A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ James McClean at it again / calls his own fans cavemen “

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:52 pm

04A29985-89F1-424F-B478-00214DE31C15.jpeg
04A29985-89F1-424F-B478-00214DE31C15.jpeg (35.16 KiB) Viewed 4767 times

BBC SPORT

Monday 5th Nov 2018

The Football Association and Stoke are investigating a social media post by Potters winger James McClean in which he described some of the Championship club's fans as "uneducated cavemen".

The 29-year-old was abused by a section of the home crowd for not wearing a poppy during Saturday's 0-0 draw with visitors Middlesbrough.

Republic of Ireland international McClean has previously explained why does not wear a poppy, and Stoke issued a statement before the game confirming his stance had not changed.

In his post on Instagram after the match, McClean said: "Your abuse, your throwing things, your booing, do your worst."

But he also thanked those Stoke fans who "are actually educated and support me".

McClean was born in Derry, where in 1972 British soldiers shot dead 13 civilian protestors during 'Bloody Sunday'. A 14th person died later in hospital.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: “ James McClean at it again / calls his own fans cavemen

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:55 pm

Feck him the IRA loving tw*t, don’t wear a poppy sunshine no diffrent to when I raised a glass at your hero McGuinness death.
1980s Bluebird

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:59 pm

people get unnecessarily tribal over this sort of stuff. If he doesnt want to wear one then thats his call
paulh_85

Postby Horris » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:58 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:Feck him the IRA loving tw*t, don’t wear a poppy sunshine no diffrent to when I raised a glass at your hero McGuinness death.

I used to love a chessburger whilst watching the evening news of young Booby at the Maze.
Horris

Postby snoopystorm » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:02 pm

He’s right about a few teams supporters..... Leeds, jacks, boro :lol: :lol:
Once a Bluebird, Always a bluebird
snoopystorm

Postby Pencoed » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:23 pm

He should of explained since stance once then just kept quiet
Pencoed

Postby City Slicker » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:41 pm

paulh_85 wrote:people get unnecessarily tribal over this sort of stuff. If he doesnt want to wear one then thats his call

Quite right, it's his business.
City Slicker

Postby RV Casual » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:53 pm

Mental how outraged people get about it. Lots of people wear the poppy for all the wrong reasons these days.

I wear one, but if others don't choose to for legitimate reasons like McLean and Matic it doesn't bother me and I don't really see why it should bother anyone else either really as long as they are respectfull about it which McLean and Matic both have been from what iv always seen.
RV Casual

Postby Llan_Blue » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:06 pm

He has his reasons and they are good legitimate ones.

I don’t see how he’s “at it again”

I’m sure if what happened happened here it would be a completely different story.

Wasn’t the best of days for our army.
Llan_Blue

Postby Jock » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:08 pm

He’s a dick, if he doesn’t want to wear one don’t wear one but why all the look at me , look at me I refuse to wear one shite.
Jock

Postby Llan_Blue » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Jock wrote:He’s a dick, if he doesn’t want to wear one don’t wear one but why all the look at me , look at me I refuse to wear one shite.

It’s people talking about him not wearing one. It’s not him going out of his way to talk about it.
Llan_Blue

Postby splottbluebird48 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:26 pm

What about the idiots who wear a poppy and give nazi salute?
splottbluebird48

Postby RV Casual » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Jock wrote:He’s a dick, if he doesn’t want to wear one don’t wear one but why all the look at me , look at me I refuse to wear one shite.

It’s people talking about him not wearing one. It’s not him going out of his way to talk about it.

Correct, all this has come about again cos he was getting dogs abuse on the weekend from Boro fans and some of his own

He's reacted, who can blame him.

I'll be honest, I used to think he was a dick and maybe he is but when I read that article he put out via I think it was West Brom I got it.

He's said, if the poppy was for the two world wars only he would wear it but because it represents all conflict he doesn't feel comfortable given what happened on Bloody Sunday and feels it would be a kick in the bollocks to the people and families who were killed in his home town.

Very hard to argue against that.
RV Casual

Postby dogfound » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:25 pm

RV Casual wrote:Mental how outraged people get about it. Lots of people wear the poppy for all the wrong reasons these days.

