BURNLEY COULD GET CARDIFF CITY STAR ON A FREE TRANSFER

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:35 pm

" BURNLEY COULD GET CARDIFF CITY STAR ON A FREE TRANSFER "

Report: Burnley's Sean Dyche a long-term admirer of Aron Gunnarsson, who has rejected Cardiff City contract

HITC & Daily Mirror

Tuesday 13th March 2018

Gunnarsson could be a free transfer target for Burnley if Cardiff City fail to gain promotion this season.

Sean Dyche, Manager of Burnley during the Premier League match between Swansea City and Burnley at Liberty Stadium on February 10, 2018 in Swansea, Wales.

Burnley manager Sean Dyche is a long-term admirer of Cardiff City midfielder Aron Gunnarsson, according to the Daily Mirror [March 13th, page 50].

The report claims Gunnarsson's future is dependent on Cardiff's promotion this season, after the 28-year-old turned down the Bluebirds' offer of a new contract - with his existing one due to expire in June.

And Burnley could pounce on the Iceland international for nothing if an agreement cannot be reached in the coming months.

Gunnarsson has spent the past seven years at Cardiff, to whom he moved on a free transfer from Coventry City.

He has gone on to make 250 Bluebirds appearances - including 23 in the Premier League - but missed the past three months through injury.

Johann Gudmundsson of Burnley warms up prior to the Premier League match between Burnley and Southampton at Turf Moor on February 24, 2018 in Burnley, England.

Burnley stand to lose midfield duo Scott Arfield and Dean Marney at the end of their contracts this summer, and Gunnarsson, who is an international colleague of Clarets winger Johann Berg Gudmundsson, could be a useful replacement.
Attachments
sean_dyche_manager_of_burnley_during_the_premier_league_match_be_703490.jpg
sean_dyche_manager_of_burnley_during_the_premier_league_match_be_703490.jpg (34.55 KiB) Viewed 7089 times
aron_gunnarsson_of_cardiff_city_and_ryan_sessegnon_of_fulham_in__629344.jpg
aron_gunnarsson_of_cardiff_city_and_ryan_sessegnon_of_fulham_in__629344.jpg (58.98 KiB) Viewed 7089 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: BURNLEY COULD GET CARDIFF CITY STAR ON A FREE TRANSFER

Postby DandoCCFC » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:48 pm

A shame if we didn't get any sort of fee for him but this season showed we don't need him as much as people think we do, I don't think there has been one point this season since he has been injured where I have missed him personally.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby Juventus Blue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:A shame if we didn't get any sort of fee for him but this season showed we don't need him as much as people think we do, I don't think there has been one point this season since he has been injured where I have missed him personally.

Spot on Dando, I can’t see the obsession with him by some of our fans tbh
CARDIFF CITY ARE BACK IN BLUE!
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE, WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUUUUEE!
CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPIONS 2012/13
CHAMPIONSHIP RUNNERS UP 2017/18
Juventus Blue

Postby DandoCCFC » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Juventus Blue wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:A shame if we didn't get any sort of fee for him but this season showed we don't need him as much as people think we do, I don't think there has been one point this season since he has been injured where I have missed him personally.

I can see why he is rated highly by some because you can't fault his work ethic and we haven't played a system that suits him since MM was here and he never looked the same since MM left really for me, he does more bad than good here he's always caught out of position and chasing the game more than he does dictate it, he is one of many players in the central area of midfield that lack any technical ability.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby boyo1927 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:00 pm

If we don't go up then fair enough premiership for him. If we go up surely he would stay
boyo1927

Postby GrangeEndStar » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:22 pm

All about opinions folks but I think we have missed Gunnars since he was injured. We've still in a great position but he was immense in his DM role plus we miss his leadership qualities. Just goes to show how well NW has adapted the team to cover injuries as AG was part of this teams backbone.

I can't wait to see him back playing for us and if we don't go up and he wants to move on, it would be a shame not to profit for his move to the PL as he's such a proven player both domestically and internationally. Top bloke too.
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:All about opinions folks but I think we have missed Gunnars since he was injured. We've still in a great position but he was immense in his DM role plus we miss his leadership qualities. Just goes to show how well NW has adapted the team to cover injuries as AG was part of this teams backbone.

