Last years team and your ultimate Cardiff 11

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Flyingpostman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Who out of last years promotion squad if any would make your ultimate Cardiff 11 ?
Flyingpostman

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Last years team and your ultimate Cardiff 11

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:53 pm

Good question and the only one I can think of is maybe Bennett.
2blue2handle

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Morrison and Bamba
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Flyingpostman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:33 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Morrison and Bamba

Got to agree that Morrison would be the only one for me . That away game against Hull. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Flyingpostman

Postby phildavies » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Making a Cardiff XI from players of my era I think only Hoilett would make it though maybe the CB’s too but we have had some good ones TBH.
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby Savigma » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:00 pm

Since I've only really been into football since 2013, starting from the second half of the promotion season. I'm 24 but yeah I was never into football before I started going to Cardiff games. So my 11 would be really limited but I guess it might be interesting for you lot to see what I think of a starting 11 for a "newby". I'm going to go with a 4-3-3 (Last seasons formation) to go through the players

Goalkeeper: (I never rated Marshall as highly as most of what I see on this forum, for every worldy save you guys said he made I saw 3 mistakes).I would have to choose Etheridge, nobody can really come close other than maybe Allan Mcgregor for his consistency...but Final Answer Etheridge so far.

Left Back: Has to be Joe Bennett, but maybe a year ago I would have said Fabio.

Center Back: Sean Morrisson

Center Back: Sol Bamba (But It's really close between him and Manga)

Right Back: I was always a fan of Theophile Caterin, I think he was under rated myself, but I can't possibly say him considering the time he was with us and his stats probably don't show him in a good light, so I'd have to go with Lee Peltier, but again tempted to say Fabio again since he did play there. Final answer Peltier

Center Mid: Joe Ralls, just think he's as consistent of a player that I have seen for Cardiff. I can't say much about Whittingham before 2013, but from a non biased huge fan of Cardiff from 2013 to now, I can honestly say Whittingham would be nowhere near my 11 (Just from my experience watching him between 2013-2017) because he often made mistakes, I didn't rate his passing during this time period as well as some of you did, and he was slow in midfield and often a slow thinker too and would be dispossed very easily, also very useless and lazy defending.

2nd Center Mid: I have to go with Gary medel. Only with us for one season but he was so consistent, in midfield consistency is what you need so that's why I went for Ralls too. Thing is with Medel though was that, although Ralls is consistent in the simple stuff and basics, Gary Medel was consistent with his reading of the game that you just can't teach, most of his challenges were so effortless and he won the ball often without having to go to ground. It's always nice to see slide tackles but he seemed to always win the ball and immediately make a quick smart pass to a creative player to start the counter. He was a very smart player for us.

Attacking Midfielder: I've always had a soft spot for Matts Daehli I can't lie, I enjoyed watching him and thought his vision was exceptional for his age. Also a shout out for Jordan Mutch too, but as good as he was for us I feel like Bluebirds over rated him just for that last minute screamer to win the game for us against Fulham (Which I had the privilage to watch). However, the midfielder I have to go with is Kim Bo Kyung, I thought he was one of our stand out performers for us in the Premiership especially. I accept there's not much to go off as far as the premiership but as much as the Man City win is talked about, I'm suprised nobody ever mentioned Kim bo's last minute header to draw against Manchester United. That was huge and felt like a win at the time. I loved Kim.

Left Wing: Sammy Ameobi (I'm joking). But seriously, It has to be Junior Hoilett. Don't need to say anything about that.

Right Wing: This is a toughy, because there's about 3 players for this position since 2013. I could go with Noone, Anthony Pilkington (Even though he sort of developed into a striker more recently) or Mendez-Laing. I really really wanted to say Noone because for a while he was my favoruite, but when we got relegated he gradually got slower, more mistake prone, and generally more of a liablity than anything. He would lose the ball in silly positions and we would concede OFTEN because of him, but I admit that only happened after the 2015 season. I have always rooted for Noone but he always let me down. I still have a big place for him in my heart (lol) but maybe due to not that many options for this position and purely just because he scored some big goals for us last season and helped us get promotion, I have to say Mendez-Laing.

