David Marshall

A forum for all things Cardiff City

David Marshall

Postby Gavin » Wed May 16, 2018 7:16 am

Seen us linked with a few keepers in the transfer rumours nonsense, and im not normally one to look to bringing old players back, but we will need cover for Etheridge who deserves his shot in the PL.

Marshall would be a good backup and cover in January when Etheridge is playing internationals in the Asia cup.
Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it.
Gavin

David Marshall

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: David Marshall

Postby DEANO » Wed May 16, 2018 7:39 am

Neither are good enough we need fabianski
DEANO

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed May 16, 2018 8:57 am

Isn't he on a reported 40k a week at Hull.

A big no from me.
2blue2handle

Postby langstoneBlue » Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 am

DEANO wrote:Neither are good enough we need fabianski

I must admit I dont get all the Etheridge bashing and the clambering for Fabianski. Etheridge did great last year, if performed like that for another team we would be calling him out as a good signing.

For me we invest the money eleswhere
langstoneBlue

Postby RV Casual » Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 am

Gavin wrote:Seen us linked with a few keepers in the transfer rumours nonsense, and im not normally one to look to bringing old players back, but we will need cover for Etheridge who deserves his shot in the PL.

Marshall would be a good backup and cover in January when Etheridge is playing internationals in the Asia cup.

It's not a bad shout mate, but I doubt Marshall is going to want to be playing number 2 now, he's done it for the last 2 seasons.

Can't help but feel a bit sorry for him, it was a terrible move, teams seem to be favouring younger keepers now aswell, maybe he will end up somewhere like Sunderland or Blackburn?

Here's a random stat for you... the average age of a Premier League first choice Keeper last season was 26.

Only 7 teams had a goalkeeper over the age of 30... 2 were relegated, 3 finished in the bottom half with only Leicester (Schmeihcel 31) finishing 9th and Spurs (Lloris 31) finishing 3rd breaking the mould

Of the last 6 teams that went up from the Championship in the last two seasons only one has survived with a goalkeeper who is over 30.

Huddersfield, Brighton and Newcastle all have goalkeepers under 30, Hull and Middlesbrough both had keepers over 30 and were relegated, the exception is Burnley who had Tom Heaton who was 31.

Incidentally, having changed to a Goalkeeper under 30 this season (due to injury granted), Burnley have had their best season in 44 years and will be in Europe next year :lol:
RV Casual

Postby pembroke allan » Wed May 16, 2018 11:33 am

We are looking for a good no2 unless people think ethridge is not upto premiership as 1st choice? All names mentioned don't want to be no2s :old:
pembroke allan

Postby nubbsy » Wed May 16, 2018 11:43 am

Marshalls best days are behind him. Great memories and he's served his time here, no from me.
nubbsy

Postby fred keenor » Wed May 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Got told that DM when asked what was the difference between a championship keeper and premier league , allegedly is 20k a week :D :D
We only need a keeper as back up to Neil, really dont understand why anyone would think he needs replacing.
fred keenor

Postby llan bluebird » Wed May 16, 2018 5:41 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Gavin wrote:Seen us linked with a few keepers in the transfer rumours nonsense, and im not normally one to look to bringing old players back, but we will need cover for Etheridge who deserves his shot in the PL.

It's not a bad shout mate, but I doubt Marshall is going to want to be playing number 2 now, he's done it for the last 2 seasons.

Can't help but feel a bit sorry for him, it was a terrible move, teams seem to be favouring younger keepers now aswell, maybe he will end up somewhere like Sunderland or Blackburn?

Here's a random stat for you... the average age of a Premier League first choice Keeper last season was 26.

Only 7 teams had a goalkeeper over the age of 30... 2 were relegated, 3 finished in the bottom half with only Leicester (Schmeihcel 31) finishing 9th and Spurs (Lloris 31) finishing 3rd breaking the mould

Of the last 6 teams that went up from the Championship in the last two seasons only one has survived with a goalkeeper who is over 30.

Huddersfield, Brighton and Newcastle all have goalkeepers under 30, Hull and Middlesbrough both had keepers over 30 and were relegated, the exception is Burnley who had Tom Heaton who was 31.

Incidentally, having changed to a Goalkeeper under 30 this season (due to injury granted), Burnley have had their best season in 44 years and will be in Europe next year :lol:

Spot on :thumbup:

The championship is full of ex premier league 30+ goalies.
llan bluebird

Postby norms76 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:04 pm

What’s Etheridge done wrong then? He’s been fantastic.

f**k Fabianski.
norms76

Postby norms76 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:06 pm

langstoneBlue wrote:

I must admit I dont get all the Etheridge bashing and the clambering for Fabianski. Etheridge did great last year, if performed like that for another team we would be calling him out as a good signing.

For me we invest the money eleswhere

Totally agree, Etheridge has been fantastic for us. He deserves his chance in the PL.
norms76

Postby montyblue » Wed May 16, 2018 6:51 pm

I have just said on thread about fabianski that he is not one for sitting on the bench i would have marshall as 2nd someone who would fill in as cover and spend the money on a proven striker not a keeper and personally i think ethridge is a cracking keeper and will exel in prem and a young lad that could be with us for years not like fabianski so happy to have marshall as a reserve keeper
montyblue

Postby actionman » Wed May 16, 2018 7:03 pm

I was a bit sceptical when he first started but have changed my mind dramatically I’m glad he is our number one he was one of the main reasons we were promoted . Made saves that turned losses into draws and draws into wins.
actionman

Postby montyblue » Wed May 16, 2018 7:11 pm

He did have a dodgy start but voted him most improved player of the season i felt well comfortable with him in between the sticks i am not gay but he' s also a better looking guy than fabianski and looks the part of a prem player
montyblue

Postby salopiancity » Wed May 16, 2018 8:16 pm

Pope was in goal for Burnley most of the season not Heaton.
salopiancity

Postby RV Casual » Wed May 16, 2018 9:26 pm

salopiancity wrote:Pope was in goal for Burnley most of the season not Heaton.

Not in their first season back in the Premiership he wasn't making Burnley the exception of the last six promoted teams to survive with a goalkeeper over 30, read the post again.

Middlesbrough - Victor Valdes age 36 - 28 games - Brad Guzan age 33 - 10 games - RELEGATED
Hull City - Eldin Jakupović age - 32 - 26 games - David Mashall age 32 - 18 games - RELEGATED
Burnley - Tom Heaton age - 31 - 25 games - Paul Robinson age 37 - 3 games - SURVIVED

Newcastle - Darlow and Dubravka played 24 of their 38 games - ages 27 and 29 - SURVIVED
Brighton - Matthew Ryan - age 26 - 35 games - SURVIVED
Huddersfield - Jonas Lossl - age 29 - 40 games all competitions - SURVIVED

The point is, whilst in the past people used to say Goalkeepers peaked later in their careers the opposite is true now, top teams are going for younger Keepers, the average age of a first team keeper last season was 26 in the Premiership

We don't want a 33 year old who has just been relegated (Fabianski) or another 33 year old who has played in twice and been relegated twice from the Premiership (Marshall), neither would come cheap and IMO the squad needs strengthening more in other areas.
RV Casual

Return to General Chat