Once a Bluebird, Always a bluebird
snoopystorm

Another player against wearing a poppy

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Another player against wearing a poppy

Postby BluebirdWhitchurch » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:23 pm

In what planet can you understand Matic’s stance and not James McClean’s? Delusional
BluebirdWhitchurch

Postby snoopystorm » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:24 pm

BluebirdWhitchurch wrote:In what planet can you understand Matic’s stance and not James McClean’s? Delusional

Matic actually lived through it, McLean would be retired now if he lived through Bloody Sunday
Once a Bluebird, Always a bluebird
snoopystorm

Postby BluebirdWhitchurch » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:05 pm

snoopystorm wrote:
BluebirdWhitchurch wrote:In what planet can you understand Matic’s stance and not James McClean’s? Delusional

Matic actually lived through it, McLean would be retired now if he lived through Bloody Sunday

By that logic should the poppy not be redundant in football as no current player was alive during WW1 or 2
BluebirdWhitchurch

Postby dogfound » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:31 pm

snoopystorm wrote:Seems to be a trend, can sort of understand with Matic though unlike McLean

its down to individuals........its these excuses that bug me..

the charity supports ex servicemen who dont get to choose..in this case it was NATO.

rememberance sets no criteria its to remember ALL that have died in service, and the use of money collected via the poppy is not used according to criteria either..wars happen soldiers lose their lives and then years later people decide it was not right ..how on earth does that change the sadness of his/.her loss of life...
dogfound

Postby phildavies » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:56 pm

BluebirdWhitchurch wrote:
snoopystorm wrote:

By that logic should the poppy not be redundant in football as no current player was alive during WW1 or 2

It’s not simple of of the world wars it’s a simple of all lives lost in conflict
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby BluebirdWhitchurch » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:08 pm

phildavies wrote:
snoopystorm wrote:

It’s not simple of of the world wars it’s a simple of all lives lost in conflict

Ok then so why should McClean commemorate the lives of those who committed mass murder in his hometown?
BluebirdWhitchurch

Postby phildavies » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:31 pm

phildavies wrote:
snoopystorm wrote:

Ok then so why should McClean commemorate the lives of those who committed mass murder in his hometown?

I never said he should.
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:57 pm

snoopystorm wrote:

Quite right, plus Matic hasn't gone out of his way to be disrespectful
SirJimmySchoular

Postby harold pinta » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:19 am

Wearing a poppy is a personal choice and nobody should ever have to explain why they do or don’t wear one.
harold pinta

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:34 am

harold pinta wrote:Wearing a poppy is a personal choice and nobody should ever have to explain why they do or don’t wear one.

No, well as I keep saying that's true, but it's when someone wants to explain their decision without being asked and does so in a provocative way , they invite a response.
Great name by the way, Harold.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby bluebird04 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:27 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
harold pinta wrote:Wearing a poppy is a personal choice and nobody should ever have to explain why they do or don’t wear one.

No, well as I keep saying that's true, but it's when someone wants to explain their decision without being asked and does so in a provocative way , they invite a response.

I agree, however as Mclean and Matic play football, the moment they step on out that pitch with no poppy on their shirt, is the moment, people start questioning them. why are they being disrespectful etc. so they have to come out and explain. I can understand both of their views. Mclean has said, if it was in memory of those soldiers who fell during WW1, and WW2 then he'd wear it, however the poppy is for all soldiers fallen in conflict.
bluebird04

Postby Jimmy Scoular » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:43 pm

I am British I wear a poppy, I have a poppy on my dog's lead.My uncles went to war including the Dunkirk evacuation and I think it is fitting to commemorate them.Conversely if I came from Belfast or Serbia and had been brought up in a culture where the British Army/allied air forces had wrought death upon communities I would be loathed to don a visual commemoration of of the aforementioned armed forces and their actions, plain and simple .This is why a grasp of historical context is crucial to a better understanding of their respective positions.Asking the average football fan as to the complexities of the Troubles or Balkan
nationalism is akin to asking Donald Trump to attend an LBGT rally.
Jimmy Scoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:54 pm

bluebird04 wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

I agree, however as Mclean and Matic play football, the moment they step on out that pitch with no poppy on their shirt, is the moment, people start questioning them. why are they being disrespectful etc. so they have to come out and explain. I can understand both of their views. Mclean has said, if it was in memory of those soldiers who fell during WW1, and WW2 then he'd wear it, however the poppy is for all soldiers fallen in conflict.

