Six Championship players Cardiff City should

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed May 16, 2018 6:12 am

Six Championship players Cardiff City should consider as Neil Warnock bolsters team for Premier League

By Scott Johnson

Wednesday 17th May 2018

The only thing more exciting than thinking of players your club may want to sign, is thinking of players your club may want to sign in the Premier League.

Whereas once you may have entertained that guy with the dodgy temperament, or someone on the wane, suddenly you can aim a little higher.

I don’t imagine Cardiff City will spend silly money as it’s not Neil Warnock’s style and he won’t want to rock the boat too much. The Bluebirds do need reinforcements and an injection of quality though.

Warnock hinted towards around half a dozen new arrivals, so here are six suggestions...

Abel Hernandez

With the way Cardiff play, they will need another player in the mould of Kenneth Zohore because he will not be able to do it alone. Abel Hernandez will soon see his Hull contract expire and is available on a free transfer.

The six-foot, 27-year-old Uruguayan international cost Hull £10m in 2014, back when they had a bit more spending money. Having ruptured his Achilles in August, Hernandez missed almost seven months of the season and he was sorely missed.

It was no coincidence that their form spiked when he returned and he netted five goals in five starts.

Hernandez would probably still be a £10m player on the open market, so the opportunity to pick him up for nothing should not be missed. Competition for his signature is likely to be fierce, though.

Fernando Forestieri

Similarly, Fernando Forestieri also spent seven months on the sidelines this season, as Sheffield Wednesday, just like Hull with Hernandez, were hit by his absence. A knee injury saw the mercurial Argentine front-man return for the final five games of the season and he netted four times in those games.

With the failure of the Lee Tomlin experiment, Cardiff are crying out for a little craft and finesse from a creative midfielder. Signed from Watford for around £3m in 2015, he notched up 27 goals and 11 assists in his first couple of seasons.

At 28, Forestieri, who can play anywhere up front, could provide just that and is far too good to be playing in the second tier.

Birmingham’s Jota could provide an alternative option. An extravagant £6m signing last summer, having previously impressed for Brentford, they may struggle to keep hold of him and he is also certainly capable of playing at a higher level.

Ryan Fredericks

With Hernandez and Bobby Reid, another player who may be of interest to Neil Warnock, Fredericks makes up the trio of in-demand Championship free agents this summer.

Bristol City have activated an year on Reid’s deal, presumably to cash in and make some money back. Fredericks was offered a new contract earlier in the year, but it remains unsigned with Fulham’s promotion fate still in doubt.

He is one of those rare opposing players that impresses me every time I see him. A swashbuckling right-back that tends to occupy the whole right flank, he is the best in the division in his position.

Cardiff are pretty well stocked for right-backs with Lee Peltier and Jazz Richards, but the chance to snap up Fredericks should not be ignored.

Massimo Luongo

Luongo made headlines in 2015 when he was named in the list for the prestigious Ballon d’Or award with the likes of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. This was due to him being named as the most valuable player at the Asian Cup while playing for the champions Australia.

Luongo was plying his trade in the Championship at the time, having just moved to QPR from Swindon for around £3.5m. That is where he remains, but the 25-year-old midfield enforcer’s reputation continues to grow.

He recorded the most tackles in the division last season and if Cardiff lose Aron Gunnarsson, he would represent a great replacement.

Josh Murphy

He may be playing second fiddle to James Maddison, who has had a breakthrough season in the Norwich midfield, but Murphy has just had another good campaign, reaching double figures in goals for the second consecutive year.

He is another player who has impressed against Cardiff in the past year and the 23-year-old can play on either wing. Junior Hoilett and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing were pretty much automatic first choices, but they will need some real competition in the top flight.

Murphy would provide that, as would Middlebrough’s Adama Traore, who is like a Marvel Comics version of Mendez-Laing. The former Barcelona prospect is sure to be in demand but will probably prove too expensive.

David Marshall

Look, I’m a sentimental football fan. Were Cardiff to bring back David Marshall, it would be a beautiful thing. He may be 33, but he would provide reliable cover for Neil Etheridge and Cardiff will need it when he departs to represent the Philippines at the Asian Cup in January.

Marshall surely regrets joining Hull for £4m two years ago. He fell out of favour, the manager that signed him lost his job, they were relegated and he’s hardly featured in the Championship this year.

People are not going to be queuing up to try and sign him, but we at Cardiff know how good he is.

I guess it depends how much Cardiff are looking to spend on a new goalkeeper. If they are prepared to shell out, then maybe Ipswich’s Bartosz Bialkowski, who recorded the most stops in the Championship this season, would be the way to go.

There are also a few decent free agents in that position, with Manchester United’s Sam Johnstone, Everton’s Joel Robles and Brighton’s Tim Krul heading out of contract.

Johnstone will surely be signed on a permanent deal by Aston Villa. But either way, none of those would make me feel as warm and fuzzy as a return for Marshall.
Attachments
JS128801967.jpg
JS128801967.jpg (45.43 KiB) Viewed 927 times
GettyImages-631143432.jpg
GettyImages-631143432.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Six Championship players Cardiff City should

Postby BobbyBlue » Wed May 16, 2018 6:41 am

Some good picks by there I would be happy with any one, we should make a push for Hernandez the guys got goals in him.
BobbyBlue

Postby jimmy_rat » Wed May 16, 2018 6:52 am

I'd be happy with most of them.

Although I think if we want definite starters we've got to be looking higher.
jimmy_rat

Postby Cardiff_4Ever » Wed May 16, 2018 7:01 am

Are you having a laugh about Marshall??
Cardiff_4Ever

Postby Wolfpac » Wed May 16, 2018 8:09 am

Luongo no chance he's pap was massively overpriced and overated when at Swindon, I should know I was dating his missus sister, arrogant knob as well, not one for our team.

Hernandez on his day would be a steal, Foresteri could do a job for us, gives us different opts
Wolfpac

Postby toshacks_1_tales » Wed May 16, 2018 9:11 am

Lee Evans and David Brooks from Sheffield United.
'Acronymous'

tacita plures
toshacks_1_tales

Postby paulh_85 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:38 am

not an awful list,

wouldnt take Foresteri in the premier league though/
paulh_85

Return to General Chat