O/T Grenfell Tower effigy

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:03 pm

Just wondering what peoples thoughts on this were.

If anyone hasnt seen the video, its pretty sick, a group burning an effigy of the grenfell tower while laughing and joking about it.

Theyve been arrested, a decisions which seems to be splitting opinion, dont agree with it myself however sick their supposed joke was.
paulh_85

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: O/T Grenfell Tower effigy

Postby piledriver64 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Difficult one this because my initial reaction was that they should be locked up indefinitely on the grounds of being sickos !!

However, there doesn't seem to be any discrimination of any specific part of the community and, apart from the idiot who shared it on social media, I suppose they could argue that it is "free speech" in a private setting.

I'm not sure whether they can be prosecuted on some sort of "public decency" angle (morally I'd like to see it happen) but if not I think we'll just be stuck with treating these actions with the contempt they deserve.
piledriver64

Postby Jock » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:12 pm

paulh_85 wrote:Just wondering what peoples thoughts on this were.

If anyone hasnt seen the video, its pretty sick, a group burning an effigy of the grenfell tower while laughing and joking about it.

Theyve been arrested, a decisions which seems to be splitting opinion, dont agree with it myself however sick their supposed joke was.

My problem with the whole taking offence thing is how selective people are about what offends them. I’ve saw comedians mock 9/11 and many of those taking offence to the Grenfell Tower thing would have laughed at that because it was in the States. Really don’t think it’s a police matter.
Jock

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:13 pm

Well you're quite right and I'm pleased to find something I can agree with you about.
It's an appalling and significant stage on the road to a totalitarian hell. More than that actually - more like the "Welcome to hell, please drive carefully" sign.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Sneggyblubird » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:51 pm

Jock wrote:

My problem with the whole taking offence thing is how selective people are about what offends them. I’ve saw comedians mock 9/11 and many of those taking offence to the Grenfell Tower thing would have laughed at that because it was in the States. Really don’t think it’s a police matter.

They could be done for inciting distress or hurt.Lets face it,if anyone on here had lost a loved one in that fire and came across these idiots how many could say they wouldn't wanna lamp them.Its worth noting though that that it may not be their actions but choosing to share it on the internet that gets them done.
Sneggyblubird

Postby TommyP » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:52 pm

5 of them arrested for an insensitive video about it, yet no one has been arrested for the real thing... :roll: :roll: :roll:
TommyP

Postby snoopystorm » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:02 pm

Police are also looking into the burning of the Union Jack in Leeds last night at an organised bonfire display
Once a Bluebird, Always a bluebird
snoopystorm

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
Jock wrote:

They could be done for inciting distress or hurt.Lets face it,if anyone on here had lost a loved one in that fire and came across these idiots how many could say they wouldn't wanna lamp them.Its worth noting though that that it may not be their actions but choosing to share it on the internet that gets them done.

you wouldnt really find anyone who would condone what these idiots did. but "inciting distress or hurt" as a reason for arresting someone is a slippery slope.
paulh_85

Postby Jock » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:01 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
Jock wrote:

Not saying they don’t deserve a slap but with actual violent crime rocketing I think police should be concentrating on that rather than offensive stuff online.
Jock

Postby Nuclearblue » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Was what they done sick ? Yes
Was what they done a police matter ? Definitely not never in a million years. Now the police are there to keep order ensure no one breaks the law etc etc. The Police are not the thought Police and that is setting a very dangerous precedent indeed. Who are they to decide what is offensive and what is not, who are they to decide what is funny and what is not. And who are they to decide what you can flaugh at and what is not ?
Sorry it’s the first step to the police running your every day lives. What one person finds offensive others couldn’t give a damn. But at the end of the day they Burnt a cardboard box and five people have been arrested for it. Whilst those that put up the cladding that led to the real fire have not had any charges there way.
No this is another step towards a dictatorship state that will tell you how you can live and what you can say or do.
Nuclearblue

Postby Mr Potato » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:12 pm

They apparently handed themselves in to police which suggests they have seen the fall out from their actions, realised it offended people and after doing something at the time they thought funny did the right thing.

