Can we get this straight. Emiliano was NOT killed

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Savigma » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:06 pm

1 or 2 newspaper articles have described Emiliano's death as a "killing" or has been "killed".

If my grandmother/father dies of a heart attack, they were not killed by their heart.

Car crashes when it's purely environmentally caused, and if the car is skidding on ice, the person who dies in the car crash is not "killed". Killed in a car crash is when somebody is either charged with murder or manslaughter.

I can't see why I feel like I'm the only one who has a huge problem with the wording of killed, it's insensitive and incorrect.

As you can see, the synonyms for "killing" says it all, "murder, taking of life, assassination, homicide, manslaughter, liquidation, elimination, putting/doing to death, execution". Does that describe how Emiliano died? No, so stop saying "it's the same" or it doesn't matter, because it does.
Attachments
Killing.png
Killing.png (12.55 KiB) Viewed 4550 times
Last edited by Savigma on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savigma

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Can we get this straight. Emiliano was NOT killed

Postby Savigma » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:06 pm

Savigma wrote:1 or 2 newspaper articles have described Emiliano's death as a "killing" or has been "killed".

If my grandmother/father dies of a heart attack, they were not killed by their heart.

Car crashes when it's purely environmentally caused, and if the car is skidding on ice, the person who dies in the car crash is not "killed". Killed in a car crash is when somebody is either charged with murder or manslaughter.

I can't see why I feel like I'm the only one who has a huge problem with the wording of killed, it's insensitive and incorrect.

As you can see, the synonyms for "killing" says it all, "murder, taking of life, assassination, homicide, manslaughter, liquidation, elimination, putting/doing to death, execution". Does that describe how Emiliano died? No, so stop saying "it's the same" or it doesn't matter, because it does.
Savigma

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Do you know for a fact he wasn’t killed?
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby lockey1927 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Savigma wrote:1 or 2 newspaper articles have described Emiliano's death as a "killing" or has been "killed".

Now let's look at the word killed
Attachments
Screenshot_20190210_133842.jpg
Screenshot_20190210_133842.jpg (300.04 KiB) Viewed 4406 times
lockey1927

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:47 pm

It's a terminology that can be used in countless situations sorry op is being pedantic! If use word die that can be used in many situations so be interesting to have the proper terminology to be used? And seriously this is a forum for discussion not a classroom on use of queens English. :o
pembroke allan

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Killed in a crash, died in a crash, dead as a result of a crash, all means the same to me and I guess most others. Most people do not check the dictionary for a precise meaning before writing or posting something. If someone had written murdered, or slain, or words to that effect, fair enough. I have never associated "killed in an accident" as anything sinister.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Deano1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:09 pm

He WAS killed, in an accident. He was not murdered. There's a big difference
Deano1

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Killed in a crash, died in a crash, dead as a result of a crash, all means the same to me and I guess most others. Most people do not check the dictionary for a precise meaning before writing or posting something. If someone had written murdered, or slain, or words to that effect, fair enough. I have never associated "killed in an accident" as anything sinister.

Steve hes got this thing about word (killed) as he refers to it in 3 different threads? Love to know how you would describe decide death? You could only say was killed in plane accident or he's died in a plane accident! Could say (crash) instead of accident but that's it. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby Sven » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:05 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:Killed in a crash, died in a crash, dead as a result of a crash, all means the same to me and I guess most others. Most people do not check the dictionary for a precise meaning before writing or posting something. If someone had written murdered, or slain, or words to that effect, fair enough. I have never associated "killed in an accident" as anything sinister.

Steve hes got this thing about word (killed) as he refers to it in 3 different threads? Love to know how you would describe decide death? You could only say was killed in plane accident or he's died in a plane accident! Could say (crash) instead of accident but that's it. :old:

Agreed and this is the THIRD thread the OP has made the same errors! :roll: :oops:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=205023

The term 'accident' is rarely used today, as it has implications in Law after a guy got away with a case when despite his client clearly causing the collision, his Barrister argued that "an accident is an unforeseen sequence of events leading to..." and the word 'accident' was mentioned in the Police Report, so his client could not reasonably be held to account