I wear one, but if others don't choose to for legitimate reasons like McLean and Matic it doesn't bother me and I don't really see why it should bother anyone else either really as long as they are respectfull about it which McLean and Matic both have been from what iv always seen.

its not the not wearing.....its that he takes issue over the appeal every year while living {whether he likes it or not } under the protection of those very same armed forces..

blokes a hypocrite..
dogfound

Postby Jock » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:

Why is he all over social media?
Jock

Postby RV Casual » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:40 pm

dogfound wrote:
RV Casual wrote:Mental how outraged people get about it. Lots of people wear the poppy for all the wrong reasons these days.

its not the not wearing.....its that he takes issue over the appeal every year while living {whether he likes it or not } under the protection of those very same armed forces..

blokes a hypocrite..

Care to point me in the direction of where he takes issue over the appeal?

If that's true then I agree, but I don't think it is.

He's chosen not to wear one and explained his reasons, it's other people who can't let it go mot McLean himself.
RV Casual

Postby dogfound » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:02 pm

RV Casual wrote:
dogfound wrote:

blokes a hypocrite..

He's chosen not to wear one and explained his reasons, it's other people who can't let it go mot McLean himself.

this year its social media and cavemen..its something every year..
don't think the explanation holds water or makes any sense at all { and is probably as big a cause for the abuse as anything, I know I was offended by how stupid he thinks people are tbh } ...if you die or get injured in a world war its fine to be remembered.....but if you get killed or injured while serving in an accident the day after the war the RBL should blank you as unworthy.. really ?

our { his as long as decides to work and live here } armed forces have no choice where or when they go or get to decide the rights and wrongs...the RBL don't have a say in foreign policy either they are a charity that's a safety net for our ex servicemen..i don't see any problem with any country having something similar whether they were once our enemy or not..

its about people not governments ..
dogfound

Postby Bella Blue » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Spot on. Most rational post on this subject, sick of the political hijacking of the poppy. Mclean's standpoint is understandable and he is is honest and proud.
Bella Blue

Postby dogfound » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:36 pm

Bella Blue wrote:

Spot on. Most rational post on this subject, sick of the political hijacking of the poppy. Mclean's standpoint is understandable and he is is honest and proud.

if Mclaens stance and ill thought out WW1 AND WW2 excuse isnt politically hyjacking something GOOD AND NON POLITICAL i dont know what is....
dogfound

Postby Bella Blue » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:44 pm

I think his stance is quite clear and not at all Ill thought out. It is others, particularly in more recent years, looking to gain political sway with the poppy who are making a big deal out of it each year.
Bella Blue

Postby RV Casual » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:38 am

dogfound wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
dogfound wrote:

blokes a hypocrite..

this year its social media and cavemen..its something every year..
don't think the explanation holds water or makes any sense at all { and is probably as big a cause for the abuse as anything, I know I was offended by how stupid he thinks people are tbh } ...if you die or get injured in a world war its fine to be remembered.....but if you get killed or injured while serving in an accident the day after the war the RBL should blank you as unworthy.. really ?

our { his as long as decides to work and live here } armed forces have no choice where or when they go or get to decide the rights and wrongs...the RBL don't have a say in foreign policy either they are a charity that's a safety net for our ex servicemen..i don't see any problem with any country having something similar whether they were once our enemy or not..

its about people not governments ..

It doesn't need to make sense to YOU, as its HIS view, which is exactly what those that fought, fought for.
RV Casual

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:40 am

paulh_85 wrote:people get unnecessarily tribal over this sort of stuff. If he doesnt want to wear one then thats his call

Good job lots of people have got tribal and defended your rights and his. Lots of them got killed of course, but who cares about that as long as we're seen to embrace various evil groups who hate us and them ?
Actually I don't wear a poppy myself although I make a donation , because I remember so many of the wonderful men ,( yeah they were generally men), who wasted their previous lives so we could end up with the police arresting people for distasteful jokes about Grenfell Tower and "transphobia". I was fortunate enough not to be killed, but others weren't and I don't want to encourage any kids to go and waste their lives for a country which doesn't like them much.

