REMAINING FIXTURES, PROMOTION AND PLAY-OFF POINTS TARGETS?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Cardiff City's remaining fixtures, when a play-off spot will be official and the points total that should be enough for promotion
By Dominic Booth

The Bluebirds, along with Aston Villa, Wolves and Fulham, are in the scrap for automatic promotion

The situation at the top of the Championship is intriguing.

Aston Villa's thumping win over Wolves at the weekend — not to mention victories for Cardiff City and Fulham — has blown the automatic promotion race wide open, while Neil Warnock admitted he will set new goals for the Bluebirds after his players reached their initial points target for the play-offs.

With Cardiff, Wolves and Villa all playing their games in hand on Tuesday night, this is where the race for the Premier League currently stands and how many points the Bluebirds need to secure a top six (and then top two) position...

How many points are needed for the play-offs?

At the start of the campaign, Warnock believed 73 points would be enough for the play-offs...

And with the Bluebirds hitting that figure following the 3-2 win over Birmingham , some suggested a top six position had already become secure.

Not the case. Cardiff may still need another 14 points to guarantee a play-off spot as things stand.

Bristol City currently sit in seventh, with the gap 15 points to Cardiff. The Robins — if they win all nine of their remaining games — can finish on 85 points, with Sheffield United possibly hitting 86 points if they win their last 10 games on the trot.

As unlikely as that seems, it means Cardiff would need 86 points to hold them off, assuming nobody else drops dramatically away from the top six.

The Blades still have to play Bristol City, so someone will have to drop points there. Cardiff also travel to Bramall Lane, so a win against Chris Wilder's side would put even more space between the Bluebirds and the chasing pack.

So another five wins would mathematically secure a play-off positions regardless of other results, though recent history tells us that 80 is usually more than enough.

What about the automatic promotion race?

With 10 games to go for Cardiff and nine for others, it's too soon to say how many points will guarantee a top two place.

Suffice to say, Cardiff need to keep on winning, such is the fierce competition provided by Wolves, Villa and Fulham. Don't discount Derby and Middlesbrough yet either despite the Rams' tumble down the table and Boro's poor start to the campaign under erstwhile manager Garry Monk.

"I think if we win the last 10 games, we'll get promoted," joked Warnock when asked if he's got a new target in mind for the Bluebirds after the weekend's win.

He still believes his troops are punching well above their weight, still insists they are huge underdogs for the top two compared to the might of Wolves, Fulham and Villa.

But privately he may have the 90 points figure in mind.

Brighton finished second in a high quality promotion race last season with 93, but Boro claimed 89 in second place the year before. In 2014/15, Watford won automatic promotion with 89 points while it was as little as 79 when Hull finished second below Malky Mackay's Cardiff in 2012/13.

If Cardiff can secure six wins from their final 10 games, they would finish with 91 points. Unless either Fulham or Villa enjoy a pretty flawless run of victories, that should be enough to secure a place in next season's Premier League.

The remaining fixtures for each team

Both Wolves and Fulham have some favourable home fixtures, while Cardiff's run-in — with trips to Derby, Villa and Sheffield United — looks the toughest of the bunch.

Warnock will surely highlight the home games against Burton, Forest and Reading as 'bankers' for three points, while the Bluebirds may have to forge away wins from tricky trips to mid-table Brentford, Norwich and Hull.

Cardiff City's run-in

Brentford (A)

Derby (A)

Burton (H)

Sheffield Utd (A)

Wolves (H)

Aston Villa (A)

Norwich (A)

Nottingham Forest (H)

Hull (A)

Reading (H)

Wolves' run-in

Reading (H)

Burton (H)

Middlesbrough (A)

Hull (H)

Cardiff (A)

Derby (H)

Birmingham (H)

Bolton (A)

Sheffield Weds (H)

Sunderland (A)

Aston Villa's run-in

QPR (H)

Bolton (A)

Hull (A)

Reading (H)

Norwich (A)

Cardiff (H)

Leeds (H)

Ipswich (A)

Derby (H)

Millwall (A)

Fulham's run-in

QPR (H)

Norwich (A)

Leeds (H)

Sheffield Weds (A)

Reading (H)

Brentford (H)

Millwall (A)

Sunderland (H)

Birmingham (A)
Attachments
Table.jpg
Table.jpg (48.43 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: REMAINING FIXTURES, PROMOTION AND PLAY-OFF POINTS TARGET

Postby Igovernor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:43 pm

Sven , My brain hurts, all we have to do is keep winning :thumbup: :laughing6:
Igovernor

Postby nojac » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Its very close , at least the end of the season won't be boring.
Surely one or two of the top four,may start to falter. Surely they all can't keep winning , fingers crossed it won't be us .
nojac

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:15 pm

we'll finish 1st or 2nd...

