovil Town in the final.

A hangover ensued early in the 2013–14 season, but after a heated discussion between management and players after a defeat to Stevenage in mid-October 2013, Brentford went on a club-record 19 match unbeaten run in League One, even weathering the storm caused by the departure of Uwe Rösler in early December 2013. Mark Warburton carried on Rösler's good work and led Brentford to automatic promotion to the Championship with three matches to spare. Earlier in 2014, Matthew Benham had acquired 100% ownership of the club, with his funding being vital to Brentford's rise from League Two in 2007 to the Championship in 2014. An unexpected 5th-place finish was attained Brentford's first season in the second-tier since 1992–93, but the Bees were comfortably beaten by Middlesbrough in the 2015 playoff semi-finals. An overhaul of the management and recruitment structure of the club at the end of the season led to the departure of manager Mark Warburton, who was replaced by Marinus Dijkhuizen. Dijkhuizen lasted just 9 matches before being replaced by interim manager Lee Carsley, who stabilised the team's form before the appointment of Dean Smith in November 2015.

Previous Meeting

We beat Brentford in November. Joe Ralls and Danny Ward got the goals in a 2-0 win.

Team News - Predicted Line-Ups

Brentford: Bentley, Dalsgaard, Egan, Bjelland, Barbet, Woods, Sawyers, Jozefzoon, Mokotjo, Watkins, Maupay

Cardiff City: Etheridge, Peltier, Manga,, Bamba, Bennett, Bryson, Grujic, Paterson, Mendez-Laing, Hoilett, Zohore

Form - Last Three Games

Millwall 1-0 Brentford
Burton Albion 0-2 Brentford
Leeds United 1-0 Brentford

Cardiff City 3-2 Birmingham City
Cardiff City 2-1 Barnsley
Cardiff City 1-0 Bristol City

Match Odds

Brentford - 6/5
Cardiff City - 11/5
Draw - 12/5

Predictions

Post your predictions below :thumbright:
Attachments
skysports-sky-live-brentford_4253738.jpg
skysports-sky-live-brentford_4253738.jpg (41.9 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: LATEST NEWS “ BRENTFORD v CARDIFF CITY MATCH THREAD “

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:35 am

Brentford 1 City 2 :bluebird: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:36 am

Cardiff have 1,650 tickets / Some Still Available :thumbright: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:40 am

A massive and difficult game.

A massive game because if we lose it will be an opportunity for our arrivals to bridge the gap points as everyone is expecting them to win their games Tuesday night. If we draw the game which most of us will take right now then it gives us a fighting chance of keeping our 2nd spot as we approach the difficult April fixtures. A win for us will add pressure to our arrivals as they are expecting us to drop points from this one.

It has not been a good hunting ground for us this place. I only recall one win for us since the Bees return to the 2nd tier a surprise 2-1 under Slade. Last season we thought we had won it with a last minute goal from Zohore only to give it away with the last chance from the home side. This time around hopefully we can take the lead and not do that again.
Bakedalasker

Postby brickyblue » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Much more exciting end to the season than last year.I think NW knows exactly what it takes to get over the finish line in second.
Its been a monumental effort by city to be within a chance of automatic promotion.
10 games left and theirs a massive scrap for first and second spot.
If we get it great if not nobody can argue we gave it a huge go.
If i were NW id give a target of chasing wolves down for top spot.its easier going for something than staying put.
City win 2-0
brickyblue

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Tough one and I think if we were to get a point that would be no disaster. Whatever the result, I confidently predict we will still be in the top two after this match. ;)
Steve Zodiak

Postby 65Blue » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:A massive and difficult game.

A massive game because if we lose it will be an opportunity for our arrivals to bridge the gap points as everyone is expecting them to win their games Tuesday night. If we draw the game which most of us will take right now then it gives us a fighting chance of keeping our 2nd spot as we approach the difficult April fixtures. A win for us will add pressure to our arrivals as they are expecting us to drop points from this one.

It has not been a good hunting ground for us this place. I only recall one win for us since the Bees return to the 2nd tier a surprise 2-1 under Slade. Last season we thought we had won it with a last minute goal from Zohore only to give it away with the last chance from the home side. This time around hopefully we can take the lead and not do that again.

Agree with all that would take a draw now
65Blue

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:23 pm

0-1 city :bluescarf:
Pembroke bluebird

Postby blemmy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:41 pm

City to win 1-3 - forget other results we can't affect them - let's just keep the winning streak going. Plenty of worry on this board about what's going to happen when we play Wolves. Derby, Villa. How about letting them worry about their result against us - we are second on merit - 4 points clear of third - no one will want to play us with our winning streak still running!!

Believe!!

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
blemmy

Postby Matt the Bluebird » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:54 pm

2-1 Cardiff.
Be a tough game, come on the bluebirds !
Matt the Bluebird

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:A massive and difficult game.