They are worse things that happen, this is insensitive and was done with little thought but as people have suggested 9/11 was mocked as were many other tragic events.
Mr Potato

Postby City Slicker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Locking the twats up is too good for them. I'd round them up and hand them over to the Grenfell families to sort out. Evil shite
City Slicker

Postby Bluebird1990 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:38 pm

It was in very poor taste but you cant arrest people for being pricks, seriously they cant charge them with anything
Bluebird1990

Postby Sneggyblubird » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Was what they done sick ? Yes
Was what they done a police matter ? Definitely not never in a million years. Now the police are there to keep order ensure no one breaks the law etc etc. The Police are not the thought Police and that is setting a very dangerous precedent indeed. Who are they to decide what is offensive and what is not, who are they to decide what is funny and what is not. And who are they to decide what you can flaugh at and what is not ?
Sorry it’s the first step to the police running your every day lives. What one person finds offensive others couldn’t give a damn. But at the end of the day they Burnt a cardboard box and five people have been arrested for it. Whilst those that put up the cladding that led to the real fire have not had any charges there way.
No this is another step towards a dictatorship state that will tell you how you can live and what you can say or do.

Don't buy this mate.They at least they had the good sense to hand themselves in, otherwise believe me they would have been found and had some sort summary justice dished on the spot.If the police had let this go it could have been far worse than it is.The internet has got alot to answer for.
Sneggyblubird

Postby Nuclearblue » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:17 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:

Don't buy this mate.They at least they had the good sense to hand themselves in, otherwise believe me they would have been found and had some sort summary justice dished on the spot.If the police had let this go it could have been far worse than it is.The internet has got alot to answer for.

Let the people judge them. I think it was alcohol related and at the time they thought it was funny. No it’s in very bad taste but you can’t arrest someone for burning a box.
There is more anger from this than a child being raped and abused. I honestly think people should reset there moral compass just slightly Chief
Nuclearblue

Postby dogfound » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:50 pm

its sick...but no sicker than many chants at the football ive heard over the years.....Aberfan ,a variety of Munich songs...keep off the railways...and recently leaving Stamford bridge a group of our fans were singing their own version {words changed } of the Will Giggs thing...didn't catch the first line but the second line was defo Grenfells on fire...
dogfound

Postby wez1927 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:27 pm

It was sick but shouldnt be a police matter
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby ajbr14 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:33 pm

It was obviously a disgraceful effigy in extremely poor taste, I don’t think it can even be classed as humour. However, it was in somebody’s back garden, not exactly in a public area so I don’t see how it is disturbing the peace. Also, at which point do you stop once you begin arresting people for these sorts of acts. Surely, burning effigies of politicians can be seen as inciting violence and hatred, especially post-Jo Cox. Personally, I think trial by public opinion is punishment enough for them. The police should turn their attention away from this sort of pond life and actually start serving justice to the pen pushers in Kensington Council who signed off on the Grenfell redevelopment, despite the repeated concerns of the residents. These arrests only pull attention away from the real culprits.
ajbr14

Postby Jimmy Scoular » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:33 pm

Eighteen children burnt to death, waiting for the flames to envelop them as they screamed knowing they were doomed. What kind of scum makes fun of events like this? One thing their lives will change dramatically what with media attention.In this day and age employers are jittery about their employees input into the social media input. Equally what about the prospect of a vigilante who has lost loved ones ? They will all be living like a witches cat from now on, all their names are out including where they live!!
Jimmy Scoular

Postby City Slicker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:07 pm

[quote="Jimmy Scoular"]Eighteen children burnt to death, waiting for the flames to envelop them as they screamed knowing they were doomed. What kind of scum makes fun of events like this? One thing their lives will change dramatically what with media attention.In this day and age employers are jittery about their employees input into the social media input. Equally what about the prospect of a vigilante who has lost loved ones ? They will all be living like a witches cat from now on, all their names are out including where they live!!

I hope they get so much shit kicked out of them they'll be carrying their arses in shopping bags.
City Slicker

Postby dogfound » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:52 am

mostly agree.
but not with your last line..its public reaction and over reaction to things posted on social media not any drive towards a dictatorship state in this case as with many others..

