Supporting England is the same as supporting Swansea

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby tcblue » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:31 pm

Both are our biggest rivals, so why support them?

English club teams sing ‘god save the queen’ at us every week for the same reason Swansea sing ‘swim away’ - to bait us as they assume this is the worst thing they think they can chant at us. Their logic, not mine.

Those who say England aren’t our rivals are trying to run a different agenda. If England aren’t, who are?

Anyway, for those of you who like to see the ‘home’/ ‘British’ team score goals against ‘foreigners’, enjoy this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NI8jRECLDN8
tcblue

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Supporting England is the same as supporting Swansea

Postby skiprat » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Correct the Swansea scum fly the same flags as England sycophantic wankers.
skiprat

Postby eddiep » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Fully agree

Rivals

If british are supposed to sypport each other
Then why doesnt the national news provide same
Level of coverage?

I asked my misses if tv was like this wgen wales got to semis in euros - only welsh tv she said

All the uk have regional news and programmes
Yet national programnes are only england orientated.
Ive got no problem. With english peopke supporting their team
But we have our own

Cant imagine welsh arguing over facebook about supporting
n ireland in a tournament.
So why the fuss over england?

FtE
you reap what you sow
eddiep

Postby BobbyBlue » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:38 pm

What if someone’s Mrs is English? I don’t see anything wrong with cheering england in football as their not our rivals, they are head and shoulders above us way better, we will never ever even be at their level, they had a bad euros that’s about it. In rugby I hate England as their out rivals I never want them to win, don’t giv two shits in football. If there’s a a cardiff player playing for England I’ll cheer him.

To compare them to Swansea doesn’t wash with me, Swansea are the scum of the earth, rats.
BobbyBlue

Postby blue for you » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 pm

Hate them both to be honest so I have to agree with you.
The brainwashed wenglish will soon jump to the defence of england. English fans never support the welsh even though a few posts of “my mate is english and he wanted wales to do well in the euros” will appear.
Baffles me how anyone could support a country that totally despises everything about us.
Despise them
Just because I'm paranoid it doesn't mean they're not talking about me
blue for you

Postby CF23 Bluebird » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Having worked in Bristol for the last 13 years you wouldn't find them wanting Wales or Cardiff to do well. Most of them hate us
CF23 Bluebird

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:15 pm

Disagree but I’m bored of listening to the arguments on both sides if I’m being honest.

I hope England win the World Cup. Most disagree with me, and they’re entitled to that view.

But that’s my view.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby #1ScouseBluebird » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:29 pm

No it’s not
#1ScouseBluebird

Postby Fairblue27 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:30 pm

I always support the British & Irish sides in International football competition. I enjoy the rivalry and banter with the English and with some clubs it's more intense than others.
However England v Argentina after the Falklands war put things into perspective for me.
I suppose it comes down to whether you identify as British first or Welsh.
Fairblue27

Postby Bay Blue » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Any of the Irish sides or Scotland I could get behind but not England, that’s a step to far for me.
Bay Blue

Postby welshrarebit » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:32 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Disagree but I’m bored of listening to the arguments on both sides if I’m being honest.

I hope England win the World Cup. Most disagree with me, and they’re entitled to that view.

But that’s my view.

I don’t disagree. I don’t hate anyone English. They are some of my closest friends and family. Outside die hard club fans most English people I know DO like wales to do well and are rather bemused by hostility. Let’s be honest. England will play 2 games. One against Croatia. One against France or Belgium. I have a great deal more in common with anyone English. If anyone doesn’t like that. Well. It’s a free world I guess! My supporting England won’t be affecting your life! :-)
welshrarebit

Postby Llan_Blue » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:02 pm

No it’s not
Llan_Blue

Postby Blueboys1927 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:33 pm

tcblue wrote:Both are our biggest rivals, so why support them?

English club teams sing ‘god save the queen’ at us every week for the same reason Swansea sing ‘swim away’ - to bait us as they assume this is the worst thing they think they can chant at us. Their logic, not mine.

Those who say England aren’t our rivals are trying to run a different agenda. If England aren’t, who are?

Anyway, for those of you who like to see the ‘home’/ ‘British’ team score goals against ‘foreigners’, enjoy this:

Never really understand why they sing GSTQ to us as it’s the British National anthem and we are all British according to your passport :bluebird:
Blueboys1927

RSupporting England is the same as supporting Swansea

Postby Nickoblue23 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:49 pm

To he honest I think it's how the English fans act. Everyone loved the Irish and Welsh in France. It's because we go for a party. Those Amsterdam videos summed them up. Throwing beer, pee and bikes at random people on a boat trip. Now I know you can't tarnish every England fan the same but it definietly leaves an impression. Smash up a first response car because they've won a game was all over the news. It just automatically makes you dislike them. I can't remember Cardiff getting trashed durring the Euros.

In the same way the Belgian fans were amazing. Even gave us a guard of honour when we left the ground!! That impression for me meant I supported them in this world cup.

If you go around being all cocky when you've only played 1 decent team so far, and lost then people will want to see you fail. If you're going around showing no respect then people will also want you to fail.

Everything's gone their way so far so they'll probs win it!! I'm sure we'll be reminded about it for a few seasons if they do!!
Nickoblue23

Postby WelshPatriot » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:03 am

I'm Welsh not British. British is not something identify with.

