Too irritating to ignore

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Too irritating to ignore

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:23 pm

I never ever generally winge about mistakes in the way people express themselves or try and pick people up on stuff like that. Its not a schoolroom -BUT - no one here seems to know the difference between "to" and "too".

It's just like ....... Come On!
SirJimmySchoular

Too irritating to ignore

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Too irritating to ignore

Postby NIBluebird » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Two right mate ;)
NIBluebird

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:45 pm

To wit too hoo ! :notworthy:
pembroke allan

Postby City Slicker » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:54 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:I never ever generally winge about mistakes in the way people express themselves or try and pick people up on stuff like that. Its not a schoolroom -BUT - no one here seems to know the difference between "to" and "too".

And..."I could of" or "It might of" etc. Yuk!
City Slicker

Postby Ninianparkspecial » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:07 pm

What about “Could of” instead of “Could have”
Ninianparkspecial

Postby Dahboy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:09 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:I never ever generally winge about mistakes in the way people express themselves or try and pick people up on stuff like that. Its not a schoolroom -BUT - no one here seems to know the difference between "to" and "too".

I do it's 4.
Dahboy

Postby snoopystorm » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:00 pm

Look out, grammar police about :lol:

Text speak annoys me the most, especially when the text is all fine then randomly txt speach dropped in as such
Once a Bluebird, Always a bluebird
snoopystorm

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:27 pm

What is the point of this thread? I mean seriously :lol: Without meaning to offend u do you really have nothing better than complain about grammar on a football forum :lol:
Bluebird Warrior

Postby Brezza » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:40 pm

The worse by far is - there and their. Shocking use of this.
Brezza

Postby City Slicker » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:42 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:What is the point of this thread? I mean seriously :lol: Without meaning to offend u do you really have nothing better than complain about grammar on a football forum :lol:

One should never complain about Grandma, she's a lovely old soul.
City Slicker

Postby dogfound » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Dahboy wrote:

I do it's 4.

:lol:
dogfound

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:08 am

dogfound wrote:
Dahboy wrote:

I do it's 4.

But it’s not is it ?

It’s 0.

I mean I feel bad about pointing out the word thing so I’m reluctant to involve maths
SirJimmySchoular

Postby NIBluebird » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:04 am

City Slicker wrote:
Bluebird Warrior wrote:What is the point of this thread? I mean seriously :lol: Without meaning to offend u do you really have nothing better than complain about grammar on a football forum :lol:

Where is your last question mark :roll: :lol:
NIBluebird

Postby City Slicker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:18 am

NIBluebird wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

Where is your last question mark :roll: :lol:

Bloody hell you're psychic! How did you know my name was Mark?
City Slicker

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:14 am

Its not as if we are all highly educated English teachers on this forum ! :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby Bluebina » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:16 am

I dunno weather two larf or too cry
Bluebina

Postby Dahboy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:34 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Its not as if we are all highly educated English teachers on this forum ! :laughing6:

I'm thick as shit when it comes to English and Maths. Give me a spanner and I can work wonders.
Dahboy

Postby Dahboy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:36 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Dahboy wrote:

I do it's 4.

But it’s not is it ?

It’s 0.

I mean I feel bad about pointing out the word thing so I’m reluctant to involve maths

Told you I was rubbish at maths.
Dahboy

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:19 am

Ninianparkspecial wrote:What about “Could of” instead of “Could have”

Absolutely !
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:21 am

snoopystorm wrote:Look out, grammar police about :lol:

Text speak annoys me the most, especially when the text is all fine then randomly txt speach dropped in as such

Yeah, well you see I can't do that - it doesn't seem right. Everyone takes the piss out of me for sending texts which are fully punctuated and contain only full words .
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:30 am

Dahboy wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Dahboy wrote:

I do it's 4.

But it’s not is it ?

It’s 0.

Told you I was rubbish at maths.

