“ CARDIFF CITY CLOSE TO FOUR MORE SIGNINGS / ONE IMMINENT “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby wez1927 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Tuesday 12th June 2018

By Paul Abbandonato

Cardiff City are set to make it a double transfer swoop by landing highly-rated Preston left-back Greg Cunningham in a deal approaching £4million.

The capture of the Preston player Neil Warnock rates as amongst the finest full-backs in the Championship will follow hot on the heels of Cardiff's £11m swoop for Norwich winger Josh Murphy.

Three further Bluebirds signings should also happen quickly, one further permanent deal and two on loan for the entire 2018-19 campaign. There is also the prospect of a third loan signing, which would take the total number of newcomers this summer to six.

Warnock was always targeting a classy winger, new full-back, plus two midfield men and a back up striker to Kenneth Zohore as he plans Cardiff's Premier League campaign.

We understand talks over Cunningham are well advanced and it is a matter of dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

The move is win-win for Cardiff, Preston and the player himself, who at 27 gets the chance to shine in the Premier League.

Warnock lands a left-back he has been chasing for the best part of a year, while Preston get between £3-4m for a player who soon enters the final year of his contract and could negotiate his departure for free in January.

The capture of Cunningham may appear to some to throw a question mark over Fulham target and current Cardiff left-back Joe Bennett, who got better and better as the promotion season wore on.

However, the Bluebirds have no intention of selling Bennett and Warnock regards him as an important cog in Cardiff's Premier League planning.

Warnock needs greater strength in depth in the top flight and could rotate Bennett and Cunningham in the left-back berth, or he could also devise a way of playing the two men together in the same starting XI.

Preston were keen to offer Cunningham a new deal, but he is reluctant to put pen to paper when there is the prospect of Premier League football under Warnock.

Cunningham played twice at that level for Manchester City at the end of the 2009-10 season, but has since dropped down a division to appear for Leicester, Nottingham Forest, Bristol City and Preston.

He has won four caps for the Republic of Ireland.
Attachments
JS132376712-1-2.jpg
JS132376712-1-2.jpg (25.36 KiB) Viewed 8015 times
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: More signings to be announced any day now!

Postby kimble » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:14 pm

I thought we were only allowed 2 loan signings?
kimble

More signings to follow imminently

Postby BluebirdsTilIDie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Bluebirds boss Neil Warnock makes it a double transfer swoop after also landing £11m Josh Murphy

Cardiff City are set to make it a double transfer swoop by landing highly-rated Preston left-back Greg Cunningham in a deal approaching £4million.

The capture of the Preston player Neil Warnock rates as amongst the finest full-backs in the Championship will follow hot on the heels of Cardiff's £11m swoop for Norwich winger Josh Murphy.

Three further Bluebirds signings should also happen quickly, one further permanent deal and two on loan for the entire 2018-19 campaign. There is also the prospect of a third loan signing, which would take the total number of newcomers this summer to six.

Warnock was always targeting a classy winger, new full-back, plus two midfield men and a back up striker to Kenneth Zohore as he plans Cardiff's Premier League campaign.

We understand talks over Cunningham are well advanced and it is a matter of dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

The move is win-win for Cardiff, Preston and the player himself, who at 27 gets the chance to shine in the Premier League.

Warnock lands a left-back he has been chasing for the best part of a year, while Preston get between £3-4m for a player who soon enters the final year of his contract and could negotiate his departure for free in January.

The capture of Cunningham may appear to some to throw a question mark over Fulham target and current Cardiff left-back Joe Bennett, who got better and better as the promotion season wore on.

However, the Bluebirds have no intention of selling Bennett and Warnock regards him as an important cog in Cardiff's Premier League planning.

Warnock needs greater strength in depth in the top flight and could rotate Bennett and Cunningham in the left-back berth, or he could also devise a way of playing the two men together in the same starting XI.

Preston were keen to offer Cunningham a new deal, but he is reluctant to put pen to paper when there is the prospect of Premier League football under Warnock.

Cunningham played twice at that level for Manchester City at the end of the 2009-10 season, but has since dropped down a division to appear for Leicester, Nottingham Forest, Bristol City and Preston.
BluebirdsTilIDie

Re: “ CARDIFF CITY CLOSE TO FOUR MORE SIGNINGS / ONE IMMINEN

Postby corky » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:20 pm

not certain but it maybe only two from the same club/team allowed
new season,new start
corky

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:21 pm

wez1927 wrote:Tuesday 12th June 2018

By Paul Abbandonato

He has won four caps for the Republic of Ireland.

Nice one Neil these are the type of signings we should be targeting. Also using the loan market is a clever move NW top man :ayatollah:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby wez1927 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:21 pm

kimble wrote:I thought we were only allowed 2 loan signings?

2 from premiership clubs
wez1927

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:22 pm

kimble wrote:I thought we were only allowed 2 loan signings?

Maximum of two loan players registered at the same time, and a maximum of four over the course of a season. But this rule only applies to players loaned from clubs in the English pyramid.

Can only assume that at least of the proposed loan signings will be from abroad.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Re: More signings to follow imminently

Postby BluebirdsTilIDie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:22 pm

preston views on cunningham.. they rate him massively and say hes already a premierleague player.

http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthr ... Cunningham
BluebirdsTilIDie

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Not surprised that Cunningham is being brought in. Warnock has been a fan for a while.

