NEIL WARNOCK: " A TOUGH GAME & GARY MADINE WAS "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Neil Warnock: A tough game and a great response

NEIL WARNOCK:

“I thought (Gary) Madine was fabulous today. Madine did all of the hard work and then Ken (Zohore) got the cream.

Cardiff City FC

Saturday 14th April 2018

Neil Warnock spoke to the assembled press and media after late goals from Kenneth Zohore and Junior Hoilett secured a superb 2-0 victory over Norwich City at Carrow Road on Saturday afternoon.

“Today was a very tough game," the Gaffer began. "It’s a great response and I’m glad we’ve got the week off now. I’m as delighted as I was deflated after the last two games. We didn’t get what we deserved in the last two.

“It’s been difficult to pick the lads up this week and we had a bit of a sluggish start, Norwich are a good side and have got some good players, so we knew we had to hang in there. They were always going to have a lot of possession, but I thought we defended really well.

“I thought (Gary) Madine was fabulous today. Madine did all of the hard work and then Ken (Zohore) got the cream.

“I couldn’t fault anything today, you can see what my team are like, they’ve got big hearts. We might not be technically as good as some of these other teams but it’s not through a lack of effort and that’s what I love about the Championship - you get a group of lads like this who die for you. It makes you feel so proud as a manager.”

Warnock went onto discuss the excellent defensive display and our recent record.

"Sean Morrison today was a 12/10, a colossus. I thought Manga did well when he came on too and the full-backs and goalkeeper were excellent. I thought we still had the best chances, even in the first half when Norwich played the better stuff. We still lacked a bit of clinical finishing but it was nice to create those chances today.

“In the last three games we’ve gone right to the 90 odd minutes and unfortunately, we’ve only got three points from three games, but it does feel as though it’s the best three points of the season."
Attachments
Large.jpeg
Large.jpeg (190.3 KiB) Viewed 5153 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK: " A TOUGH GAME & GARY MADINE WAS "

Postby #1ScouseBluebird » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Gary just needs a goal now. He did all the dirty work today, a credit to this team. A NW player. Give him time, he’s hardly had a run in the team, and the goals will come. He’s a handful though, no doubt about that.
#1ScouseBluebird

Postby blue lagoon » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:04 pm

People like a scapegoat on here. Well done team for keeping the boo boys away. Plenty of bottle on show!!!
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Postby englishbluebird » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:31 pm

Madine and the Gunnar have had a lot of stick but responded in the best possible way today. Both looked solid and did their part in a MASSIVE win
"Like we give a f**k about the Carling Cup"-6Bysedd
englishbluebird

Postby Alan_in_China » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:23 am

The result was fantastic and we're all still feeling euphoric, rightly so. However, I watched the game on iFollow and for 85 minutes we were terrible!
Madine did nothing of note, for Warnock to say otherwise is just trying to justify his team selection. I'm sure Warnock played out the idea in his head before the game that Madine would soften up Norwich's defence to enable Zohore to reap the benefits later on ... nice theory but in cold reality that never happened - Madine simply didn't see enough of the ball or have any real involvement.
Midfield was anonymous, I don't think Bryson put his foot on the ball all game and Gunnarsson again looked way off the pace. NML looked threatening when one-on-one with plenty of space, but when in tight situations his close ball control was poor, as was his passing.
Losing Bamba was a blow because he had already imposed himself on the opposition ... as he nearly always does. I thought his replacement, Manga, was lackadaisical at times.
Etheridge was solid, although it has to be said Norwich lacked a real cutting edge up front and didn't really test him, nevertheless he was assured when called upon.
Hoilett still not 100% back to his best, however, he was the only player who looked likely to make something happen for us, I kept willing him to get more of the ball.
Paterson and Zohore have to start the next game but Grujic most definitely HAS to! There was a total lack of quality in our midfield play and Grujic brings that.
Alan_in_China

Postby skiprat » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:33 am

Have to agree with you . I was there and in my opinion he looked totally out of his depth at this level.but heyho I really hope he improves but I'm not seeing it at the moment.
skiprat

