“ CARDIFF CITY PLAYER IN TEAM OF THE WEEK “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:45 pm

Sol Bamba has been named in Garth Crooks’ Team of the Week for BBC Sport.

Monday 11th February 2019

Full team below.

Did you know? Sol Bamba has made 26 blocks in the Premier League this season; the most of any player for Cardiff City.

GOALKEEPER

Tom Heaton - Heaton's save from Solly March at Brighton wasn't bad but the one from Pascal Gross was top class. However, it was the second goalbound strike from March that I thought was world class and destroyed any chance of Brighton getting back into this match. Heaton is back between the sticks and looking magnificent. If he keeps playing like this, Joe Hart had better start looking for another club.

DEFENDERS

Chris Smalling - I don't think I've seen anyone play Aleksandar Mitrovic so effectively all season. Chris Smalling never gave him a kick. I've been watching the Serb bully and manipulate defenders for years but Smalling was having none of it. Not bad for a player who's struggling to maintain a regular place in the Manchester United team.

Sol Bamba - They would have been dancing in the streets of Abidjan when Sol Bamba scored Cardiff's opening goal in their 2-1 win at Southampton. The Ivory Coast international's goals are giving Cardiff hope and his form bodes well for his national team. Not since Kolo Toure took the Premier League by storm as a young Ivorian defender with Arsenal has a player looked so potent in attack and so authoritative in defence. A leader if ever I saw one.

Andy Robertson - I just love watching this kid play. Apart from anything else, he has nerves of steel. The ball he played for for Georginio Wijnaldum to score was just wonderful and the side-foot volley when Sadio Mane should have scored was just sensational. There is nothing more frustrating for a striker than a full-back who offers nothing going forward and I've played with enough to know. Robertson is a striker's dream and the best I've seen since Ashley Cole.

MIDFIELDERS

Georginio Wijnaldum - Sickness and diarrhoea can sweep through a club like wildfire. So imagine when one of your star players comes to training suffering from the symptoms. Panic ensues! Not so with Liverpool and Georginio Wijnaldum. The Netherlands international insisted he could play and produced an outstanding performance against a Bournemouth side outclassed from start to finish.

Paul Pogba - The win at Fulham was a walk in the park for Manchester United and Paul Pogba. The France midfielder scored two goals and spent most of the match strolling around Craven Cottage like he was the Lord of the Manor. He then came off the field after 74 minutes, presumably to save his legs before United's Champions League fixture against Paris St-Germain, to a standing ovation. The harsh truth for Fulham is that United looked as though they were in a different league. If Fulham continue to play like this, they very soon will be.

Christian Eriksen - This was one of the worst performances I've seen from Spurs - but they could finish and Leicester couldn't. If Harvey Barnes had a little composure in front of goal, he'd be dangerous. Conversely Christian Eriksen looked cultured and shone like a diamond in the rough. The fact that Claude Puel keeps Jamie Vardy on the Leicester bench when it's patently obvious that he's the best striker at the club is ludicrous. Whatever problems exist between the manager and the player need to be resolved. This nonsense is killing the team.

Raheem Sterling - I originally selected Bernardo Silva in my team for producing another outstanding performance against a shell-shocked Chelsea. But when Sterling got his second goal, having made Sergio Aguero's first, I had to go for the England international. Sterling is scoring goals he would have missed two seasons ago which is an indication of his enormous development under Pep Guardiola. As for Chelsea - for a top six club to be beaten 6-0 in a Premier League fixture is quite outrageous. What on earth is going on at Stamford Bridge?

STRIKERS

Roberto Firmino - I could have picked any one of the 'red arrows' against Bournemouth. Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino were all magnificent and could have made my team. I've gone for Firmino because, without him, the team doesn't function quite the same. He makes Liverpool tick in the same way Luis Suarez and Philippe Coutinho used to. I also selected him just to prove (as rumour has it) that you don't have to score goals to make my team.

Sergio Aguero - I would have loved to have been in a position to select Burnley's Chris Wood for his performance against Brighton as it deserved recognition. However when you've got Sergio Aguero in this form, you're asking me to do the impossible.

Anthony Martial - His goal at Fulham was simply superb. He went past Fulham's Denis Odoi and Maxime le Marchand as if they weren't there. The France international then calmly stroked the ball past Sergio Rico into the back of the net to send United fourth in the table. United's total resurgence must be killing Jose Mourinho.

88691E2A-47C8-434C-9895-8E9A237D5A47.jpeg
88691E2A-47C8-434C-9895-8E9A237D5A47.jpeg (73.89 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: “ CARDIFF CITY PLAYER IN TEAM OF THE WEEK “

Postby Sven » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Congratulations, Capt. Sol Bamba :notworthy:

Well deserved! :clap:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby bluesince62 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Sven wrote:Congratulations, Capt. Sol Bamba :notworthy:

Well deserved! :clap:

Fully deserved,remember Warnock saying he was as good as liverpools van diyk (scuse the spelling if wrong :lol: ) well in our team,he certainly means as much to us :ayatollah: very humble man,but a beast on the pitch :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
bluesince62

Postby stuey1981 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:05 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Sol Bamba has been named in Garth Crooks’ Team of the Week for BBC Sport.

