Matthew Connolly?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Matthew Connolly?

Postby Sloper Road » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:55 pm

Any idea why he was ever in our squad?...
Sloper Road

Matthew Connolly?

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Connolly

Postby Dahboy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:22 am

Sloper Road wrote:Any idea why he was ever in our squad?...

And still is is the baffling thing for me. Has to be banging someone at the club.
Dahboy

Re: Matthew Connolly?

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:39 am

Would have had Pilkington in the squad instead.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Edwardsccfc16 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:34 am

Only reason Is because he’s our only cover for CB, was ill for the cup game, otherwise he would’ve played. He’s been very good and loyal to our club over the years, especially at hard times, but I think it’s time to go, not good enough for championship as seen in QPR away and Preston home last season. Warnock needs to bring in a CB and a RB I think, don’t think he’ll get them both this January though which is disappointing, Cahill would be a good option.
Edwardsccfc16

Postby BarryWelsh88 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:07 am

Edwardsccfc16 wrote:

Only reason Is because he’s our only cover for CB, was ill for the cup game, otherwise he would’ve played. He’s been very good and loyal to our club over the years, especially at hard times, but I think it’s time to go, not good enough for championship as seen in QPR away and Preston home last season. Warnock needs to bring in a CB and a RB I think, don’t think he’ll get them both this January though which is disappointing, Cahill would be a good option.

Cahill would not be an option if we were miraculously able to afford him - he would be our highest ever paid player and a guaranteed starter. However the suggestion is a guaranteed non-starter
BarryWelsh88

Postby fred keenor » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:30 am

He was underated when he first joined us,and Malky got the best out of him.
He needs to be playing regularly though, championship lower table at best now.
Would be good to move him on,and the best for him as well to be playing regularly at his age.
fred keenor

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:34 am

It was strange we have him a new deal in the summer.
2blue2handle

Postby fred keenor » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 am

I suspect it was loyalty and only having a small budget which meant we kept him.
Would do a good job for Bolton or Ipswich etc.
fred keenor

Postby dogfound » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:56 pm

fred keenor wrote:He was underated when he first joined us,and Malky got the best out of him.
He needs to be playing regularly though, championship lower table at best now.
Would be good to move him on,and the best for him as well to be playing regularly at his age.

500k which was quite a bit at the time ,product of Arsenals academy who had already been part of 3 promotion winning teams..so not sure about under rated until MM got hold of him.
dogfound

Postby Llan_Blue » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:18 pm

To answer the dumb question. He is cover for the defence he can play every single position across the back four. We haven’t had any injuries luckily so he hasn’t been needed.

As for the special ones of you who are saying it would of been better to have Pilkington in the squad can you please explain to me what would of happend if bamba and manga both got injured and Connolly wasn’t in the squad.

f**k sake there’s not many brains on this forum lately
Llan_Blue

Postby Sloper Road » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:38 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:To answer the dumb question. He is cover for the defence he can play every single position across the back four. We haven’t had any injuries luckily so he hasn’t been needed.

As for the special ones of you who are saying it would of been better to have Pilkington in the squad can you please explain to me what would of happend if bamba and manga both got injured and Connolly wasn’t in the squad.

Calm down you jumped up piece of scum.
The question is valid. What would happen in a game if Bamba and Morrison got injured? Oh yes let's put Matt Connolly on, as he's our back up centre half....oh hang on.. He's not on the bench, he's never on the bench... Shit we are doomed.
I think Warnock would put Pelts or Patterson even or a fit Richards in the middle of the defence before Connolly. So why put him the squad? Or even more strange is why didn't he buy a back up centre half who is better than Connolly who has seen better days. It would also be unfair just to drop him in to prem action when he has not had a sniff of squad action on a match day either.
And yes if it was a choice between him and Pilkington I'd choose Pilkington and put Patterson back into defence. But it didnt have to be choose in the first place Imo .
The forum is for debate you don't have to respond if you think the topic is beneath you. Arse...
Sloper Road

Postby City Slicker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:11 pm

No, a journeyman at best. Certainly not Premier quality
City Slicker

Postby dogfound » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:31 pm

Sloper Road wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:To answer the dumb question. He is cover for the defence he can play every single position across the back four. We haven’t had any injuries luckily so he hasn’t been needed.

The question is valid. What would happen in a game if Bamba and Morrison got injured? Oh yes let's put Matt Connolly on, as he's our back up centre half....oh hang on.. He's not on the bench, he's never on the bench... Shit we are doomed.
I think Warnock would put Pelts or Patterson even or a fit Richards in the middle of the defence before Connolly. So why put him the squad? Or even more strange is why didn't he buy a back up centre half who is better than Connolly who has seen better days. It would also be unfair just to drop him in to prem action when he has not had a sniff of squad action on a match day either.
And yes if it was a choice between him and Pilkington I'd choose Pilkington and put Patterson back into defence. But it didnt have to be choose in the first place Imo .
The forum is for debate you don't have to respond if you think the topic is beneath you. Arse...

with a 25 man squad your always going to have 1 or 2 that hardly feature , as it happens we have not had an injury crisis at the back but think you need the cover just in case..
your post suggests some has been instead of Connolly ,who would also not have featured or who would have pushed someone else off the bench who would then not have featured..
as for Pilks I quite like him but the manager does not { Connolly actually had more league minutes last season of the 2 with Pilks topping up in the cups } or does Warnock see Patterson as a defender..
dogfound

Postby Llan_Blue » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:42 pm

Sloper Road wrote:

:lol: :lol: first off I never mentioned Connolly being on the bench. Bamba an Manga could get injured in training they could get injured in Asda could happen anywhere.