Can't see us dropping that many points. Wolves, Villa and Derby will come at us and we'll hit them on the counter so these games could go either way. I expect us to win 6 with two coming from the above games :thumbright:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Will be close funny as it sounds but win tomorrow and it would look a lot better as Fulham would need 3 more wins than what we achieve and beat derby sun same scenario for them! We would then need 4 wins in remaining games leaving the other 2 teams basically to win all remaining games presuming we draw a game on top of 4 wins, task looks hard on paper but surely we can get 4/5 wins? :occasion5:
pembroke allan

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:27 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Will be close funny as it sounds but win tomorrow and it would look a lot better as Fulham would need 3 more wins than what we achieve and beat derby sun same scenario for them! We would then need 4 wins leaving the other 2 teams basically to win all remaining games presuming we draw a game on top of 4 wins, task looks hard on paper but surely we can get 4/5 wins? :occasion5:

Same as you. I think we'll do it by at least 6 :thumbright:

Win the next 3 and its done. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:59 pm

I agree 6 wins maybe 2 draws and 2 losses and I think we'll go up. But I think it will be hard and I'm still not convinced we'll finish 2nd. I think we really needed Villa and Fulham to drop points on Saturday to give us that gap for us to drop pts vs Brentford or Derby as I don't see us winning both and the other 2 have 2 easy games. But if anyone can do it Warnock can so lets hopefully take 4pts minimum from Brentford and Derby :ayatollah:
Bluebird Warrior

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:06 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Will be close funny as it sounds but win tomorrow and it would look a lot better as Fulham would need 3 more wins than what we achieve and beat derby sun same scenario for them! We would then need 4 wins leaving the other 2 teams basically to win all remaining games presuming we draw a game on top of 4 wins, task looks hard on paper but surely we can get 4/5 wins? :occasion5:

People are asuming we won't get more than 12 points and Fulham and villa will win 8/9 games we get 16 points and those 2 will need those wins to be above us. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Carpe Diem » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:16 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

People are asuming we won't get more than 12 points and Fulham and villa will win 8/9 games we get 16 points and those 2 will need those wins to be above us. :thumbup:

Both Villa and Fulham are on great runs and more than capable of picking up another 7 or 8 wins. For villa that puts them 90+ points. 16 more points for us won’t be enough imo
Carpe Diem

Postby Steve Zodiak » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:28 pm

I think 91 points will be enough.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Sam ReaN » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:30 pm

It depends how many Wolves Aston Villa Us (Cardiff) and Fulham lose there games, it might not take the end of the season, there are many factors that play into this all.

Like will Wolves continue to lose points and potentially positions in the top 2, could it be Cardiff and Aston Villa who go up?
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:54 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Both Villa and Fulham are on great runs and more than capable of picking up another 7 or 8 wins. For villa that puts them 90+ points. 16 more points for us won’t be enough imo

Yes they are but that would put Fulham on 24 unbeaten games plus 19 wins out of 24 games have you ever known a club in championship do that? Forest got that long time ago but they were great side then.! Villa better chance so be more worried them. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby crey » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Oh to go up without play offs!! What a dream that is and I hope it will be a reality.
It's going to be tight for sure but would love automatic promotion, not sure my heart could stand another play offs. :old:
crey

Postby thomasblue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:35 am

I hate to say it but i think we need 7 at least 7 wins and a draw.

Look at fulhams fixtures and its hard to see where they will drop points. I think they will stay on the run they are on meaning we need to aswell
thomasblue

Postby CF3BLUE » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:06 am

We have the toughest run in for sure.

The way everyone is jockeying at the moment, it's definitely going to need 90+ points for auto promotion.
CF3BLUE

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 am

thomasblue wrote:I hate to say it but i think we need 7 at least 7 wins and a draw.

