Best place to live???

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Best place to live???

Postby rossblue » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi all.

In the not too distant future me and my family are looking to move to the Cardiff area. I'm a student at the moment but am half way through my course.

Can anyone please advise us on where would be best to buy. Within half an hour of Cardiff. Needs to be near hospitals as I will be a registered nurse soon. And my Mrs is a chef so need to find her something too.

Just putting some feelers out but pontypridd is out of the question for us. Nothing against the area but there is someone who lives there whom we don't want to encounter.

Thanks in advance
rossblue

Best place to live???

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Best place to live???

Postby Sven » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:50 pm

rossblue wrote:Hi all.

In the not too distant future me and my family are looking to move to the Cardiff area. I'm a student at the moment but am half way through my course.

Can anyone please advise us on where would be best to buy. Within half an hour of Cardiff. Needs to be near hospitals as I will be a registered nurse soon. And my Mrs is a chef so need to find her something too.

Just putting some feelers out but pontypridd is out of the question for us. Nothing against the area but there is someone who lives there whom we don't want to encounter.

Thanks in advance

Thomastown and Tonyrefail will throw up some nice houses with decent prices and accessibility to Cardiff and the M4

Royal Glamorgan Hospital is large on the doorstep and some decent schools (including a new one going up) too. These would offer decent job opportunities for she who must be obeyed :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Milkybarkid » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:51 pm

Thanks in advance

Abergavenny is a great place Close to many hospitals and a real foodie place so lots of work for chefs. Plenty of city fans as well I would say closer to 40 mins to Cardiff but have done it in 30 mins
Milkybarkid

Postby thomasblue » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:57 pm

It would depend on your budget

Average place on the outskirts maybe tongwynlais/radyr/creigau

Bit more up market maybe Penarth

Barry not to far away either
thomasblue

Postby avondaleblue » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:13 pm

Come to Grangetown we are very friendly people :o
avondaleblue

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:14 pm

Penarth - voted the best place to live in Wales, very expensive though and probably beyond a student.
Barry - one of the worst.
Grangetown - just no.
:lol:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:17 pm

Thanks in advance

pontypridd should be out of the question because its a shit hole :lol:

when you say it needs to be near a hospital, you have no guarentee where you might be based do you?

if so then someone close to decent transport links (A470/m4) might be your best bet.

oh course, theres about 4000 new houses going up in west cardiff at the moment if your looking next year
paulh_85

Postby rossblue » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Thank you everybody.

We won't be moving for 2 years. I'm studying in worcester and it's too far.

I don't need to be in a town with a hospital but within reasonable commuting distance.
rossblue

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Tongwynlais is perfect. The village feel yet only ten mins on train or bus from the City. Nice pubs great community’s :ayatollah:
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:18 pm

As mentioned above it depends how much you want to spend, which side of Cardiff you want to live (for example do you have family up in Worcester that you will want to commute to etc), whether you want city life or country life.

Cowbridge is lovely but expensive - if you can afford it I’d live there! But a most people can’t lol! If not then somewhere just outside cowbridge on the Cardiff side is good. Culver house cross (somewhere off there like Jestyn close area). It’s very close to M4, you are on the edge of some lovely country side, 5 mins drive to the stadium and 10 mins central Cardiff, 10 mins from Cardiff’s main hospital, 20 mins from the beach! Or there’s Cardiff bay too but aim for house and garden as opposed to a flat as it’s saturated with flats. Pontyclun is not too bad price wise and worth a look at mate.

If you really want city life than central Cardiff or somewhere like kings road but again houses on there will be expensive.
There’s Taff’s we’ll just outside Cardiff and good commuting g distance and if you want cheaper go up the valleys towards Pontypridd.

I’m not sure what’s east Cardiff as never lived there....I’ve always lived on the west side but hopefully others can guide you.
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby City1983 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:19 pm

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:Tongwynlais is perfect. The village feel yet only ten mins on train or bus from the City. Nice pubs great community’s :ayatollah:

Canton...there's a hospital...Stadium on the doorstep...Food aplenty....City to home after a shedful on the weekend, 40 min walk :laughing6:
City1983

Postby rossblue » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:10 pm

I don't need to commute anywhere other than work. We don't have any relatives in worcester. We have relatives in ross on wye where we currently live but there won't be an issue as we won't be coming back much .

We need either a 3 or a 4 bed. Up to 150k I'd imagine.
rossblue

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:31 pm

Llantwit Major is a great place to live, new development by Persimmon (Heritage Gate) just under way ,railway station, fantastic countryside and a beach,also Taylor Wimpy development being built in Cowbridge
Roadrunner

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:33 am

Roadrunner wrote:Llantwit Major is a great place to live, new development by Persimmon (Heritage Gate) just under way ,railway station, fantastic countryside and a beach,also Taylor Wimpy development being built in Cowbridge

I live near Llantwit Major and it is an amazing place, albeit it a bit on the price you side. I wouldn’t buy a Persimmon home though having looked into buying one myself. My Brother works in the building industry and he’s sent me videos of some of the dodgy workmanship which led to them being voted the UK’s worst building company.