Postby blue lagoon » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:36 am

Trolls on here
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Postby Igovernor » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:52 am

Bloody hell what game were they watching ??????
Igovernor

Postby bluebird58 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:07 am

Alan_in_China wrote:The result was fantastic and we're all still feeling euphoric, rightly so. However, I watched the game on iFollow and for 85 minutes we were terrible!
Madine did nothing of note, for Warnock to say otherwise is just trying to justify his team selection. I'm sure Warnock played out the idea in his head before the game that Madine would soften up Norwich's defence to enable Zohore to reap the benefits later on ... nice theory but in cold reality that never happened - Madine simply didn't see enough of the ball or have any real involvement.
Midfield was anonymous, I don't think Bryson put his foot on the ball all game and Gunnarsson again looked way off the pace. NML looked threatening when one-on-one with plenty of space, but when in tight situations his close ball control was poor, as was his passing.
Losing Bamba was a blow because he had already imposed himself on the opposition ... as he nearly always does. I thought his replacement, Manga, was lackadaisical at times.
Etheridge was solid, although it has to be said Norwich lacked a real cutting edge up front and didn't really test him, nevertheless he was assured when called upon.
Hoilett still not 100% back to his best, however, he was the only player who looked likely to make something happen for us, I kept willing him to get more of the ball.
Paterson and Zohore have to start the next game but Grujic most definitely HAS to! There was a total lack of quality in our midfield play and Grujic brings that.

You’re a glass half empty person, aren’t you?! :(
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby psw78 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:12 am

Result was fantastic and just what we needed, but the performance was dreadful. Our inability to be able to successfully pass the ball is ridiculous. As I said last week, we do all of the hard work to win the ball, but then give it straight back - whilst we’ve consistently had low possession stats all season, we’ve been effective with that possession. Yesterday’s 33% combined with the lowest passing success rate of 56% in the league, meant it was always going to take something special to get a win - which duly came.

Hopefully Ralls is back next week - be good to see him and Gruic start.
psw78

Postby darran1927 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:16 am

Performances don't,matter at this stage results that matter
darran1927

Postby pontyclunblue » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:30 am

For Christs sake, performances do not matter at this stage of the season points do, we played well at Villa and lost, I couldn't care less how we played yesterday the victory was HUGE and that is all that matters.
pontyclunblue

Postby darran1927 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:33 am

pontyclunblue wrote:For Christs sake, performances do not matter at this stage of the season points do, we played well at Villa and lost, I couldn't care less how we played yesterday the victory was HUGE and that is all that matters.

Agree I'd happily take playing shit rest of the season picking up points than playing well with not as many points
darran1927

Postby ae15 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:46 am

Thing is it's easy to say performances don't matter, but it's clear to see they do, otherwise we wouldn't have only got 1 point in 9 just now, mainly down to being terrible.

Gunnarsson and Madine were shocking yesterday again, does Madine have a trampoline for a chest? Because he certainly can't stop the ball bouncing miles away from it every time.

The midfield were so slow to everything the whole game, just like against Villa.

Mendez and Hoilett were ineffectual through most of the game against two very good full backs. I was very impressed with their left back.

We didn't deserve to win yesterday. Granted we didn't deserve to lose, but had Maddison or Murphy popped up with another 25 yard screamer I wouldn't have complained it was unfair.

You can say we fight to the end to give us credit, but to be honest, it didn't look like we were trying to win the game again? Even when we scored there was a lack of urgency leading up to it. Every time Etheridge got the ball towards the end our players were slowly walking out of the penalty area, and there was no one getting up in support of the front 4 at all.

On this basis we could easily still not win any more games this season. Great win, but it only papers over the cracks for the time being in my opinion.
ae15

Postby pontyclunblue » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:54 am

Unbelievable last post, the score was 2 - 0 to Cardiff, talk about glass half empty.
pontyclunblue

Postby City Slicker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:08 am

bluebird58 wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:The result was fantastic and we're all still feeling euphoric, rightly so. However, I watched the game on iFollow and for 85 minutes we were terrible!