Agreed and I will take a draw as well :thumbright: :bluebird:

A win would be Championship Winners :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:38 pm

JAMES LININGTON HANDED TUESDAY'S VISIT FROM CARDIFF CITY

Match officials confirmed for midweek fixture against Bluebirds

Brentford FC

Referee: James Linington

Assistant Referees: John Flynn and Matt Foley

Fourth Official: Gavin Ward

This is James' third Bees assignment of the season already, having previously taken charge of the 4-3 defeat to Nottingham Forest at Griffin Park and our Carabao Cup exit at the hands of Norwich City. The Isle of Wight official was due to officiate the reverse fixture at the Cardiff City Stadium in November but was replaced before the game.

Now in his tenth season as an EFL referee, James' first two Brentford games were both 1-1 draws at Griffin Park, against Lincoln City and Darlington, during Andy Scott's 2008/09 League Two winning season. In total, he has taken charge of 13 Bees games, with Brentford winning three and drawing two.

So far this campaign, James has shown 111 yellow cards and five reds in 33 games, as well as awarding seven penalties, two of which came in the game against The Canaries in October.

Cardiff City 2017/18

486 fouls – 2nd in Championship

57 yellow cards – 18th in Championship

1 red card – 18th in Championship
Attachments
Large.jpeg
Large.jpeg (36.18 KiB) Viewed 4585 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Lawnmower » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Should still be tickets available for this. I've sold all my spares, but my daughter dropped a dozen back to the club where people had to drop out due to the change in the fixture and I'm sure they've had others back, so there will be availability.

Also room on coaches going up
Lawnmower

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:48 pm

I’ll go for a 1-1 draw, which would be a good result.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:54 am

Cardiff City go in search of their seventh consecutive victory when they take on Brentford at Griffin Park tomorrow night.

The Bluebirds clinched their sixth success on the bounce and extended their unbeaten run to 10 matches with a 3-2 victory over Birmingham City in the Welsh capital on Saturday.

They were due to face the Bees on the opening weekend of March, but the fixture had to be postponed due to the weather, although no such problems are expected to have an impact on the match this time around.

It could provide Warnock with the opportunity to give one or two stars some minutes on their returns from injury given that the Bluebirds face Derby County on Sunday before the international break.
Attachments
JS146004954.jpg
JS146004954.jpg (19.25 KiB) Viewed 4360 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby castleblue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:38 am

Forever Blue wrote:JAMES LININGTON HANDED TUESDAY'S VISIT FROM CARDIFF CITY

Match officials confirmed for midweek fixture against Bluebirds

Brentford FC

Referee: James Linington

Assistant Referees: John Flynn and Matt Foley

Fourth Official: Gavin Ward

This is James' third Bees assignment of the season already, having previously taken charge of the 4-3 defeat to Nottingham Forest at Griffin Park and our Carabao Cup exit at the hands of Norwich City. The Isle of Wight official was due to officiate the reverse fixture at the Cardiff City Stadium in November but was replaced before the game.

Now in his tenth season as an EFL referee, James' first two Brentford games were both 1-1 draws at Griffin Park, against Lincoln City and Darlington, during Andy Scott's 2008/09 League Two winning season. In total, he has taken charge of 13 Bees games, with Brentford winning three and drawing two.

So far this campaign, James has shown 111 yellow cards and five reds in 33 games, as well as awarding seven penalties, two of which came in the game against The Canaries in October.

Cardiff City 2017/18

486 fouls – 2nd in Championship

57 yellow cards – 18th in Championship

1 red card – 18th in Championship

3rd game of ours so far this season for James Linington with no goals from a 0-0 draw against Derby and a 1-0 loss to Preston. In my opinion a decent referee which after some we have had recently is almost a godsend so fancy a win here 2-1.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:47 am

I'd take a draw now but hopefully its another W.

the next 3 games are crucial :ayatollah:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Danny Says » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:21 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:I'd take a draw now but hopefully its another W.

the next 3 games are crucial :ayatollah:

Every game is crucial. No reason why we cannot win both these away games. Need to really given the relatively easy fixtures for the other 3 clubs.
Danny Says

Postby Visitor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Bakedalasker wrote: If we draw the game which most of us will take right now

I'll take that too, as I think will a lot of Bees fans.
Visitor

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Ive gone into the last two games with a "bad feeling about this one" and again I have the feeling :lol: I think its just the feeling the run cant go on and on maybe. Mind I have a weird feeling Villa are going to lose Tuesday :occasion5:
2blue2handle

Postby Jules » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:09 pm

sorry but 2-1 them BUT Villa lose as well.
One of the tougher fixtures this.
Keeping the Faith since '74.
Jules

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Odds for Tuesday night

Having a flutter on Brentford versus Cardiff? These are the odds you need

Brentford win 6/5

Cardiff win 2/1

Draw 23/10

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:52 pm

Smith singles out Hoilett and Zohore

"Dean Smith on Cardiff City"

"They have players who play a certain way. They don’t lack quality in Junior Hoilett and Kenneth Zohore who can score goals out of nothing. They have players who are fully committed and that is something that any manager would want."