The judge agreed and the case was dismissed before the wording was later changed, e.g. a Road Traiff Accident (RTA) became a Road Traffic Collision (RTC) until the full facts of occurrence were known

Sauvigma needs to read a little more rather than saying (quote) "I didn't read..." :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby rumpo kid » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:35 pm

Hence the term ‘ roadkill’.
rumpo kid

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:44 pm

If you die, you are killed. Unless it's natural causes. Really don't understand the fuzz about this..
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby BlueVanman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:39 pm

This 'killed' - 'killing' thing is really eating you up inside fella. Take a deep breath, look at the bigger picture and just let it go :oops:
BlueVanman

Postby BarryWelsh88 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:41 pm

This post is unbelievable. As if his family give a cr@p what terminology has been used ffs!!
BarryWelsh88

Postby wez1927 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:34 pm

Of course he was killed ,He was killed in a plane accident ffs
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby Fordy_90 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Chilllll Winston, it doesn't really matter at this stage, it seems as though you hate the fact there may be someone to blame for his death, there probably is, but they wouldn't have intended his death, but gross negligence on their part could be the reason why he was killed, but ultimately the plane, potentially the pilot, potentially the planes maintenance, potentially lack of care from agents all could have gotten him killed or should I say influenced his death,
Fordy_90

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:02 pm

BarryWelsh88 wrote:This post is unbelievable. As if his family give a cr@p what terminology has been used ffs!!

I agree, a bit unbelievable and pathetic.
A bit like your posts yesterday.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Cardiff dyskinesia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:44 pm

You’re right, If your grandmother/ father dies of a heart attack, they weren’t killed by their heart, but killed by the condition that affected the heart. Wouldn’t a mountaineer who died in an avalanche, have been killed in an avalanche?
Cardiff dyskinesia

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Savigma wrote:

Heart attack deaths are from natural causes car crash deaths caused by ice rain ect are called accidents, think you need to tell us what terminology you would use to describe the demise of david and ameliano? You hate the expression killed so how would you describe how they died? :o
pembroke allan

Postby Dahboy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:16 pm

My friend was killed in a car crash he was the only person in the car, it hit a lamppost?
Dahboy

Postby dogfound » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:19 am

what an absolutely mental thread.
dogfound

Postby angelis1949 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:10 am

What part of being killed in a aircraft crashing into the English Channel do you not understand
angelis1949

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:25 am

Ridiculous argument supported by some nonsense internet dictionary.

He certainly was killed by the correct OED definition. Stop digging
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Dahboy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:54 am

I think you are getting it mixed up with the word murdered ?
Dahboy

Postby dogfound » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Ridiculous argument supported by some nonsense internet dictionary.

the internet dictionary he has used is correct , the example given is ...her father was killed in a car crash.
is that not the same as Emiliano Sala was killed in a plane crash.?
dogfound

Postby BarryWelsh88 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:24 am

Please can we delete this distasteful and pathetic thread.
BarryWelsh88

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 am

dogfound wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:Ridiculous argument supported by some nonsense internet dictionary.

the internet dictionary he has used is correct , the example given is ...her father was killed in a car crash.
is that not the same as Emiliano Sala was killed in a plane crash.?

Yes it is, and I'm agreeing with your view completely.

However the half arsed dictionary which he quotes leaves some doubt because it says other stuff which is unclear and has obviously confused his understanding of this vary basic verb.

Giving examples of usage isn't usually the way to define words - it's something an infant school teacher might do , and my point was that if he'd looked in the Oxford English Dictionary , which is what we take to be the defining authority in standard English, he'd be in no doubt. If we want to use standard American English we look at Websters, but there's no way out for him there either because it says the same thing.

Look, it's very very basic English and I'd have expected my kids to have known it by the age of 12. It's the past participle of the verb "Kill" , and there is no intrinsic meaning within it as to how the object of the sentence became dead, except that - being a verb- something must have been done to bring it about. It need not even have been done by a sentient being ,since a falling rock for example can do it. It most certainly does not include or imply motive or negligence and it's giving me a headache reading this ......individual persisting with his ridiculous old fanny upon the subject.

We all make mistakes, but if we do we really shouldn't go on to try to prove them.
SirJimmySchoular

Return to General Chat