Changing of the Guard

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Changing of the Guard

Postby Lengee » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:51 pm

Some on here calling for Giggs out :laughing5:
A bit early!! Let's wait at least till after Ireland :shock:
THERE WILL BE 5 OR MORE CHANGES IN THE STARTING11
He didn't tell players not to do the BASICS E.G. mark at free kick ( goal 1) or for 2 men to go for the same ball (goal2), AND NOT TO MARK THEIR MAN THROUGOUT THE FIRST HALF!
We are in the middle of big changes to the Wales team. Let's get behind the new lads.
E.g. Ashley Williams has been a good servant but his race is run. Ampidou looked good again.
Subs came on a breathed a little life into the game thank God. Brookes Smith and Lawrence. The new guard. :thumbup:
(First half was like Cardiff v Man City !!)
:thumbup:
Lengee

Changing of the Guard

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Changing of the Guard

Postby ThomasC » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Lengee wrote:Some on here calling for Giggs out :laughing5:
A bit early!! Let's wait at least till after Ireland :shock:
THERE WILL BE 5 OR MORE CHANGES IN THE STARTING11
He didn't tell players not to do the BASICS E.G. mark at free kick ( goal 1) or for 2 men to go for the same ball (goal2), AND NOT TO MARK THEIR MAN THROUGOUT THE FIRST HALF!
We are in the middle of big changes to the Wales team. Let's get behind the new lads.
E.g. Ashley Williams has been a good servant but his race is run. Ampidou looked good again.
Subs came on a breathed a little life into the game thank God. Brookes Smith and Lawrence. The new guard. :thumbup:
(First half was like Cardiff v Man City !!)
:thumbup:

Ashley Williams has to be playing decent as now getting selected on reputation rather than form.

First big decision to be made, go on Giggsy, you wanted the job :laughing6: :thumbup:
ThomasC

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 pm

I think we know this wouldn't be the straying 11 v Ireland.
2blue2handle

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:52 pm

I'm sorry but you can't really defend Giggs with his bizarre starting line up and tactics tonight. Partially the reason we conceded from set pieces was because Giggs only named 1 (ONE) centre back in the starting line up, and he's an out of form centre back struggling for a Championship Stoke side. Giggs has to take some of the blame for that. Hopefully tonight was just a one off.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby dogfound » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:54 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I'm sorry but you can't really defend Giggs with his bizarre starting line up and tactics tonight. Partially the reason we conceded from set pieces was because Giggs only named 1 (ONE) centre back in the starting line up, and he's an out of form centre back struggling for a Championship Stoke side. Giggs has to take some of the blame for that. Hopefully tonight was just a one off.

a friendly a few days before a bigger game with a limited squad...

there is being unreasonable..

then there are the Giggs haters.
dogfound

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:19 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I'm sorry but you can't really defend Giggs with his bizarre starting line up and tactics tonight. Partially the reason we conceded from set pieces was because Giggs only named 1 (ONE) centre back in the starting line up, and he's an out of form centre back struggling for a Championship Stoke side. Giggs has to take some of the blame for that. Hopefully tonight was just a one off.

Davies and Gunter have both played in a back 3 many times for Wales and under your loved Coleman :lol:
2blue2handle

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:55 am

dogfound wrote:

............. and then there is tonteg bluebird :lol:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Bluebina » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:14 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Tonteg is right on this, the defence was a shambles and Williams is terrible now !!!

Spain made seven changes, it was practically their reserves and they had the match won in 30 mins, then just coasted, it was a disaster of a game.
Bluebina

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Tonteg is right on this, the defence was a shambles and Williams is terrible now !!!

Spain made seven changes, it was practically their reserves and they had the match won in 30 mins, then just coasted, it was a disaster of a game.

That’s as maybe but it was a friendly ffs. Perhaps he wanted to try a few things, perhaps he wanted to rest a few as there’s a much bigger games on Tuesday?
I watched the first 20 minutes on the TV and then switched off as I’m not a big Wales fan but give the give the guy a chance. Obviously it didn’t work but move on and judge him after this campaign.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby llan bluebird » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:28 pm

I didn't want him as i didn't think he deserved it. I didn't think he wanted to be a manager enough to drop into the lower levels to test himself. Gifted the job because he was a big name and played for us a decade ago. Staying at one club and playing for the greatest manager of his generation (not a great sire of football managers to date) all his playing career doesn't set you up for the intricacies of a small, limited talent pool country like Wales.

Its all well and true having a "playing philosophy" but you need a system to fit the talent you have. We needed an experienced, flexible thinker rather than a 44 year old rookie.

Was that Williams swansong ?
Did we make any money last night ? Spain and that stadium don't come cheap.
llan bluebird

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:35 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I didn't want him as i didn't think he deserved it. I didn't think he wanted to be a manager enough to drop into the lower levels to test himself. Gifted the job because he was a big name and played for us a decade ago. Staying at one club and playing for the greatest manager of his generation (not a great sire of football managers to date) all his playing career doesn't set you up for the intricacies of a small, limited talent pool country like Wales.