Well you know, and what I'm about to say is hard, I was just watching the BBC news with politicians trying to associate themselves and act as if ww1 was either anything to do with them or about protecting their current whacky ideas of right and wrong.
Well, unfortunately I'm old enough to remember plenty of people who fought in that, ( worrying when you consider it ended 100 years ago), and to be honest I'm pretty certain that most of them wouldn't feel any empathy whatever with current Godless and soft population of their country. I'm also pretty certain they wouldn't specially want to be remembered by them.

Not being nasty, just telling the truth. Let me use this space at this time to mention my uncle Cliff Collins who left his dad's farm in Llantrisant to join up and went over the top seven times. He told me that the trenches were worse than the farm but not as bad as the pit, which I think is worth repeating being a personal observation by someone who was there rather than a political nutter who writes comedy shows, yet whose version seems to be taught in schools now.
He also thought it was a bloody good thing to have shot cowards by the way, explaining that the boys who went up the ladders were bloody scared too.
He was a lovely man and came home to do well running a boxing gym in London then retiring down to Hampshire. I know he wouldn't care what this footballer thought or whether he wore a poppy, but I'm pretty sure he'd have punched him all over the street if the opportunity had presented itself , and some might think that's the proper response.

Anyway, there you are. Nothing to do with anything but it seemed to me that if we're supposed to be remembering our fighting men from this truthfully long forgotten and horrible war, well we might as well remember a real one and mention his name, which I don't suppose happens much now. He lived .
SirJimmySchoular

Postby splottbluebird48 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:19 pm

There are 66,000 veterans who are homeless, at the front line of the criminal justice system and suffering mental health issues.

The British Army is 81,000.

This is an army of people being failed by an establishment that pretends to adore them.
splottbluebird48

Postby jimmy_rat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:30 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

Well you know, and what I'm about to say is hard, I was just watching the BBC news with politicians trying to associate themselves and act as if ww1 was either anything to do with them or about protecting their current whacky ideas of right and wrong.
Well, unfortunately I'm old enough to remember plenty of people who fought in that, ( worrying when you consider it ended 100 years ago), and to be honest I'm pretty certain that most of them wouldn't feel any empathy whatever with current Godless and soft population of their country. I'm also pretty certain they wouldn't specially want to be remembered by them.

Not being nasty, just telling the truth. Let me use this space at this time to mention my uncle Cliff Collins who left his dad's farm in Llantrisant to join up and went over the top seven times. He told me that the trenches were worse than the farm but not as bad as the pit, which I think is worth repeating being a personal observation by someone who was there rather than a political nutter who writes comedy shows, yet whose version seems to be taught in schools now.
He also thought it was a bloody good thing to have shot cowards by the way, explaining that the boys who went up the ladders were bloody scared too.
He was a lovely man and came home to do well running a boxing gym in London then retiring down to Hampshire. I know he wouldn't care what this footballer thought or whether he wore a poppy, but I'm pretty sure he'd have punched him all over the street if the opportunity had presented itself , and some might think that's the proper response.

Anyway, there you are. Nothing to do with anything but it seemed to me that if we're supposed to be remembering our fighting men from this truthfully long forgotten and horrible war, well we might as well remember a real one and mention his name, which I don't suppose happens much now. He lived .

Sounds a top bloke. Old school. And as you say, I wonder how these men would look and feel about our soft society today?!
jimmy_rat

Postby Jimmy Scoular » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Spott the Bluebird,

You are bang on the money.We send young men and women to do things ordinarily they would not do.When they are maimed or ruined mentally our government walks away and sends out cretinous politicians to make soundbites about "how proud we should be" , in reality they are spewed out and left to suffer.My Godson was one such victim. I for one would not encourage people to enlist.On the 100th anniversary of the armistice and the land fit for heroes, what bollocks, what's new????????
Jimmy Scoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:53 pm

Jimmy Scoular wrote:Spott the Bluebird,

You are bang on the money.We send young men and women to do things ordinarily they would not do.When they are maimed or ruined mentally our government walks away and sends out cretinous politicians to make soundbites about "how proud we should be" , in reality they are spewed out and left to suffer.My Godson was one such victim. I for one would not encourage people to enlist.On the 100th anniversary of the armistice and the land fit for heroes, what bollocks, what's new????????

