Tham Luang cave rescue begins

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:39 am

An entire football team and their coach have been trapped deep inside a cave for over 2 weeks is Thailand. They were found and all ok apart from starving by top SEAL divers in the world last week but getting them out has proved impossible due to the complex tiny passageways which are now water logged. They have been taken care of since by the Seals. They are now starting a huge rescue mission to bring them out one by one but each boy could take 6-7 hours from cave to outside! :shock: this includes approx 4hours of diving. The SEALS have found it difficult themselves as advance divers but they now have no choice but to get the boys out as monsoon rainfall is due and it would flood the entire cave.

The reason the boys got trapped in the first place is that they went in to explore in the caves for a few hours but in the mean time a huge rainfall occurred and flooded the caves forcing the boys dead per into the cave. They were found on a small ledge. They have been invited to the World Cup final but I e pact they may not be fit enough to go in time. They boys are approx 12-16 years old and their coach 25. I have been following the story since they disappeared and felt so happy when they had been found BUT what followed was the anxiety of how to get them out. They are literally still wearing football kits following a training session. Poor boys hope all get out ok and the divers too.

P.s. the above is my own take on what’s happened and what I’ve read.
Once a blue always a blue44

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Tham Luang cave rescue begins

Postby keanoswinklepickers » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:52 am

I know a lad who dives and he said one of the top cave divers in the world is assisting. He's had a text saying it is a very difficult situation apparently 1 1/2 miles in pitch darkness and awkward tunnels to get to them and these boys will have had no cave diving experience and panic/fear to deal with in trying to get them out. Pray they all get out out safe.
keanoswinklepickers

Postby NIBluebird » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:05 am

Absolutely agree my prayers are with them.

Must be awful for the kids , two weeks is a long time .

Parents must be driven mad too.

It's a race against time .

I pray that theyll all be rescued safely.

They'll have diving equipment and breathing apparatus a d I'm sure all given training through communication but this isn't easy
NIBluebird

Postby NIBluebird » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:18 am

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... g-10509950

Watch the video. Good news but it'll take days
NIBluebird

Postby tonyinthai » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:08 pm

Unconfirmed news coming out here on Thai tv is that 2 boys have reached safety so far But as yet unconfirmed
tonyinthai

Postby tonyinthai » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Now a 3rd boy has reached safety still unconfirmed by authorities expected if all goes well all should be out by 9 00 pm Thai time that is 3 pm UK time
tonyinthai

Postby tonyinthai » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Thai TV now stating 4 boys out but they are basing this on the number of ambulances that have left the site.
No indication as to the health of the boys but it really is good that they have reached as it started at 10
00 am Thai time ( 4.00 am UK time) No official comment is expected until at least 9.00 op Thai time
tonyinthai

Postby tonyinthai » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Now reporting that 6 appear to be out of the cave system and the remaining 7 are at level 3 which is the last major difficult part of the rescue. This is a very dangerous cave to have to dive in as in fact 1 experienced Navy Seal diver lost his life due to lack of oxygen in the cave on Thursday helping to prepare the caverns for the rescue.
Each boy has an experienced Cave diver and a Thai Navy Seal with him during the 9 hour rescue so they are in good hands.
tonyinthai

Postby tonyinthai » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Now confirmed that 6 boys have exited the cave system and are in hospital for routine check ups. No further news on the 7 who have yet to clear a dangerous part of the caverns. Weather is turning a little and monsoons are expected tomorrow in that area of Thailand.
tonyinthai

Postby Jimmy Scoular » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:23 pm

Bravest of the brave. All those involved should have a pension for life from Thailand.The two Brits who found the boys are too modest and shun publicity incredible human beings.
Jimmy Scoular

Postby tonyinthai » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:23 pm

The official briefing has just happened and it is not as good as the TV reported earlier. Only 4 boys have come out the remaining 9 are still in the caverns. The 4 boys that are out were the strongest boys in the 13. It is uncertain what they will be able to do this evening but they are worried about the weather forecasts for tomorrow. Not very clear at the moment .
tonyinthai

Postby tonyinthai » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:51 pm

The latest official briefing has stated that the divers need to replenish the oxygen supply along the route where they are above the water levels. I believe the total distance from where the boys are to the cave entrance is 7 kilometers and the distance to clear the flooded caverns is 5 kilometers then a 2 kilometer walk.
There are 3 main caverns where they have to dive and these are where the most danger is . The first diver is also carrying the air tank for the boy as the boys are not strong enough .It is going to be a long night for them and hoping that the weather stays ok also
tonyinthai

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:25 pm

4 have made it out and are in hospital .

