" Desperation Stuff "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Desperation Stuff "

Postby Lengee » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:29 am

" Desperation Stuff "

I came away from Fulham thinking that we were settling into the Premier with a decent chance of staying up. Against Fulham we played a direct game but also quite a bit of football in the ground. We had some PACE running at them. I didn't come away thinking we would finish 10th( :o ), :laughing5: but thought 15, 16 or 17th was possible.

Today we started quite brightly and gradually went to long throws and hoofball in hope and desperation. Only 2 players played well Bamba Gunnerson.

We ended up with no pace on the pitch and almost every throw (wherever on the pitch was a long throw!).

Our forward line was Hoillet (out of form and confidence) Paterson (out of position) Ward and Madine. This would hardly strike fear into a Championship team especially without anyone supplying crosses. Just got and hope. Harris (the only sub with pace) gets left on the bench. Zahore doesn't even get a place on the bench! Inexplicable unless he was injured.

I know we may lack enough quality to stay up, but with that formation we will go down= it doesn't even make the best of what we have.

Meanwhile we looked more and more vulnerable at the other end. Morrison is a leader and gives 100% but against speedy attackers he is obviously exposed. Why not play Manga central defence?

Sorry to be critical but that's how I felt after yesterday. :cry:

I will be interested to see the line up against Brighton, especially as Arter will not be playing. :bluebird:
Lengee

" Desperation Stuff "

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Desperation Stuff

Postby billy ronson » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:46 am

We started brightly and had Camarasa scored then things may have gone differently but after that other than Murphy’ s breaks we played right into their hands .
I felt that was the worst we have played since the opening games as recently we had started playing football with some pace but yesterday we went backwards and I left the ground feeling we. wouldn’t have won that game playing a Championship team never mind Premier...very disappointing.
I can only put it down to the players being affected by the occasion.
I'm free to be
Whatever I, whatever I choose
And I'll sing the blues if I want
billy ronson

Re: Desperation Stuff

Postby fred keenor » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:50 am

The second half was shocking, the substitutions as well.
Patterson , Madine up front was 4th division stuff.
fred keenor

Re: " Desperation Stuff "

Postby cityone » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:52 am

Watched the whole game back last night and we were very poor in my opinion, i also don't get this crap that we were affected with last weeks tragedy??? Leicester had all the reasons to be poor on the day but they still managed to beat us. In my opinion Warnock is way out of his depth in the premier league and should be replaced by christmas, any later and we will be doomed. His failing to bring in a striker is still hard to fathom out and it will cost us our premiership spot come next May.
cityone

Postby noisycat » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:55 am

I went to yesterday’s game full of optimism after our win against Fulham. Apart from the first 15-20 mins when I thought we were in the game, I think it was probably our worst home performance of the season, even after losing to Man City. As said, Murphy was the only player who showed any hope of scoring or creating a goal for somebody else. What’s the point of Madine, Ward and Paterson up front, without anyone to cross the ball into them. I don’t understand why he brought Hoilett on, who is clearly lacking confidence but shows no real commitment. It seemed to me, that our players were more effected by what has gone on in the last week. I don’t like to criticise NW because of his experience etc but his substitutions do baffle me sometimes.
noisycat

Postby Lengee » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:25 am

I think NW is probably too loyal to some players who have served us really well to get here.
I look at playing Manga as right back. Why? Because he has to find a spot for Morrison. Manga's best position is central and he is faster and more mobile than Morrisson. We have full backs so why not use full backs as full backs.
Having players playing out of their normal position is rarely the answer. It is dealing with the symptoms of an issue not it's causes.
However, if you look at the Leicester goal you can see that there is an overlap on the right flank Morrison points to Manga to cover Albrighton and then retreats to the centre leaving Chilwell unmarked. I think this is because SM is aware that when he tries to cover his lack of pace is exposed. It ends up with Morrison and Bamba marking one player in the centre and Bennet not covering Grey. SM is a great servant to City and showed against more old fashioned physical centre forwards he can play them very well. But sometimes it is a real problem at the heart of defence.

Who do we play against Brighton??
Looking at Hoillet, he was great in the Championship but has shown very little in the Premier as yet. If Arter is unavailable then the natural replacement is like for like. I would play Damour, rather than looking to play Hoillet and changing various players around again. For me,
I would also play a centre forward at centre forward (radical idea I know), with Patterson in reserve should we need him. Personally I'd go for Zahore, but I will go with NW as he sees the players in training etc.
I still think we can beat Brighton, and I think we must. :bluebird:
Lengee

Postby skiprat » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:54 am

Agree with most of the previous posts.we work very hard for the whole 90 minutes but have a lack of quality which will ultimately cost us our place in this league.
skiprat

Postby City Slicker » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:02 pm

skiprat wrote:Agree with most of the previous posts.we work very hard for the whole 90 minutes but have a lack of quality which will ultimately cost us our place in this league.