Based on that I won't be supporting England, much like the Portuguese wouldn't support the Spanish, the Polish wouldn't support the Russians, USA/Canada etc.

I am goaded on social media because I work with English colleagues who seem more obsessed with getting one over the Welsh than actually winning the world cup.

Weekends during the football season we get antiwelsh chants aimed at us, not long ago the English mobbed up to attack Welsh supporters in Manchester, club games away are attack a taff affair.

Nah not me.
WelshPatriot

Postby stephendavid » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 am

WelshPatriot wrote:I'm Welsh not British. British is not something identify with.

Based on that I won't be supporting England, much like the Portuguese wouldn't support the Spanish, the Polish wouldn't support the Russians, USA/Canada etc.

I am goaded on social media because I work with English colleagues who seem more obsessed with getting one over the Welsh than actually winning the world cup.

Weekends during the football season we get antiwelsh chants aimed at us, not long ago the English mobbed up to attack Welsh supporters in Manchester, club games away are attack a taff affair.

Nah not me.

Spot on fella
stephendavid

Postby montyblue » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:22 am

The divers that rescued the kids underground where english not british when it suits and sticking an england shirt on one of the rescued kids ffs, can you really ever see england media getting behind scotland if they ever got this far in a cup they are always asking us to get behind them " why" not our country.
montyblue

Postby AfricanBluebird » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:33 am

WelshPatriot wrote:I'm Welsh not British. British is not something identify with.

Nah not me.

I don't identify with being British either.

However.... there are many City fans who are English: their parents moved to Cardiff when they were young; they were born and lived in England before moving to Cardiff; they came to work or study and stayed in Cardiff; they married Welsh girls / have kids..etc

Cardiff is a pretty diverse city and economics and education often dictate a fair bit of migration leaving the Cardiff population quite a mixed bag. All are welcome and I hold no grudges when city fans support England or any other international team they are connected with somehow. Nationality and national identity is much more transient these days and we need to accept that.

Most I have met that fall into that category are happy for Wales do well as they support a Welsh team.

What I struggle with though is Welsh people wholeheartedly supporting England.

While this English group of players are quite likeable compared to the old guard like Terry and Hart (two of the most egotistical and arrogant men in football), I really hope they get beaten by Croatia.

I watched the Euros with a number of English people. Very few of them wanted Wales to do well or were happy we got to the semis and I was fine with that.
AfricanBluebird

Postby AfricanBluebird » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Disagree but I’m bored of listening to the arguments on both sides if I’m being honest.

But that’s my view.

I have quite a few friends who are English and support city and I will be happy for them if England win, although personally I hope they don't !!!

All have different views and reasons for wanting ro not wanting England to win.

Each to their own.
AfricanBluebird

Postby AfricanBluebird » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 am

tcblue wrote:Both are our biggest rivals, so why support them?

It's not the same.

Personally I hope England lose but we have to acknowledge a city such of cardiff is made up of such a diverse population that it is wrong to say no one supporting Cardiff shouldn't support England. We have a lot of English people supporting city for reasons I stated in another post.

Club football is very different from international football.

I'd rather England win the world cup than Swansea win the premier league.

I'd rather Swansea crash down the divisions than England fail to qualify for the next international competition.
AfricanBluebird

Postby Flyingpostman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:57 am

CF23 Bluebird wrote:Having worked in Bristol for the last 13 years you wouldn't find them wanting Wales or Cardiff to do well. Most of them hate us

Yup , spot on , even though the border is 20 miles or so away they absolutely despise the Welsh .

Want to see Croatia smash them this evening
Flyingpostman

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:43 am

Pointless Post as I do not not give a toss what Swansea or England do...One Club One Country. :bluebird:
1980s Bluebird

Postby blue lagoon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:12 am

Welsh and British. God save the Queen is not their anthem. People fight for queen and country under the union jack :thumbup:
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Postby englishbluebird » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:36 am

I lived in North England for 27 years and to be honest didn't hear a bad word said about the Welsh. Englands main football rivals have always been Scotland, Germany and Argentina, Plenty of mates have been giving out plenty of banter to me and that's absolutealy fine, When people go into politics etc and take things too seriously then it all gets a bit too silly to be honest
"Like we give a f**k about the Carling Cup"-6Bysedd
englishbluebird

Postby City Slicker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:41 am

blue lagoon wrote:Welsh and British. God save the Queen is not their anthem. People fight for queen and country under the union jack :thumbup:

Agree I wish they would've use that anthem for English matches, it's for the whole country as much as I despise it and, ironically, prefer the English anthem, Jerusalem.
City Slicker

Postby Flyingpostman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:44 am

blue lagoon wrote:Welsh and British. God save the Queen is not their anthem. People fight for queen and country under the union jack :thumbup:

Proud to be British but prouder to be Welsh .

Have enjoyed seeing them go this far but don't want them to get to the final as it will be unbearable .
Flyingpostman

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:53 pm

Tottaly agree with this, even though I am a proud Welshman.

Having witnessed English mates return home with Union Jacks on their coffins, I’d find it hard to be anti-English.

I’m proud to be Welsh and British. :thumbup:
103 Barmy Army

Return to General Chat