I can't wait to see him back playing for us and if we don't go up and he wants to move on, it would be a shame not to profit for his move to the PL as he's such a proven player both domestically and internationally. Top bloke too.

Totally Agree :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:44 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:
Juventus Blue wrote:

I can see why he is rated highly by some because you can't fault his work ethic and we haven't played a system that suits him since MM was here and he never looked the same since MM left really for me, he does more bad than good here he's always caught out of position and chasing the game more than he does dictate it, he is one of many players in the central area of midfield that lack any technical ability.

Absolutely agree.
He’s done a job for us over the years but he’s technically poor. Can’t see him burning up the Prem by any stretch.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Krutches » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:45 pm

He's a warrior of a player and a massive influence :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
Krutches

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Great player and servant of Cardiff City FC and deserves a free transfer and good contract with Burnley if that's what he wants. Goes with my best wishes. :ayatollah:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:57 pm

Thank god, you got me worried with the headline "Burnley could get Cardiff City star on a free transfer" as I thought the headline was regarding Junior Hoilett. Honestly Gunnar has been a great servant and has honored his contract and is free to decide what he wants without any dissent from fans (I will be pi**ed if he get injured on internationals again mind) but I don't think he's an irreplaceable player, he does the basic job of protecting the back 4 whilst not having a lot of technical ability. Very good championship player but I've never thought he's good enough for the premier league. Just my opinion mind.
Bluebird Warrior

Postby Sven » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:19 pm

In the words of Queen Elsa, Let him go..let him go! :laughing6:

No offence to a decent City player over the last few years but he told the manager he wasn't prepared to stay beyond this season but added the caveat that he 'might' if we were promoted...

Not what you want to hear from a 'loyalty' point of view and (thanks to his national team) he hasn't been a big part of this campaign and that might just be saying a lot! ;)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Jonsey Jones » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:17 am

Is he one of the old guard on a big contract?

I think this is down to whether we can afford him. I can understand the "hold out to next season" attitude. If we don't go up then we won't be able to afford the wage he's currently on, so he's looking at a pay cut.

How many here would stick with their employer if they said to you next year (pulling a figure out of my head) we are going to pay you 50% less for the same job?

We think, as football fans, that the players love the club and only want to play for the club no matter what but that is a rarity these days.
Jonsey Jones

Postby Ruislip Blue » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:34 am

Let them have him. Been inconsequential this year.

Gunnar been nothing for us this year.
Ruislip Blue

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 am

Don't rate him as highly as some do but still a decent player. If we go up id only want to keep him as a squad player, not sure if he would be happy with that also wouldn't want the club making him one of the high earners.
2blue2handle

Postby Juventus Blue » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:02 am

Sven wrote:In the words of Queen Elsa, Let him go..let him go! :laughing6:

No offence to a decent City player over the last few years but he told the manager he wasn't prepared to stay beyond this season but added the caveat that he 'might' if we were promoted...

Not what you want to hear from a 'loyalty' point of view and (thanks to his national team) he hasn't been a big part of this campaign and that might just be saying a lot! ;)

Spot on Chris :thumbup:
CARDIFF CITY ARE BACK IN BLUE!
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE, WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUUUUEE!
CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPIONS 2012/13
CHAMPIONSHIP RUNNERS UP 2017/18
Juventus Blue

Postby norms76 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:08 am

I personally think we’ll need better than Gunner if we do make it. He’s basically saying if we miss out he’s gone, if we go up he signs a Premier League contract with us.

Can’t blame him chasing the money as it’ll probably be his last big contract.

But I feel we need better.
norms76

Postby norms76 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:11 am

Jonsey Jones wrote:Is he one of the old guard on a big contract?

I think this is down to whether we can afford him. I can understand the "hold out to next season" attitude. If we don't go up then we won't be able to afford the wage he's currently on, so he's looking at a pay cut.

How many here would stick with their employer if they said to you next year (pulling a figure out of my head) we are going to pay you 50% less for the same job?

We think, as football fans, that the players love the club and only want to play for the club no matter what but that is a rarity these days.

Joe Bennett did.

He could have earned much more at Fulham but decided to stay.