Look at fulhams fixtures and its hard to see where they will drop points. I think they will stay on the run they are on meaning we need to aswell

So Fulham will win all 9 games to get past us? that would be miraculous as already got 12 wins and 3 draws on their unbeaten run! ? If do that they deserve to go up
pembroke allan

Postby troobloo3339 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:55 am

I strongly believe we need 17points for autos that would give us 90points
Fulham would have to better 20points
Villa would have to better 19points
If either of them did get 1extra point goal difference would come into play
troobloo3339

Postby troobloo3339 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 am

troobloo3339 wrote:I strongly believe we need 17points for autos that would give us 90points

Sorry guys fulham would . Need more than 21points from 9 games
Villa wouldneedmore than 20points . From 10 games
troobloo3339

Postby Bananas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:05 am

troobloo3339 wrote:
troobloo3339 wrote:I strongly believe we need 17points for autos that would give us 90points

Sorry guys fulham would . Need more than 21points from 9 games
Villa wouldneedmore than 20points . From 10 games

STATO ALERT!!! :laughing6:
Bananas

Postby Wolfpac » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:06 am

We can only beat whats infront of us and that starts tonight with the Bees

LETS KEEP THE FAITH CITY FAITHFUL :bluescarf:
Wolfpac

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:24 am

Wolfpac wrote:We can only beat whats infront of us and that starts tonight with the Bees

Would be monumental achievement for us to get autos given how difficult 4 of our games are? But not given up on them doing it, but get win tonight will help massively. :occasion5:
pembroke allan

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:31 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:We can only beat whats infront of us and that starts tonight with the Bees

Would be monumental achievement for us to get autos given how difficult 4 of our games are? But not given up on them doing it, but get win tonight will help massively. :occasion5:

I think Villa will beat us but we'll win against Wolves, Derby and Sheff utd :thumbright: :ayatollah:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby boyo1927 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Wolves 1st Cardiff 2nd an Fulham to win playoffs....
boyo1927

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:22 pm

boyo1927 wrote:Wolves 1st Cardiff 2nd an Fulham to win playoffs....

Agree
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Danny Says » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:34 pm

Did I read it right that when we last went up Hull went up 2nd on 79 points?

If that's so that won't get anywhere near 2nd this season so it just goes to show how useless season by season comparisons are.
Danny Says

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Danny Says wrote:Did I read it right that when we last went up Hull went up 2nd on 79 points?

If that's so that won't get anywhere near 2nd this season so it just goes to show how useless season by season comparisons are.

Yep! that's right.

I remember going up there last game of the season and the whole stadium were celebrating :laughing6: :laughing6:
Both sets of fans singing were going up.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby City Slicker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Danny Says wrote:Did I read it right that when we last went up Hull went up 2nd on 79 points?

Yep! that's right.

I remember going up there last game of the season and the whole stadium were celebrating :laughing6: :laughing6:

I was up there and it was a great day out! I wonder, is it an omen that the last time we played Hull away at the end of the season we were promoted? I hope it is!
City Slicker

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:14 pm

City Slicker wrote:

Yep! that's right.

I was up there and it was a great day out! I wonder, is it an omen that the last time we played Hull away at the end of the season we were promoted? I hope it is!

It was a brilliant day out! it was boiling too if I remember and I was dressed as a 118 bloke... :laughing6:

Hopefully mate but I don't Hull will be going up this season :laughing5: :notworthy:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby thomasblue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:25 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:I hate to say it but i think we need 7 at least 7 wins and a draw.

So Fulham will win all 9 games to get past us? that would be miraculous as already got 12 wins and 3 draws on their unbeaten run! ? If do that they deserve to go up

I think looking at the fulham fixtures it is very possible they could win nearly all of them.
Where will they slip up ?
I dont see many dropled points for them at the moment unless suspensions and injuryy hamper them
thomasblue

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:44 pm

thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I think looking at the fulham fixtures it is very possible they could win nearly all of them.
Where will they slip up ?
I dont see many dropled points for them at the moment unless suspensions and injuryy hamper them

Maybe right like said if they win 21 out of 24 games cannot complain if beat us :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Next

Return to General Chat