This nasty little bugger has said plenty of stuff in the past which shows what he is, which is why I didn't want the club to sign him when that seemed possible. In terms of Bloody Sunday, well there are two sides to that story and different versions of who started shooting. In any case, he probably wasn't even born then so if I'm not even sure what happened I don't think he can be.

I don't bear ill will towards anyone at this point, which some can't understand. It was a war you see and bad stuff happens in wars on all sides , but I thought we had a peace process ? If I can now respect those who took part on the other side as men who were acting in their capacity as combatants then I don't see why they can't . We don't prosecute them for what they did during those awful days, but they seem to want different rules for former British soldiers, don't they ?

I get the impression that you're of the persuasion that nothing about our culture tradition or history matters or is worth standing up for. In the sense that you're certainly in the majority, you're probably quite right at this point - anything's okay isn't it ?

That's the view which prevails , so enjoy the outcome which is inevitable, but even though I know I'm pissing in the wind I can't help saying that the man is a wicked little shit and I definitely do object to him going out if his way to stoke up old conflicts which are no more real to him than the last Wolftones song he heard. He's free not to wear a poppy but he could do that quietly like I expect most of those who fought on that side do , and he's free to say what he wants ( unlike people who say stuff the snowflakes don't like), but I can't sit here smiling like an idiot and accept it without answering when you pat him on the head for it.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:24 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

Good job lots of people have got tribal and defended your rights and his. Lots of them got killed of course, but who cares about that as long as we're seen to embrace various evil groups who hate us and them ?
Actually I don't wear a poppy myself although I make a donation , because I remember so many of the wonderful men ,( yeah they were generally men), who wasted their previous lives so we could end up with the police arresting people for distasteful jokes about Grenfell Tower and "transphobia". I was fortunate enough not to be killed, but others weren't and I don't want to encourage any kids to go and waste their lives for a country which doesn't like them much.

This nasty little bugger has said plenty of stuff in the past which shows what he is, which is why I didn't want the club to sign him when that seemed possible. In terms of Bloody Sunday, well there are two sides to that story and different versions of who started shooting. In any case, he probably wasn't even born then so if I'm not even sure what happened I don't think he can be.

I don't bear ill will towards anyone at this point, which some can't understand. It was a war you see and bad stuff happens in wars on all sides , but I thought we had a peace process ? If I can now respect those who took part on the other side as men who were acting in their capacity as combatants then I don't see why they can't . We don't prosecute them for what they did during those awful days, but they seem to want different rules for former British soldiers, don't they ?

I get the impression that you're of the persuasion that nothing about our culture tradition or history matters or is worth standing up for. In the sense that you're certainly in the majority, you're probably quite right at this point - anything's okay isn't it ?

That's the view which prevails , so enjoy the outcome which is inevitable, but even though I know I'm pissing in the wind I can't help saying that the man is a wicked little shit and I definitely do object to him going out if his way to stoke up old conflicts which are no more real to him than the last Wolftones song he heard. He's free not to wear a poppy but he could do that quietly like I expect most of those who fought on that side do , and he's free to say what he wants ( unlike people who say stuff the snowflakes don't like), but I can't sit here smiling like an idiot and accept it without answering when you pat him on the head for it.

You make a lot of assumptions in your reply to Paul and IMO most of them are wrong. You certainly don't seem to have a grasp on the Northern Irish conflict and how ingrained history is on both sides.

I agree with Paul it is up to McClean whether he wears a poppy or not. I personally wear a Poppy with Pride and I love my Country and the way it stood up to Germany twice during the 20th Century.

However if someone else chooses not to wear a Poppy then that is their choice, I don't like their view but as the fallen fought for freedom of speech then I wouldn't dream of imposing my view on them,
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Jock » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:20 am

This scumbag sneered and grabbed his bollox at the National Anthem of the country where he plays and is very handsomely rewarded. He’s not making a point of principle, he’s playing to the cheap seats that’s all.
Interestingly I played golf with a football fan yesterday who , some years ago, slapped a white poppy salesman at Brentford took his money from him and gave it to a guy round the corner selling The Poppy. When his grandfather found out he went ballistic as he fought so “arseholes like the white poppy salesman were free to act like arseholes”.
Jock

Postby Bridgend_bluebird » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:33 am