Patterson at centre back is the worst idea you could possibly have since he can’t defend very well.

Your right this forum is about debate but suggesting we overload our squad with average attackers at the expense of defensive cover is just dumb.
Llan_Blue

Postby Sloper Road » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:26 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Sloper Road wrote:

:lol: :lol: first off I never mentioned Connolly being on the bench. Bamba an Manga could get injured in training they could get injured in Asda could happen anywhere.

Patterson at centre back is the worst idea you could possibly have since he can’t defend very well.

Your right this forum is about debate but suggesting we overload our squad with average attackers at the expense of defensive cover is just dumb.

For such a dumb post you to show an interest in making comments..
The point about Connolly being a back up centre half is that he's never used as cover on the bench. If we have an injury to our centre half in a game , Warnock will juggle things around by using a full back to cover, my point is he seems to prefer this before he considers using Connolly as back up by having him on the bench... Keeping up are you...
As regards Patterson, at the start of the season he was in the squad as a defender, he's in the Scotland squad as a defender too. Warnock must have thought he was a defender, much like Connolly and in an emergency during a game he could cover as a centre back because he was preferred on the bench to Connolly .
The point being made about Pilkington by some was that in than less than ideal situation( ideal being we would have signed a centre half and a striker) then having Pilkington was a better option than Connolly....hope you kept up...
Why do you think all of this a dumb? It may not be what you agree with but it is a view held by some, just respect that.
Sloper Road

Postby maltablue » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:00 pm

Coz voldermourt shelvey turned him down as his stunt double ;)
maltablue

Postby Llan_Blue » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:05 am

Sloper Road wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
Sloper Road wrote:

For such a dumb post you to show an interest in making comments..
The point about Connolly being a back up centre half is that he's never used as cover on the bench. If we have an injury to our centre half in a game , Warnock will juggle things around by using a full back to cover, my point is he seems to prefer this before he considers using Connolly as back up by having him on the bench... Keeping up are you...
As regards Patterson, at the start of the season he was in the squad as a defender, he's in the Scotland squad as a defender too. Warnock must have thought he was a defender, much like Connolly and in an emergency during a game he could cover as a centre back because he was preferred on the bench to Connolly .
The point being made about Pilkington by some was that in than less than ideal situation( ideal being we would have signed a centre half and a striker) then having Pilkington was a better option than Connolly....hope you kept up...
Why do you think all of this a dumb? It may not be what you agree with but it is a view held by some, just respect that.

Patterson was never in the squad as a defender :lol:

I have no respect for people’s views if there this stupid.
Llan_Blue

Postby nubbsy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:39 am

He's been a great servant to this club. Some people still can't grasp the concept of 'squad players'.
nubbsy

Postby dogfound » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:45 am

2blue2handle wrote:It was strange we have him a new deal in the summer.

he played 36 games for Warnocks QPR championship winning side so I assume although Warnock does not see him as a first team player he does have trust in him as a squad player, you can call it loyalty but its just as likely Warnock knows that at least 50% of transfers do not work for one reason or another so why gamble on a cover CB when we have one that's happy to be here..
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 am

nubbsy wrote:He's been a great servant to this club. Some people still can't grasp the concept of 'squad players'.

beats me mate, Liverpool currently have 3 CBs out if that happened here he would probably play or at the very least be required on the bench. no idea why Pilks who hardly featured last year and is now even further down the list in the managers eyes having signed 4 players to fill spots further up the field during the summer keeps being mentioned either.
dogfound

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:55 pm

dogfound wrote:

he played 36 games for Warnocks QPR championship winning side so I assume although Warnock does not see him as a first team player he does have trust in him as a squad player, you can call it loyalty but its just as likely Warnock knows that at least 50% of transfers do not work for one reason or another so why gamble on a cover CB when we have one that's happy to be here..

Sorry I just don't see the point still, rarely in the team last season, rarely in the squad this season. If we got a mass of injuries surely someone in the youth set up can step up for a few games and why a 2 year deal, why not 1.
2blue2handle

Postby dogfound » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:59 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Sorry I just don't see the point still, rarely in the team last season, rarely in the squad this season. If we got a mass of injuries surely someone in the youth set up can step up for a few games and why a 2 year deal, why not 1.

no idea how strong we are in that position at youth level. but honestly if your going to have fringe players { which all clubs have } I think your better off having ones that have some sort of affinity and fit in which he does .
dogfound

Postby Sloper Road » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:49 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Sloper Road wrote:

So vital he's off to Hull......well thought out dumbo!....
Sloper Road

Postby dogfound » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:36 pm

Sloper Road wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
Sloper Road wrote:

how is your foot ?
dogfound

Postby Llan_Blue » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:50 pm

Sloper Road wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
Sloper Road wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Llan_Blue

Return to General Chat