I'll be honest and apart from maybe Huddersfield at home, possibly Fulham away(at a stretch) and some weird wildcard which always appears to occur I can't see us winning any other game. Potential draws maybe at Newcastle and Burnley away, Southampton and Palace at home and maybe one other weird wildcard. If so that would leave us with maybe 19 points. On the bright side we may beat Derby's abysmal record.
City Slicker

Postby Lengee » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:21 pm

skiprat wrote:Agree with most of the previous posts.we work very hard for the whole 90 minutes but have a lack of quality which will ultimately cost us our place in this league.

Oh dear me I hope that that's a bit pessemistiv :sad7: i can understand how you feel!
We need to beat Brighton and Saints at home before Christmas. As a minimum. We may (but I am not confident) get the odd point from games like Wolves home. If we can, then I think Warnock will have some money to strengthen (and get rid of a few who are costing us :thumbup: ). If we are adrift at the bottom at Christmas then It will be a real bummer. (Excuse the pun). It will be good if we can keep a decent chance of surviving right through the season.

I still think Neil's biggest mistake was not using the £10 million he said he had for a struker. I know it's not easy and Abrahams would have been great (imi). But surely he could have found someone to home or abroad.
Lengee

Postby fred keenor » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:29 pm

I also think purchasing Reid without a real need for this type of player in our system.
Another 10 million that could have been put to a target man.
fred keenor

Postby lord raglan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:32 pm

Truth hurts but sadly the above observations are pretty much spot on .
Appreciate everything Neil has done for Cardiff city as a club but think he is out of his depth it’s a hard league but people are forgetting we got here on our own merit and fully deserve to play in the premiership so stop being negative Mr Warnock.
Lack of signings are costing us dear and we could but Cut adrift by Christmas unless something happens soon Brighton and saints could be the fixtures that will turn up the pressure on Neil if the results go against us .
Yes I know the fixtures haven’t been favourable but you got to play them all at one time or another .

Onwards and upwards .
:bluescarf: :bluescarf:
lord raglan

Postby cityone » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:55 pm

Lengee wrote:

Oh dear me I hope that that's a bit pessemistiv :sad7: i can understand how you feel!
We need to beat Brighton and Saints at home before Christmas. As a minimum. We may (but I am not confident) get the odd point from games like Wolves home. If we can, then I think Warnock will have some money to strengthen (and get rid of a few who are costing us :thumbup: ). If we are adrift at the bottom at Christmas then It will be a real bummer. (Excuse the pun). It will be good if we can keep a decent chance of surviving right through the season.

I still think Neil's biggest mistake was not using the £10 million he said he had for a struker. I know it's not easy and Abrahams would have been great (imi). But surely he could have found someone to home or abroad.

To give us a fighting chance in the second half of the season i think we need a minimum of 15/16 points at christmas.
cityone

Postby nubbsy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Typically everyone got over excited after the Fulham game. We're still shit. We have to spend 20/30m in Jan to have any chance of staying up.
nubbsy

Postby Roadrunner » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:48 pm

We definitely need to improve the squad in January, chucking money at it sometimes doesn't guarantee success, as we know, it's finding players to fit into a system and making it work ,so maybe that's also finding the right man to do that.
Roadrunner

Postby City Slicker » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:22 pm

nubbsy wrote:Typically everyone got over excited after the Fulham game. We're still shit. We have to spend 20/30m in Jan to have any chance of staying up.

Absolutely true but that 20-30m (at the very least) should have been spent in the summer
City Slicker

Postby Woodville Willie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:23 pm

Leicester are no pushovers!!

You’d swear it was a hammering by a struggling side with some posters.

Leicester are a settled club who have won this league and have some top players. 0-1 is no disgrace.

However, I do agree that if points don’t start to come, New Year signings will be irrelevant.

36 points will probably do it but on current form, it will be 17 points!
True Blue
BLUE IS THE NEW BLUE!!!!
Woodville Willie

Postby City Slicker » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:28 pm

Woodville Willie wrote:Leicester are no pushovers!!

Leicester are a settled club who have won this league and have some top players. 0-1 is no disgrace.

However, I do agree that if points don’t start to come, New Year signings will be irrelevant.

We need about 17 points by Christmas just to give ourselves a fighting chance
City Slicker

Postby Woodville Willie » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:20 am

City Slicker wrote:
Woodville Willie wrote:Leicester are no pushovers!!

We need about 17 points by Christmas just to give ourselves a fighting chance

Totally agree

5 points in 11 games over the season would be just over 17 points. I couldn’t believe it when I worked it out!! 3-pointers are essential and quickly.
True Blue
BLUE IS THE NEW BLUE!!!!
Woodville Willie

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:28 pm

:laughing6: Laughable thread.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Lengee » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:40 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote::laughing6: Laughable thread.

Nothing like a sensible comment.....and the above is nothing like a sensible comment!! :laughing5: :wave:
Lengee

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:15 pm

Lengee wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote::laughing6: Laughable thread.

Nothing like a sensible comment.....and the above is nothing like a sensible comment!! :laughing5: :wave:

:wave: :thumbup:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Return to General Chat