Striker: Again, I want to re-iterate I have only supported Cardiff since the late '12/'13 season so I don't have loads to pick from. I have always been a huge fan of Kenwyne Jones so he isn't far behind being my favourite. Again, I have a soft spot for Pilkington too, but it has to be Kenneth Zohore, partly because of his potential too but even if he doesn't do anything else, he has still played a huge part in the last 2 seasons for us.

That's my 11. Sorry for writing an essay.
Savigma

Postby tonythomas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:04 pm

My Ultimate 11 from the players I've seen.

1) Marshall
2) Gabbidon
3) Legg
4) Dwyer
5) Young
6) Buchanan
7) Curtis
8) Kavanagh
9) Chopra
10) Earnshaw
11) Whittingham

I couldn't honestly put any of last year's team above these at their peak, but the closest I would say would be Bennett and Hoilett.
tonythomas

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:33 am

1. Etheridge
2. Gunter
3. J. Bennett
4. Morrison
5. Bamba

6. Jason Koumas
7. Kav
8. Aaron Ramsey

10. Jobi McAnuff
9. Jay bothroyd
11. Junior Hoilett

There's many more I could put in but these are the players I enjoyed watching the most even if for a short period. :ayatollah:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Flyingpostman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:09 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:1. Etheridge
2. Gunter
3. J. Bennett
4. Morrison
5. Bamba

6. Jason Koumas
7. Kav
8. Aaron Ramsey

10. Jobi McAnuff
9. Jay bothroyd
11. Junior Hoilett

There's many more I could put in but these are the players I enjoyed watching the most even if for a short period. :ayatollah:

Wish McAnuff had stayed longer
Flyingpostman

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:12 am

Flyingpostman wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:1. Etheridge
2. Gunter
3. J. Bennett
4. Morrison
5. Bamba

6. Jason Koumas
7. Kav
8. Aaron Ramsey

10. Jobi McAnuff
9. Jay bothroyd
11. Junior Hoilett

Wish McAnuff had stayed longer

Brilliant wasn't he. I believe Julian Gray played at the same time?
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby chippy909 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:49 am

Marshall

Mcnaughton
Johnson
Morrison

Ledley
Ramsey
Bellamy
Kavanagh
Koumas

Chopra
Earnshaw
Copyright. Millichip & Co Ltd
chippy909

Postby BasselegBlue » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:32 am

Tough choice....

Some very good players but will pick based on those who were at their peak form for us.

Had to leave out the likes of Carl Muggleton and Kyle Lightbourne to name a few but my all time XI would be:

1. Marshall - need I say more, the promotion and premier league season were his best. Would have been down a lot earlier if not for him

2. Delaney - signed from Welsh league and got a move to a premier league side after a season with us. Scored one of the best goals I've seen live against Chester in the cup.

3. Legg - love a good long throw and he was the master of them. Gave 100% every game even after he had an affinity with the jacks. Also played against QPR in the play off final. What a day.

4. Morrison - After a shaky start, he has gotten better and better with each season. Warnock brings out the best of him. Massive threat from set pieces. Can tell he loves this club as well.

5. Roger Johnson - that goal celebration against PNE. Part of our FA cup runners up squad.

6. Ledley - nothing like a homegrown talent coming through into the first team. Didn't look out of place from word go. I know he mainly played left wing but also did a great job as a centre midfielder for us. (Gary O'Neil very close second)

7. Whittingham - Guy was utter class in his prime. Part of our Fa cup, league cup and play off final losing squads. To say I've seen City play in all 3 at 26 years of age is something I never thought I'd say. He was a huge part of those runs.

8. Koumas - what a season he had. Shame we didn't get the same Koumas a few years later.

9. Bothroyd - what we all want Zohore to be. Had it in him to be a match winner. Scored some great goals for us (QPR at home) spent a lot of time on the floor. But will always remember when he took an elbow from scumbag Tate to knock it down for chop she to equalise, finally went on to win our first derby in what seemed like forever.

10. Earnshaw - loved watching him on the bob bank terrace. Goals goals goals. Was gutted when he went to WBA. Probably how the older me,bears felt after Toshack left.

11. Chopra - always a goal in him. Demons got the best of him in the end but hat hat trick against Leicester, the last minute winner against the jacks. Plenty more great moments from him as well.
BasselegBlue

Return to General Chat