"Neil Warnock has been very good at getting teams out of this league. He gets players playing for him. They have a way they play and have been very successful. You can only tip your hat to them."

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Brentford v Cardiff preview: Championship clash live on Sky Sports Football

12/03/18

Andreas Bjelland is expected to miss Brentford's home game with Sky Bet Championship high-flyers Cardiff and spend some time on the sidelines.

The Danish defender was forced off after being at fault for Millwall's first-minute winner on Saturday, and Bees boss Dean Smith later revealed Bjelland had felt an injury in the warm-up.

Chris Mepham is set to come in and form a centre-back partnership with John Egan. Florian Jozefzoon missed the Millwall defeat with a gashed foot and will be checked.

Second-placed Cardiff expect to be without influential midfielder Joe Ralls again. Ralls suffered a knee injury in training and has missed Cardiff's last two games.

Craig Bryson could also miss out after limping out of Saturday's 3-2 win against Birmingham - the Bluebirds' sixth straight league success. But Callum Paterson should shake off a knee injury and Gary Madine and Sean Morrison are in contention to start after returning to the bench on Saturday after injury.

Brentford vs Cardiff

March 13, 2018, 7:30pm

Live on Sky Sports Football HD

Brentford haven't kept a clean sheet in a league match against Cardiff since December 1998, conceding in 14 consecutive games since.

The Bluebirds haven't completed a league double over Brentford since the 2002/03 season.

In the reverse fixture, Brentford had 25 shots without scoring against the Bluebirds - only one team has had more in a Championship match this season without scoring (Brentford v Norwich, 27 in January).

Cardiff's current run of six consecutive Championship wins is the longest current run in the division.

The Bees have scored the most goals from outside the box in the Championship this season (13).

10 of the last 11 Championship goals conceded by Cardiff have been scored in the second half.

Highlights of the Sky Bet Championship match between Cardiff and Birmingham.

Prutton's prediction

Cardiff just keep on winning. It's becoming a habit for them now and it's getting harder to back against Neil Warnock's side.

It feels like Brentford's slim play-off hopes are slipping away now after that defeat at Millwall on Saturday. They'll still put up a fight against Cardiff but I feel like the Bluebirds will edge this one.

Prutton predicts: 1-2 with Junior Hoilett to score first (40/1 with Sky Bet)

Forever Blue
Admin

Re: TEAM NEWS “ BRENTFORD v CARDIFF CITY MATCH THREAD “

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:42 pm

TEAM NEWS :bluebird: 12/03/18

Sean Morrison and Gary Madine are fit to start for the Bluebirds against Brentford, both who were on the bench against Birmingham. :thumbright:

The return of Morrison in particular is so crucial for Cardiff, who lost four games over the Christmas period without their captain and most consistent centre-back. :thumbright:

Meanwhile Madine will provide competition for the in-form-again Kenneth Zohore up front. :thumbright:

Craig Bryson is once again carrying an injury and might need more time to recover.

Joe Ralls is out injured.

Aron Gunnarson could be named in the squad, but is not fully match fit,but has trained now for two weeks.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:56 am

Cardiff City head to Griffin Park to take on Brentford this evening as they hope to keep the good times rolling in their quest for promotion to the Premier League.

They go in search of their seventh consecutive victory this evening after extending their unbeaten run to 10 with a 3-2 victory over Birmingham at the weekend.

Sean Morrison is expected to come back into the side tonight and there is a chance of a start for Gary Madine.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Wolfpac » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:42 am

I like many others on here will take a draw because the Bees are a force at home, play lovely football and like to score goals, massive game for us tonight so we need to take our chances.
Wolfpac

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:41 pm

What have the managers said?

Dean Smith: "It was always going to be a stiff period with the re-arranged game. We put in a good performance at Millwall and should have got the three points there. If we get more of that then we have every chance of going and beating Cardiff City. They are on a great run, being six unbeaten, so we know how tough it is going to be."

Brentford manager Dean Smith
Neil Warnock: "Brentford have had more shots than anybody. They don't change, whoever they're playing against. They attack you, they've got good inter-movement, a good crowd down there and a good atmosphere. Smithy has done a great job there."
Attachments
JS132004094.jpg
JS132004094.jpg (22 KiB) Viewed 2714 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Approx 1,200 Cardiff fans going :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby exiled12345 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Anyone got 2 x spares for Brentford?

Cheers
exiled12345