Monday 11th February 2019

Full team below.

Did you know? Sol Bamba has made 26 blocks in the Premier League this season; the most of any player for Cardiff City.

GOALKEEPER

Tom Heaton - Heaton's save from Solly March at Brighton wasn't bad but the one from Pascal Gross was top class. However, it was the second goalbound strike from March that I thought was world class and destroyed any chance of Brighton getting back into this match. Heaton is back between the sticks and looking magnificent. If he keeps playing like this, Joe Hart had better start looking for another club.

DEFENDERS

Chris Smalling - I don't think I've seen anyone play Aleksandar Mitrovic so effectively all season. Chris Smalling never gave him a kick. I've been watching the Serb bully and manipulate defenders for years but Smalling was having none of it. Not bad for a player who's struggling to maintain a regular place in the Manchester United team.

Sol Bamba - They would have been dancing in the streets of Abidjan when Sol Bamba scored Cardiff's opening goal in their 2-1 win at Southampton. The Ivory Coast international's goals are giving Cardiff hope and his form bodes well for his national team. Not since Kolo Toure took the Premier League by storm as a young Ivorian defender with Arsenal has a player looked so potent in attack and so authoritative in defence. A leader if ever I saw one.

Andy Robertson - I just love watching this kid play. Apart from anything else, he has nerves of steel. The ball he played for for Georginio Wijnaldum to score was just wonderful and the side-foot volley when Sadio Mane should have scored was just sensational. There is nothing more frustrating for a striker than a full-back who offers nothing going forward and I've played with enough to know. Robertson is a striker's dream and the best I've seen since Ashley Cole.

MIDFIELDERS

Georginio Wijnaldum - Sickness and diarrhoea can sweep through a club like wildfire. So imagine when one of your star players comes to training suffering from the symptoms. Panic ensues! Not so with Liverpool and Georginio Wijnaldum. The Netherlands international insisted he could play and produced an outstanding performance against a Bournemouth side outclassed from start to finish.

Paul Pogba - The win at Fulham was a walk in the park for Manchester United and Paul Pogba. The France midfielder scored two goals and spent most of the match strolling around Craven Cottage like he was the Lord of the Manor. He then came off the field after 74 minutes, presumably to save his legs before United's Champions League fixture against Paris St-Germain, to a standing ovation. The harsh truth for Fulham is that United looked as though they were in a different league. If Fulham continue to play like this, they very soon will be.

Christian Eriksen - This was one of the worst performances I've seen from Spurs - but they could finish and Leicester couldn't. If Harvey Barnes had a little composure in front of goal, he'd be dangerous. Conversely Christian Eriksen looked cultured and shone like a diamond in the rough. The fact that Claude Puel keeps Jamie Vardy on the Leicester bench when it's patently obvious that he's the best striker at the club is ludicrous. Whatever problems exist between the manager and the player need to be resolved. This nonsense is killing the team.

Raheem Sterling - I originally selected Bernardo Silva in my team for producing another outstanding performance against a shell-shocked Chelsea. But when Sterling got his second goal, having made Sergio Aguero's first, I had to go for the England international. Sterling is scoring goals he would have missed two seasons ago which is an indication of his enormous development under Pep Guardiola. As for Chelsea - for a top six club to be beaten 6-0 in a Premier League fixture is quite outrageous. What on earth is going on at Stamford Bridge?

STRIKERS

Roberto Firmino - I could have picked any one of the 'red arrows' against Bournemouth. Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino were all magnificent and could have made my team. I've gone for Firmino because, without him, the team doesn't function quite the same. He makes Liverpool tick in the same way Luis Suarez and Philippe Coutinho used to. I also selected him just to prove (as rumour has it) that you don't have to score goals to make my team.

Sergio Aguero - I would have loved to have been in a position to select Burnley's Chris Wood for his performance against Brighton as it deserved recognition. However when you've got Sergio Aguero in this form, you're asking me to do the impossible.

Anthony Martial - His goal at Fulham was simply superb. He went past Fulham's Denis Odoi and Maxime le Marchand as if they weren't there. The France international then calmly stroked the ball past Sergio Rico into the back of the net to send United fourth in the table. United's total resurgence must be killing Jose Mourinho.

88691E2A-47C8-434C-9895-8E9A237D5A47.jpeg

I believe thats 2 weeks in a row. Also his goal yesterday reminded me a little of sherringhams winner in the 99 champions league final
stuey1981

Postby Melsuttonholyboots » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 pm

We had three players in Stuart Pearce 's team of the week after Bournemouth, Sol, Patterson and Reid.
Melsuttonholyboots

Return to General Chat