Good to see that we’ll be bringing more in imminently, and I expect it’s players that haven’t been rumoured.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:29 pm

Would be great to compete with Bennett.
2blue2handle

Postby 65Blue » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:29 pm

Always thought it would make sense to sign top championship players who NW will know well and wages would be in a sensible price range, we are not going to go for current Premiership players on £60k a week. Most of us are waiting for the midfielders we are desperate for.
65Blue

Postby langstoneBlue » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:37 pm

Great player and good price, although I thought Right Back would have been a higher priority
langstoneBlue

Postby BluebirdsTilIDie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:46 pm

langstoneBlue wrote:Great player and good price, although I thought Right Back would have been a higher priority

I’m sure there on the case however this obviously came up st the right time
BluebirdsTilIDie

Postby boyo1927 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:54 pm

Sensible signings these. Reasonable wages and strong championship players in case
boyo1927

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:58 pm

Very good.

Ryan woods and elmohamady next please
paulh_85

Postby Wayne S » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Preston fans rave about him and the consensus is that it's a good deal for both clubs.

Side bar - did not know Peter Ridsdale was still at Preston let alone still in football.

http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthr ... ham/page15
Wayne S

Postby streamfeeder » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Loans signings are two allowed from the premier league but not from the same club, then you can have foreign Loans, not sure on the limit but I think you can only have two loans in a match day squad
streamfeeder

Postby wez1927 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Who do you think the loans are ??
wez1927

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:39 pm

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
langstoneBlue wrote:Great player and good price, although I thought Right Back would have been a higher priority

Maybe Warnock feels confident enough in Jazz Richards as first choice and Peltier as back up. I reckon if Jazz could stay fit he would be a decent prem Full back but he needs to sort his injury issues out and have a good pre-season.
Bluebird Warrior

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:

Maybe Warnock feels confident enough in Jazz Richards as first choice and Peltier as back up. I reckon if Jazz could stay fit he would be a decent prem Full back but he needs to sort his injury issues out and have a good pre-season.

I'd be amazed if we don't sign a right back as well. Tbh I don't think he has much faith in Richards being fit, neither do I.
2blue2handle

Postby BluebirdsTilIDie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:55 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Bluebird Warrior wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:

I'd be amazed if we don't sign a right back as well. Tbh I don't think he has much faith in Richards being fit, neither do I.

A rb is defo a priority
BluebirdsTilIDie

Postby kimble » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Grujic or ..Snodgrass..I would not of thought both of those maybe a striker
kimble

Postby Bakedalasker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Who is the backup striker?
Bakedalasker

Postby Madlock » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Ryan Woods and Abel Hernandez please, Neil
Madlock

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Madlock wrote:Ryan Woods and Abel Hernandez please, Neil

Would like Hernandez but I’m sure he’s wouldn’t be a back up striker to Zohore.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby #1ScouseBluebird » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:43 pm

I agree about RB but perhaps neil thinks he’s got enough cover with bruno, pelts and jazz?

Excited to see central midfield signings....if Gunnar signs a new contract will we still bring 2 in? Grujic? Bryson? I like Ryan Woods and George Saville. The Josh Windass link has gone quiet. Think NW will be looking for a midfield general surely.
#1ScouseBluebird

Postby #1ScouseBluebird » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:44 pm

I agree about RB but perhaps neil thinks he’s got enough cover with bruno, pelts and jazz?

Excited to see central midfield signings....if Gunnar signs a new contract will we still bring 2 in? Grujic? Bryson? I like Ryan Woods and George Saville. The Josh Windass link has gone quiet. Think NW will be looking for a midfield general surely.
#1ScouseBluebird

Postby CityBlue93 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:16 pm

#1ScouseBluebird wrote:I agree about RB but perhaps neil thinks he’s got enough cover with bruno, pelts and jazz?

Bruno at RB in the prem would cost us about 3 goals per game, hope it doesnt come to that
CityBlue93

Postby FloridaBluebird » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:00 am

I like Bruno, but he is a natural Center back. He’s arguably the best ball playing center back we have. He filled a gap at RB this past season but it won’t work in Prem. Pelts is a tough tackler and well liked member of the squad (Warnock’s Don Cowie I fear). For all his positives, Pelts lacks pace, against quicker championship wingers he was left wandering or getting a yellow card for his efforts. This is the Premier League and that lack of pace will be exposed every week. Jazz, I like. He’s never really stayed fit enough or injury free to command the position yet but I think he’d be great cover in that role. He has pace, he’s comfortable on the ball but Warnock always favours the tougher tacklers ahead of him.
Say Cunningham becomes official tomorrow - that’s outstanding competition at LB. Personally RB and CMs was where the club had the biggest issues last year and so I hope the remaining signings address that. Time will tell I suppose
FloridaBluebird

Postby blemmy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:18 pm

CityBlue93 wrote:
#1ScouseBluebird wrote:I agree about RB but perhaps neil thinks he’s got enough cover with bruno, pelts and jazz?

Bruno at RB in the prem would cost us about 3 goals per game, hope it doesnt come to that

I agree - not good enough at RB even for the Championship - he had a few 'mares' in that position.
Clearly nowhere near being a RB in the Prem IMHO!!

:bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf:
blemmy

Next

Return to General Chat