Its all well and true having a "playing philosophy" but you need a system to fit the talent you have. We needed an experienced, flexible thinker rather than a 44 year old rookie.

I don't think there are to many who wanted to the job tbh.
2blue2handle

Postby paulh_85 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:41 pm

you and i would both know you cant leave two players completely free in the box from a wide free kick so id also expect centre backs, full backs and any other player regardless of position to know.

That second goal was pathetic. no getting around it and not giggs' fault.
paulh_85

Postby dogfound » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:24 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I didn't want him as i didn't think he deserved it. I didn't think he wanted to be a manager enough to drop into the lower levels to test himself. Gifted the job because he was a big name and played for us a decade ago. Staying at one club and playing for the greatest manager of his generation (not a great sire of football managers to date) all his playing career doesn't set you up for the intricacies of a small, limited talent pool country like Wales.

yeah I thought the FAW should have gone for someone in the 8 mill a year bracket too.. :laughing5: :laughing5:
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:37 pm

Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:

proper not sure what people expected.....personally I think it was a game we didn't need..a new inexperienced manager in the process of bringing through a group of kids..with a much more important game around the corner....yeah lets pick our very best 11 and wind them up so they run through walls for you...and maybe beat Spains scratch team .

Ashley Williams btw has started in Stokes last 4 games, and playing well on all accounts..so not really a ridiculous choice..
dogfound

Postby llan bluebird » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:35 am

dogfound wrote:

yeah I thought the FAW should have gone for someone in the 8 mill a year bracket too.. :laughing5: :laughing5:

The halcyon days and romance of international football are long gone, the honour of representing your nation for a peppercorn fee were gone decades ago. When half our players or their parents were not born in Wales, then hiring the highest paid person in the FAW doesn't necessarily need to be Welsh for me.

So if we are to pay a lower championship salary we need to go for those who have started their career or in semi retirement and still love a bit of spotlight.
The problem i have with giggs is there is nothing except a few caretaker matches for the self proclaimed biggest club in the world to go on. Alex Neil (Preston),Darrell Clark (B rovers),Karl Robinson (Oxford poor start) to name a few have proven they can figure out how to come up with solutions.
Giggs may improve, but i can't help thinking that his appointment was led by the potential commercial benefits of Man U legend Ryan Giggs and very little to do with the form in the book or commitment to the cause, i bet he has an easy to trigger release clause if a biggie comes up.

On a personal note, i really don't care too much about international football, well not like club football.
llan bluebird

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:38 am

llan bluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

The halcyon days and romance of international football are long gone, the honour of representing your nation for a peppercorn fee were gone decades ago. When half our players or their parents were not born in Wales, then hiring the highest paid person in the FAW doesn't necessarily need to be Welsh for me.

So if we are to pay a lower championship salary we need to go for those who have started their career or in semi retirement and still love a bit of spotlight.
The problem i have with giggs is there is nothing except a few caretaker matches for the self proclaimed biggest club in the world to go on. Alex Neil (Preston),Darrell Clark (B rovers),Karl Robinson (Oxford poor start) to name a few have proven they can figure out how to come up with solutions.
Giggs may improve, but i can't help thinking that his appointment was led by the potential commercial benefits of Man U legend Ryan Giggs and very little to do with the form in the book or commitment to the cause, i bet he has an easy to trigger release clause if a biggie comes up.

On a personal note, i really don't care too much about international football, well not like club football.

I don't think many if any manager would see Wales as more than a stepping stone.
2blue2handle

Postby dogfound » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:53 am

llan bluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

the whole commitment to the cause thing revolves around friendlies...ignoring the fact that he did play for 17 years..was often man of the match..and others have not been treated by anything like the same yardstick...as for friendlies..often called meaningless friendlies and like the club equivalent tend to be a mish mash of players watched by small crowds { unless the opponents are special }..truth be told NONE of us want to see our club players go off to these games..especially if there is the slightest doubt about the player {re injury }.and only a small percentage are bothered to go and watch...
as for your alternative list...yes they have experience...but not experience of managing players of the quality of our better players or experience of playing against good teams..seems to me that people are throwing names for the sake of it..
dogfound

Postby Lengee » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:22 pm

.... So it was a bit early to judge Giggs. Where are all the Gifts haters tonight. :shock:
A well judged line up and performance :thumbup:
Also a mention for Ashley Williams a solid performance at the back supported by Chester.
There is a changing of the guard and the second half showed we had the right blend of youth and experience.
Giggs is inexperienced and will make mistakes, but not also him off at every and any opportunity.
Great effort.....together Stronger :bluebird:
Lengee

Return to General Chat