I agree with most of your comments Alan except for Gunnarsson. I thought he was great today but had little help in midfield. Bryson runs around a lot and is always in opponents' faces but is dire with the ball. I don't know why Damour was taken off but unless it was for injury I would have kept him on and taken Bryson off. However, there were some brilliant performances especially at the back with Morisson and Bennett. I thought they were exceptional.

I totally agree with your opinion of Madine but at this stage of the season it will be our formidable spirit what gets us through and all that matters is points. With Grujic and Ralls maybe back for the next match at home I expect our performance to get significantly better too. I just hope Warnock starts Ken this time!
City Slicker

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:30 am

ae15 wrote:Thing is it's easy to say performances don't matter, but it's clear to see they do, otherwise we wouldn't have only got 1 point in 9 just now, mainly down to being terrible.

Gunnarsson and Madine were shocking yesterday again, does Madine have a trampoline for a chest? Because he certainly can't stop the ball bouncing miles away from it every time.

The midfield were so slow to everything the whole game, just like against Villa.

Mendez and Hoilett were ineffectual through most of the game against two very good full backs. I was very impressed with their left back.

We didn't deserve to win yesterday. Granted we didn't deserve to lose, but had Maddison or Murphy popped up with another 25 yard screamer I wouldn't have complained it was unfair.

You can say we fight to the end to give us credit, but to be honest, it didn't look like we were trying to win the game again? Even when we scored there was a lack of urgency leading up to it. Every time Etheridge got the ball towards the end our players were slowly walking out of the penalty area, and there was no one getting up in support of the front 4 at all.

On this basis we could easily still not win any more games this season. Great win, but it only papers over the cracks for the time being in my opinion.

We played well against Wolves and Villa but didn't get the rub of the green, we got lucky against Norwich playing poorly.

This result was not so much papering over the cracks but the football gods just balancing things out again.
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby CF14-SE14 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:01 am

ae15 wrote:Thing is it's easy to say performances don't matter, but it's clear to see they do, otherwise we wouldn't have only got 1 point in 9 just now, mainly down to being terrible.

1 point in 9 :laughing5: :laughing5: you supporting the same team?! :roll: :banghead:
BLUEBIRDS - GLEISION
CF14-SE14

Postby Bluebina » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:03 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:

We played well against Wolves and Villa but didn't get the rub of the green, we got lucky against Norwich playing poorly.

This result was not so much papering over the cracks but the football gods just balancing things out again.

Spot on we deserved more than 3 points from the last three games and overall based on chances, have still been unlucky overall !!!
Bluebina

Postby Alan_in_China » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:27 pm

City Slicker wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:

I agree with most of your comments Alan except for Gunnarsson. I thought he was great today but had little help in midfield. Bryson runs around a lot and is always in opponents' faces but is dire with the ball. I don't know why Damour was taken off but unless it was for injury I would have kept him on and taken Bryson off. However, there were some brilliant performances especially at the back with Morisson and Bennett. I thought they were exceptional.

I totally agree with your opinion of Madine but at this stage of the season it will be our formidable spirit what gets us through and all that matters is points. With Grujic and Ralls maybe back for the next match at home I expect our performance to get significantly better too. I just hope Warnock starts Ken this time!

Damour had a picked up a yellow card a minute before half time. The way in which the home crowd were reacting to every challenge I was a bit concerned that either Damour or Peltier were going to see red. Damour has that bit of "dog" about him but he sometimes looks like he's treading a tightrope ... probably a wise decision by Warnock.
Alan_in_China

Postby Alan_in_China » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:30 pm

bluebird58 wrote:

I just prefer to be objective. :thumbup:
Alan_in_China

Postby Wolfpac » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Funny you should say that as they had a makeshift full back in Southampton loanee Harrison Reed who by all accounts had a storming game, he’s predominantly a centre midfielder
Wolfpac

Return to General Chat