Better squad this time in the premiership?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Better squad this time in the premiership?

Postby maccydee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:19 pm

Doesn’t it show though, with this being debated. (I for one think current squad is better man for man) what an awesome manager we have in NW.

I mean he has spent a fraction of what Malky spent, in a time when transfer fees have gone through the roof and built a team and squad that is arguably superior.

In NW I trust.
maccydee

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby Magners » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:52 pm

This squad is slightly better for me.

The manager is a country mile better.

We have a better chance this time. Home wins is the key.
Magners

Postby StaffBluebird » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:33 am

Much better, but still lacking in the striker dept, which have been since Dave Jones left tbf
StaffBluebird

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 am

This squad edges it for me but would love a younger Whitts and Medel!
The one thing for sure whether we stay up or go down is that it’s going to be a more exciting season this time than under Malky.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Nickoblue23 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:48 am

I agree with most on here, ability wise there's probably not much difference between the squads but for me this squad has been put together with a clear plan! He went after the players he really wanted early. He then identified loan signings. Ok not everything went his way especially with loans but football's a funny old game and losing out on grujic might mean that Camarasa shines etc.

Personally I worry with pelts no pace he will struggle big time if first choice.

We haven't got a proven striker at this level so I would go with Reid as the number 9 this season.

Don't worry Jans only around the corner!!
Nickoblue23

Postby wez1927 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 am

Nickoblue23 wrote:I agree with most on here, ability wise there's probably not much difference between the squads but for me this squad has been put together with a clear plan! He went after the players he really wanted early. He then identified loan signings. Ok not everything went his way especially with loans but football's a funny old game and losing out on grujic might mean that Camarasa shines etc.

Personally I worry with pelts no pace he will struggle big time if first choice.

We haven't got a proven striker at this level so I would go with Reid as the number 9 this season.

Don't worry Jans only around the corner!!

Jazz will be first choice i think and will shine
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby BobbyBlue » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:52 am

I think we have a better squad now in the premier league, not sure what the Premiership is tho.
BobbyBlue

Postby Danny Says » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:41 am

A factor is the quality of the other teams and I cannot help feeling that as every club has strengthened, some more than others, it is going to be mightily difficult to keep up with those teams ho on paper look like relegation candidates. The 2 other promoted clubs with us have spent massively and the likes of BHA and Huddersfield have done some business, which leads me to conclude that it looks difficult to find 3 other clubs who will struggle more than potentially us.

Glass half empty for me.

But looking forward to it :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird: :ayatollah:
Danny Says

Postby blemmy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:05 am

paulh_85 wrote:i think theres a lot more question marks over this squad but more potential too.

looks like we might be stuggling up top like last time as well

I agree with paulh's view 1000%!

I was very concerned up to deadline day that our squad this time around had major deficiencies in midfield and up front. The deadline day acquisitions of Camarasa and Arter lifted my spirits massively and the last minute rumours of a striker being added would have got me 100% confident of our survival but the last addition wasn't to be.

The last time we went up we lacked that 10-12 goal a season guaranteed striker having pulled a duffer in Acorn. When I think of the games where our midfield and defence got run off their feet holding the opposition to a draw for 85 minutes - because every time we cleared the ball we didn't have anyone to take the pressure off us by holding the ball up and pressurising the opposition defence - only to then conceded the winner late on. I worry if we will suffer the same this season? I don't think Zohore or Madine can do that job - I hope I'm wrong but neither really cut in in the Championship for us - yes I'll enjoy the ride but teams that stay in the premiership need a proven striker as the final piece of the jigsaw - hope it doesn't come back and bite us on the bum!!

:bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf:
blemmy

Postby Bluebina » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 am

Danny Says wrote:A factor is the quality of the other teams and I cannot help feeling that as every club has strengthened, some more than others, it is going to be mightily difficult to keep up with those teams ho on paper look like relegation candidates. The 2 other promoted clubs with us have spent massively and the likes of BHA and Huddersfield have done some business, which leads me to conclude that it looks difficult to find 3 other clubs who will struggle more than potentially us.

Glass half empty for me.

But looking forward to it :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird: :ayatollah:

It's probably an honest and fair assessment, although team spirit, amazing support means we could just do it !!!

We really need a good start and we need to support and help the team through :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Bluebina

Previous

Return to General Chat