20 years ago the same incident would have remained with those present and might have been a tale to tell amongst mates..now someone whips a phone out and its national outrage which puts presure on politicians and our police..
dogfound

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:35 am

dogfound wrote:

mostly agree.
but not with your last line..its public reaction and over reaction to things posted on social media not any drive towards a dictatorship state in this case as with many others..

20 years ago the same incident would have remained with those present and might have been a tale to tell amongst mates..now someone whips a phone out and its national outrage which puts presure on politicians and our police..

I can't see that arresting people for making jokes which someone doesn't like is anything other than state tyrany.
It appears implicit in your statement that the legal establishment must act according to public opinion rather than laws and evidence - well, this is the one thing which no legal system should ever do ,or there is no point in its existence and we return to mob rule , lynchings and witch hunts.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:52 pm

It probably become an hate crime as is the way now! Whilst a bit sick haven't the police got better things to do than waste time on idiots? Next time there's a tower block fire shown on tv news will people call for broadcaster to be prosecuted for showing hurtful images in respect of grenfell?
Guess towering inferno is band from tv for ever. :shock:
pembroke allan

Postby Dahboy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:38 pm

City Slicker wrote:Locking the twats up is too good for them. I'd round them up and hand them over to the Grenfell families to sort out. Evil shite

What a ridiculous statement you idiot.
Dahboy

Postby shinyBlueGlue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:51 pm

Bad taste for sure and they are a bit sick to even come up with the idea

However, it is a private party and as long as they are not physically hurting anyone I cannot see how it is anything other than a bunch of dopey bollocks not thinking through their actions

Prince Harry dressed as a Nazi !

You have to wonder who is recording what these days and what foolish thing could make you become the next youtube victim.

I think they should be talked to and that's it on this occasion
City Till I Die
shinyBlueGlue

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:18 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:Bad taste for sure and they are a bit sick to even come up with the idea

However, it is a private party and as long as they are not physically hurting anyone I cannot see how it is anything other than a bunch of dopey bollocks not thinking through their actions

Prince Harry dressed as a Nazi !

You have to wonder who is recording what these days and what foolish thing could make you become the next youtube victim.

I think they should be talked to and that's it on this occasion

That's it and a public apology matter ends at no cost to public and no wasted police time :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:44 pm

Not a nice thing to do at all but also not a criminal offence as far as I can tell.

What did Anjem Choudary get for burning poppies something like a £50 fine under public order act or something along those lines and that was in public rather than a private garden (although it being put on youtube muddies the water somewhat I guess).

As someone else said in the thread being a prick isn't illegal (yet) so nothing to do with the police really as far as I'm concerned.

:ayatollah:
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:48 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:Not a nice thing to do at all but also not a criminal offence as far as I can tell.

What did Anjem Choudary get for burning poppies something like a £50 fine under public order act or something along those lines and that was in public rather than a private garden (although it being put on youtube muddies the water somewhat I guess).

As someone else said in the thread being a prick isn't illegal (yet) so nothing to do with the police really as far as I'm concerned.

:ayatollah:

But we live in a must act on anything seen on social media ffs people reported many years after event and where it's cool to complain to the politically correct officials? Besides the police got nothing better to do as over staffed! :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby dogfound » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:31 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
dogfound wrote:

mostly agree.

I can't see that arresting people for making jokes which someone doesn't like is anything other than state tyrany.
It appears implicit in your statement that the legal establishment must act according to public opinion rather than laws and evidence - well, this is the one thing which no legal system should ever do ,or there is no point in its existence and we return to mob rule , lynchings and witch hunts.

no I didn't suggest they must act....just said what did happen....they have actually been released.
dogfound

Postby City Slicker » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 am

Dahboy wrote:
City Slicker wrote:Locking the twats up is too good for them. I'd round them up and hand them over to the Grenfell families to sort out. Evil shite

What a ridiculous statement you idiot.

f**k off you brain-dead tw*t
City Slicker

Next

Return to General Chat