They need another 10 hrs to prepare for the next operation .
TopCat CCFC

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:03 pm

Thank goodness 4 of the boys are out, they must be so brave and so much credit is owed to the SEAL divers. Praying that all the other get out safely. It would be amazing if the boys and the SEALS etc were able to take up the invitation to the World Cup final. Obviously it’s more important that they recover and are well so may come around abit too soon for that. To think a week ago they didn’t even know where they were or if they were alive. It’s still remains a very dangerous rescue mission and really hope they are all out by tomorrow night.

I think it’s the long term help that the boys will need more than physical short term care. But hopefully they will get this and will be a happy ending.
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby ThomasC » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:20 pm

Jimmy Scoular wrote:Bravest of the brave. All those involved should have a pension for life from Thailand.The two Brits who found the boys are too modest and shun publicity incredible human beings.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
ThomasC

Postby darran1927 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:Thank goodness 4 of the boys are out, they must be so brave and so much credit is owed to the SEAL divers. Praying that all the other get out safely. It would be amazing if the boys and the SEALS etc were able to take up the invitation to the World Cup final. Obviously it’s more important that they recover and are well so may come around abit too soon for that. To think a week ago they didn’t even know where they were or if they were alive. It’s still remains a very dangerous rescue mission and really hope they are all out by tomorrow night.

I think it’s the long term help that the boys will need more than physical short term care. But hopefully they will get this and will be a happy ending.

Not sure if their parents would want them going after not seeing them for couple of weeks
darran1927

Postby tonyinthai » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:30 am

There are 7 highly experienced cave divers from the UK here now and 4 support non divers together with experienced divers from US Aus and France. The Thai Navy Seals are used mainly as support providing replacement oxygen , maintaining communications without the Seals this would not be possible but it is the cave divers who have the difficult task of bringing the boys out.
After the dreadful misleading communications from yesterday it is confirmed now that 4 boys are out and the remaining 9 are still in the cave where they were found.
No further news yet 10.00am here
tonyinthai

Postby tonyinthai » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:24 am

4 more boys rescued now on the 2 kilometer walk to the entrance
tonyinthai

Postby tonyinthai » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:16 am

The first boy today has been taken by helicopter to hospital and a second boy is stated to have reached the entrance.

That is 6 boys out and just 2 now walking to the entrance
tonyinthai

Postby tonyinthai » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:00 pm

reports that 7th boy now out
tonyinthai

Postby tonyinthai » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:45 pm

8Th boy carried out on stretcher and airlifted to hospital
tonyinthai

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:55 pm

How many are actually in the cave?
2blue2handle

Postby tonyinthai » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:07 pm

4 boys and the assistant coach together with support personnel doctors

They are expecting to get them out tomorrow but the Thai Navy Seals have to get more oxygen into the caves that are blocked by water in the access areas. This takes a long time also replenish the air in the tanks for the divers and boys to use. This is an incredible job with apparently over 100 tanks required to be supplied.

The cave divers are also exhausted but more have arrived . There are 7 expert top cave divers there from the UK also from many countries but all the UK divers I believe have previous knowledge of this cave

Just hope they get the remainder out tomorrow.
tonyinthai

Postby tonyinthai » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:18 am

Divers entered the cave 2 hours ago to bring out the remaining 4 boys, coach and support doctors
tonyinthai

Postby tonyinthai » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:37 am

Just reported that 9 ambulances have arrived at the site for the 4 boys 1 coach 3 Thai navy seals and 1 doctor.

Just hope they all emerge OK
tonyinthai

Postby tonyinthai » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:39 am

All are now on their way out of the cave

Fantastic news
tonyinthai

Postby tonyinthai » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:50 am

The 9 th boy is now out and the tenth almost at the entrance

All have cleared the dangerous area and are now just walking to the entrance 2 kilomters
tonyinthai

Postby Igovernor » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:01 am

I cannot believe how brave the boys are and all the rescuers are, if i was in their position, I would be scared out of my mind, I hope the remaining boys and the coach get out safely, and my thoughts would be for the family of the poor diver that died, rip.
Igovernor

Postby tonyinthai » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:12 am

Yes when you think these boys could not even swim and yet they managed to squeeze through a 15 inch gap under water with the air bottle held by their individual cave diver. The cave divers held the bottle fot the boys for the entire time so that the boys would not get over exhausted during the 3 main dives.

Brilliant work by the divers,the navy seals and especially the boys who could so easily have panicked.

Excellent all round and so many nationalities involved
tonyinthai

Postby Charlie Harper » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:38 pm

Superb news and I have to say those divers deserve some credit whilst those bots have more bottle than I have
Mad bad and dangerous to know
Charlie Harper

Next

Return to General Chat