The problem is a section of the poppy wearers are either attempting to coerce or pressure others into wearing it by usually abuse. Wearing a poppy Is in a sense like voting, you have the right to vote but doesn't mean you have to vote. Not wearing a poppy or not voting isn't gonna make much of a difference to this country anyway. :lol:

But The British Legion do basically say everyone has the right to choose whether or not to wear one andntheyre against coersian. Great charity by the way. :thumbright:
Win or lose I'll Be there with my ticket and a pint!
Bridgend_bluebird

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:47 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

not even gonna read the rest of your nonsense. what a silly thing to say
paulh_85

Postby Jock » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:54 am

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:The problem is a section of the poppy wearers are either attempting to coerce or pressure others into wearing it by usually abuse. Wearing a poppy Is in a sense like voting, you have the right to vote but doesn't mean you have to vote. Not wearing a poppy or not voting isn't gonna make much of a difference to this country anyway. :lol:

But The British Legion do basically say everyone has the right to choose whether or not to wear one andntheyre against coersian. Great charity by the way. :thumbright:

He’s not been coerced, As the thread title says he’s at it again. He wallows in victim hood.
Jock

Postby phildavies » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:53 pm

Jock wrote:This scumbag sneered and grabbed his bollox at the National Anthem of the country where he plays and is very handsomely rewarded. He’s not making a point of principle, he’s playing to the cheap seats that’s all.
Interestingly I played golf with a football fan yesterday who , some years ago, slapped a white poppy salesman at Brentford took his money from him and gave it to a guy round the corner selling The Poppy. When his grandfather found out he went ballistic as he fought so “arseholes like the white poppy salesman were free to act like arseholes”.

How is being a pacifist being an arsehole exactly?
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby Jock » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:06 pm

phildavies wrote:
Jock wrote:This scumbag sneered and grabbed his bollox at the National Anthem of the country where he plays and is very handsomely rewarded. He’s not making a point of principle, he’s playing to the cheap seats that’s all.

How is being a pacifist being an arsehole exactly?

You’d have to ask my mates Grandad mate. Hence the parentheses.
Jock

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:06 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:

You make a lot of assumptions in your reply to Paul and IMO most of them are wrong. You certainly don't seem to have a grasp on the Northern Irish conflict and how ingrained history is on both sides.

I agree with Paul it is up to McClean whether he wears a poppy or not. I personally wear a Poppy with Pride and I love my Country and the way it stood up to Germany twice during the 20th Century.

However if someone else chooses not to wear a Poppy then that is their choice, I don't like their view but as the fallen fought for freedom of speech then I wouldn't dream of imposing my view on them,

You obviously didn't read what I wrote, did you ?
Actually, I'd have a pretty good guess that I know a lot more about History, and particularly Irish History than you and the fact that you make the statement you did about ingrained history in the most recent troubles confirms this.

Tell you what, why don't you expand a bit on all this since you're such an expert ? Educate me upon the finer details of Irish history since the ninth century. Tell me which other nations ,organisations and religions had a part in the eventual outbreak of civil disorder in the late sixties and how much of all this you imagine a docker in Belfast or a farmer from the border region was aware of.
While you're at it, you can tell how we could have dealt with it better - I'm sure you think you know. Where did you acquire your own expertise in the subject, by the way ?

In fact, it was bugger all to do with history but rather like your own statement ,PERCEPTION of history, and this was only part of it anyway, insofar as that's always one tool used to manipulate politics and inflame passions. Wasn't about religion either, by the way,for exactly the same reasons .

As for what it actually was about, we needn't go there really and it doesn't matter in practical terms now, but put simply it was exactly the same as any other war being motivated by the secret manoeuvrings and machinations of a few men wanting money and power, who make an art form of persuading large numbers of people to die for this in the erroneous belief that they're fighting for some worthy cause or another.

As I did actually say in my post , they and you are quite entitled to express an opinion by virtue of the blood of good men but that doesn't vindicate the opinion itself or make it correct. It doesn't take anyone else's right to disagree away, and it doesn't remove anyone's respsibility to apply restraint or respect for the dead to whatever they choose to say.
SirJimmySchoular

Next

Return to General Chat