Llantwit is a nice and friendly area though with award winning schools.

For a real bargain, get yourself to my home village of New Tredegar. It’s well cheap, plus you’ll get to share a pint with ex Cardiff City player Darcy Blake, whom incidentally may be playing for us in midfield next season the way things are going. :lol:

To be near a hospital and have good commutation links with Cardiff, whilst maintaining an element of value for your money, have a read up on Ystrad Mynach which is on the Rhymney Valley trainline.
103 Barmy Army

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:56 am

Ross - I couldn't recommend anywhere else but Caerphilly! It's a brilliant place to live :thumbright:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby jimmy_rat » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:07 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:Ross - I couldn't recommend anywhere else but Caerphilly! It's a brilliant place to live :thumbright:

I'll second that. Although I'm a bit nomadic and Cardiff is really my home. Mother in Law lives in Ystrad Mynach so that's normally my base when home. Great train links to Cardiff (be an easy commute to the Heath hospital) and road to anywhere M4, M5, M50 not far (to your family in Ross).

New hospital in Ystrad too for you or easy links to the Heath (biggest hospital in Cardiff, you'll easily get a job there as a Nurse I imagine). Plus if your budget is 150k you'll get something decent unlike closer to Cardiff or the Vale.

Definitely worth a look. Lots of young families and new estates Caerphilly way.
jimmy_rat

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:22 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:Ross - I couldn't recommend anywhere else but Caerphilly! It's a brilliant place to live :thumbright:

I'll second that. Although I'm a bit nomadic and Cardiff is really my home. Mother in Law lives in Ystrad Mynach so that's normally my base when home. Great train links to Cardiff (be an easy commute to the Heath hospital) and road to anywhere M4, M5, M50 not far (to your family in Ross).

New hospital in Ystrad too for you or easy links to the Heath (biggest hospital in Cardiff, you'll easily get a job there as a Nurse I imagine). Plus if your budget is 150k you'll get something decent unlike closer to Cardiff or the Vale.

Agree with the above.
You can pick up a three bed property for about 90k on the edge of Caerphilly :thumbright:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Bluebina » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:23 am

jimmy_rat wrote:

Always lived in Cardiff, but if I couldn't I agree Caerphilly is a nice 2nd best and very commutable !!!
Bluebina

Postby AV3 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:03 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:

Agree with the above.
You can pick up a three bed property for about 90k on the edge of Caerphilly :thumbright:

How much would you get in rental income?

I might buy a few. :lol:
Young Nibs said:
Sven I’m not sure if you're stupid or just pretending to be mate!
AV3

Postby jimmy_rat » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:16 pm

AV3 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:

Agree with the above.

Last laugh as it's a lot nicer area than most of Birmingham AND it's welcoming to 'outsiders' moving there. Which is a lot more than can be said of the affordable areas in Birmingham!

Join us with a holiday home in the countryside. You can even start coming to watch a Premier League team.
jimmy_rat

Postby MarshfieldIsBlue » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Marshfield! It's beautiful here, and we are nicely tucked away in between Newport and Cardiff.
MarshfieldIsBlue

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 pm

MarshfieldIsBlue wrote:Marshfield! It's beautiful here, and we are nicely tucked away in between Newport and Cardiff.

150k doesnt buy you an out-house in Marshfield! :lol:
paulh_85

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:39 pm

AV3 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:

Agree with the above.

500 odd quid a month
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby MOZZER1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:10 pm

to the east of the city some nice places around old st mellons , castelton and rumney too but don't think you could get a 3 bed for that price range probably caerphilly would be your best bet

as for birmingham the only decent places i could think of would be walmley or sutton coldfield the rest is not the best and if the residents of sutton had there way they want to break away from a being a suberb of birmigham too -lol
MOZZER1

Postby nojac » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:11 pm

Most Valley towns , there are some excellent properties for less than £100k. Most of the people are friendly too.
nojac

Postby stephendavid » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:39 pm

Lansbury park caerfilthy is nice......
stephendavid

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:58 pm

stephendavid wrote:Lansbury park caerfilthy is nice......

:laughing6: almost as nice as grangetown :shock:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby shinyBlueGlue » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:09 pm

Get in to proper Cardiff in Llanrumney... it offers

1. Half the soul crew, become a member
2. Medical supplies via the Black market
3. Cheap houses
4. Plenty of people to try out your medical skills after they have fought street battles or smashed their stolen car into the neighbours
5. Tesco, Iceland and Co-op with door bouncers to keep you safe

On the other hand try Whichchurch area lol
City Till I Die
shinyBlueGlue

Postby Magners » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:43 pm

Ystrad Mynach has a new hospital and you can catch a train every 15 mins to Heath. By road it’s also about 12 miles to Newport Royal Gwent and Merthyr’s Prince Charles. It’s also about 15 miles to Abergavenny’s Neville Hall.

Lots of new Housing developments in the area. However a 3 bed semi on a housing estate would start at £170k but 3 bed terrace houses start at about £120k
Magners

Postby keano » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Ponty
keano

Next

Return to General Chat