That’s why he’s one of my favourites, a very good LB and very loyal
norms76

Postby paulh_85 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:19 am

norms76 wrote:I personally think we’ll need better than Gunner if we do make it. He’s basically saying if we miss out he’s gone, if we go up he signs a Premier League contract with us.

honestly dont believe its a money thing, not like he can go and earn 50/60k elsewhere.

hes certainly paid his dues in the championship, being a combative player in a very difficult division for 10 seasons or so. good luck to him i say, and if we go up, id definitely keep but mostly as a squad player.
paulh_85

Postby theclaw » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:20 am

I’d offer him a 2 year contract on 17k a year this week -take it or leave sign this week!
theclaw

Postby Bluebina » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:25 am

Non story, he could go anywhere or stay if we get promoted and if we can’t find better, this has been known for ages.
Bluebina

Postby nubbsy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:23 am

paulh_85 wrote:
norms76 wrote:I personally think we’ll need better than Gunner if we do make it. He’s basically saying if we miss out he’s gone, if we go up he signs a Premier League contract with us.

honestly dont believe its a money thing, not like he can go and earn 50/60k elsewhere.

hes certainly paid his dues in the championship, being a combative player in a very difficult division for 10 seasons or so. good luck to him i say, and if we go up, id definitely keep but mostly as a squad player.

Who's guna pay him that?
nubbsy

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:36 am

norms76 wrote:

Joe Bennett did.

Add Morrison to this list... was offered loads at Sheff Wed but decided to stay...
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby piledriver64 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:49 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
norms76 wrote:

Joe Bennett did.

Add Morrison to this list... was offered loads at Sheff Wed but decided to stay...

Agreed, Morrison and Bennett were both still in contract yet had big offers in terms of wages and fees from Wednesday and Fulham respectively that they turned down. Bennett even had a buy-out figure in his contract that was triggered so you can pretty much assume that the fee mght have been quite low but the wages would have been significantly higher as a result.

Absolutekly no difference.

Gunnarrsson struggled for pace in the Prem last time and he certainly hasn't got any quicker since then ! He may well be important for us in the run in if only to release Gruijic futher forward but if we go up we certainly will need better.

I like the guy, and he's been a good servant, but not one of the priorties to keep in the Prem in my opinion.
piledriver64

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:09 am

Have we and would we miss him, :bluebird:
1980s Bluebird

Postby paulh_85 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:05 pm

nubbsy wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Who's guna pay him that?

thats my point :occasion5:
paulh_85

Postby norms76 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:17 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Who's guna pay him that?

I disagree mate, if he went on a free to Burnley he would earn at least 25k in the premier league. Turkish clubs were interested and if he has a stormer of a World Cup then they’d pay silly money. Not saying he’ll earn 50/60k but it would be significantly higher than we could pay him.
norms76

Postby norms76 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:22 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
norms76 wrote:

Joe Bennett did.

Oh yeah! And I’m so glad he did too! I wasn’t bothered at the time but by f**k he’s proved me wrong and is without doubt one of the best CB’s in the Championship now.

He knew Warnock was serious about promotion and wanted to be part of it like Bennett did. Manga too could have walked away on a free but Warnock obviously worked his charm and he’s stayed.

If it wasn’t for Warnock I’d fear where we’d be right now. We were heading for league one rapidly.

Fantastic manager.
norms76

Postby paulh_85 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:23 pm

norms76 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Who's guna pay him that?

I disagree mate, if he went on a free to Burnley he would earn at least 25k in the premier league. Turkish clubs were interested and if he has a stormer of a World Cup then they’d pay silly money. Not saying he’ll earn 50/60k but it would be significantly higher than we could pay him.

Is 25k a lot more than we would or could pay him ? I doubt he’s a million miles off that now
paulh_85

Postby llan bluebird » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:27 pm

If and its still a biggish if, we are promoted we could be straight down the next season. Gunnar is saying he hasn't got a full championship season in him any more. The legs and desire may be waning. He is not a Whitts type who's technical ability can hide the loss of physical attributes. He'd be 30 at the end of next season.

If i was him i would fancy a lower level La liga team rather than us or Burnley. A few seasons in the MLS wouldn't be too bad either.
llan bluebird

Next

Return to General Chat