Yeah, that's fine. I'm sorry I mentioned it - it's just that it was wrong, although in a strange way and for some reason I can't explain it somehow sounds right doesn't it ? Using the term "difference"( old fashioned one we used when I was at school) somehow initially makes you want to add them together if you don't think about it. Interesting little offshoot into thought connections actually !
SirJimmySchoular

Postby dogfound » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:25 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Dahboy wrote:

I do it's 4.

But it’s not is it ?

It’s 0.

yes its 0....but was a really good p take out of that rediculous post all the same
dogfound

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:03 am

I agree two it's two annoying two deal with look two the future and two say it won't happen two many more times two :lol:
Pembroke bluebird

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:15 pm

Pembroke bluebird wrote:I agree two it's two annoying two deal with look two the future and two say it won't happen two many more times two :lol:

Now, there's an interesting thing in itself which you remind me of. As far as I know , Wales is the only place in the uk where we add the word "to" at the end of certain questions - "Where are you going to?"
I found it a very hard thing to drop but I had to because it caused surprising confusions where people thought you you were talking about two something or others.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:21 pm

dogfound wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Dahboy wrote:

I do it's 4.

But it’s not is it ?

It’s 0.

yes its 0....but was a really good p take out of that rediculous post all the same

You're quite right of course. If we've learned nothing else from the One Show and Eastenders, we know that it's pointless to try and understand all that learning and schooling stuff - leave that to the clever people and politicians and know your place.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby griff105 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:59 pm

There are two trends currently that irritate me.

Starting sentences with the word so.
I.e. So, my opinion is.....

Using words such as myself, yourself and himself when they are unnecessary
I had an email today that said, '..can you phone myself at yourselfs earliest opportunity...'
Also, 'Dave said that himself will meet myself in Edinburgh on the 27th :banghead:
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor
griff105

Postby dogfound » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:28 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Pembroke bluebird wrote:I agree two it's two annoying two deal with look two the future and two say it won't happen two many more times two :lol:

Now, there's an interesting thing in itself which you remind me of. As far as I know , Wales is the only place in the uk where we add the word "to" at the end of certain questions - "Where are you going to?"
I found it a very hard thing to drop but I had to because it caused surprising confusions where people thought you you were talking about two something or others.

youyou... is that the spelling police version of a yoyo ?
dogfound

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:32 am

No I wasn't complaining particularly, just mentioning it because it seemed odd that no one ever gets that particular thing right here . It's spelling not grammar , by the way, ( they're different you see), but there's no need for you to worry about that stuff - the main thing was that I wanted to reassure you that I'd done all the more important things before I sat down for five minutes to write that. I do appreciate your concern though.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:57 am

griff105 wrote:There are two trends currently that irritate me.

Starting sentences with the word so.
I.e. So, my opinion is.....

Using words such as myself, yourself and himself when they are unnecessary
I had an email today that said, '..can you phone myself at yourselfs earliest opportunity...'
Also, 'Dave said that himself will meet myself in Edinburgh on the 27th :banghead:

I hesitate to comment because the whole thread is upsetting some people, but I must say that I agree on this. It's very trendy to answer any question by first saying , "so..." , but of course it's nonsense . It means absolutely nothing in this context and I can only imagine that some self appointed expert in media relations or similar thought it'd be a good way of avoiding the temptation to say "uh...", or ".. Um.."

I know that some of our chums here are very keen on a bit of grammar and syntax, so I'll also mention that the word is a "sub modifier" , which is to say that it cannot be free standing and must relate to other words in the sentence.

In general I obviously didn't mean to start pulling anyone up on their use of language , ( you'd be doing that all day and I certainly don't bother to be correct myself here), but it does surprise me that people have been so touchy on the subject . I'd have expected it in a lot of other areas, but this business of people wearing their own ignorance like a badge of honour didn't used to be a thing people in South Wales did.
SirJimmySchoular

Return to General Chat