Well I agree, and it's 100 years ago now, so let's draw a line under it. I remember many of those who were involved, but these politicians don't and their sympathy is entirely fake anyway - we should stop giving them a platform for their theatrical self serving antics. The people living in this country are not the same nation as we had and whatever we might think of that, it's unfair to expect them to understand men whose ethos was/ is completely foreign to them. Many of them try to go along with it but I can't see the point in expecting that.
It's hard but true to say that no one cares about wars and battles or the very real human tragedies they involve once they become purely historical events. It'd be nice if politicians and bankers would stop creating them as soon as everyone's forgotten how bad the last war was, but they won't . It'd also be nice if people remembered this next time they're asked to go and avenge some implausible old bollocks about Chemical attacks or wmd's.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Brianclark5 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:33 am

I feel angry. Read in the paper about the special black army regiments in thee American army in both world wars. When they got back home when the wars had finished they suffered terrible extra dose discrimination for wearing bravery medals they won and 'strutting' around like they 'was better than they was.' Many were beaten and many tortured and murdered. Mutilation was common, penises and testicles cut off, being forced to eat them and say yum yum how nice they tasted then being crucified or burnt by their white neighbours. These black soldiers were all volunteers. There was no need for them to fight for a country that treated them in such horrific, monstrous ways, where they were regarded as less than human but they did. I wouldn't have. As Mohamed Ali so succinctly put it when refusing to be conscripted to fight in the amoral so called war in Vietnam 'Ain't no Vietnamese ever called me nigger!' Black soldiers fought for Britain in both world wars as did Indians, native Canadians, Aboriginal Australians and native [peoples from all over our commonwealth. They didn't have to. They did it because they were brave and noble people, many from warrior traditions. My old man was in a battalion mainly filled with Masai and Kikuyu warriors in Kenya. He loved them, always spoke of them with friendship, admiration and kindness. Not a dozen years later they were being tortured to death in their thousands by our occupying forces because they wanted independence. Indian ex service men were slaughtered by us for the same reason. Poles fought valiantly at our side. All these people from these different nations were welcomed to our ranks in time of conflict. They fought and died side by side with our brave men and women but their service was soon forgotten or put to one side after the fighting had ended. Shame on us. Deep deep stain of shame that can never be erased. The American shame runs even deeper but they are a nation that has always been in denial. They don't see right and wrong as others see it. They are a nation of 'to our advantage' or 'not to our advantage'. Right and wrong doesn't register with them. Today, here, now in Britain, in Wales we have whole swathes of our populations who hate and spread hate against coloured people of all hues. Muslims, Negroes, Oriental people ... just hate. They will give you reasons, some of them will even believe these reasons but the truth is it is hate for the sake of hate. It is hatred by people who like hating. It's Remembrance Day on Sunday, one hundred years after the end The Great War. These very same hate filled people will be crying public tears and professing their undying appreciation of the soldiers who fought and won our two twentieth century conflicts. They won't be mentioning the black and other ethnic warriors who fought and died for us. They will conveniently ignore them then go back to hating their ancestors the very next day. I would say shame on these people but the truth is that they are scum. Shame can only be felt by those with dignity to begin with. And a final point governments use these ethnic peoples to die in time of war and then abandon them when they become the victims of persecution. Indeed they, our Tory party, UKIP, the Republican Party in America provoke and encourage this twisted hatred against minorities to get the vote of the scum. Don't forget this is not just limited to ethnic peoples. We, us, the poor, the working class they treat us the same. Come on Tommy, leave the factories, leave the pits, there's killing and dying to be done and then what .... after ... they sideline us, they ignore our welfare, they let us get our food from foodbanks, they starve us of what is needed to live a dignified, fear free life. They steal from us to line their own pockets. So you working class racists out there remember you are the same ias the people you hate in the eyes of those you obey, those you allow to mould you. We should unite together with our ethnic brothers and sisters against the real enemy, the one you applaud on Question Time when they effervesce into uncontrolled hatred toward other countries ... It amazes me that you right wing racists actually believe that our Rulers give a damn about you. The truth is that when your war is over and you are no longer of use to them they will dump you just as they have dumped the real warriors after their wars were over. Think!!! Don't be used!! Love to all our Armed forces with a special mention of who stood side by side with us in times of peril though they weren't obliged to. Love to my friends of all colours and races. The fact that we are brothers and sisters fills my heart with gratitude and pride. XX . . .
Brianclark5

Postby Jock » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:41 am

phildavies wrote:
snoopystorm wrote:

He’s an IRA supporter, the IRA killed far more people in Ulster than the British army.
Jock

Postby Jock » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:46 am

Brianclark5 wrote:I feel angry. Read in the paper about the special black army regiments in thee American army in both world wars. When they got back home when the wars had finished they suffered terrible extra dose discrimination for wearing bravery medals they won and 'strutting' around like they 'was better than they was.' Many were beaten and many tortured and murdered. Mutilation was common, penises and testicles cut off, being forced to eat them and say yum yum how nice they tasted then being crucified or burnt by their white neighbours. These black soldiers were all volunteers. There was no need for them to fight for a country that treated them in such horrific, monstrous ways, where they were regarded as less than human but they did. I wouldn't have. As Mohamed Ali so succinctly put it when refusing to be conscripted to fight in the amoral so called war in Vietnam 'Ain't no Vietnamese ever called me nigger!' Black soldiers fought for Britain in both world wars as did Indians, native Canadians, Aboriginal Australians and native [peoples from all over our commonwealth. They didn't have to. They did it because they were brave and noble people, many from warrior traditions. My old man was in a battalion mainly filled with Masai and Kikuyu warriors in Kenya. He loved them, always spoke of them with friendship, admiration and kindness. Not a dozen years later they were being tortured to death in their thousands by our occupying forces because they wanted independence. Indian ex service men were slaughtered by us for the same reason. Poles fought valiantly at our side. All these people from these different nations were welcomed to our ranks in time of conflict. They fought and died side by side with our brave men and women but their service was soon forgotten or put to one side after the fighting had ended. Shame on us. Deep deep stain of shame that can never be erased. The American shame runs even deeper but they are a nation that has always been in denial. They don't see right and wrong as others see it. They are a nation of 'to our advantage' or 'not to our advantage'. Right and wrong doesn't register with them. Today, here, now in Britain, in Wales we have whole swathes of our populations who hate and spread hate against coloured people of all hues. Muslims, Negroes, Oriental people ... just hate. They will give you reasons, some of them will even believe these reasons but the truth is it is hate for the sake of hate. It is hatred by people who like hating. It's Remembrance Day on Sunday, one hundred years after the end The Great War. These very same hate filled people will be crying public tears and professing their undying appreciation of the soldiers who fought and won our two twentieth century conflicts. They won't be mentioning the black and other ethnic warriors who fought and died for us. They will conveniently ignore them then go back to hating their ancestors the very next day. I would say shame on these people but the truth is that they are scum. Shame can only be felt by those with dignity to begin with. And a final point governments use these ethnic peoples to die in time of war and then abandon them when they become the victims of persecution. Indeed they, our Tory party, UKIP, the Republican Party in America provoke and encourage this twisted hatred against minorities to get the vote of the scum. Don't forget this is not just limited to ethnic peoples. We, us, the poor, the working class they treat us the same. Come on Tommy, leave the factories, leave the pits, there's killing and dying to be done and then what .... after ... they sideline us, they ignore our welfare, they let us get our food from foodbanks, they starve us of what is needed to live a dignified, fear free life. They steal from us to line their own pockets. So you working class racists out there remember you are the same ias the people you hate in the eyes of those you obey, those you allow to mould you. We should unite together with our ethnic brothers and sisters against the real enemy, the one you applaud on Question Time when they effervesce into uncontrolled hatred toward other countries ... It amazes me that you right wing racists actually believe that our Rulers give a damn about you. The truth is that when your war is over and you are no longer of use to them they will dump you just as they have dumped the real warriors after their wars were over. Think!!! Don't be used!! Love to all our Armed forces with a special mention of who stood side by side with us in times of peril though they weren't obliged to. Love to my friends of all colours and races. The fact that we are brothers and sisters fills my heart with gratitude and pride. XX . . .
why are you bringing racism and politics into a simple act of remembrance for all. Ranting about Tories and UKIP furfuxsake.
Jock

Postby nubbsy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Who gives a f**k. Let people make they're own choices without judgement. Wear it don't and respect peoples choice and get on with your own lives.
nubbsy

Postby krabb » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:37 pm

snoopystorm wrote:

Ww1 ww2...... how about Ireland, falklands, Iraq,afghanistan to name but a few..... ffs
krabb

Postby northernbluebird » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:52 pm

why do people obsess about this? year in year out we get threads moaning about this, and yet nothing about remembering the people that died.

it's their right to not wear the poppy if they so wish, but it's also our right to completely ignore them and concentrate on what actually matters, i.e. remembering those who have died to protect our freedom and democracy, or served in wars abroad that they had no say in.
northernbluebird

Return to General Chat